Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes
post #3991 of 3998 Old 08-14-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Rippy...you linked the same review twice.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 3998 Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
linked the same review twice.
Fixed.

Rip
post #3993 of 3998 Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
(edit: fixed links)

Got it. That's a tough question - so many good options out there.

Google (or Bing) is your friend. One review here and another. (I find HTR.com reviews of dubious value.) This is a high-end system dollar-wise. Here's an older review of their 150 series speakers.

Pretty sure M&K went out of business a few years ago. The brand got bought but I don't know if it's the same company.

It was bought lock stock and barrel by a Danish company that have gone on to improve the products significantly and release some seriously good new ranges.

The MK S300 sytem for example,is now used by THX as their reference system.

Denon 7200,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, MK MP300 LCR,MK S300T's, MK S150mk2 FH,MK V12 x 2,Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90,PanasonicTXP50GT60.
post #3994 of 3998 Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
The 300s are significantly bigger than the 150s. Given your space constraints, I think the 150s are the only way to go.
You were right, for my space in front of the window. This is the S300s on top of the 150 boxes, if I do a center they are too large to block the view even though it is not much bigger than the 150.so I may go back to the ceiling.

Looks like I will be selling the pair of S300s if anyone is interested. They are new and I have the factory boxes, packing, and full warranty. I can do a great deal on the pair.

Posted an add to classifieds if anyone is interested. $3300 for the pair plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7080004.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	907450  
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Last edited by sfav; 09-03-2015 at 02:24 PM.
post #3995 of 3998 Old 08-29-2015, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of MX350's stacked, one of which needs a new driver (old black dome style). I was looking into places to repair the driver but reading through this thread, it looks like the tinsel lead breaks near the voice coil making repair impossible. I did find reference to the drivers being Eminence LAB12 but looking at pictures of those drivers, they don't match either the black domed drivers in the bad sub or the white label drivers in the other sub (2005 replacement from M&K).

Has anyone actually replaced their drivers with Eminence LAB12? Any issues with fitment other than the terminals or sound quality and did you replace both drivers?

LAB12

MX-350

post #3996 of 3998 Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still looking for a good replacement so I started digging a bit deeper.
The Eminence LAB12 is listed as 22lbs.
My old black cap MX350 is 9lbs. Those are MX350-4TV-2 17022 drivers.
I didn't weigh the white cap drivers but I still have the original box M&K shipped them to me in which says 20LBS so the individual weight should be vary close if not exactly the same. Those are MK Z-120TV4 17025 drivers.

Another option I came across is a Marvin EM-TL3006Y-4. I am a bit skeptical on this one. I found them listed as a replacement for the 17025 and they are cheap at $65ea which has me tempted to try a pair. They do look a lot more like the original drivers than the LAB12.

post #3997 of 3998 Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've brought this topic up previously as have others, but I want to re-visit it. Most of the original M&K speakers used foam pads placed on the baffles and in some cases within the grill/ grill frames to contour high frequencies.

does anyone have any details on the dimensions used on the various speakers. The other common item that folks seem to look for are the ST Leg covers . The pipe is just standard plumbing pipe, threaded on both ends , that's easy enough to source. and you you can improvise covers by using pipe insulator foam , or pool noodles, but Id like to know more about the factory Leg covers. Anyone know what they are or who made them? It's been noted that the ST cast bases were made from by a barbell company, perhaps York or some other company.

so recap..

Foams appliques - anyone with the dimensions used for the various speakers baffles and grills? I'd like to put together a master database so that folks can reference it if they need this data.

ST Leg covers - Who made them and is it an existing product that can still be sourced?
post #3998 of 3998 Unread Today, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostown View Post
I've brought this topic up previously as have others, but I want to re-visit it. Most of the original M&K speakers used foam pads placed on the baffles and in some cases within the grill/ grill frames to contour high frequencies.

does anyone have any details on the dimensions used on the various speakers. The other common item that folks seem to look for are the ST Leg covers . The pipe is just standard plumbing pipe, threaded on both ends , that's easy enough to source. and you you can improvise covers by using pipe insulator foam , or pool noodles, but Id like to know more about the factory Leg covers. Anyone know what they are or who made them? It's been noted that the ST cast bases were made from by a barbell company, perhaps York or some other company.

so recap..

Foams appliques - anyone with the dimensions used for the various speakers baffles and grills? I'd like to put together a master database so that folks can reference it if they need this data.

ST Leg covers - Who made them and is it an existing product that can still be sourced?
First, everyone is always welcome to directly email me any questions through our SUPPORT page at http://www.kreiselsound.com/support.php , just click "Have a question for Ken Kreisel?" and your email program should open a blank email addressed to me, if a blank email does not open, you can cut and paste my email address into a blank email. Unfortunately I normally do not have enough time to regularly monitor all the various Ken Kreisel related threads around the world so I may not see questions posted on this thread.

I designed the foam pieces to perform different acoustic tasks depending on the speaker model. I actually have a big laugh each time I see the front foam used on the MK Sound Chinese knockoffs as they are using the wrong foam and obviously they have no idea why I used the foam.

The ST leg covers were a custom extrusion designed by me. The leg covers were designed to be easily cut to custom lengths (they were extruded in 8' lengths for Dolby's first AC-3/Dolby Digital demos to the film industry with the M&K SS150 tripole surround speakers 8' in the air on ST-1 bases), to snap onto standard USA 3/4" water pipe, painted a lightly textured black to be somewhat decorative and easily re-paintable any color, and to internally hold heavy gauge speaker wire or a power cord and low level signal cable fed through a channel opening molded into the ST bases.

The ST bases were in fact originally cast by a barbell company and then moved to another company. You might be able to find some counterfeit ST bases in China.

Hope this is of some help...KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page