Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 218Likes

post #4381 of 4403 Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
A pair of X12's will sound immense in your room. Try them in both the L&R front corners.

The IW95's make for great surrounds and in ceilings. We install many of these in this role.

I personally run IW950's all round including as in ceiling heights. They can play louder and I prefer the sealed enclosure. The shape will not affect anything. They are a loser match to the 150's too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay great, thanks a lot for the information! Leaning toward IW150II LCR and IW950 for ceiling and surrounds.

Thinking about going 2 x SVS PB16-Ultra ($2300/each) though since I want big subwoofers and I can't afford 2 * X12 @ $3700/each.
richmagnus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4403 Old 06-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonin View Post
Okay great, thanks a lot for the information! Leaning toward IW150II LCR and IW950 for ceiling and surrounds.

Thinking about going 2 x SVS PB16-Ultra ($2300/each) though since I want big subwoofers and I can't afford 2 * X12 @ $3700/each.
+1 on the SVS subs!! Integrate well with M&Ks.
post #4383 of 4403 Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM

THX Home Theater Geek Podcast

Just watched this week's Scott Wilkinson's HTG episode featuring THX and their certified products. It was cool to see that THX's CTO uses MK Sound's S300 speakers in their reference room.
tanman likes this.

post #4384 of 4403 Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the process of building a dedicated theater room. Room will be approx. 22' x 18' x 12'.
I currently own the following:
L/C/R M&K S5000 MKII
4 - Side Surrounds - M&K SS-150 Tripole
2 - Rear Surrounds - M&K SS-150 Tripole
4 - Atmos - M&K SS-150 Tripole

Amps - 2 - Emotiva XPA5 Gen2

Not sure on subs yet. I own the 5000MKII sub, but was thinking of using it for nearfield on a riser and supplementing with a pair of PSA 3600s or JTR CAPTIVATOR S2s.
I was planning on driving the L/C/R, sides, and Rears with the Emotivas, and finding a good receiver with pre-outs to drive the atmos channels.
Any suggestions on the receiver? Was trying to save a little coin vs. a pre-amp and another amp for the atmos channels.
Thoughts?
post #4385 of 4403 Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hey guys, I hope this thread is still somewhat alive... I've been reading all the posts, and i'm only on page 52!!!

Lots of history with M&K unfortunately.

My dad is a big audiophile and I got a bunch of M&K speakers from him from his extra audio room he has. I've had them for about 5yrs now and I'm still blown away by the amazing sound quality.

I have 5x S-1b satellites and I had the M&K V-2B sub. I lost the sub due to a basement flood a month ago. I'm working with our insurance company now to get a replacement. Todays model would be the VX 12, and I'm awaiting to hear from our insurance company if they will pay the whole cost of replacement or a partial cost. They have been really good so far replacing full value of most items we lost like a Dyson vacuum, and surge protectors. But other things, they are giving us a bit of a rough time on. But that's another day's story.

My dad loves his M&K's and now he's actually using Acoustat 2+2 speakers. He loves them, but always makes comments about his M&K's

They sound so amazing. I've been to friends house's and listened to their systems and I find speakers aren't as rich sounding as the M&K's.

While my wife and I were going to be doing full house reno's this year, the flood caused a lot of damage in the basement and that is our/MY area. So I'm doing a full upgrade minus the speakers! New TV, new receiver, new HTPC and a new sub!

I hope if I have questions about my M&K's, that people are still here like Chris Hagen and others that would be able to help if the need arises.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra

Last edited by Quicksilv3r; 07-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #4386 of 4403 Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Do you guys have any experience with MK c 75 or c85 center speakers? How are they? I'm using MK S-1b's right now and my wife absolutely hates the S-1b on its side because it has the 2 tweeters in a secondary cabinet on top of the mids. I do see some 75 and 85's on ebay right now, and wondering if I should pull the trigger. I've only been able to read to page 100 in this thread so far, and not much mention of the center speakers yet that I can see.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #4387 of 4403 Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mps-4835

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought you might be interested in my self-built M&K sub

https://www.facebook.com/apjenks/med...00000280318478

It uses four 8" M&K (17040) drivers. (https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...oofer--299-246)
A 350W Apex Sr amp with modified boost and XLR input circuit added. (http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm)

Dimensions: 618mm (H) x 532mm (W) x 532mm (D) (24" x 21" x 21")
Weight: 50kg (110lbs)

I don't think that M&K ever built a 4 x 8" sub, but they should have!

My first M&K sub was a VX-7 and I was always amazed at how much tight bass that little sub could produce. I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade to an MPS-2810 (2 x 8") which is an excellent sub, but it was designed to fit into a 19" rack, so it has it's limitations, especially with the LFE in movies.

I figured that a 4 x 8" sub would have the speed of an 8" woofer with the effective cone area of a 16" woofer. I tried my best to make sure that it wouldn't look out of place next to any of my other M&K speakers and I am very happy with the result.

Last edited by Brit62; 08-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
post #4388 of 4403 Old 08-21-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Do you guys have any experience with MK c 75 or c85 center speakers? How are they? I'm using MK S-1b's right now and my wife absolutely hates the S-1b on its side because it has the 2 tweeters in a secondary cabinet on top of the mids. I do see some 75 and 85's on ebay right now, and wondering if I should pull the trigger. I've only been able to read to page 100 in this thread so far, and not much mention of the center speakers yet that I can see.
S-125's work well as center channel speakers
post #4389 of 4403 Old 08-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The S-85 is great if you are limited by space, but as another forum member noted, the S-125 is a solid option as well. The speaker(s) that everyone seems to overlook is the S-100b ( aka the ORIGINAL shallow s-150thx). It's arguably one of the best models from the early M&K speaker line that no one cares about. The Kardashian-esque hype around the S-150THX, over shadows it. I've owned both ( still do, along with MPS2510P and others) - the sonic differences are non existent to my ear . The S-90 is another sleeper model of the old M&K line. - I've mentioned that a few times here in the past. If you're using S-1b any of these speakers will suffice depending on your space/mounting options. and I wouldn't rule out an S-100 - no suffix ( the earlier NON "B" version, which uses the same tweeter as the S1b if I recall).

I'm going to continue downsizing my M&K speaker hoard , so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're in the market for a center. I have several that are for sale. I'm hanging on to the MPS-2510P at the moment but everything else I'm open to selling off. There's at least one set of ST-2 STands that I'm going to part with as well. ( absent of leg covers though but that's just cosmetic anyway).
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #4390 of 4403 Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostown View Post
The S-85 is great if you are limited by space, but as another forum member noted, the S-125 is a solid option as well. The speaker(s) that everyone seems to overlook is the S-100b ( aka the ORIGINAL shallow s-150thx). It's arguably one of the best models from the early M&K speaker line that no one cares about. The Kardashian-esque hype around the S-150THX, over shadows it. I've owned both ( still do, along with MPS2510P and others) - the sonic differences are non existent to my ear . The S-90 is another sleeper model of the old M&K line. - I've mentioned that a few times here in the past. If you're using S-1b any of these speakers will suffice depending on your space/mounting options. and I wouldn't rule out an S-100 - no suffix ( the earlier NON "B" version, which uses the same tweeter as the S1b if I recall).

I'm going to continue downsizing my M&K speaker hoard , so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're in the market for a center. I have several that are for sale. I'm hanging on to the MPS-2510P at the moment but everything else I'm open to selling off. There's at least one set of ST-2 STands that I'm going to part with as well. ( absent of leg covers though but that's just cosmetic anyway).
That's too bad that I didn't hear from you earlier haha. I just bought the s85. My wife wanted me to have an as small as possible center channel. Plus our TV is going to be wall mounted and there isn't much clearance between the TV stand and the TV.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

post #4391 of 4403 Old 08-21-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
That's too bad that I didn't hear from you earlier haha. I just bought the s85. My wife wanted me to have an as small as possible center channel. Plus our TV is going to be wall mounted and there isn't much clearance between the TV stand and the TV.

No worries.. you found a solution that worked well for your space and met spousal approval criteria. it's a win/win.
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #4392 of 4403 Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostown View Post
No worries.. you found a solution that worked well for your space and met spousal approval criteria. it's a win/win.
Happy wife, happy life

I just received my MKsound V12 today... UGH still 2 weeks away before I can try it out!!!

post #4393 of 4403 Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi!

Been thinking a long time about purchasing a pair of MP-950s for a simple and ample flatscreen setup. Will most likely use it with an MK V12 or Arendal Sound Sub1. I have previously heard the LCR-950, and was very impressed.

The flatscreen will be mounted with the center at eye height. With the MP-950s directly to the sides, the tweeters - because they are on the lower end of the cabinets - will be a little lower than I would like (and lower than the often recommended 5/8s of the screen height). Mounting them upside down would give a much better tweeter height the way I see it. I don't want to mount them high up on the wall aesthetically speaking. Would there be a difference in sound having it mounted with the tweeters on the bottom? Is it even possible to mount them upside down? The wall-mounts on the backside seems pretty identical to the ones on the MP-150s and the MP-300s, and I have seen them be mounted both ways. How is this achieved? I haven't seen any pictures of the wall mount itself.

Thanks for any input you might have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wall_black_Fr.jpg (66.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Wall_black_Ba.jpg (23.8 KB, 22 views)
post #4394 of 4403 Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Came into possession of old M&K system

Hi, everyone

I have read through recent pages of the thread and know the basics of the recent history of M&K, but I'm pretty much an AV novice (though a longtime lurker here). I would really appreciate any advice.

I just came into possession of the following home theater setup: three H&K S-150s (L-C-R), two H&K SS-150s (SL, SR), Sony DA5400ES receiver, Episode ES-SUB-10-200 subwoofer. The room is about 19'x12'. Are there any changes or upgrades I should consider that are immediately obvious to you? The subwoofer brand is not one I'm familiar with.

Many thanks for any quick reactions.
post #4395 of 4403 Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
Hi, everyone

I have read through recent pages of the thread and know the basics of the recent history of M&K, but I'm pretty much an AV novice (though a longtime lurker here). I would really appreciate any advice.

I just came into possession of the following home theater setup: three H&K S-150s (L-C-R), two H&K SS-150s (SL, SR), Sony DA5400ES receiver, Episode ES-SUB-10-200 subwoofer. The room is about 19'x12'. Are there any changes or upgrades I should consider that are immediately obvious to you? The subwoofer brand is not one I'm familiar with.

Many thanks for any quick reactions.
You have highly respected and accurate LCR and surround speakers for home theater (and critical multichannel audio, imo) that would be hard to surpass; a great value for the price you probably paid.

The Sony ES receiver is generally a powerful receiver but is rated for 8 ohm speakers. The M&Ks are all 4 ohm speakers and will draw more current from the Sony than 8 ohm speakers. You'll be fine most likely, unless you tend to play your sound sources at very high volumes. Some receivers might then shut down to protect their circuitry (my crude understanding of the issue).

I am unfamiliar with your subwoofer. Only you would know if you're happy with the bass with music reproduction and very low frequency sound pressure levels (like during earthquakes, explosions, etc.) and with the amount of distortion. Generally, people advocate for adding a second subwoofer in your room to gain a small amount of db but a greater smoothing of frequency response at any particular sitting location.

You may already know about the crossover frequency setting in your receiver's Speaker Setup. If not, make sure you set the crossover to your liking by experimenting with this. The usual recommendation is to start at a crossover of 80hz and go up or down from there depending on preference, or start with the setting your receiver selects when using your auto calibration microphone procedure.
richmagnus likes this.

Last edited by snpanago; 08-29-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #4396 of 4403 Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by christr82 View Post
Hi!

Been thinking a long time about purchasing a pair of MP-950s for a simple and ample flatscreen setup. Will most likely use it with an MK V12 or Arendal Sound Sub1. I have previously heard the LCR-950, and was very impressed.

The flatscreen will be mounted with the center at eye height. With the MP-950s directly to the sides, the tweeters - because they are on the lower end of the cabinets - will be a little lower than I would like (and lower than the often recommended 5/8s of the screen height). Mounting them upside down would give a much better tweeter height the way I see it. I don't want to mount them high up on the wall aesthetically speaking. Would there be a difference in sound having it mounted with the tweeters on the bottom? Is it even possible to mount them upside down? The wall-mounts on the backside seems pretty identical to the ones on the MP-150s and the MP-300s, and I have seen them be mounted both ways. How is this achieved? I haven't seen any pictures of the wall mount itself.

Thanks for any input you might have

Hi Chris,

I wouldn't get too hung up on the tweeter height TBH.

If you do want to mount them with the tweeter at the top just unscrew the mounting plate and re fix it 180 degrees. Add a little industrial Velcro to the new top rear of the MP950 just to prevent it falling forwards.

It will not be detrimental to the turn the MP950 180 degrees. We often do this with the in-wall IW950.

The V12 will match perfectly with the 950's.

If you are UK based let me know if you would like a dem of the 950's.

Regards

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Authorised re-sellers for: Steinway Lyngdorf, Lyngdorf Audio, Acurus, Trinnov, Anthem, Arcam, Denon, Marantz, M&K Sound, Procella Audio, Phase Tech dART speaker systems, KEF, Paradigm, Origin Acoustics ,Paradigm, Bose PROFESSIONAL,Sonace, TruAudio, Moovia, Front Row, Pallado, DT Screens, Draper, Projecta, Screen Innovations, Grandview JVC, Sony, Barco, Sim2, Innuos, Zappati, Artnovion, Starscape and more......
post #4397 of 4403 Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
Hi Chris,

I wouldn't get too hung up on the tweeter height TBH.

If you do want to mount them with the tweeter at the top just unscrew the mounting plate and re fix it 180 degrees. Add a little industrial Velcro to the new top rear of the MP950 just to prevent it falling forwards.

It will not be detrimental to the turn the MP950 180 degrees. We often do this with the in-wall IW950.

The V12 will match perfectly with the 950's.

If you are UK based let me know if you would like a dem of the 950's.

Regards

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Hi, and thank you for your answer! Good to know there is a workable solution if needs be! I will probably demo them at home - both ways - before deciding which way goes up

I am based in Norway I would love to come for a demo, and will definitely consider visiting you next time I am in the UK!
richmagnus likes this.
post #4398 of 4403 Old 09-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Liked: 0
First time poster looking for advice on how to drive my current system

I've had the current system installed in my house for about 20 years:
L&R Front: M&K S-125
Center: M&K S-125C
L&R Rear: M&K SS-150 (non-THX)
Sub: M&K MX-125

It used to be run by dual Denon Amps and a Denon receiver, but the electronics are long gone. It's now being run by a Onkyo HT-R510 that was laying around and everything seems to work OK... for now.

My usage is about 80% theater and 20% music. With that in mind:

1.) How does this current system stand up against today's mid-level premium speakers? I've been itching to grab a pair of some Klipsch RP-280F or JBL 590 towers (tons of deals lately) but I'm not sure whether that would be stepping down from my current system. Thoughts?

2.) Assuming I stay with the M&K system, the Onkyo HT-R510 won't cut it. With 4 OHM speakers, I want to fully utilize the audiophile capabilities of these speakers. I would prefer not to have to run a dedicated amp to power the speakers. Is there a Receiver that anyone could recommend that would adequately power these 4 OHM speakers in a 5.1 arrangement without an additional amp? My budget is under $2k. I need 4k support and might be looking to install some in-ceiling ATMOS speakers.
post #4399 of 4403 Old 09-07-2017, 01:07 PM

It's a crappy picture, but here's my system. 4x S-1b, an S85 center and a V12 sub and my new 75" Samsung.

I'm still cleaning up and will take a better pic once things are all done. Now just have to wait for our couches to made and delivered hopefully before the end of November (takes about 8 weeks to make and deliver)

post #4400 of 4403 Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM

I don't need comments about speaker or sub placement lol... My wife is not the type I can negotiate too much with. If she had it her way, I'd have a subless soundbar lol...

post #4401 of 4403 Old 09-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^^ She is messing with the AVSForum Motto: A screen is never too large, you never have enough power ( tim-the-toolman), and two subs are way too few!
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #4402 of 4403 Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ She is messing with the AVSForum Motto: A screen is never too large, you never have enough power ( tim-the-toolman), and two subs are way too few!
Tool time! I have a spare V-2B sub that I connected last night and my wife came down and said the old sub has to go. The room layout is 10' wide and 22' long. It's an L shaped room. The 22' on the right side opens up to the other side of the basement and can't have anything impeding the walkway area as she says.

The pic is an extremely poor drawing of a concept I made a few months ago. The dotted line in the middle denotes the "virtual" room where the tv area and other part of the basement is.

post #4403 of 4403 Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^^ Subs are always questionable not only by WAF but also by interior designers. Maybe an in-wall units may help? Also think about placing them 90 degrees/half way to each other might be a good option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page