3Likes

post #721 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I heard a few times now that M&K is back in europe. Any have a website? Some are claiming one exists.

mksoundsystem.com

I have ordered the s-150 system

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajax View Post

Let us know how it goes.

Chet
post #723 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Pajax:

You are the first person I've heard about to order from the new M&K. I too am very interested in your experience. Did you own any M&K products from the Ken Kriessel era? If so, I think many of us want to know how the new product stacks up against the old.
post #724 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question. I have been the proud owner of the M&K THX 150 system for years and still enjoy it as much as when I first auditioned them. I have recently moved to a new place and as I was reinstalling the tripoles, I noticed that the stickers with the arrow that indicated which speaker should go where in relationship to the screen and side walls, had come off and disappeared. Is there any other way to tell how they should be orientated?
post #725 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This is intresting.

http://nerveaudio.com/
post #726 of 3680 Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

I have a question. I have been the proud owner of the M&K THX 150 system for years and still enjoy it as much as when I first auditioned them. I have recently moved to a new place and as I was reinstalling the tripoles, I noticed that the stickers with the arrow that indicated which speaker should go where in relationship to the screen and side walls, had come off and disappeared. Is there any other way to tell how they should be orientated?

I believe that you want the driver that is in-phase with the front speakers to face forward. If you can open up the dipoles and determine by examination or measurement that would be best. The battery method probably won't work because the excursion of the tweeters will be too small. So as a last resort, I'd put the front speakers close to the dipoles, play the same signal thru the front and dipole, and stick my head between the front and the dipole. One side of the dipole should sound rock solid mono with the front while the other side of the dipole should sound uncomfortable.

Ed
post #727 of 3680 Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb View Post

I believe that you want the driver that is in-phase with the front speakers to face forward. If you can open up the dipoles and determine by examination or measurement that would be best. The battery method probably won't work because the excursion of the tweeters will be too small. So as a last resort, I'd put the front speakers close to the dipoles, play the same signal thru the front and dipole, and stick my head between the front and the dipole. One side of the dipole should sound rock solid mono with the front while the other side of the dipole should sound uncomfortable.

Ed

ekb is absolutely correct. This is good advice.

Mike
post #728 of 3680 Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

This is intresting.

http://nerveaudio.com/

Maybe... I sent them a message on their "Contact Us" form and got an automated response that my message was undeliverable.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #729 of 3680 Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mksoundsystem.com

Thomas

When do you expect these to arrive?
post #730 of 3680 Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:

When do you expect these to arrive?

It is said to come around 030108
post #731 of 3680 Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I got a quick question for you guys. I own an LCR set of 750's, does anyone have any mounts that they could recommend me to buy?

Thanks

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #732 of 3680 Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Omimounts work well with M&K. I have a set for my S150's

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #733 of 3680 Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM

I have (2) V-125 subs that are having issues with the crossover and volume rheostats. Every time i turn the knob it makes a very loud "brown note" and I need to unplug it from going deaf. After some pulling on the knob and replugging in the sub it will go away. I need replacement rheostats to fix the issue and have no idea of where to go..anyone find a supplier for such a thing? I have e-mailed them at the inquires link from mksound.com and got nothing back. *help*
post #734 of 3680 Old 03-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Have you tried the suggestion here -> http://www.soundoctor.com/service/ ?
post #735 of 3680 Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM

hi,
new to the sub.... i was looking into purchasing a m&k mx-150 subwoofer. how would this sub compare to my velodyne hgs-12
art

GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ANTHEM)

post #736 of 3680 Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is said to come around 030108

Did you get them? Hope so and hope they are great!
post #737 of 3680 Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
ekb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artex4special View Post

hi,
new to the sub.... i was looking into purchasing a m&k mx-150 subwoofer. how would this sub compare to my velodyne hgs-12
art

You might want to ask in the sub forum.

Ed
post #738 of 3680 Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM

HI
I'm a proud owner of the LCR 750 M&K speakers. As I was looking for brackets for my speakers i found these on overstock.com ---Miller & Kreisel K4 Speakers.
Can you tell me if they will match my 750's since it's a different model.
Also i might add that i think those are original speakers made by Miller and Kreisel not the new owners of the company. They also have the whole systems at low prices so check them out. I hope those are original though.
I forgot to add that I already have the matching subwoofer, center channel and surround speakers (SURROUND-550 MK II THX ). im just trying to upgrade the surrounds and i'm not even sure if I did the right thing by buying the K4's.
Thanks
post #739 of 3680 Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric hd View Post

HI
I'm a proud owner of the LCR 750 M&K speakers. As I was looking for brackets for my speakers i found these on overstock.com ---Miller & Kreisel K4 Speakers.
Can you tell me if they will match my 750's since it's a different model.
Also i might add that i think those are original speakers made by Miller and Kreisel not the new owners of the company. They also have the whole systems at low prices so check them out. I hope those are original though.
I forgot to add that I already have the matching subwoofer, center channel and surround speakers (SURROUND-550 MK II THX ). im just trying to upgrade the surrounds and i'm not even sure if I did the right thing by buying the K4's.
Thanks

The K4's are not in the same series as the 750's surround speakers (Surround 55 Tripole and Surround 550). Actually as you can see on MK Sound website, the K4's know produced in the new "Alpha System"-series.

If you are looking for wall brackets go for Vogel's VLB 100, they are a perfekt match for the 750 LCR's.

/Chuck

'Musicality' is the last refuge of a tweak.
post #740 of 3680 Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:

Did you get them? Hope so and hope they are great!

Well....no! Its said to be delivered 031308, M&K has delivering problems, i am happy if i recieve them before summer

They have been telling this story from beginning of December 2007,. this is the 7th time they do it

Thomas
post #741 of 3680 Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well....no! Its said to be delivered 031308, M&K has delivering problems, i am happy if i recieve them before summer

They have been telling this story from beginning of December 2007,. this is the 7th time they do it

Thomas

That is too bad. The old M&K used to pull this stuff all the time but the new owners seem to be even worse. They seem to be having a hard time getting their operation up and running. I just don't understand it.

You may just have to break down and buy some of the older ones on eBay.

Sorry,

Mike
post #742 of 3680 Old 03-08-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has anyone received speakers from the new M&K. They are a new company at this point. Why would they have delivery problems. I find that odd.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #743 of 3680 Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

So sad. They made SUCH a good product. For home theater use, I have yet to find a system that sounds better for anywhere near the same price as my 150thx system.
post #744 of 3680 Old 03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

So sad. They made SUCH a good product. For home theater use, I have yet to find a system that sounds better for anywhere near the same price as my 150thx system.

I agree. They made great stuff. I love my M&Ks!

The new company seems to be really slow at getting going. I don't think they have delivery problems as much as they have PRODUCTION problems. I don't think they can get much product made so they have nothing to ship. They seem to be focusing on the new stuff and can't seem to get the old stuff into production. They are taking too long to get this going. There isn't even a U.S. operation yet. I don't know if their problems are financial or operational but I suspect both. Whatever the problem, it doesn't bode well for the new M&K.

Mike
post #745 of 3680 Old 03-09-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Has anyone received speakers from the new M&K. They are a new company at this point. Why would they have delivery problems. I find that odd.

I have.

The problem as far as I know, is that the new MK Sound did not actually buy all of the technical stuff from the old M&K.

They bought the brand name and there has been a lot of "back engineering" to get the "old" models, such as the 150-series up and running.

/Chuck

post #746 of 3680 Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck V View Post

I have.

The problem as far as I know, is that the new MK Sound did not actually buy all of the technical stuff from the old M&K.

They bought the brand name and there has been a lot of "back engineering" to get the "old" models, such as the 150-series up and running.

/Chuck

Can you tell us what models you got and any sonic differences you have notices with the originals?
post #747 of 3680 Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Can you tell us what models you got and any sonic differences you have notices with the originals?

I have the 750-system.

Well, I'm not going to say there is any difference if i can't listend to them in a comparsion fashion in the same room at the same time.

But I have listened to both the "old" ones and the "new" ones, but at different occations, and in different rooms. However, to me, they sound very very good, I would not have bought them if they where to sound bad.

And I have also dismounted the drivers and posted pictures to former Senior Engineer and M&K guru Barry Ober, and his response was they to him, looked like the "originals".

/Chuck

post #748 of 3680 Old 03-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck V View Post

I have.

/Chuck

Chuck, I don't mean any disrespect to you at all because I am sure this is what you have been told. However, if M&K is saying this, I think they are full of it. Let's break this down...

1) The current owners already were producing and distributing most of the models available (with the exception of the 150 series and a few others as you mentioned) prior to the demise of M&K so they obviously don't have to reverse engineer those. Why are those models not available worldwide at the very least? There is no M&K presence in the U.S. at all. They could easily sell the 750 series and anything else they were already producing in the U.S. but they are not. Why?

2) As we know, the technical information you mentioned was up for auction the same day the new owners bought the name. Even though this information sold relatively cheaply, they did not bid on it. Why? I can only assume they were: a) Ignorant and didn't realize how important it was. b) Knew how important it was but didn't have any more money. c) Dismissed the importance of it and figured it would be cheaper to reverse engineer the designs. I don't know for sure but am guessing either (b) or (c). If the answer is (b), then they are REALLY hurting for cash and they have no business trying to start this company back up in the first place. As I mentioned, this information sold for very little money all things considered. My guess is the real reason is (c) which is probably mostly true - see below.

3) Anyone who has been following this thread knows exactly who bought the technical information and the new M&K knows it too. If they decided this information was really that important, why didn't they purchase it from them? Are they low on cash? Are they just stubborn? Or do they still think they don't need it. Your guess is as good as mine here.

4) Reverse engineering passive (non-powered) speakers like the S-150 is not really a big deal as long as you can get drivers. There really isn't much to a speaker. You have a cabinet, a network/crossover, the drivers, a wire harness and some Dacron/fiberglass. They were already making the cabinets for many models so all they have to do is measure an existing cabinet and make those. That can't be the hold-up. The crossover should be a piece of cake. Simply put the same components (capacitors, resistors and inductors) in the same configuration on a board. Again, they are already doing this for other models so what is the big deal? The drivers were mostly made by Tymphany/Peerless and I assume they still have a relationship with them so they don't have to reverse engineer drivers (which would be the hardest part but still shouldn't take this long). If they can't come up with a wire harness and some Dacron, they are really in trouble. Where they MAY have run into real trouble is on active/powered speakers. Can they still get those amps? If not, can they reverse engineer those? That is doable but much more involved than what we are talking about with passive speakers. Can they use different amps from another manufacturer and how will those integrate with the existing components? What is involved in getting custom amps made? These are more complicated questions and they may have hit a snag resulting in delays there.

5) If they really are having trouble reverse engineering these speakers, why are they letting people like Thomas order them? This would be completely dishonest in my opinion. Thomas, did they already take your money or are you just on a waiting list?

So in summary, It has been over a year since M&K went under. It has been nearly a year since the new M&K bought the name. I can't see why they can't be producing and selling almost every model of speaker by now unless they have financial or operational problems of some unknown type. Either way, they'd better figure it out quick or they will find they won't have a market to come back to.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike
post #749 of 3680 Old 03-17-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

4) Reverse engineering passive (non-powered) speakers like the S-150 is not really a big deal as long as you can get drivers. ...Where they MAY have run into real trouble is on active/powered speakers.

So at what point do they get into the area of patent infringement on any of this stuff, if M&K held patents on its designs and sold those at auction.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #750 of 3680 Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

So at what point do they get into the area of patent infringement on any of this stuff, if M&K held patents on its designs and sold those at auction.

That is an excellent question. Since the new owners bought the name, do all patents and rights of the prior company automatically transfer to them? Does Ken Kreisel personally hold patents on any of this stuff? Is any of this intellectual property in the public domain at this point? I am no attorney so I wouldn't hazard a guess.

To be clear, the technical information sold at auction consisted of computer files detailing the designs of nearly every model of M&K speaker. These were on the computers sold. Were the RIGHTS also sold to the purchaser of those computers or just the technical data? Again, I don't know.

Mike
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page