Seek opinions on Canton Karat speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although Canton claims to be the largest loudspeaker manufacturer in Germany, somewhat limited product information and review on the Karat line could be found on Internet and in this forum. Authorized dealer network for Canton seems a tad small in the US. When a "relatively" local Canton dealer is identified, the store usually do not have demo units set up for audition or carry it in stock. The speakers have to be special ordered, just like those made by B&W and Dynaudio.

So, I'm looking for opinions from folks who have owned or audition the Canton Karat speakers. How are the Canton Karat speakers compare to the comparably priced ones such as those made by B&W and Dynaudio? Especially in terms of imaging, accuracy, and soundstage. Any help would be appreciated.

-- loeric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
loeric,

I own a complete Canton set and couldnt be happier. I use the Karat 711s for mains, vento 807s for surrounds and the killer AS850 for sub. no center channel.

I work for a B&W dealer and we have all popular models on display at our stores, so I get plenty of opportunities to compare the sounds.

I bought the Cantons because to my ears, they had better imaging, better dynamics, bigger soundstage, tighter bass and looked a lot better.

I read where someone thought the B&Ws low end sounds "tubby" and I think this sums it up well. The Karats are super tight and defined in the low end, helped out by my Parasound Halo A51.

On the tweeter, the Cantons are better than the regular B&W metal dome, but maybe not quite as clean as the diamond. In a departure from past Canton products, the tweeter is not bright and harsh. It may still be a tad bright, but all harshness is gone - its super clean and smooth.

Overall, the Karats are very neutral and revealing. Imaging is laser sharp and 3 dimensional.

I listen to all types of music, but my love is rock/hard rock/progressive metal. with this type of music, its not even close - the Cantons bury the B&Ws. Drums and guitars are simply more realistic. It sounds like they are in the room.

I've actually had an email exchange with head of Canton marketing in Germany asking him to get a magazine in the states to review the Karats, but so far no has come. Its too bad too because they are voiced quite different than the Vento's - which have received quite a good bit of press. The easiest way to describe the difference is the Ventos hit you like a 10lb rubber mallet, the Karats like a sledgehammer. Both very effective, but I prefer the sledgehammer approach.

BB
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page