Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 3677 Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the volume level on the receiver affect this auto on functionality? I typically use my home theater for watching TV and movies. I don't listen to music that frequently. When I turn on the receiver to watch my statellite (TV) the sub is not functioning unless I manually turn the switch from 'auto' to 'on'. Could this be caused by my receiver's low volume level and/or because typical TV content does not have enough low frequency effects for the sub to recognize? Just trying to understand if this is common HT experience or a problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3677 Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post

When I turn on the receiver to watch my statellite (TV) the sub is not functioning unless I manually turn the switch from 'auto' to 'on'

Just before M&K went bankrupt, Barry Ober, M&K's chief engineer, responded to this question when I emailed him about the same behavior in the MK75 MkIV sub that I just purchased from them. He said that the "auto-on" switch was really a marketing gimmick, and that I could either leave the sub on or off as I preferred. My older-model MK75 (used in a different setup) doesn't have an "off" switch and makes an awful noise whenever the AC power went on or off, so I leave it on. The newer one can be switched on and off without fuss, so I turn it off to save on my electricity bill.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #273 of 3677 Old 04-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post

Does the volume level on the receiver affect this auto on functionality? I typically use my home theater for watching TV and movies. I don't listen to music that frequently. When I turn on the receiver to watch my statellite (TV) the sub is not functioning unless I manually turn the switch from 'auto' to 'on'. Could this be caused by my receiver's low volume level and/or because typical TV content does not have enough low frequency effects for the sub to recognize? Just trying to understand if this is common HT experience or a problem...

It's normal, as far as I'm concerned. It happens with my other-branded auto-on subs all the time.

By the same token, if there's not enough of a signal for the sub to turn on, then is there really any need for the sub to be on anyway? It probably won't put out any sound at those levels if you're below the auto-on threshhold in the first place.
post #274 of 3677 Old 04-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Has anyone had any experience with the M&K in wall speakers? Such as quality of sound and if you have used them in wall or in ceiling? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
post #275 of 3677 Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etlindberg View Post

So, the question is, should I try to pick up a used set of LCR750s for the fronts and a set of 550s or 55 tripoles for the rears? This would mean taking out the S125s

Hi ET, I'm afraid I don't have any real insight to help you make your decision but if you decide to take out the S125s, I'd be interested in taking them off your hands to replace my S125s with blown tweeters.

On a related note, now that M&K is out of business, it's been hard to find anyone with the necessary parts to service my S125s. Has anyone had any luck getting their M&Ks serviced?

-ed
post #276 of 3677 Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM

I don't know if M&K had any authorized service centers. I only heard about folks sending their speakers directly to M&K for repair. From now on it looks like a business opportunity for a good speaker tech to cannibalize working parts from damaged M&K speakers to make repairs. Please post your results if you find someone to repair you S125s.
post #277 of 3677 Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM

Need help.
How to mount SW-150 in-wall speaker in a brick wall cover with cement?
The thick of wall about 70 cm.
post #278 of 3677 Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

I just joind the M&K family with a set of 750thx fronts, 550thx rears, and the 1250thx sub..

all being driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX

all of this purchased arround 99/2000 and in perfect unabused condition...

(oh god i need a new reciever, amp, ect)
post #279 of 3677 Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSKate View Post

sad to see a quality brand go, whats gonna happen to MK? taken over by chinese?

a chinese person has sucessfully registered the MK label in china....

New MK Stores opening up in china
http://bbs.mksound.com.cn/viewthread...age%3D1&page=1

It's interesting on that trademark registration.

The application date in the upper right is 8/27/2004. The application was reviewed, the lower left date on 10/28/2006 and approved on 01/28/2007.

Something I know from working with contract manufactures in China is that many are actually very sensitive to having the proper approval from the owning manufacturer to use their trademarks. We only hear about the bad, but there are many honest a good manufacturers too.

Regarding stores opening up in China, if I had high end products I would hope I could sell them in China. It not easy to do, first you have to have a name in the US or Europe. China has lots of people with lots of money now and are a huge growing consumer market.
post #280 of 3677 Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 AM

I just got my M&M 750 THX MKII system from my local dealer in Sweden.

They are some nice looking speakers, has the type of finish that I like and feels genuine built. I won't go in on exactly why I think MK (or possible some other brand name) will produce speakers in the future, but I do think that is the case from the information I have of what's going on at the moment. I'm well aware that MK is bankrupt and out of business, specially in the US

My set up is with the LCR 750 mains, Surround-55 tripole surrounds and the VX-1250 SFX subwoofer. My spontaneous reaction when I first tested it with 2-channel and no sub was, it sounds crap! But a few minutes later with some placement issues and the sub in the game changed things dramatically to the better. The thing is I have never had any good speakers worth the name in this room before so it is very hard for me to compare with anything else. But I was very impressed after the first minutes of bad feelings

My room is 4,2x4,6 meters and I must say to the least that the sub impresses the hell out me. I spent several hours playing music in 2 channel mode and the sub blends in perfectly to my taste. Well, it's not the 2000W MegaBooster we are used to nowadays but it has some qualities and that is seamless incorporation with the main channels.

I have not received my wall mounting brackets yet, and before I can get them on the exact location on the wall I won't test the SS-55 seriously.

/Chuck

'Musicality' is the last refuge of a tweak.
post #281 of 3677 Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM

BTW, is the metal grill permanently mounted on the cabinet, seems like it's hard to get them of...?

/Chuck

'Musicality' is the last refuge of a tweak.
post #282 of 3677 Old 06-20-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhutfang View Post

Need help.
How to mount SW-150 in-wall speaker in a brick wall cover with cement?
The thick of wall about 70 cm.

Besides a very large hammer and some dynamite... I actually had a fellow in th UK who had to mount some SW150' in a castle wall and we sent some rather complex engineering drawings back and forth.
At the moment I can't find them - they might be archived on a HD somewhere - but I will look, and repost the pix if I find them.

The end result is to have enough contact space available behind the front plate to use a slow release adhesive which will also make it an airtight fit; and then the grille holds on [the front] with magnets, and since the grille is larger, you can be a bit sloppy with cutting the hole and you can still line up the grilles a little.

Remember to put the tweeters on the INSIDE.

Before you go ripping up a wall, how about seein a room layout??? !!!

Barry

I realize it is a LOT of work, requiring some serious tools with expensive bits.
post #283 of 3677 Old 06-21-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundoctor View Post

Remember to put the tweeters on the INSIDE.

Barry,

What difference will this make? I have the older 150s with the tweeters on the outside and often wonder what the difference would be if i had the newer layout.

Lee
post #284 of 3677 Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Per Barry's recommendation, I put the tweeters of my S-150P's to the inside and it really narrowed in the soundstage. Much nicer with them in than out.

Chet
post #285 of 3677 Old 06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
is M&K really out of business?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #286 of 3677 Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanpants View Post

Barry,

What difference will this make? I have the older 150s with the tweeters on the outside and often wonder what the difference would be if i had the newer layout.

Lee

The page that explains this is still posted here:
http://www.mksound.com/150_config.htm

Mind you, the difference is USUALLY subtle, but if the side walls an the tweeters on the outside line up in such a way that there is too much HF splay reflection off the side wall, then it might smear the image a little. In the earliest days people put the LR (since there was only stereo) way too close together, like on the sides or NEAR the sides of a small-ish TV set. Therefore the subtended angle was kind of small, and in order to maximize the separation the suggestion was made to put the tweeters on he outside.

That's the kind of tweaking that with a little patience can make remarkable differences in a room.

Barry
post #287 of 3677 Old 06-21-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this Barry Ober posting? If so, I see you're in Florida now (on the Gulf of Mexico). If you ever get a chance to swing by Houston for some odd reason, please send me an IM. I'd love for you to swing by.

Here's hoping we make it out of hurricane season "untouched".

Chet
post #288 of 3677 Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM

I recently inherited the following M&K speakers from a friend:

1 pair of sattelite - 1B
1 Volkswoofer - 1B

I know the speakers are pretty old but they still looks great and seems to operate pretty well. I wanted to add this to my Sony HT-DDW790 HTIB.

I have some documentations that came with the speakers but not really sure how this can be connected to my current 5.1 system and have the following questions:
1. Should I just connect the Volkswoofer directly to the Subwoofer output?
2. Should I just replace my surround speakers with the M&K Satellite speakers? If so, should I replace the front or rear?
3. Should I just follow the M&K instruction and connect the Satellite speakers to the Volkswoofer? But where would I plug the volkswoofer from the receiver?
4. Is there a need for an Amp or pre-amp with my setup? If so, what do you recommend?
5. Is it even worth using these speakers at all with my current setup?

Right now I tested it with the Satellite connected to the volkswoofer and the volkswoofer connected to the subwoofer output of the receiver. I'm getting good result with the sub but assuming I'm not really using the satellite speakers as what it's meant to be.

I'm new with all this as you can tell and would appreciate any feedback you can share.

From what I've read with M&K so far, they're great quality speakers and it's a sad that they had to go out of business.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff
post #289 of 3677 Old 06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Goeff, when you run the Volkswoofer high level (speaker wire), you run left and right to the sub, and pass through full-range to the satellites. M&K made an LP-1S that you may want to find to run the sats highpassed. A better bet is to use the sub out of an AV receiver, and set the highpass to the satellites in the receiver at 80 Hz.

These old components had a bit of "rough and boom" but they were a lot of fun, and they're definitely worth keeping and using. I still speak with some of my customers from the '80s who bought these with Audionics of Oregon electronics, and the systems are still working better than 90% of what you can buy today. Make sure your electronics are comfortable with a 4 ohm load.

Enjoy your classic gems.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #290 of 3677 Old 06-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the input.

I have several more questions if you don't mind, but before that I want to let you know that I played around with it last night and did the following:
- Connected the Volkswoofer directly to the receiver
- Used the M&K satellites as my rear surround and connected it directly to the receiver.
- Placed the Volkswoofer in the corner of the room

I tell you, I can really feel the Ummps and Booms of the low base in the room compared to the HTIB (Sony HT-DDW685) sub that I originally had. There was a point that I actually had to lower the receiver volume in the middle of the movie.

I was quite pleased, however when there are loud points on the movie, I can hear some rattlings on the volkswoofer speaker. I had to set the bass level on the volkswoofer to between 1/4-1/3 to get rid of the rattling. Any idea where this may be coming from? Is this a sign of a bad speaker? Please say "no"

My receiver (Sony HT-DDW685) only has one subwoofer output and I have this connected to the Volkswoofer Right channel. Excuse my ignorance, but how does this affect the functionality when I don't have anything connected to the Left channel on the Volkswoofer, without the LP-1S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

Goeff, when you run the Volkswoofer high level (speaker wire), you run left and right to the sub, and pass through full-range to the satellites.

It's very hard to find the LP-1S, specially with M&K closing up. I looked all over the net and here to no avail. I found the manual for the LP-1S from the M&K website and the illustration shows connection to the Pre-amp and Amp. Are they a requirement to use the LP-1S since my receiver doesn't have a pre-amp output? How do I set the receiver to 80Hz?

Quote:

M&K made an LP-1S that you may want to find to run the sats highpassed. A better bet is to use the sub out of an AV receiver, and set the highpass to the satellites in the receiver at 80 Hz.

Your statement below is very much encouraging. I really hope I can use these speakers to its full potentials. As I mentioned above I'm already experiencing a big difference from what I had before.

Quote:

These old components had a bit of "rough and boom" but they were a lot of fun, and they're definitely worth keeping and using. I still speak with some of my customers from the '80s who bought these with Audionics of Oregon electronics, and the systems are still working better than 90% of what you can buy today. Make sure your electronics are comfortable with a 4 ohm load.

Thanks

Quote:

Enjoy your classic gems.

post #291 of 3677 Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikka View Post

I was quite pleased, however when there are loud points on the movie, I can hear some rattlings on the volkswoofer speaker. I had to set the bass level on the volkswoofer to between 1/4-1/3 to get rid of the rattling. Any idea where this may be coming from? Is this a sign of a bad speaker? Please say "no"

Sit near the sub and see if you can isolate where the rattling is coming from. Is it coming from within the sub or is it coming from something nearby that's resonating with the sub's output? (for example, I had a double-hung window that needed to reputtied right next to the sub--it regularly rattled at 50-60 Hz).

If the rattling is coming from inside the speaker, I'd suggest you start by removing the grille and seeing if the surrounds on the driver have deteriorated. If that's not it, then I will defer to the advice of other people on the forum who have actually taken apart a sub.

post #292 of 3677 Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
You may have a blown driver, or at least a driver that's "circling the drain." You should be able to find an exact replacement. I wish I could remember who their supplier was then. Also check and make sure nothing is rubbing against the cone. This may require pulling the driver out and relocating wires.

There's a tiny plug in the back of this woofer (maybe it's just on the V2B), and that plug MUST be in place. Without it, you can blow a match out with the sub at about a foot away. I think the plug covers a screw adjustment, but I can't remember. If the plastic plug is gone, caulk that sucker up tight.

Get some good separates, or a serious receiver with a sub output.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #293 of 3677 Old 06-30-2007, 08:12 PM

Did what you said and I'm very relieved to say that it wasn't the speaker that was rattling. It was the cover for my fuse box above where the sub is located. I now have to open the fuse box cover a bit when watching movie to stop the rattling. I'll probably put some rubber lining around it at some point

Thanks for the suggestion. sitting by the sub really helped Because of its ummps and booms, it was hard to see where the rattling was coming from

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Sit near the sub and see if you can isolate where the rattling is coming from. Is it coming from within the sub or is it coming from something nearby that's resonating with the sub's output? (for example, I had a double-hung window that needed to reputtied right next to the sub--it regularly rattled at 50-60 Hz).

If the rattling is coming from inside the speaker, I'd suggest you start by removing the grille and seeing if the surrounds on the driver have deteriorated. If that's not it, then I will defer to the advice of other people on the forum who have actually taken apart a sub.

post #294 of 3677 Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM

I did see this plug. It does have a cover and per instruction it's an electronic filter circuit that rolls off the response of the Volkswoofer above 125 Hz at a rate of 24db per octave.

Quote:

There's a tiny plug in the back of this woofer (maybe it's just on the V2B), and that plug MUST be in place. Without it, you can blow a match out with the sub at about a foot away. I think the plug covers a screw adjustment, but I can't remember. If the plastic plug is gone, caulk that sucker up tight.

This is definitely next on my list. Thanks

Quote:

Get some good separates, or a serious receiver with a sub output.

post #295 of 3677 Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikka View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. sitting by the sub really helped Because of its ummps and booms, it was hard to see where the rattling was coming from

I'm glad that was the problem, since M&K isn't around anymore to fix your sub (or mine). I found my rattling window with a low frequency sweep on the Avia test DVD. In my previous dwelling, there were doors on a kitchen cabinet that rattled, and the sweep found them before any movie soundtracks did.

post #296 of 3677 Old 07-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Hi,
Does anyone know which M&K speakers use the following tweeters:
4 ohm Z10, Z11, and Z16
8ohm Z16
Transmission line tweeters
Thanks
N
post #297 of 3677 Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcho View Post

Hi,
Does anyone know which M&K speakers use the following tweeters:
4 ohm Z10, Z11, and Z16
8ohm Z16
Transmission line tweeters
Thanks
N

The combination of which drivers went into which models at which time(s) is not only proprietary, but impossible to determine without actually taking everything apart and looking. Wouldn't it be lovely if the S/N was actually a VIN, with REAL information encoded into it ! One could only dream. Sorry.

Let me rephrase an answer: do you need to know because of a certain model you have, or are attempting to buy?

Barry
post #298 of 3677 Old 07-03-2007, 12:30 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a delicat problem, and that is that I am soon building a new house and will of course build a home cinema (this is not a problem ).

But here it comes, when I now have the possibility to build a custom made cinema, the problem is what size(measures), and shape is optimal for my M&K setup?
I am very demanding with what I want, so if I am doing this I whant it to be as good as i can be.

I have the S-150PK THX ULTRA 180 Watt Self-Powered Speaker as frontsystem, SS-150 tripol Self-Powered Speaker as surround speakers and one MX-350 MK II THX ULTRA sub.
Pre Amp: Integra RDC 7.1
Projector: JVC HD1 ( in US: RS1)

And some thought about what I whant is a 2:35 constant height setup, about 3,50m wide screen, 7 seats( 3+4 ), and allso have the possibility to readjust the seats so we can use tha room for moore than just sitting and look at the screen (play poker, play games etc, be social !)

I know that we have some realy talented and experienced members here, so I would be moore than happy to get some help for planing and design this homecinema.

Best Regards Per
post #299 of 3677 Old 07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. Another S-150P owner. Where have you been?

Chet
post #300 of 3677 Old 07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 421
How is the integra research 7.1 for sound quality? My M&K's are neutral(7 S-5000thx's) and I am looking for a processor that can be upgradeable to hdmi 1.1-1.3. The meridian 861 is as well but have any of these companies released an hdmi 1.1-1.3 card yet? I am supplying 450 watts per channel with my amp which is also very neutral. From ADA.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page