Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3679 Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Wow, thanks. That is really good news for a bunch of us. Congrats to those on board and I hope you are able to do well!
post #543 of 3679 Old 09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBlueSky View Post

Just thought I would pass this news story along:
M&K Sound Returns | Mix Magazine

Great news, thanks for the info. Now we know why Chris hasn't been around
post #544 of 3679 Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

It is imperative that the new M&K provides service for our new as well as our old customers, says Hagen

Does this mean that any warranty requests will be honored?

Chet
post #545 of 3679 Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

This is welcomed news. Now maybe they (Chris) can figure out when I will be getting by MX5100THX sub back. I sent it in 1 week before they closed for reapir and never received anything back.
post #546 of 3679 Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000 View Post

This is welcomed news. Now maybe they (Chris) can figure out when I will be getting by MX5100THX sub back. I sent it in 1 week before they closed for reapir and never received anything back.

That absolutely stinks!! I can't beleive that they didn't send it back when they closed their doors. Have you heard anything at all? I would be worried that they sold it in the liquidation sale. Hopefully the new management will realize what happened and take care of you. This has to be the worst possible scenario. And to think, I was a little upset that they went away and might not be able to support my gear any more - at least they didn't take my stuff.
post #547 of 3679 Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys. I just won an MX-70 for $270. I will be using it with whatever new monitors I get. I'm going to like it, right?

I'm considering the Onix Reference 1, Dana 630, Energy RC-10, Quad 12L, and possibly the B&W CM-1 for mains. Any idea which would integrate best?

edit: I'm also trying to figure out the model of this M&K sub I heard in a showroom. It was being used with some Energy RC-50s. It was about the size of a small fridge, had cloth covering the front part (didn't look like there was a removable grill) from the bottom to about 3/4th up, and the last bit was silvery I think...

It sounded amazing, and I heard it was around $3,000?
post #548 of 3679 Old 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

good to see the new owners bringing back most of the old crew on board.

Hope they get to bring M&K back with great products once again!

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #549 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgie View Post

good to see the new owners bringing back most of the old crew on board.

Hope they get to bring M&K back with great products once again!

The big question is if Ken Kreisel will be back. He is the audio genius.
post #550 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryle View Post

The big question is if Ken Kreisel will be back. He is the audio genius.

If that were a possibility, methinks he would have been able to come to agreement with the buyers prior to auction.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #551 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

No, he did not say at no charge!

This is all that they own. They acquired no liabilities nor inventory.

"Put under creditor jurisdiction in February, Becher and Bak acquired M&K's intellectual property (brand name, trademarks, Websites, etc.) in July."
post #552 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video View Post

That absolutely stinks!! I can't beleive that they didn't send it back when they closed their doors. Have you heard anything at all?

Who would he hear from? The old M & K is kaput!
post #553 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Who would he hear from? The old M & K is kaput!

I bet you'll see it on Ebay at some point: it most probably was auctioned off with all the other stuff.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #554 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of M&K on ebay. The MX-70 I won for $270 came this afternoon. I've been subless with my Energy C-9s since I got them. They play very deep though (into the mid 30Hz's), so I didn't think a sub (especially one for a good price) would make much of an improvement.

Boy have I been wrong. I've got it crossed over around 45Hz, turned up almost half way, and I am LOVING it. I've tested it, and I'm getting solid output almost down to 20Hz, which is crazy for something so small. It sounds SO solid too. Integrates very very well. I think it's actually more taught than the woofers on my C-9s.

I'm entrenched in the M&K kamp now.
post #555 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Glad you are enjoying your new MX-70. I have the B version of that sub and I have been very happy with it for over four years. A few years ago I had a some questions about new M&K speakers and had the opportunity to speak with one of their engineers. I mentioned I owned the MX-70B and he was mystified why the MX-70 and 70B were discontinued. He thought (and as owners so do we) it was a very good performer with a very small footprint. How did you select the location for your sub to get an in-room response down to almost 20Hz?
post #556 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr858 View Post

How did you select the location for your sub to get an in-room response down to almost 20Hz?

Actually, I just set it between my towers (in front of the gear rack), and have been using it there. I haven't bothered playing with positioning yet. I think I'm going to end up sticking it in the corner behind my right speaker. My room is very small, which is probably why I'm getting good response, even with sub-optimal (lol) positioning. Also, the perception of bass output varies A LOT if I walk around my room. In my listening chair, which is close to the back wall, the output is , but if I walk towards the sub, when I'm standing right in front of it, I can't hear it playing at all.

edit: Know how much the 70 retailed for? Any opinion on whether it's superior to Hsu's or SVS's smaller subs? My dream (affordable) sub right now is the SVS SB12-Plus. Would that be a noticable step up, or do I already have a worthy <$1000 sub? What more expensive M&Ks would be worth looking into down the road?

edit2: Ahahaha. I just put it in the corner. The bass output at my listening position probably quadrupled. I'm turning the volume down.
post #557 of 3679 Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 PM

Mid-point along a wall is probably a null point so I'm not surprised you had some dead zones and the bass got louder when you moved it to a corner. I have mine in the left corner approx 2 feet from each wall and it is plenty for my room (15' wide, 8' high, 20' deep). I read somewhere that for 8' ceilings if you put the sub up off the floor a couple of feet in a corner it will improve the sound even more! Bass is supposed be non-directional but I can tell the sub is to my left when listening to stereo music. Maybe I need to get another sub for the right corner?!!

I don't know that price would be the determining factor in selecting a sub these days, but my 70B was about $1100 msrp when I purchased it. I think you paid a fair price for yours used. I've not listened to any subs from either of the companies you mentioned but I understand they have good reputations. I have listened to a Outlaw LFM-2 which was designed in collaboration with Hsu and it has amazing output for such a small package. The more robust M&K subs include the MX-150, MX-350 and MX-5000; all are dual 12" subs with more powerful amps than the MX-70/B and bring fairly high prices on ebay. Depending upon the size of your room, these subs could be too large.
post #558 of 3679 Old 10-02-2007, 06:57 PM

I have had a set of M&K THX S-150 fronts with 4 THX s-150 surounds, and 2 THX 150 subs stacked on top of one another for about 5 years now. They are powered using a Denon AVS 4802-R. When I bought the system the wife just kind of went along for the ride to shut me up. Now she thinks it's one of the best buys she's made.
I too was saddened to loose M&K as a supplier of fine speakers.
post #559 of 3679 Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 PM

That is quite a setup! How big is your room? Have you loosened the framing nails in your house with the subs? Oh, and what else does the wife want to buy?

Pibbo: To find the best location for your sub place it in your primary listening position and move around the room when playing bass-heavy music or even better a series of bass tones. Using a SPL meter or by ear you can tell where the bass is the greatest. Remember to measure or listen a foot or so off the floor if you are going to have the sub on the floor. That spot will be a very good place to put the subwoofer and you can tweak from there.
post #560 of 3679 Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM

[quote=wjr858;11796665]That is quite a setup! How big is your room? Have you loosened the framing nails in your house with the subs? Oh, and what else does the wife want to buy?
The room is just under 3,000 cuft. I don't know about the framing nails, but the sheet rock hasn't popped any nails yet. I did have to de-buzz the room in several areas and back off the output of the subs by 3db.We love the sustem, it has so much reserve power. We listen at - 12 to - 18db from THX reference level depending on the material, and the system will easily run at reference with no strain. However at that level it excites paint cans in the garage. I am running the surrounds in the tri-pole configuration which presents a 2 ohm load to the Denon AVS and it has handled it with no heat or strain. I really thought I would blow it up in this setup, but I have been proven wrong.
post #561 of 3679 Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM

Hey guys,
I just acquired four SW 85s, one sw150, and one MK90 sub. Can someone tell me if these are worth putting in my HT? They do not have the pre-construction brackets or the foam surround, can I even get these items? Can anyone tell me how old the MK 90 sub is? Thanks, Chad
post #562 of 3679 Old 10-09-2007, 11:12 PM

The SW-150 is the inwall version of the S-150 series. I understand the inwall 150 is a less focused speaker than the one in the cabinet to compensate for the inability to adjust it. With only one I suppose you would use it as your center channel. I imagine the SW-85s have the same broad pattern. They all had the square M&K tweeters which are terrific.

I understood the foam was to create a volume behind the speaker so if someone has the pdf of the SW-85s and SW-150 you could create that volume with a box in the wall lined with foam for speaker enclosures. Do you have the grills? The paintable grills may help diffuse the sound and create a larger sweet spot.

Now, should you use them? Well that depends upon a lot of factors including the size of the room, ability to place the inwalls correctly, ability of our amp to handle 4 ohm loads, etc, etc.

My MX-70B was offered at about the same time as the MX-90 so it could be 5 or 6 years old.
post #563 of 3679 Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:

The SW-150 is the inwall version of the S-150 series. I understand the inwall 150 is a less focused speaker than the one in the cabinet to compensate for the inability to adjust it. With only one I suppose you would use it as your center channel. I imagine the SW-85s have the same broad pattern. They all had the square M&K tweeters which are terrific.

I understood the foam was to create a volume behind the speaker so if someone has the pdf of the SW-85s and SW-150 you could create that volume with a box in the wall lined with foam for speaker enclosures. Do you have the grills? The paintable grills may help diffuse the sound and create a larger sweet spot.

Now, should you use them? Well that depends upon a lot of factors including the size of the room, ability to place the inwalls correctly, ability of our amp to handle 4 ohm loads, etc, etc.

My MX-70B was offered at about the same time as the MX-90 so it could be 5 or 6 years old.

Thank for the help. Yes I have the grills and hope to aquire two more sw150s. How do you like your MX 70B? My room will be 24x15x9 as a dedicated HT in the basement. I am still looking for an amp, but am considering the Marantz SR7001 or 8001. Any more input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Chad
post #564 of 3679 Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:

I understood the foam was to create a volume behind the speaker so if someone has the pdf of the SW-85s and SW-150 you could create that volume with a box in the wall lined with foam for speaker enclosures. .

Not exactly. The width between the studs and the floor to ceiling space approximates the cabinet volume. That is not overly important.

The foam behind the speaker (or you could use some fiberfill) which IS important is to absorb the back wave from the 2 5-1/4" drivers, which would tend to smear the vocal range if the back wave was allowed to bounce off the back wall, then propagate forward through the driver and into the room. This is most important with the Center channel.

Since the distance from the cone to the back wall to the cone again is about 5" (even though the cone is tapered...) that's 1/2 wavelength at about 1300 Hz. If you are feeling in an experimental mood you can test this yourself using 2 channels one with and one without the absorbtive material; just feed real mono into both speakers so the test is perfectly fair.

Also you are correct; the (rather complex) crossover arrangement is designed so that the summation lobe has a larger VERTICAL angle with the inwalls because you can't aim them and also many people put them in the wrong place, such as too high or too low.

IF you have grilles and IF you intend to paint them you must be VERY careful to NOT close up the grille holes, since the back of the grille has a cloth covering and it is very easy for the paint meniscus to fill up the small holes. The only way to paint them without filling up the holes is to use either a cloth wipe or a very good paper towel such as a bounty microwave; make a small pad, apply a very little bit of paint to the pad with a small brush, and then after the paint has been absorbed a little by the paper towel, gently dab the grille with about the size of 2 fingers.

You will soon get the hang of doing this. As you initially experiment you can wash the paint off for the first few tries. Once the cloth on the back gets wet you then have to absorb the water off the cloth with ANOTHER paper towel.

This all sounds only marginally harder than it is.

You may also elect to remove the cloth, which makes it way easier to paint, but then you see the drivers through the holes.

IF you leave the cloth in place and clog the holes that would make for a somewhat nasty attenuator...

Barry
post #565 of 3679 Old 11-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Liked: 11
I have M&K Speakers all around in my home theater that I purchased over the years from about 1992 up to late 2006 . My sub is an older MX-80 and I am having trouble with the variable volume control on the back of it. In one position the Sub volume works well. If I try to change the volume either up or down, the sub gets really noisy and the woofers seem to go into a resonance. Makes my wife think the house is coming down around us.

I think the rheostat must be dirty. Has anone had any experience with this sort of problem? I'd like to see if I can get a new rheostat to replace the dirty one but have not yet taken the old one out to see if there is any indentification on it. Has anyone else replaced one on any of the M&K subs?

Bob
post #566 of 3679 Old 11-10-2007, 02:43 PM

Next weekend (17/11) there will be a event/seminar in Stockholm Sweden where M&K representatives (at this moment I don't know who, maybe Asger Bak) will talk about present AND future M&K products.

And some very interesting new products will be shown, some say a complete new speaker line up from MK, the M-series.

/Chuck

'Musicality' is the last refuge of a tweak.
post #567 of 3679 Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 PM

Bump..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoblK View Post

I have M&K Speakers all around in my home theater that I purchased over the years from about 1992 up to late 2006 . My sub is an older MX-80 and I am having trouble with the variable volume control on the back of it. In one position the Sub volume works well. If I try to change the volume either up or down, the sub gets really noisy and the woofers seem to go into a resonance. Makes my wife think the house is coming down around us.

I think the rheostat must be dirty. Has anone had any experience with this sort of problem? I'd like to see if I can get a new rheostat to replace the dirty one but have not yet taken the old one out to see if there is any indentification on it. Has anyone else replaced one on any of the M&K subs?

Bob

post #568 of 3679 Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM

I also have an MX-80.....but I do not have a resolution to your issue unfortunately, but I was wondering if you had the specs on it. I bought mine used quite a few years ago, but never found out it's specs. How does this sub compare to newer woofers in the $300-400 range.

Regards,
Dan
post #569 of 3679 Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVicker View Post

I also have an MX-80.....but I do not have a resolution to your issue unfortunately, but I was wondering if you had the specs on it. I bought mine used quite a few years ago, but never found out it's specs. How does this sub compare to newer woofers in the $300-400 range.

Regards,
Dan

Dan,

I bought this one new in 1992. I should have the specs, but I just finished moving back to the USA in August after being in China for 2 years, so I have to look for them. I'll scan what I find and I'll PM it to you.

Bob
post #570 of 3679 Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 PM

I'm using a set of M&K SX-7 bookshelf speakers as mains. I bought these back in 1995 paired with a V-75 powered sub. I've been happy with the sound for 10+ years but would like to add some small surround speakers to the mix. Does anyone have a suggestion on a brand of small satellites that might blend well with the SX-7s?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page