swans 5.2F vs polk audio lsi15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I am debating between these two speaker models. I have heard the swans and they are excellent. The only reason i am considering the polks are that I have a polk speaker 7.1 surround system already. I can get the the two swan towers and a 4.2 center for about the same price as two LSi15 fronts. Any help would be appreciated. I use the speakers for 60% HT and 30% gaming and 10% music.

Thanks!

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you plan to power them?
post #3 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimdpt
Hi guys,
I am debating between these two speaker models. I have heard the swans and they are excellent. The only reason i am considering the polks are that I have a polk speaker 7.1 surround system already. I can get the the two swan towers and a 4.2 center for about the same price as two LSi15 fronts. Any help would be appreciated. I use the speakers for 60% HT and 30% gaming and 10% music.

Thanks!
If you get the 5.2's, get the 5.2C center instead of the 4.2C. The new center will match much better. The 5.2C's just came out. :D :cool:
post #4 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl
How do you plan to power them?
I have a HK DPR 1001 receiver. If I need more power i will take any advice.
Thanks

post #5 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

for the lsi15s i think it will be definitely in your best interest to get a 2 channel amp or something, they are power hungry devils
post #6 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really know a lot about the differences in the types of drivers and tweeters and woofers. Does anybody know about the quality differences between the speakers?

post #7 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

well 5.2F are less than half the price of the LSi15, so they will of course have cheaper "everything".

LSi15 has a vifa tweeter, a powered sub, and a midrange driver

5.2F has a soft dome tweeter that doesnt really compare to the vifa tweeter at all, the midrange and woofers are going to be so-so, however the polks sub and midrange should definitely proivde more "sound" than the swan 5.2f

i would personally get the LSI9s, which have two midranges and a vifa tweeter, and then you can get a sub to fill in the lows.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce
well 5.2F are less than half the price of the LSi15, so they will of course have cheaper "everything".

5.2F has a soft dome tweeter that doesnt really compare to the vifa tweeter at all, the midrange and woofers are going to be so-so, however the polks sub and midrange should definitely proivde more "sound" than the swan 5.2f

i would personally get the LSI9s, which have two midranges and a vifa tweeter, and then you can get a sub to fill in the lows.
I can actually get the LSI15 at a discounted cost for about 1100.00 for the pair. The swans cost about 1000 for the pair. I am also considering the LSI 9 since I already have a subwoofer but i figured the towers would give me a larger sound stage. I may be wrong since I have not heard the LSI 9's in person. If I am wrong please let me know. Also, just because the LSI 15's look amazing :D

post #9 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

You got a Fry's discount or something? :D

anyways, id go with the LSI15s, but it depends on how much you can get the LSi9s for and how good of a sub you could get with them

i have a feeling you wouldnt need quite the amplifier with the lsi9s ;)

edit: im a fool, the lsi15s DONT have a powered sub, they have an 8" unpowered driver.

i would still say they will have better highs, mids, and probably lows, than the swans, of course you still would need a hefty amplifier. Power stereo amplifier for $400 at 300w per channel would do ya good ;)
post #10 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You got a Fry's discount or something? :D

anyways, id go with the LSI15s, but it depends on how much you can get the LSi9s for and how good of a sub you could get with them

i have a feeling you wouldnt need quite the amplifier with the lsi9s ;)

edit: im a fool, the lsi15s DONT have a powered sub, they have an 8" unpowered driver.

i would still say they will have better highs, mids, and probably lows, than the swans, of course you still would need a hefty amplifier. Power stereo amplifier for $400 at 300w per channel would do ya good ;)
I am tempted to get the LSI 9's but i figure with a decent pair of stands, the price difference between the two would be small. Also, do you think the 15's would sound poor without an additional amp?

post #11 of 18 Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

well can you get the lsi9s on discount too?? i mean stands are $100 a pair.. no need to spend more than that

if you want the lsi9s to really shine you can get a behringer a500 stereo amp

and then spend $500 on a hsu sub or smoething for a great musical experience

hell now that i think about it ive heard the LSI5 have a tigher midrange due to the single midrange instead of dual, so if you can get that on a super discount then have the hsu crossover relatively high i think you might have somethin :cool:
post #12 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
i mean stands are $100 a pair
To accommodate the LSi9, you need better stands. These are very heavy speakers and cheap stands will tip and wouldn't give a solid foundation. Get a stand you could fill with shot or sand for this monitor. The LSi9 is a one of a king performer IMO.

My vote would be for the Polks over the Swans. In it's (Lsi15) price range nothing I can really think of would sound better. Plus, it's very attractive and built very solidly. I have no real problem with the Swans and I have not heard the particular model you speak of. I have heard and seen a 'lot' of quality control issues with other ID (made in China) brands, though. Just to be fair, I'm seeing QC problems across the board for all products assembled in China.....not just ID brands. I do feel the non-ID brands are able to address and control the QC problems, though.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #13 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

alright sanus steel foundations for $150-$200, super solid stands

or i think av123 has some godo ones for the heavy ass x-ls on their website too right??
post #14 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a HK DPR 1001 receiver. If I need more power i will take any advice.
Thanks
The LSi's are 4 Ohm, you might need different power. I am not familiar with the DPR.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 05:10 AM

It's absolutely false to imply that the swans may be of lesser quality than the Polks. :rolleyes: I have an older set of the rosewood Swan 6.1s, and the sound and quality of the speakers can favorably compete with speakers in the $2-3k range. The rosewood finish is smooth as glass without so much as a blemish, even after over a year's use, and is much nicer looking than the Lsi's by far, imo, and the soft dome tweeter used on the swans is wonderful, vocals sound very natural, not harsh or bright. It is a very neutral, well balanced speaker that throws very large soundstage, and it also has plenty of bass for 2 ch music, not bloated or boomy. Just want to clear up any misconceptions out there about the quality of these speakers. ;)
post #16 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

I agree. The Swans sound great. I am a fan of the way they sound and the way they look. All things considered, i wanted to know if both can be had for about the same price, then which one would be preferred. I know tastes can vary but I wanted to know people's opinions regarding the sound and quality of components for the stated models. I know Swan and polk make better and cheaper models in their line.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:

I don't intend to start a debate, but I feel I need to comment. The drivers in all Swans speakers are simply exceptional performers at our selling prices, and the tweeter alone is a Scandanavian-style 28mm dome with Neo motor that does a trememdous job. Likewise, the alloy dish cones and their low-distortion motors are developed in house by Asia's largest speaker brand.

Swans know what they're doing, gotchaforce, and at the prices we've listed the Divas at (including New Egg, which is REALLY hammering them down, including freight :eek: ) have no linear relationship to speaker or component quality, IMO, when compared direct to B&M.

Just a clarification for our friends out there...

Jon Lane
The Audio Insider
post #18 of 18 Old 09-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I agree. The Swans sound great. I am a fan of the way they sound and the way they look. All things considered, i wanted to know if both can be had for about the same price, then which one would be preferred. I know tastes can vary but I wanted to know people's opinions regarding the sound and quality of components for the stated models. I know Swan and polk make better and cheaper models in their line.
I've never heard the Polk Lsi's, did you read reviews/comparisons over at www.theaudioinsider.com? All I know is I easily preferred the 6.1s over my Kef Reference 2s. Maybe someone over there has heard both. Good Luck!
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page