Dewboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3680 Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ed, somebody on the receiver forum suggested emotiva seperates. I've been reading up on these this evening and it sounds like it fits my budget and quality. The amp can run at 4ohms and there is a 30 day and 5 year warranty. $899 and free shipping for both! Last night the receiver shut down when I didn't even have anything on, so I'm going to have to get either a receiver or pre and an amp.
post #33 of 3680 Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball View Post

Ed, somebody on the receiver forum suggested emotiva seperates. I've been reading up on these this evening and it sounds like it fits my budget and quality. The amp can run at 4ohms and there is a 30 day and 5 year warranty. $899 and free shipping for both! Last night the receiver shut down when I didn't even have anything on, so I'm going to have to get either a receiver or pre and an amp.

First, it sounds like your problem is not the fact that the receiver can't handle 4 ohm (at least at moderate levels), but maybe you have a small strand of speaker wire shorting the amps output. Check both the receiver ends and the speaker ends. It shouldn't shut down with nothing playing.

Second, if you do decide to buy electronics, you don't have to buy a pre-pro if you don't want to spend the $$. You can add just a power amp and connect to the pre-outs on the receiver.

Ed
post #34 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 AM

Thank you Ed. I'm glad I checked!

OMG I am brainless. It's a long story with some weird bad luck. Several years ago we got a new puppy, then my receiver started shutting down. I then noticed my surround left wasn't working, sure enough the dog had mangled the wire behind the couch. Fixed that, problem went away for a while, then started back up again a year later. Intermitant since, and finally really going out more. I took the receiver out and replaced it with an old power amp and then started having a problem with distortion in the left front speaker. It can't be both amps, so I checked and discovered it was a bad wire. The dog and cats play with the wire occasionally. Then hooked up the HK again and it started having problems again, and started thinking it has to be the receiver. Duh, when my wife and I changed the HK back in a couple of speakers got hooked up out of phase. I discovered this when I checked to make sure there were no wires touching. I cranked up the pixies live DVD for an hour and a half with no ill effects. So I guess I'll wait a year or two before getting a new receiver, I've got time now. I do want to get a new receiver because I want to have DPL II and maybe hdmi switching?

On a side note, I bought a pair of surround 550THX's for another room and emailed M&K a question and also mentioned I was looking for a receiver or amp. He mentioned he's had 50,000 emails over the years and from this info gave me some suggestions of amps that people were happy with (no problem with 4ohms and people really liked) and ones that annoyed them (had trouble handling 4ohm loads and or didn't like). Marantz which I was told made my HK was one of the favored lesser priced amp/receivers as was NAD, Denon, Outlaw and Sherwood. The 3805 had a lot of happy campers. You could tell by the email he wasn't real thrilled with some companies claiming their products could handle 4ohm loads and couldn't and others that claimed to make high end amps and didn't.

This is the 3rd time over the years I've contacted them and each time I got immediate help. When my sub speaker died after a decade they sent me a new one for only $60. Each time they've been very quick and specific with their replies.
post #35 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewboy3 View Post

I have LCR 150P and 350 Sub. four SS 150
Preamp Anthem D-1 My room is treated
I have to say it sounds great with any source

Dewboy

What size is your HT room? Also, why did you use the SS 150 for the surrounds and not the 150P's.

post #36 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 AM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you Ed. I'm glad I checked!

I'm glad that it worked out for you.

Ed
post #37 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo View Post

Is anyone running the MK THX S-150P Active System?

Chuck

Yes. I am. Love them.

I've got 5 S-150P's and the MX-5000 sub being fed with a Parasound C1.

Here are some pics I took over the holidays with my wide angle lens. I'm not going to post all of them as images here, but I'll provide links for those interested from around the room.

Here's a shot from the seating position. AKA "Sweet Spot":

Chet
post #38 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 05:44 PM

Chet,

Thanks for the post on your S150P's. How long have you had them?

Did you buy direct or go through a dealer. The nearest delaer they have on their website is in San Antonio, Texas and I'm in Fort Worth.

post #39 of 3680 Old 01-20-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo View Post

Chet,

Thanks for the post on your S150P's. How long have you had them?

Did you buy direct or go through a dealer. The nearest delaer they have on their website is in San Antonio, Texas and I'm in Fort Worth.

I bought from the only M&K dealer in Houston. However, they had no demo's of any M&K products and I had to special order these bad boys. They took about 2.5 months to arrive and I had to pay in advance. I am not even sure if they are still M&K dealers. I've had them for about 3 years now. This was about a year before M&K put up an online store.

Chet
post #40 of 3680 Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 AM

Chet,

What wall mounts are you using for your S150P's? Killer system, by the way. I'm totally envious of your setup.

James

the artist formerly known as jamesdmc
post #41 of 3680 Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks James. I was lucky enough to get these mounts back when M&K still manufactured them. They are M&K mounts.

Chet
post #42 of 3680 Old 02-04-2007, 10:19 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Xenon Series?
post #43 of 3680 Old 02-04-2007, 10:39 PM

An update on my receiver situation. My HK did bite the dust, several days later it started shutting down when listening again.

I ended up getting the Emotiva UL seperates because a guy locally that does home theaters had them and let me bring my speakers over and listen. I have to say that the UL/M&K setup sounds very good, extremely quiet, clean, clear dialogue on movies, and very dynamic. Drum hits and acoustic guitars sound very real.
post #44 of 3680 Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 AM

What I actually am trying to figure out is a decent M&K 5.1 with 10" or smaller for l/r and a separate center and sub.

If the Xenon gets the OK for fronts & surrounds, I would still like a dedicated center and sub that will integrate the whole system.

There are so many options on their website, and it appears that M&K does not want to be contacted for sales info

Thanks
post #45 of 3680 Old 02-05-2007, 11:56 AM

What do you guys think of this setup?

3 K-15 @ $199.00 = $597.00
1 pair K-4 $499.00
1 KX-8 $549.00
total $1,645.00

http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/me...pid=339&step=4
http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/me...pid=340&step=4
http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/me...pid=338&step=4
post #46 of 3680 Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 PM

A friend of mine bought and then returned one of the smaller subs several years ago. I don't know how similar this is? but the one she had was weak. She ended up getting one of the normal size M&K subs and it was light years ahead of the smaller one.
post #47 of 3680 Old 02-06-2007, 05:28 AM

I guess the search for the perfect reasonably price "little system" continues.
post #48 of 3680 Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm not sure how the small surround speakers sound, but it is very difficult to produce high volume, low bass with little subs.
post #49 of 3680 Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm not sure how the small surround speakers sound, but it is very difficult to produce high volume, low bass with little subs.

Actually, it isn't hard. You need a very long excursion driver with a heavy magnet structure, and lots of power to overcome the low sensitivity. Carver's been doing it for years.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #50 of 3680 Old 02-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On a side note, I bought a pair of surround 550THX's for another room and emailed M&K a question and also mentioned I was looking for a receiver or amp. He mentioned he's had 50,000 emails over the years and from this info gave me some suggestions of amps that people were happy with (no problem with 4ohms and people really liked) and ones that annoyed them (had trouble handling 4ohm loads and or didn't like).

Do you happen to still have this e-mail laying around in your inbox or saved somewhere? I'd write them to ask the same question, but it's such a small company that I'd rather not bother them if I don't have to. My receiver (a Pioneer 1015) has a 6 ohm mode, and seems to have plenty of head room, but I would be curious to know if it was specifically mentioned in the e-mail one way or the other.

Also wanted to mention that I love M&K speakers. I got a 15 year old M&K sub from my dad when my parents moved, since they were installing a new HT with 150's and a bigger sub. The sub started acting up a few months ago, and I had no problem getting suggestions from their repair people on how to troubleshoot it. Ended up shipping them the amp for repair, and will have it back this week for just under $75, including shipping both ways. Heck of a deal to extend the life of a great piece of equipment.

I also ordered some speakers during their recent Valentine's Day Sale. Their stock changes on a daily basis, and I changed my order 3 times. Bret, one of the two guys that works sales, was really easy to work with, and really understandable once I got him on the phone. He admitted that the owner (presumably Ken Kreisel) kept changing his mind on what he wanted on the site for the sale, on what was included and excluded from the sale, etc. I don't envy him his job one bit.

I have a pair of B1600's and a set of 3 S85's (L/C/R) on the way. Can't wait to hook them all up!
post #51 of 3680 Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny how the S-150 line is always excluded from their "sales".

Chet
post #52 of 3680 Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

These are on sale currently on M&K online site:

S-150 THX MI Mirror-Image Angled-IN Pairs in Black (NEW) NEW S-150 MI BK pairs $ 2198.00

S-150 THX SQ PAIR Light Cherry (CosB) CosB S-150 SQ LTCH PAIR $ 2199.00

S-150 THX SQ Square Cabinet in Black (NEW) NEW S-150 SQ BK $ 1099.00
post #53 of 3680 Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Monty, I think he meant how the S-150's are excluded from the 20% off Valentine's deal.

That said, they probably move enough S-150's that they don't need to put them on 20% off sale. The list of exclusions isn't very long, really, it just happens to include stuff that they have no problem selling.

If I was going to try and empty the warehouse of dusty older models, I'd run the sale pretty much the same way.
post #54 of 3680 Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't even know there was a Valentine's day sale. Might be a good time to tell my wife I need to upgrade my S150's to the S-250's .
post #55 of 3680 Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I got my B1600's yesterday. They were on my porch when I got home, and, thankfully, hadn't grown legs and walked off.

I ordered the "Cosmetic B-Stock" version for significantly less than the "New" price. I was expecting some scratches and blemishes when I took them out of the boxes, but I was pretty shocked at what I actually found.

First, the boxes are packed for shipping. I'm talking _Cable Guy_ shipping (aka FedEx), where they are likely to toss your package around the truck and the shipping warehouses as if they were playthings. First, you have to go through a set of monster copper-colored staples to get into the box. Next, there's a thick foam-padded layer on top of the speaker. Then the speaker is also wrapped tight as a drum in the thin whitish foam paper. The amount of padding and reinforcement in the boxes is pretty amazing, compared to my past experiences with big-box store speaker packaging.

Once out of the box, I looked for the "Cosmetic b-stock" damages. I found, well, none. The only thing I could find was that the paint was rubbed thin on one of the back corners of one speaker, and along the back upper edge of the other. You wouldn't know it unless a) you were looking for it, and b) you were looking at the BACK of the speaker.

Got the speakers hooked up and took out the "plugs" for "full-range mode". The speakers certainly live up to their marketing. While nothing can make up for a good high-power sub, there are very few frequencies missing to my ears. I'm no expert or anything, but all of my music, from Maynard Ferguson to Fort Minor, sounded phenomenal, and the first 15 minutes of The Italian Job were amazing.

The S-85's should arrive today. Can't wait to pop in a movie once those are hooked up.
post #56 of 3680 Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Funny how the S-150 line is always excluded from their "sales".

m&k really can't keep up with the demand on that speaker, no point to discounting it.
post #57 of 3680 Old 02-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Another M&K fan here.

5- S150's and MX150 sub in main room and 2-B1600's and K8 sub on my computer.

I purchased my S-150's about 3 years ago and they are about the only thing in my home theater that I don't have the upgrade bug for. Truly amazing, I get lots of enjoyment from these speakers.
post #58 of 3680 Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I am currently running the S-125 L/C/R, SS-150 Side surrounds and an SVS 16-46PCi sub. They are powered by a H/K AVR7300 for now, until my Marantz SR7001 gets here. In the future I plan on upgrading to S-150 L/C/R and rear surround and the MX-350 sub and hopefully some seperates, this won't be until I graduate. I bought the speakers probably 7-8 years ago and couldn't be happier with them.
post #59 of 3680 Old 02-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

The S-85's should arrive today. Can't wait to pop in a movie once those are hooked up.

M&K fan here also, I upgraded my M&K 851s to S150s across the front, I was really surprised how much better the 150s are.

I also upgraded to the S-85s for surround duty back in December, ordered them from www.mksoundstore.com and was surprised to find that they have the Professional crossover installed - Nice bonus!

I think you will love the S-85s CR_Client, let us know what you think.
post #60 of 3680 Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

The S-85's sound pretty good so far. Haven't had much time to listen to them, and I'm still battling a cold, so my ears and sinuses are too plugged up to really appreciate much of anything related to audio right now.

Hunter- Did your S-85's have two different sets of inputs on them, as shown in the original S-85 manual, or did they just have the single set of inputs and a newer manual that didn't really have any information in it? I was a bit disappointed that the S-85's I got didn't really match what they show on the discontinued items archives on the M&K website. Then again, I practically stole them for what I paid, so I'm not complaining too much.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page