Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #4381 of 4392 Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmagnus View Post
A pair of X12's will sound immense in your room. Try them in both the L&R front corners.

The IW95's make for great surrounds and in ceilings. We install many of these in this role.

I personally run IW950's all round including as in ceiling heights. They can play louder and I prefer the sealed enclosure. The shape will not affect anything. They are a loser match to the 150's too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay great, thanks a lot for the information! Leaning toward IW150II LCR and IW950 for ceiling and surrounds.

Thinking about going 2 x SVS PB16-Ultra ($2300/each) though since I want big subwoofers and I can't afford 2 * X12 @ $3700/each.
richmagnus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4392 Old 06-22-2017, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by landonin View Post
Okay great, thanks a lot for the information! Leaning toward IW150II LCR and IW950 for ceiling and surrounds.

Thinking about going 2 x SVS PB16-Ultra ($2300/each) though since I want big subwoofers and I can't afford 2 * X12 @ $3700/each.
+1 on the SVS subs!! Integrate well with M&Ks.
post #4383 of 4392 Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
THX Home Theater Geek Podcast

Just watched this week's Scott Wilkinson's HTG episode featuring THX and their certified products. It was cool to see that THX's CTO uses MK Sound's S300 speakers in their reference room.
tanman likes this.

post #4384 of 4392 Old 07-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In the process of building a dedicated theater room. Room will be approx. 22' x 18' x 12'.
I currently own the following:
L/C/R M&K S5000 MKII
4 - Side Surrounds - M&K SS-150 Tripole
2 - Rear Surrounds - M&K SS-150 Tripole
4 - Atmos - M&K SS-150 Tripole

Amps - 2 - Emotiva XPA5 Gen2

Not sure on subs yet. I own the 5000MKII sub, but was thinking of using it for nearfield on a riser and supplementing with a pair of PSA 3600s or JTR CAPTIVATOR S2s.
I was planning on driving the L/C/R, sides, and Rears with the Emotivas, and finding a good receiver with pre-outs to drive the atmos channels.
Any suggestions on the receiver? Was trying to save a little coin vs. a pre-amp and another amp for the atmos channels.
Thoughts?
post #4385 of 4392 Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hey guys, I hope this thread is still somewhat alive... I've been reading all the posts, and i'm only on page 52!!!

Lots of history with M&K unfortunately.

My dad is a big audiophile and I got a bunch of M&K speakers from him from his extra audio room he has. I've had them for about 5yrs now and I'm still blown away by the amazing sound quality.

I have 5x S-1b satellites and I had the M&K V-2B sub. I lost the sub due to a basement flood a month ago. I'm working with our insurance company now to get a replacement. Todays model would be the VX 12, and I'm awaiting to hear from our insurance company if they will pay the whole cost of replacement or a partial cost. They have been really good so far replacing full value of most items we lost like a Dyson vacuum, and surge protectors. But other things, they are giving us a bit of a rough time on. But that's another day's story.

My dad loves his M&K's and now he's actually using Acoustat 2+2 speakers. He loves them, but always makes comments about his M&K's

They sound so amazing. I've been to friends house's and listened to their systems and I find speakers aren't as rich sounding as the M&K's.

While my wife and I were going to be doing full house reno's this year, the flood caused a lot of damage in the basement and that is our/MY area. So I'm doing a full upgrade minus the speakers! New TV, new receiver, new HTPC and a new sub!

I hope if I have questions about my M&K's, that people are still here like Chris Hagen and others that would be able to help if the need arises.

tv: Samsung UN75MU800
Receiver: Denon AVR 730H
speakers: 5x M&K S-1B
sub: MKsound V12

Last edited by Quicksilv3r; 07-26-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #4386 of 4392 Old 08-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Do you guys have any experience with MK c 75 or c85 center speakers? How are they? I'm using MK S-1b's right now and my wife absolutely hates the S-1b on its side because it has the 2 tweeters in a secondary cabinet on top of the mids. I do see some 75 and 85's on ebay right now, and wondering if I should pull the trigger. I've only been able to read to page 100 in this thread so far, and not much mention of the center speakers yet that I can see.

post #4387 of 4392 Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mps-4835

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought you might be interested in my self-built M&K sub

https://www.facebook.com/apjenks/med...00000280318478

It uses four 8" M&K (17040) drivers. (https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...oofer--299-246)
A 350W Apex Sr amp with modified boost and XLR input circuit added. (http://www.apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm)

Dimensions: 618mm (H) x 532mm (W) x 532mm (D) (24" x 21" x 21")
Weight: 50kg (110lbs)

I don't think that M&K ever built a 4 x 8" sub, but they should have!

My first M&K sub was a VX-7 and I was always amazed at how much tight bass that little sub could produce. I was lucky enough to be able to upgrade to an MPS-2810 (2 x 8") which is an excellent sub, but it was designed to fit into a 19" rack, so it has it's limitations, especially with the LFE in movies.

I figured that a 4 x 8" sub would have the speed of an 8" woofer with the effective cone area of a 16" woofer. I tried my best to make sure that it wouldn't look out of place next to any of my other M&K speakers and I am very happy with the result.

Last edited by Brit62; 08-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.
post #4388 of 4392 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Do you guys have any experience with MK c 75 or c85 center speakers? How are they? I'm using MK S-1b's right now and my wife absolutely hates the S-1b on its side because it has the 2 tweeters in a secondary cabinet on top of the mids. I do see some 75 and 85's on ebay right now, and wondering if I should pull the trigger. I've only been able to read to page 100 in this thread so far, and not much mention of the center speakers yet that I can see.
S-125's work well as center channel speakers
post #4389 of 4392 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Quote:
The S-85 is great if you are limited by space, but as another forum member noted, the S-125 is a solid option as well. The speaker(s) that everyone seems to overlook is the S-100b ( aka the ORIGINAL shallow s-150thx). It's arguably one of the best models from the early M&K speaker line that no one cares about. The Kardashian-esque hype around the S-150THX, over shadows it. I've owned both ( still do, along with MPS2510P and others) - the sonic differences are non existent to my ear . The S-90 is another sleeper model of the old M&K line. - I've mentioned that a few times here in the past. If you're using S-1b any of these speakers will suffice depending on your space/mounting options. and I wouldn't rule out an S-100 - no suffix ( the earlier NON "B" version, which uses the same tweeter as the S1b if I recall).

I'm going to continue downsizing my M&K speaker hoard , so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're in the market for a center. I have several that are for sale. I'm hanging on to the MPS-2510P at the moment but everything else I'm open to selling off. There's at least one set of ST-2 STands that I'm going to part with as well. ( absent of leg covers though but that's just cosmetic anyway).
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #4390 of 4392 Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostown View Post
The S-85 is great if you are limited by space, but as another forum member noted, the S-125 is a solid option as well. The speaker(s) that everyone seems to overlook is the S-100b ( aka the ORIGINAL shallow s-150thx). It's arguably one of the best models from the early M&K speaker line that no one cares about. The Kardashian-esque hype around the S-150THX, over shadows it. I've owned both ( still do, along with MPS2510P and others) - the sonic differences are non existent to my ear . The S-90 is another sleeper model of the old M&K line. - I've mentioned that a few times here in the past. If you're using S-1b any of these speakers will suffice depending on your space/mounting options. and I wouldn't rule out an S-100 - no suffix ( the earlier NON "B" version, which uses the same tweeter as the S1b if I recall).

I'm going to continue downsizing my M&K speaker hoard , so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're in the market for a center. I have several that are for sale. I'm hanging on to the MPS-2510P at the moment but everything else I'm open to selling off. There's at least one set of ST-2 STands that I'm going to part with as well. ( absent of leg covers though but that's just cosmetic anyway).
That's too bad that I didn't hear from you earlier haha. I just bought the s85. My wife wanted me to have an as small as possible center channel. Plus our TV is going to be wall mounted and there isn't much clearance between the TV stand and the TV.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

post #4391 of 4392 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Quote:
That's too bad that I didn't hear from you earlier haha. I just bought the s85. My wife wanted me to have an as small as possible center channel. Plus our TV is going to be wall mounted and there isn't much clearance between the TV stand and the TV.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
No worries.. you found a solution that worked well for your space and met spousal approval criteria. it's a win/win.
Quicksilv3r likes this.
post #4392 of 4392 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostown View Post
No worries.. you found a solution that worked well for your space and met spousal approval criteria. it's a win/win.
Happy wife, happy life

I just received my MKsound V12 today... UGH still 2 weeks away before I can try it out!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page