post #1171 of 6826 Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post

Hi all, I am new to this forum and joined because of the excellent content in the posts. I am interested in the KEF KHT 3005 (NON SE Version) and want to know if the USA version is dual voltage (ie. 110-220 Volts, 50-60z) ? I would also like to know if the same is true for the Onkyo TX-SR606 Receiver.

Does anyone own this combination ? How does it sound for Home cinema & Music ? I listen to Music via an iPOD connected to basic Altec Lansing speakers.

Sam

To be frank, anything discussed in these forums will generally sound better than your iPOD and speakers. Will the 3005 sound better than that? Yes. How much better... I'd venture quite a bit, up to a point. Remember that you are listening to compressed audio. While that might not sound terrible when walking down the street, there is a huge audable diffrence between MP3/AAC and Redbook CD-Audio.

Please comment on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
projects!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 6826 Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Hello everyone!

(excuse me for my bad English btw)

I recently bought an Onkyo 606 with the KEF 3005 speaker system and I am really amazed by how good these speakers sound. I tested the sound with some Blu-rays like Spider-Man 3, Black Hawk Down and Underworld and the sound was truely amazing. I also watched Rambo 4, with DTS and that also sounded better than I expected.

Although everything seems to be working just fine I have a few questions regarding some settings. I hope someone can answer these for me.

When I ran the audysse setup it set my speakers to "full band" which I thought was wrong so I corrected this and set them to 80hz each(front, center and rear) and the sub to 80hz as well. Is this correct or should I use other settings?

Do you guys ever use the "Pure Audio" option when listening to DVD's or Blu-rays? More of a Onkyo specific question...

Besides that I can't find an option where I can put my speaker setting to "small" and I would like to know if I should use 4ohms or 6ohms, speaker manual says something about 8ohms but the onkyo 606 doesn't have a 8ohm setting...Is that a bad thing with these speakers?

Thanks for the help. I'll post some pictures later to show you my new setup! Nothing too fancy though as it is only my bedroom..
post #1173 of 6826 Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegixxer View Post

Hello everyone!

(excuse me for my bad English btw)

I recently bought an Onkyo 606 with the KEF 3005 speaker system and I am really amazed by how good these speakers sound.Although everything seems to be working just fine I have a few questions regarding some settings. I hope someone can answer these for me.

When I ran the audysse setup it set my speakers to "full band" which I thought was wrong so I corrected this and set them to 80hz each(front, center and rear) and the sub to 80hz as well. Is this correct or should I use other settings?

Other than your message about how great the speakers sound your questions really seem better suited to the Onkyo thread for your particular receiver (speaker size, setup, etc). I would recommend checking with the Onkyo lovers here for more information.

Please comment on my
and
projects!
post #1174 of 6826 Old 05-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post

Other than your message about how great the speakers sound your questions really seem better suited to the Onkyo thread for your particular receiver (speaker size, setup, etc). I would recommend checking with the Onkyo lovers here for more information.

Well the question about ohms and frequency is really speaker specific and also the most important question i'd like to be answered that's why I posted it here, but the rest is indeed a little more onkyo specific, however I've read a lot of posts here and most of them have the onkyo 605 which is really similar to the 606.
post #1175 of 6826 Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Well the question about ohms and frequency is really speaker specific and also the most important question i'd like to be answered that's why I posted it here, but the rest is indeed a little more onkyo specific, however I've read a lot of posts here and most of them have the onkyo 605 which is really similar to the 606.

Well since I have the 705 with the kef 3005 i might as well respond, I don't recall the pure audio setting, but as for the ohms the 6ohms is actually 6 ohms or greater so if you want 8 ohms you would select the 6ohms setting.
post #1176 of 6826 Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

80Hz is probably OK, but you may even want to use 100Hz with those speakers.

Quote:

Besides that I can't find an option where I can put my speaker setting to "small"..............

There probably is not a specific option to do that. The speakers are either "full-band" (LARGE) or whenever a crossover setting is chosen they are automatically, by definition, SMALL.

Quote:

..............and I would like to know if I should use 4ohms or 6ohms, speaker manual says something about 8ohms but the onkyo 606 doesn't have a 8ohm setting...Is that a bad thing with these speakers?

As Skippman said, you may want to ask this in the receiver forums, particularly if there is a specific thread for this model. If you are in another country, though, the receiver may be different electronically than those sold in the US. I would think that the receiver would default to 8 ohms and the 4 and 6 settings are only utilized if specifically chosen. If there is no way to choose 8 ohms, it may be that in your country receivers must operate at 6 ohms (or are not allowed to run at 8 ohms). If so, use the 6 ohm setting.

Quote:

Well the question about ohms and frequency is really speaker specific................

Not really. The speakers are 8 ohm speakers, correct? So, you want the receiver to be set to 8 ohms. If you do not know how to do this, then you definitely have a question regarding the receiver. But again, specifics of the 605 may not be relevant to the 606.

Your English is fine, btw.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #1177 of 6826 Old 05-31-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks 88al88 and sivadselim for your responses. I've set the speakers to 6ohms since I can only choose 4 or 6 and 4 seems a bit low. Also I have the speakers set to 80hz. Audyssey set them to "Full Band" however, don't know why...
post #1178 of 6826 Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 AM

Hi.
My first post.
I have a pair of Kef iQ3, is it better iQ6C or iQ2C for center speaker?
The Onkyo TX-SR 606 is a good match with Kef iQ?
Tks
post #1179 of 6826 Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Hello. First time poster here. I have a couple of KEF Q55 speakers. One of which has the upper speaker blown. It has a part number of SP1377 stamped on it.

Google has come up empty. Any ideas where I can find this part ???
Thanks in advance!

- John
post #1180 of 6826 Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM

@atnisgoski

I have 4 iQ1s and use the iQ2C. The 2c is absolutely incredible and outperforms my old polk center channel. If you only have the 605 I'd go with the iQ2C. The iQ6C may be a little over kill.
post #1181 of 6826 Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnisgoski View Post

Hi.
My first post.
I have a pair of Kef iQ3, is it better iQ6C or iQ2C for center speaker?
The Onkyo TX-SR 606 is a good match with Kef iQ?
Tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan777 View Post

@atnisgoski

I have 4 iQ1s and use the iQ2C. The 2c is absolutely incredible and outperforms my old polk center channel. If you only have the 605 I'd go with the iQ2C. The iQ6C may be a little over kill.

The iQ2c is an appropriate center for the iQ1s as this provides you with an absolutely identical single 5.25" drivers as the iQ1s.

But, for the iQ3s, which have 6.5" drivers, I would recommend the iQ6c which, even though it has 5.25" drivers, it is a more capable center than the iQ2c.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #1182 of 6826 Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Hello. First time poster here. I have a couple of KEF Q55 speakers. One of which has the upper speaker blown. It has a part number of SP1377 stamped on it.

Google has come up empty. Any ideas where I can find this part ???
Thanks in advance!

So, I guess the Q55's are headed to the trash bin.
I'd like to demote them to the dining room if I could find a replacement SP1377.

Does anyone from KEF ever chime into this forum?

- John
post #1183 of 6826 Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

i can get it for you straight from KEF if you would like

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida

see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #1184 of 6826 Old 06-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I'd like to demote them to the dining room if I could find a replacement SP1377.

From kefs site

How do I get my speakers serviced?

Please note that all service related issues should initially be taken up with the place of purchase. Contact details for authorized KEF retailers can be found on our dealer section of this site. Should you experience problems with a particular retailer then please contact the authorized distributor for your country (also available under the dealer section).

How long do you support old models?
It is our policy to maintain a healthy back-up of parts for a period up to ten years. All other models are supported up to eight years from last date of production. In some cases, stocks of parts can become exhausted before our policy date, due to supplier problems, in these rare cases we will do our best to offer an alternative. For those speakers outside of the serviceable date, it is unlikely that we will be able to support with any spare parts, however it is worthwhile contacting your nearest local distributor who may have parts in stock that are no longer available from the factory.

Try contacting a dealer from the website closest to you.

or contact the dealer above me
post #1185 of 6826 Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

i can get it for you straight from KEF if you would like

Thanks Brad. Email sent!

- John
post #1186 of 6826 Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all you high end speaker lovers i put up on our website something i thought would be kind of fun. Its a 7 step process of properly setting up your speakers to image and soundstage, i did this after wanting to get even better performance out of the C4's take a look and see what you think... its on under Projects on our site at www.premieracousticlifestyles.com

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida

see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #1187 of 6826 Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin21856 View Post

Yeah, I started looking around to see if i could find stands with similar base sizes to the KEF, but even then I'm not sure it would work..thanks for the reply

I just set up a set of 3005's last night, they sound great and I was also looking for an alternative stand to the kef stands. I was hoping these might be made to work (adjustable and inexpensive):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pr_product_top
Sanus EF-SATB (in case the link does not work).
post #1188 of 6826 Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseer View Post

Sanus EF-SATB (in case the link does not work).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002481EQ

post #1189 of 6826 Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002481EQ

Yup, that's them, thanks for correcting the link. Has anyone used them for the 3005's?
post #1190 of 6826 Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 PM

Hi I have not heard the iq7's and iq9's but have read good things. I plan on making the 1.5 hour drive soon to hear these speakers real soon. I have listened to Energy RC30's(my fav so far),c500 Polk Rti5 and 7's Kilpsch lV line and some others. My question is have any of you heard the RC30's and if so how would you compare them to the IQ7's or 9's?
post #1191 of 6826 Old 06-08-2008, 02:18 AM

If I have banana plugs (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) attached to my wires will those fit into the binding posts of the Q series speakers or will only the bare wire fit in?

Also, would using 14 guage or 12 guage be ideal for this speakers connected to a Onkyo 705B (longest run to the rears would be at most 30'-35' feet (getting to the left surround while running the speaker wires along the right wall under the baseboards).

Aslo, what color do you recommend I should go with? I really do like the dark apple color however my TV (Samsung 52"), stand, and most components (save for the XBox 360) are all black. Would dark apple match with all of that (in a bonus room with off white/beige walls and carpet).

Last but not least...If I am getting the iQ7 for the fronts, iQ3s for the rears, which would be a better match for the center; the iQ2c or the iQ6c? The reason I ask is because the price difference between them is double (i.e. iQ2c is $299 and the iQ6c is $599). Is it worth the extra $300?
post #1192 of 6826 Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Okay. No replies to email so the trash bin it is.

Thank you KEF.

- John
post #1193 of 6826 Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Okay. No replies to email so the trash bin it is.

Thank you KEF.

Why? Brad offered to try and get it for you straight form KEF, didn't he. He is a KEF dealer.

post #1194 of 6826 Old 06-08-2008, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo View Post

If I have banana plugs (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) attached to my wires will those fit into the binding posts of the Q series speakers or will only the bare wire fit in?

The Q's binding posts will work fine with bananas.

Quote:

Also, would using 14 guage or 12 guage be ideal for this speakers connected to a Onkyo 705B (longest run to the rears would be at most 30'-35' feet (getting to the left surround while running the speaker wires along the right wall under the baseboards).

14ga should be fine, although if you are concerned or just want to have the bigger wire, then you could also use 12ga.

Quote:

Aslo, what color do you recommend I should go with? I really do like the dark apple color however my TV (Samsung 52"), stand, and most components (save for the XBox 360) are all black. Would dark apple match with all of that (in a bonus room with off white/beige walls and carpet).

We can't answer this. I would say that the dark apple will work fine with black.

Quote:

Last but not least...If I am getting the iQ7 for the fronts, iQ3s for the rears, which would be a better match for the center; the iQ2c or the iQ6c? The reason I ask is because the price difference between them is double (i.e. iQ2c is $299 and the iQ6c is $599). Is it worth the extra $300?

For the iQ7s in front, most definitely the iQ6c. I would only pair an iQ2c with the iQ1s.

post #1195 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 AM

I have a Snoy STR-DG1100 receiver and I am considering upgrading my speaker setup from a set of Solid Satellites/Sub - 8 yrs Old, music oriented rather the HT and a center/Surround from Tehcnics - 7 yrs ols dipole. I am looking to more HT-BD, DVD's and some music use with Jazz, Latin and Hard Rock as the main music sources. Any information about the better choice for my HT room is appreciated.

My room is as follows:
14 x 12 but open in the back into the living room & Kitchen - all told 42 feet in lnegth by 14 and one side open in the back into an indoor patio with a cathedral ceiling-not the ideal room, but it is what it is...

I currently feel there is a lot of sound bleeding in the back open side of the indoor patio on the left surround, hoping a targeted rather than dipole will relieve some of that loss. The sound fields for surround is not sharp on that side.

Front setup is on stand at about 3 feet high
Surrounds are on wall mount at about 6 feet high

Any lower will prove difficult since I have two toddlers that would love to hang from them or some other fun stuff with stuff hung on the wall.

I would appreacite honest feedback in comparing these two as they seem relatively similar in sound quality from overall reviews and posts.

I can get the Kef's for about $1450 and the Klipsch for about $1100. I liked the Kef's a lot more sound wise in the demo rooms, although I read about the bass loss in the threads here...the aesthethics are better in the Kef's - personal taste

The Quintet SL I liked as well. I read they have some sound field loss if driven hard.

Also, any feedback on the receiver as a capable power source? I just got the DG1100 in Costco for $450 Close out, so it seememd to good to pass up given I have a Blu-Ray VAIO and a Bravia KDL-46VL130 and theatre sync was very attractive

Regards,
Quique
post #1196 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquepr View Post

I can get the Kef's for about $1450 and the Klipsch for about $1100.

What KEFs? What Klipschs? Did I miss something?

These are 2 completely different sounding speakers, btw.

post #1197 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Kef 3005SE's or Klipsch Quintet SL+Sub-10 SW
post #1198 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquepr View Post

Kef 3005SE's or Klipsch Quintet SL+Sub-10 SW

You should be able to find the kef 3005 for cheaper than that.
post #1199 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM

I have the 3005. After some calibrating, and tweaking the bass sounds great now. Or maybe they are just broken in now....

Anyways, the 3005 are an awesome set, and you should be able to get them for right under $1000 shipped.

I dont know anything about the klipsch.

Xbox Live: LoftyStream
PSN: LoftyStream
post #1200 of 6826 Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM

Any guidance in whee I can find them for under 1K? I have tried Oncecall, Vanns & 6Ave but they are all in the 1.5K range and some do not ship to Puerto Rico.

regards,
Quique
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page