Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 193Likes

post #4321 of 4350 Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac32 View Post
Well I can't speak for everyone but Marantz has a 11 channel atmos reciever called the avr 8802a that I am going to use in my setup and I have only read solid reviews about it. so that is one option. Good luck
Just to be clear, the 8802a is a preamp not a receiver. Receivers have built in amplification, preamps don't.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4350 Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well I can't speak for everyone but Marantz has a 11 channel atmos reciever called the avr 8802a that I am going to use in my setup and I have only read solid reviews about it. so that is one option. Good luck
Dear kac32,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Have you heard these speaker so far. Do they still hold good for today's standard???. Is the price reasonable ???
Regards,
John
post #4323 of 4350 Old 10-30-2016, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Just to be clear, the 8802a is a preamp not a receiver. Receivers have built in amplification, preamps don't.
Dear Showmanick,
Thanks for the clarification. Do these speakers still hold good for today's standard???. Is the price reasonable ???
Regards,
John

post #4324 of 4350 Old 10-30-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Dear Showmanick,
Thanks for the clarification. Do these speakers still hold good for today's standard???. Is the price reasonable ???
Regards,
John
It's been a long time since I've heard the 5000THX's. While I think they are good speakers and the price seems reasonable I don't feel comfortable giving a recommendation regarding these questions.

I just wanted to be sure people weren't buying a preamp without realizing they would need separate amplification.
post #4325 of 4350 Old 11-03-2016, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Dear kac32,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Have you heard these speaker so far. Do they still hold good for today's standard???. Is the price reasonable ???
Regards,
John
Hi again,

Showmanic is correct the 8802a is a preamp and does not have built in amplification. There are options out there today that offer 11 chanel receivers Yamaha is one that comes to mind.

No I have not heard them yet. The room is still being constructed. I made the purchase based off reviews both here and elsewhere and in trade journals. I can say I have handled all of them and they are substantial speakers, immaculately crafted and heavy. They are gorgeous to behold and really will work well in a baffle wall which the wife factor insisted on (no wires in sight or on the floor). Rich Magnus really helped alot from these forums in our choice of these speakers and the baffle wall but it was mainly the sheer number of wow factor reviews from people using these speakers for home theater. I became convinced that most mk sound fans will never use anything else. I am also a Von Schweikert speaker fan I will never use anything else either so I can relate to that feeling. As far as the price? Well, they are expensive as any top of the line item will/should be. But I just know they are worth it but I cant attest to that till January or February when we move in. But for me, I have no doubt the sound will be exceptional.
post #4326 of 4350 Old 11-05-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'm thinking of getting the LCR-950. Does it throw a huge soundstage? I'll be placing the center below my projection screen. Will it sound as if dialogue far detached from the screen?
post #4327 of 4350 Old 11-09-2016, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I'm thinking of getting the LCR-950. Does it throw a huge soundstage? I'll be placing the center below my projection screen. Will it sound as if dialogue far detached from the screen?

The LCR 950 is an excellent speaker. As long as you don't have too large of a room.

We have used the 950's in many installs.

This is an MK IW950/X10 Atmos 5.2.4 install we have just about finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Denon 7200,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 400's, MK MP300 LCR,MK S300T's, MK S150mk2 FH,S150T TM,Dual MK X10, Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90, Sony 65XD9305
post #4328 of 4350 Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, it's nice to see so many MK listeners are still out there. I purchased my first MK V200B Sub around 1988. I paired it with a pair of Polk 5 speakers then I bought a pair of Mordaunt Short bookshelf speakers I used as fronts for quite a few years. I ran Boston Accoustics HD5s in the rear and still do to this day. I always Coveted the MK S1c speakers then in about 1994 I finally got a pair. I then picked up a MX 125 sub. I still run the S1c's to this day. I have never found anything I like as well. It doesn't matter the Amp/preamp or AV receiver the S1c loud speaker is still my favorite. About a week and a half ago I went on ebay and bid on and won 2 MK MX 125 subwoofers and a pair of S100B's for $460.00 that is for all 4 speakers!! when they were new that would have been $5090.00 at Magnolia HiFi. I am ecstatic, I am going to play with them in the front and the rear. I might use my S1C's in a dedicated music system. However this works out I am thrilled to play with the new speakers and thrilled to find a long running thread on these great speakers. right now my system is a Denon S700W, Pansonic DMP BD60, Samsung 65inch 4K/ultra MK MX125, MK S1C's front, Center Klipsch KV2, Rear Boston HD5. I have been a music listener player my whole life. Guitars, violin, trumpet and all brass, I am a fanatic about hearing protection at work and play so I can enjoy my system till I drop. I look forward to being a member of this forum so hello to all

WeldZilla

I am the foreman of a weld shop and have been welding since I was 10. We farmed and my dad hated welding so He had me do it. I loved it!!
post #4329 of 4350 Old 01-01-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 138
After a year my M&K system is still in a temporary setup. My desire is to have a center channel stand that has both adjustable height and tilt so that I can get the speaker as high as possible below the screen and align its horizontal axis to the optimum listening position. The tilt needs to be adjustable over a range of 7.5-30 degrees upward. The bottom of the speaker needs to be adjustable from about 4.5 to 13 inches from the floor. I've got a solution mostly designed, but i thought I'd try one last time to see if anyone has found a reasonable center speaker stand for placing the S150 below and in front of a TV. I guess I'm going to have to try to find someone who can actually build what I have envisioned.

The same goes for the S150T surround speakers. I want a stand that I can mount them to using the existing mounting hole on each speaker, placing the acoustic center of the speaker at a height of 76.8 inches above the floor (2 1/2 feet above listening height). I'd very much prefer that they have the ability to tilt the speakers from horizontal to 13 degrees downward. These present the additional complications of the need to resist tipping, and the fabrication of sheet metal brackets which will serve as the speaker mount and provide the tilting capability. I've found no stands that provide adequate height for these speakers. I have considered using a custom length pipe with original ST1 stands, but the ST1 design does not appear to allow for any significant down-tilt on the surround speakers. The cost of shipping the bases is also a consideration. I am using a pair of ST1 stands for my left and right main speakers. The lack of adequate stands for the surrounds is keeping me in a 5.1 channel arrangement instead of a 7.1 arrangement. My listening room design only provides adequate wall or ceiling mounting options for one of the four surround speakers.

I've been very pleased with the system in its temporary setup, but I very much want to optimize it to what I had envisioned when I bought the speakers.
post #4330 of 4350 Old 01-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
wow! good to see this thread. I've had front LCR 150THX since 2001.

where can I find a set of rears? could've sworn M&K went out of business.

thanks for the help
post #4331 of 4350 Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMINTR View Post
wow! good to see this thread. I've had front LCR 150THX since 2001.

where can I find a set of rears? could've sworn M&K went out of business.

thanks for the help
M&K Sound did go out of business in February 2007. Its assets were purchased by interests in Denmark that did have some association with the original company. They have revived the brand.

mksoundus.com is the US website, and mksound.com is the international website. Dealers and installers are listed in the US website, and you can give the US distributor a call at 855-MKUSA11.

The US website for some reason has been incomplete since it was updated several months ago and doesn't show any of the surround speakers. The S150T is the currently available tripole surround speaker of the S150 system being manufactured. It is the second generation of the speaker as built by the new MKSound, and is THX Ultra2 certified. It is configured only for tripole operation, and does not offer the options of changing to monopole or dipole operation that the original M&K SS-150 THX did. Used SS-150 THX speakers seem to come up for sale fairly often as well. I think my dealer had some when I bought my S150 system.
post #4332 of 4350 Old 01-03-2017, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone interested in a M&K MX-5000THX fully working in good shape? Too large for my needs and would prefer a local pickup or I would drive a few hours from Pittsburgh PA to meet someone

Thank You
Jeff
post #4333 of 4350 Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
^ how much?

send me an email raysmd@ gmail.com

also, what are the best stands for the s150 fronts?

Thanks
post #4334 of 4350 Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMINTR View Post
also, what are the best stands for the s150 fronts?
The M&K ST-1 is probably the best, but it hasn't been manufactured since May 15, 2006. They can be expensive to ship if you find them used as the bases are about 50-55 lbs each. The currently built S150IIs have mounting holes usable with the K&M (that's not a typo, stands for König & Meyer) 26785, which is designed for the Genelec 8000 monitor series, as well holes for use with the original M&K stands and brackets. I don't believe the original, US built, M&K S150s have the holes for mounting on the K&M stands though.
post #4335 of 4350 Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 AM

Liked: 13
MP150 mkii positioning?

Hi All,
I tried finding an answer on google but could not find one.
1) What is the ideal positioning of the MK Sound MP150 mkii given the angled baffles?
2) Are there any issues mounting it in room away from the wall?
3) What is it that I am hearing when I am standing up vs sitting down? I seem to like the sound I get standing up. Anyone share this experience?
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MP150.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1881697   Click image for larger version

Name:	home theater setup.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1881705  
KC-Technerd and erhurd like this.
post #4336 of 4350 Old 01-08-2017, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin_fan1 View Post
Hi All,
I tried finding an answer on google but could not find one.
1) What is the ideal positioning of the MK Sound MP150 mkii given the angled baffles?
2) Are there any issues mounting it in room away from the wall?
3) What is it that I am hearing when I am standing up vs sitting down? I seem to like the sound I get standing up. Anyone share this experience?
Thanks in advance
1. I can't find the exact baffle angle for the MP150s, but I suspect it is 7.5 degrees which is the angle used on the old S150AC. In that case your sitting position is ideal. In any case the theoretical best listening position is on a line perpendicular to the face of the speaker, extending from the acoustic center of the speaker (on axis with the center tweeter).

2. Possibly. I've found various and often conflicting information on mounting on, near, and away from walls. Considering that the MP150 is a fully enclosed sealed box, I don't think the issues would be significantly different than those of placing the S150 or any other sealed speaker. It looks like your left and right MP150s are sitting on top of other speakers. I have a little concern that at high volume levels that your MP150s might be causing the other speakers to passively radiate a bit, which might add a little coloration to the sound. I currently have my S150 center speaker sitting on top of some ported Sony speakers for lack of a better stand, and I think I'm getting a little coloration from that. Also I would move the MP150s all the way to the front edge so that there isn't a horizontal surface immediately in front of them that could reflect high frequency sound.

3. Most likely you are getting some high frequency lobing or roll-off as you're above the tweeter axis. You may also be getting a little reflection from the horizontal surface of the shelves that extend in front of your speakers (as mentioned in 2.). Home systems often sound a bit bright to me, so I often find a bit of high frequency roll-off pleasing. They often don't have the pleasing warmth of a good theatrical system. I think the brightness I perceive in home systems is because of room reflections.

I really like your ceiling mounts for the S150Ts. Those are very attractive. Where did you find those? Or did you make them yourself? I'd consider something like that for my room, but all four of them would have to be different lengths because my listening room has an offset vaulted ceiling.
kenshin_fan1 likes this.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-08-2017 at 01:09 AM.
post #4337 of 4350 Old 01-08-2017, 03:48 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
1. I can't find the exact baffle angle for the MP150s, but I suspect it is 7.5 degrees which is the angle used on the old S150AC. In that case your sitting position is ideal. In any case the theoretical best listening position is on a line perpendicular to the face of the speaker, extending from the acoustic center of the speaker (on axis with the center tweeter).

2. Possibly. I've found various and often conflicting information on mounting on, near, and away from walls. Considering that the MP150 is a fully enclosed sealed box, I don't think the issues would be significantly different than those of placing the S150 or any other sealed speaker. It looks like your left and right MP150s are sitting on top of other speakers. I have a little concern that at high volume levels that your MP150s might be causing the other speakers to passively radiate a bit, which might add a little coloration to the sound. I currently have my S150 center speaker sitting on top of some ported Sony speakers for lack of a better stand, and I think I'm getting a little coloration from that. Also I would move the MP150s all the way to the front edge so that there isn't a horizontal surface immediately in front of them that could reflect high frequency sound.

3. Most likely you are getting some high frequency lobing or roll-off as you're above the tweeter axis. You may also be getting a little reflection from the horizontal surface of the shelves that extend in front of your speakers (as mentioned in 2.). Home systems often sound a bit bright to me, so I often find a bit of high frequency roll-off pleasing. They often don't have the pleasing warmth of a good theatrical system. I think the brightness I perceive in home systems is because of room reflections.

I really like your ceiling mounts for the S150Ts. Those are very attractive. Where did you find those? Or did you make them yourself? I'd consider something like that for my room, but all four of them would have to be different lengths because my listening room has an offset vaulted ceiling.
hi kc technerd,
thanks for the response! i think you are right about the s150ac. interestingly some of ken kreisel speakers also have 7.5 degree angled baffles.

my mounts were inspired by omnimount 15c. but instead of spending aud50 each i managed to find tauris swb101 for aud40 a pair. i then modified it by unscrewing them apart then extended them using 3\8 rod and 3\8 hex couplings bolt nuts from the local hardware store.

i had to cut the rods to the sizes i needed using a hacksaw.

hope this helps.

cheers
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #4338 of 4350 Old 02-22-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Hi all. Just wanted to let you guys know that I have my M&K 750 system up for sale. The link is in my signature. Thanks.
post #4339 of 4350 Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello everyone
I recently bought two "Miller & Kreisel M&K MPS-150 THX Main Center/Right Channel Monitor Speakers"
I bought the third one but its all 2 woofers and 3 tweeters empty. It was good price, that s why I bought it.
Do you think it s possible to find theses pieces. or Do you think it will be cheaper to buy a new one.

And if you know the code number or special name for these tweeter and woofer, could you please tell me.
I will try to find on the internet. or website which sells the speare parts for MPS-150

Thank you very much in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2013433   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	2013441  

Last edited by remains81; 03-08-2017 at 03:06 AM.
post #4340 of 4350 Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
hey guys, i have MK s150 mkII for my LCR, GREAT SPEAKERS. i honestly couldnt be more happy with them, but i have an issue with them

on vocal tracks only, while watching movies. i sometimes hear a crackle in their voice when they get quite animated about something. it happens on a few movies, not even when its loud. i noticed kevin harts voice does it a fair bit, coz hes always yelling!

i tried swapping speakers, and it still happened with the swapped speaker, any idea what it could be?

ive heard the mk speakers can actually bring out bad production in things, coz they are so accurate. could that be whats happening?
post #4341 of 4350 Old 03-10-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Maybe it's just Kevin Hart's voice that crackles when he gets animated?
post #4342 of 4350 Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 PM

I have 3 ST-1 Stands

After 20 years of an M&K love affair in my home theater. I am parting with my beloved S-150's (LCR) 2 MX-5000's A rare pair of SS-2250 surrounds and S-100 rears. We have downsized and leaving the home theater in old house. (New House will be a Golden Ears Triton One Reference theater)

But as we were moving. I found 3 original M&K ST-1 Stands in the attic. These are great stands. Very heavy and STURDY. I bought them and never used them (except for setting them up) did not use them as I mounted my S-150's on the wall. I have the pipe, bases, and brackets (I am not sure if I have the plastic pipe covers, still looking) {P

I would be glad to part with them. as they are very heavy and would cost a lot to ship I am located in the Dallas TX area and would prefer a local pickup. But could ship if needed. Please PM me if interested

Mark,
post #4343 of 4350 Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Have you heard this on any other movie??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denon 7200,Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, Lyngdorf SDA 400's, MK MP300 LCR,MK S300T's, MK S150mk2 FH,S150T TM,Dual MK X10, Oppo 103,Sonos ZP90, Sony 65XD9305
post #4344 of 4350 Old 03-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
^^
post #4345 of 4350 Old 03-16-2017, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remains81 View Post
Hello everyone
I recently bought two "Miller & Kreisel M&K MPS-150 THX Main Center/Right Channel Monitor Speakers"
I bought the third one but its all 2 woofers and 3 tweeters empty. It was good price, that s why I bought it.
Do you think it s possible to find theses pieces. or Do you think it will be cheaper to buy a new one.

And if you know the code number or special name for these tweeter and woofer, could you please tell me.
I will try to find on the internet. or website which sells the speare parts for MPS-150

Hello everyone

I find out the spare parts code for my MPS 150 speaker.

2 pieces Z11 MK TV 8 ohm tweeter
1 pieces Z16 MK TV 4 ohm tweeter
2 pieces Z50 MK TV 8 ohm woofer

It is not easy to find these parts. Especially woofer.

What I would like to ask you if you know equivalent parts for these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MKWooferZ50MK8Ohm-01.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2029545   Click image for larger version

Name:	MKTweeterZ16MKTV4Ohm.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2029553   Click image for larger version

Name:	MKTweeterZ11MKTV8Ohm.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	2029561   Click image for larger version

Name:	MKWooferZ50MK8Ohm-02.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2029569  
post #4346 of 4350 Old 03-16-2017, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by remains81 View Post
Hello everyone

I sent you a message. I have a complete driver set from one of my S-150 THX speakers. Check your inbox.
post #4347 of 4350 Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBearsfan View Post
I have 3 ST-1 Stands

After 20 years of an M&K love affair in my home theater. I am parting with my beloved S-150's (LCR) 2 MX-5000's A rare pair of SS-2250 surrounds and S-100 rears. We have downsized and leaving the home theater in old house. (New House will be a Golden Ears Triton One Reference theater)

But as we were moving. I found 3 original M&K ST-1 Stands in the attic. These are great stands. Very heavy and STURDY. I bought them and never used them (except for setting them up) did not use them as I mounted my S-150's on the wall. I have the pipe, bases, and brackets (I am not sure if I have the plastic pipe covers, still looking) {P

I would be glad to part with them. as they are very heavy and would cost a lot to ship I am located in the Dallas TX area and would prefer a local pickup. But could ship if needed. Please PM me if interested
sent you a PM
post #4348 of 4350 Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I am. We are installing 4 S300T's as our atmos largely on the recommendations from this website and from MK SOUND directly. In fact Rich Magnus had shared directly with me that it would work well and has in several of his installs. We haven't set the room up yet so I can't comment on the sound quite yet but I will in a few months. The one thing we were told was to set them on the ceiling so that they are in line with the front corresponding main, L or R, and in line with the corresponding rear surround and that they are aligned so that the inner speaker is firing perpendicular to the fronts and not angled in any way toward the listener. So that is what we will do. The outer speaker will fire directly at the side wall and the inner directly at the far side wall.

Here is our room now, we just pulled the wire through the walls yesterday. This is a duel purppose room, living room, music listening and HT. Wife factor forced me to use a baffle wall but I am in love with the concept now.

Last pc is the access room behind baffle wall
About a month away from moving in. Here is a pic of the movie room music room and living room tri-purpose room faux painted now. We are just awaiting carpets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3186.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	2036921  
post #4349 of 4350 Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
About a month away from moving in. Here is a pic of the movie room music room and living room tri-purpose room faux painted now. We are just awaiting carpets.
Nice...but I would have gone with black on the front wall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161210_163810.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	2037625  

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #4350 of 4350 Old Today, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Nice...but I would have gone with black on the front wall
Me too but wife factor wants to use the room as a living room music room lounge and all that. Hence windows, heavy texture and faux paint etc. It is still a beautiful room and it will rock, cant wait. I am having a pair of VR7's by Von Schweikert refinished with a chameleon auto paint that shifts from blue to green to purple. It should look wild in there. Ill send photos once we are all moved in.

hope you are all well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems