Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 144 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 180Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4291 of 4306 Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
erhurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buckeye, Arizona (Phoenix); USA; Planet Earth
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil View Post
How do you want to use it/them? Common sub signal or channel-segregated bass? I wouldn't recommend the latter anyway and in the case of the former I don't think a B with three originals would be an issue at all. You'll be level matching them by hand anyway and any slight difference in response would be less than that created by the minimum 12" difference in room location which each occupies (ie, even two stacked units, measured with 1/12 octave precision, would be ever so slightly different but not enough to matter).
I am planning to use them as a 7.4 configuration sharing a common signal in my surround sound system anchored by my Marantz SR7005 AVR. I am currently using the three subs in three different areas in the room; I have room for the fourth MX-70(B).
erhurd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4292 of 4306 Old 07-19-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Other dangers of having the center speaker too close to the floor: pets like the foam
javanpohl is offline  
post #4293 of 4306 Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Other dangers of having the center speaker too close to the floor: pets like the foam
Would that be ex-pet?



Andy
And007 is offline  
post #4294 of 4306 Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vintage M&K Catalogs?

Does anyone know where I could get some 'vintage' (2007 and prior) catalogs from M&K? I am interested in finding out when speakers were on the market and what other M&K speakers and subs were contemporary with them.
Ckafoweeth is offline  
post #4295 of 4306 Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckafoweeth View Post
Does anyone know where I could get some 'vintage' (2007 and prior) catalogs from M&K? I am interested in finding out when speakers were on the market and what other M&K speakers and subs were contemporary with them.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/Mksound.com
thxman is offline  
post #4296 of 4306 Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
https://web.archive.org/web/*/Mksound.com
Thanks, that is perfect! I would not have thought of that!
Ckafoweeth is offline  
post #4297 of 4306 Old 08-04-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckafoweeth View Post
Thanks, that is perfect! I would not have thought of that!
You are welcome. If you need, I have one of thier catalogs from 1996, I can scan for you.
thxman is offline  
post #4298 of 4306 Old 08-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
erhurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buckeye, Arizona (Phoenix); USA; Planet Earth
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
You are welcome. If you need, I have one of thier catalogs from 1996, I can scan for you.
Would you please be kind enough to check your catalog and see if the MX-70B is included in the subwoofer lineup? I am interested in finding out what years the MX-70B was in production.

I own three of the older MX-70 subs and am considering purchasing a newer 70B on my local Craigslist. Attempting to determine how much newer the 70Bs are than my subs.
erhurd is online now  
post #4299 of 4306 Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 1,905
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 403
It has the MX-70B listed, not the MX-70.
thxman is offline  
post #4300 of 4306 Old 08-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
erhurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buckeye, Arizona (Phoenix); USA; Planet Earth
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
It has the MX-70B listed, not the MX-70.
Thanks for your time and effort!

I purchased my initial MX-70 pair in 1993 and obtained a catalog that was current at that time.

So now I know that the MX-70B may be at least three years newer than the MX-70s I already own.

Last edited by erhurd; 08-05-2016 at 07:59 AM.
erhurd is online now  
post #4301 of 4306 Old 08-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac32 View Post
Well we went ahead and built the baffle wall for our MK Sound front L/C/R speakers, recessed TV, Middle Atlantic Rack (on the right side able turntable shelf), turntable (on the right below rack shelf) and a three shelf shelf (on the left side). We built vinyl shelves on the near right wall below the arch and eventually will have a elite screen projector wall mounted above the recessed tv with acoustical material. the access area behind the Tv will have separate ventilation and house all the amps, ps audio gear, ethernet router and switches etc. The picture is below. We will be wiring the conduit in another weekend. Will post again. The second picture is the three arch entrance into the multipurpose room.
Cheers
Just an update, been a while.
Almost done with the roxul in the baffle wall., In fact we did all the walls in the house with R23 roxul. Even with no drywall once you are around a corner or in a different room you can barely hear the person and it sounds like they are muted and underwater. Really good stuff. WE are additionally putting 1/4 inch mass loaded vinyl on walls shared with the home theater room. that is next. The drywalling has begun in other parts of the house. Anyway, here you can see on the left a MK Sound X12 floor space with 3 shelves prebuilt above. Then moving to the right the left S300 channel space then the 2nd X12 sub space, then the s300 center, next X12 and then the right S300 space and lastly all the way to the right the 4th and final X12 with a turn table slot above and the equipment rack above that with only equipment that we want to see and have access in the room like dvd player etc. The Music speakers with be large in room Von Schweikert VR7's that have been refurbished and repainted. Cant wait to see them. All the amps and power conditioning will be in the access room behind the baffle wall.
When playing music the X12's will be silent and all the music will pump thru the VR7's. So the turntable will never hear the subs etc. And when playing movies etc the turntable will be off. Best of both worlds. The arch and shelves to the right lead to an attached media room and the shelves were designed to house vinyl and are cut just to those dimensions. The arches are wired for Hue LED lights as are all the sconces in the room not visible in this picture. Anyway, we have blackout hunter douglass remote shades on order for the windows so we can operate as a dual day music/night movie second living room. Cant wait till we can hear them.
Cheers,

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAfflewallinsulated.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	777.0 KB
ID:	1585777  
richmagnus likes this.
kac32 is offline  
post #4302 of 4306 Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac32 View Post
Just an update, been a while.
Almost done with the roxul in the baffle wall., In fact we did all the walls in the house with R23 roxul. Even with no drywall once you are around a corner or in a different room you can barely hear the person and it sounds like they are muted and underwater. Really good stuff. WE are additionally putting 1/4 inch mass loaded vinyl on walls shared with the home theater room. that is next. The drywalling has begun in other parts of the house. Anyway, here you can see on the left a MK Sound X12 floor space with 3 shelves prebuilt above. Then moving to the right the left S300 channel space then the 2nd X12 sub space, then the s300 center, next X12 and then the right S300 space and lastly all the way to the right the 4th and final X12 with a turn table slot above and the equipment rack above that with only equipment that we want to see and have access in the room like dvd player etc. The Music speakers with be large in room Von Schweikert VR7's that have been refurbished and repainted. Cant wait to see them. All the amps and power conditioning will be in the access room behind the baffle wall.
When playing music the X12's will be silent and all the music will pump thru the VR7's. So the turntable will never hear the subs etc. And when playing movies etc the turntable will be off. Best of both worlds. The arch and shelves to the right lead to an attached media room and the shelves were designed to house vinyl and are cut just to those dimensions. The arches are wired for Hue LED lights as are all the sconces in the room not visible in this picture. Anyway, we have blackout hunter douglass remote shades on order for the windows so we can operate as a dual day music/night movie second living room. Cant wait till we can hear them.
Cheers,

Keith
Here we are dry-walled now. Still need to tape and sand though. We decided to place the subs on aurelex subdude HT's so we made the 4 sub spaces 1.75 inches taller to accommodate. Anyone using aurelex subdudes??

The second pic is the access room behind the TV wall. This room has 1/4 MLV in all walls similar to the home theater room. All the power outlets are 20A home runs and the cutout is for all the Ethernet in the house and POE security cameras and of course all the speaker wire. One outlet just runs from here to the projector outlet out in the ceiling of the TV room so we can output PS audio p10 electricity directly to the projector. All the amps and switches modems etc will be back here in racks or mounted to the wall above the cutout. I couldn't get the image to rotate and be up loaded rotated sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Optimized-IMG_2371.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	1614577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375a.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	1618017  

Last edited by kac32; 08-23-2016 at 03:09 AM.
kac32 is offline  
post #4303 of 4306 Old 08-20-2016, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
richmagnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: St Albans , England
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac32 View Post
Here we are dry-walled now. Still need to tape and sand though. We decided to place the subs on aurelex subdude HT's so we made the 4 sub spaces 1.75 inches taller to accommodate. Anyone using aurelex subdudes??


Going to sound great.
Haven't heard the subdudes.


www.seriouslycinema.co.uk

Denon 7200,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 400's, MK MP300 LCR,MK S300T's, MK S150mk2 FH,S150T TM,Dual MK X10, Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90, Sony 65XD9305
richmagnus is offline  
post #4304 of 4306 Old 08-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Sunsanvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac32 View Post
Anyone using aurelex subdudes??
I've had my MX on one of the original GRAMMAs for the past 12 years. I actually don't like the new version 2 as much (identical to the SubDude) because its slimmer and part of the improvement any platform like these imparts is getting the sub those few inches off the floor. Either way its no miracle product or anything but for the $50 or whatever they are charging these days I do recommend.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 08-22-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Sunsanvil is offline  
post #4305 of 4306 Old 08-23-2016, 03:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsanvil View Post
I've had my MX on one of the original GRAMMAs for the past 12 years. I actually don't like the new version 2 as much (identical to the SubDude) because its slimmer and part of the improvement any platform like these imparts is getting the sub those few inches off the floor. Either way its no miracle product or anything but for the $50 or whatever they are charging these days I do recommend.
good to know, we are going to try them. My cabinet maker is going to trim them down to 17.3 inches wide to exactly fit under our subs and we are going to lay a better rubber grip material on them so the speaker truly does not dance on them.
Otherwise we will use spikes and rubber mats to get them 1.75 inches up off the floor which our cutout heights call for.
kac32 is offline  
post #4306 of 4306 Old Today, 12:13 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I just downsized from our custom home where I had a dedicated home theater/listening room. Now our great room has to serve triple duty as the home theater and living/family room. I owned M&K speakers long ago but graduated on to bigger and better speakers which the wife now says absolutely not to in the great room. So I am looking at a custom cabinet to house three S150 Mk II's and two X10 subwoofers. All speakers will be hidden behind perforated metal screens or speaker cloth. Here is my question: I am limited in width and the height of the custom cabinet. I have 35" of interior height to work with. Can I put the S150's on top of the X10's or will this totally screw the sound? If every one thinks the subwoofer will blur the sound of the S150's if direct coupled, do you think a 3/4" piece of plywood separating them (sub bottom, plywood, S150 top) would be enough to isolate them from the sub's? What about some type of thin, damping material or blu tack?
Biff66 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off