Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 129 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes
post #3841 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hey Jacob, not a dealer just love MK but I do have access to all their products through the UK distributor as he is a good friend.

Marantz AV7702, Anthem Statement A5,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, MK Sound MPS 300 LCR,MK Sound S300T's, MK Sound V12 x 2,Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Hey Jacob, not a dealer just love MK but I do have access to all their products through the UK distributor as he is a good friend.
Yes I know - I was referring to YOUR dealer (Rob), as the one convincing me :-)
richmagnus likes this.
post #3843 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post
I am also in the planing process for Atmos. I have four SS150THX for side and rear surrounds and had been considering the iw-85 or 95 as well. Richmagnus' M&K dealer has convinced me to try my four ss150thx in the ceiling for Atmos and buy 4 new S150T fo the lower surrounds.
He also said the iw-150 has the best dispersion of all the in walls (but not near the tripoles) due to the arrangement of the three tweeters.
Very interesting! Since Atmos ceiling speakers are effect speakers, and not even discrete channels unless playing a film specifically encoded with Atmos, it seems like you would be moving your best speakers out of the channels you would want them in. I do understand that the S-150T gives great dispersion as tripoles.

PLEASE let me know how this turns out for you! I think your experience here will be most helpful for the rest of us.
jlcichocki likes this.
post #3844 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dotur View Post
Very interesting! Since Atmos ceiling speakers are effect speakers, and not even discrete channels unless playing a film specifically encoded with Atmos, it seems like you would be moving your best speakers out of the channels you would want them in. I do understand that the S-150T gives great dispersion as tripoles.

PLEASE let me know how this turns out for you! I think your experience here will be most helpful for the rest of us.
I think you misunderstood me.
The SS150THX is the older M&K tripole surround speaker, while the S150T is the new owner's - MK Sound (Now M&K Sound) - replacement tripole surround speaker.

So I will be moving My older model tripoles to the ceiling and placing the newest and better speakers low.
post #3845 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Huh... I didn't think the S-150T's were better than the SS-150, even though they are newer, but I certainly could be wrong. (I have the SS-150's myself for my surrounds) Please do let us know how it goes for you!
post #3846 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Huh... I didn't think the S-150T's were better than the SS-150, even though they are newer, but I certainly could be wrong. (I have the SS-150's myself for my surrounds) Please do let us know how it goes for you!
It is only what I have been told by users of both models, I haven't had a chance to test them against each other myself.
I read somewhere, I thing it was on avforums, that someone who had upgraded to Mk sound S150 mkii LCR felt they didn't blend as well with the SS150THX as with the S150T, so he upgraded the tripoles as well.

Last edited by Jacob B; 02-17-2015 at 10:39 AM.
post #3847 of 3865 Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 AM

Yes the S150T's have better drivers in them than the old plus a more inert cabinet. Don't get me wrong the SS150's are brilliant and would not need to be upgraded unless you went for the 300T's.

Marantz AV7702, Anthem Statement A5,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, MK Sound MPS 300 LCR,MK Sound S300T's, MK Sound V12 x 2,Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90,Qnap TS112 NAS,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #3848 of 3865 Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey I am looking at running Atmos setup with all M&k speakers. I bought 4 M&K 85 to you as the height speakers. I was wondering is you guys had any advice in terms of speaker mounts. They are about 9 pounds. You guys have any recommendations for mounts.

Thanks

Stephen
post #3849 of 3865 Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MK Speaker Testing

I have 3x S-150's for my front speakers and i was wondering if anyone has come up with a sort of electronic testing guide for them.

Basically i want to make sure all of the drivers and crossovers are functioning 100%. I do have audio frequency test files, but i would feel better pulling each driver and testing them individually with my multimeter to be sure.

Is there anyway to test the crossover to see if it is ok? What would indicate a failure, bulging capacitors etc…?

Thanks!
post #3850 of 3865 Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by logain2000 View Post
Hey I am looking at running Atmos setup with all M&k speakers. I bought 4 M&K 85 to you as the height speakers. I was wondering is you guys had any advice in terms of speaker mounts. They are about 9 pounds. You guys have any recommendations for mounts.

Thanks
I can't remember the model # offhand, but the same Omni-Mount brackets that fit NHT Absolute Zeros will work for the S85s.
post #3851 of 3865 Old 03-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
I agree its all about quality. That's why I want one.

I am going strictly off my what my AV installer is saying:

He contacted Mr Kreisel directly and can not get even a rough time estimate for production. I can afford these subs but am looking elsewhere.

Please excuse me for not posting for a long time, but I have been extremely busy the last many months working on new products (with top priority going to our new professional studio monitoring systems for mixing Dolby Atmos, with the new consumer products taking a back seat until the pro products are in production), so, I have not had time to follow all the Ken Kreisel related forum threads around the world, but I happened to stumble on your post while doing a Google search for something. Also, for those of you in the UK, last year the top management at the UK's AVForums severely limited what I am allowed to post because I am not a paying ASSURED ADVERTISER. Evidently competitors who are ASSURED ADVERTISERS complained about my posts. At AVForums I am not allowed to talk positively about my products nor post links to or make mention of my website or Facebook page or my direct email address.

I do try to stay on top of the dozens of emails I get each week with questions from audio enthusiasts around the world. I invite anyone with a question to email me directly by clicking the "Have a question for Ken Kreisel?" button on our KEN KREISEL website support page. If you would like me to post an answer to a question posted on a specific forum thread, please email me the link. I started KEN KREISEL as sort of a micro-niche boutique for the top studio guys as well as very serious audio enthusiasts because I wanted enough time to personally answer questions and give advice by email. I hope in the future to have more time to follow and post more on the various related forums.

I am not sure when your AV Installer emailed me, but it has not been a secret that the new KEN KREISEL DXD-12012's and DXD-808's and the new DXD-12012XL's and DXD-808XL's are planned to be released late this year after our new pro products for Dolby Atmos mixing are in production. All the new DXD's will have some new technology taken from these new pro products.

Again, I encourage anyone with a question to please email me directly.

In the meantime,

GOOD SOUND TO YOU...ALWAYS,

KEN
audiofan1 and MatthewTyson like this.
post #3852 of 3865 Old 03-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kreisel View Post
Please excuse me for not posting for a long time, but I have been extremely busy the last many months working on new products (with top priority going to our new professional studio monitoring systems for mixing Dolby Atmos, with the new consumer products taking a back seat until the pro products are in production), so, I have not had time to follow all the Ken Kreisel related forum threads around the world, but I happened to stumble on your post while doing a Google search for something. Also, for those of you in the UK, last year the top management at the UK's AVForums severely limited what I am allowed to post because I am not a paying ASSURED ADVERTISER. Evidently competitors who are ASSURED ADVERTISERS complained about my posts. At AVForums I am not allowed to talk positively about my products nor post links to or make mention of my website or Facebook page or my direct email address.

I do try to stay on top of the dozens of emails I get each week with questions from audio enthusiasts around the world. I invite anyone with a question to email me directly by clicking the "Have a question for Ken Kreisel?" button on our KEN KREISEL website support page. If you would like me to post an answer to a question posted on a specific forum thread, please email me the link. I started KEN KREISEL as sort of a micro-niche boutique for the top studio guys as well as very serious audio enthusiasts because I wanted enough time to personally answer questions and give advice by email. I hope in the future to have more time to follow and post more on the various related forums.

I am not sure when your AV Installer emailed me, but it has not been a secret that the new KEN KREISEL DXD-12012's and DXD-808's and the new DXD-12012XL's and DXD-808XL's are planned to be released late this year after our new pro products for Dolby Atmos mixing are in production. All the new DXD's will have some new technology taken from these new pro products.

Again, I encourage anyone with a question to please email me directly.

In the meantime,

GOOD SOUND TO YOU...ALWAYS,

KEN
Dear Mr Kreisel,

I am honored that you have taken time to address my concerns. I am beginning to plan a theater and have been lusting over your speakers for more than 20 years. I started loving your speakers before I had 2 nickels to rub together. Since I have waited so long many technologies have changed. It's an exciting time. The good news is, I now have 2 quarters to rub together. I'm excited to put together a better than average theater.

I have struggled to hear any of your old speakers, nor the new MK speakers. It have been quite frustrating. And I haven't felt comfortable purchasing anything based on a 20 year old memory.

I have done some preliminary work with a Chicago installer who handles MK. He assured me that the new line of speakers were outstanding. I questioned him in depth about the new x12 subs and he said the only thing better were your new dxd subs.

He tells me, that he contacted you and you could not give an estimated delivery date.

Since, I am just beginning my planning, I will sit tight and wait to see what is coming especially since you are working hard on Atmos. Atmos and others are a sound game changer IMHO. I had narrowed down my choices to MK and Triad.

Thanks
Jeff

PS. I was lucky enough to visit an AVS members theater this week and he has a M&K 5000 LCR with the M&K 150s surrounds plus Atmos capable. Sounded quite good. Not as good as the 20 year old image burned into my soul, but good.
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by jlcichocki; 03-12-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added thought
post #3853 of 3865 Old 03-12-2015, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Second to post after a Legend!

Ken, any chance you could point me in the direction of a method of testing my s150 LCR crossovers and drivers with my DMM? I want to make sure they are 100% ship shape.

I am an EE and capable of repairing / replacing individual components on the boards as needed.... I just need spec sheets or schematics to follow. I have blown and replaced tweeters more than once (when replacements were available and I want to do a full electrical once-over on them.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Adam

Last edited by oRIDDLERo; 03-12-2015 at 05:21 PM.
post #3854 of 3865 Old 03-12-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRIDDLERo View Post
Second to post after a Legend!

Ken, any chance you could point me in the direction of a method of testing my s150 LCR crossovers and drivers with my DMM? I want to make sure they are 100% ship shape.

I am an EE and capable of repairing / replacing individual components on the boards as needed.... I just need spec sheets or schematics to follow. I have blown and replaced tweeters more than once (when replacements were available and I want to do a full electrical once-over on them.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Adam

If your DMM has a dB scale you can easily plot out the crossover outputs in dB as a function of frequency while connected to the various drivers and email your curves to me at my direct email address. Be sure to use the input to the crossover as your 0dB reference point.

I would use a testing input voltage to the crossover of anywhere from 1 volt to 5 volts. Any higher input voltages and I would definitely recommend hearing protectors.

Looking forward to seeing your curves...KEN
post #3855 of 3865 Old 03-13-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Ken, for those of us who have 7.1 systems using the S-150, what speakers would you recommend using for ceiling speakers to make a 7.1.4 Atmos setup? IW-150 would be optimal, but are IW-85's suitable? IW-5 good enough in a pinch, or would the non-matching drivers not be right?
post #3856 of 3865 Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Ken, for those of us who have 7.1 systems using the S-150, what speakers would you recommend using for ceiling speakers to make a 7.1.4 Atmos setup? IW-150 would be optimal, but are IW-85's suitable? IW-5 good enough in a pinch, or would the non-matching drivers not be right?
My first recommendation is not to use in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos, it is a big compromise, in my opinion. I understand it is a hard sell to most decorators, but you asked my advice. I predict there are going to be a lot changes in how Dolby Atmos is mixed in the future for home theater compatibility. My new pro studio systems for mixing Dolby Atmos are going to help mixers make a much more compatible mix.

At this time I would recommend using the KEN KREISEL Q125QFH's which I designed specifically for Dolby Atmos ceiling use. You can mount them as high on a wall as possible if you cannot hang them from the ceiling. They will timbre match to your S-150's beautifully.

If you must use an in-ceiling speaker, I would recommend the IW-150's (carefully placed) if you have only one listening position you want to cover, and I would recommend the IW-85's if you have more than one seat to cover. The IW-5's would be a big compromise, again in my opinion.

If you want to email me directly with drawings of your room layout I would be happy to take a look...KEN
post #3857 of 3865 Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kreisel View Post
My first recommendation is not to use in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos, it is a big compromise, in my opinion. I understand it is a hard sell to most decorators, but you asked my advice. I predict there are going to be a lot changes in how Dolby Atmos is mixed in the future for home theater compatibility. My new pro studio systems for mixing Dolby Atmos are going to help mixers make a much more compatible mix.

At this time I would recommend using the KEN KREISEL Q125QFH's which I designed specifically for Dolby Atmos ceiling use. You can mount them as high on a wall as possible if you cannot hang them from the ceiling. They will timbre match to your S-150's beautifully.

If you must use an in-ceiling speaker, I would recommend the IW-150's (carefully placed) if you have only one listening position you want to cover, and I would recommend the IW-85's if you have more than one seat to cover. The IW-5's would be a big compromise, again in my opinion.

If you want to email me directly with drawings of your room layout I would be happy to take a look...KEN
Ken, thanks for a FANTASTIC post there. Do you have a product page for the KreiselSound speakers? (and then I'd be looking at info and sources of potential purchases) On the KreiselSound site, I found gallery pictures for the QFH and TFX at least.

Like many, my private theater room has 8' ceilings, and I'm hesitant to mount ceiling speakers that would bring the drivers that much further down and closer to the viewers' heads. The functional part of that is more a concern to me than in-ceilings being visually flush, but I'm highly interested in your opinions.

Please forgive me, but I'm not 100% in-the-know on your current involvement with M&K Sound since the company changes of recent years. I've been in talks with the US rep on becoming a dealer, but have been holding off as I do more research.

When I'm able to put together diagrams and info on my personal theater, I'll certainly E-mail you privately about my own situation. But there's several of us here with full 7.1 setups of the S-150 platform, and a couple with others like the 300, and are very interested in options for going to Atmos setups, which is why I ask questions here in the thread for the benefit of all as well.

... and then of course we don't even know what DTS:X is going to require/recommend for setups yet, although I wouldn't imagine them to be drastically different Atmos. I think Auro 3D may be the odd player here. But I'd love to hear your thoughts on that as well.
jlcichocki likes this.
post #3858 of 3865 Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 AM

20150315_105052.jpg

Attached is one of my M&K speakers. I bought them about 35 years ago and they are still going strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315_105052.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	605329  
post #3859 of 3865 Old 03-16-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhuh View Post
20150315_105052.jpg

Attached is one of my M&K speakers. I bought them about 35 years ago and they are still going strong.
That is because quality stands the age of time, and the QC that Ken implemented still applies today to all his products

KEN KREISEL Q125 Speakers LCR & CS29 Surrounds - KEN KREISEL DXD808 DUO Subs - Denon AVR4520 & Audyssey PRO Calibrated - 55" Samsung HU8500 UHD - Oppo BDP93 - Himedia Q10 4K3D
post #3860 of 3865 Old Today, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an M&K S-125 center speaker with a blown tweeter. The tweeter part # is Z10MKTV 4 ohm. I'm looking for a replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
post #3861 of 3865 Old Today, 07:44 AM

I took apart my blown M&K tweeter Z10MKTV 4 ohm. I determined that one of the hair wires coming from the terminal broke which is likely the cause of the tweeter not working. The break in the wire was just before it started wrapping around the inner voice coil (the part that is underneath the dome and goes into the magnet area). My question is if I unwind the wire one revolution so I'll have enough wire to reach the terminal, will that dramatically affect the tweeter? Will it even work?

Last edited by chebowitz; Today at 07:56 AM.
post #3862 of 3865 Old Today, 08:00 AM

It's certainly worth a try there's no reason why it wouldn't work. I very much doubt you'd hear any difference by losing one turn.
post #3863 of 3865 Unread Today, 04:28 PM

Liked: 14
I've heard some opinions about the sound quality differences between the 150s and 300S but it seems there are very few reviews on the topic. I recently picked up the M&K line as a dealer and did a theater with 150s finding them very impressive. I have also done some testing of a customer pair at my place but I have yet to hear the 300s. I'm thinking of picking up a pair as my mains and my primary concern is improvement for 2 channel listening. I will be running these for both theater and music. I will be using a Parasound JC-2B preamp with bypass for direct music full range to the fronts including a sub and using my Marantz 8801 processor crossed over for the theater, both will be shared on a Parasound A51.

Any critical feedback on the speaker differences? The size of the 300s are a premium and the trade off for improvements would need to be significant.
post #3864 of 3865 Unread Today, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfav View Post
I've heard some opinions about the sound quality differences between the 150s and 300S but it seems there are very few reviews on the topic. I recently picked up the M&K line as a dealer and did a theater with 150s finding them very impressive. I have also done some testing of a customer pair at my place but I have yet to hear the 300s. I'm thinking of picking up a pair as my mains and my primary concern is improvement for 2 channel listening. I will be running these for both theater and music. I will be using a Parasound JC-2B preamp with bypass for direct music full range to the fronts including a sub and using my Marantz 8801 processor crossed over for the theater, both will be shared on a Parasound A51.

Any critical feedback on the speaker differences? The size of the 300s are a premium and the trade off for improvements would need to be significant.
I have been asking the same question for many months. It seems like there are plenty of 150 users (as well as other models), but the 300 series is almost nonexistent. Maybe it's too new, maybe too expensive. The AVforums.com group in Europe have many discussions and many more users (look for richmagnus, he's active on both forum sites and has lots to say). Other than price, I have yet to read a single negative. If you have experience with the 150, the 300 is suppose to blow them away. You'll also want to read Dave Vaughn's great "sound and vision" article. He a very active member here and speaks quite highly of the 300's.

Please buy these speakers and post your experiences. You will be very popular on this site. If you are anywhere near Chicago, I'd donate a kidney to hear them

Jeff
richmagnus likes this.
post #3865 of 3865 Unread Today, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfav View Post

The 150's are excellent the 300's re exceptional.

The 300's are more open, detailed,smoother with a bigger soundstage and play to insane levels in any size room.

I also use the MPS 300's for critical music listening in 2.2 channel,powered by a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 with a pair of MK V12 subs. In a word, stunning.

This is part of my MK300 AV sytem in a 5.2.2 setup with a just added pair of MP150MK2'S as FH speakers.

If you like what the 150's do then you need to listen to the 300's. They take performance to another level and are used by THX as their new reference system. The 300's excell with music.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page