Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #901 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A couple of Parasounds for me also - A21 (2 channel) and an A51 (5 channel)... 400w per channel into 4 ohms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 12:21 PM

I am using Nad Masters M25, M15 preamp

Thomas
post #903 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread by Chris H. that the exact paint used for M&K speakers is unknown, but has anyone had any luck finding a black paint that closely matches the factory finish? I have a pair of M&K LDM-125 stands in white, which I would love to try to paint black to match some S150s. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help with the paint directly, but I disassembled a non-functioning M&K Bookshelf 75 and stamped on the inside of the speaker was "VIP Woodworks, Inc.". A google search shows there is a firm by that name in Hesperia, CA. Hesperia is located off the I-15 north of LA and just south of Victorville. If they built other M&K cabinets they might know the source or mix of the black paint. Hope this helps.
post #904 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Some nice seperates.

M&K was always pretty tight lipped in regards to the paint used on their cabinets. Multiple layers and a baking process. They always told me to use a black paint pen from local art supply stores for touch ups. I don't think anyone is going to stumble onto the magic formula. Might just have to match paint as close as you can or live with them the way they are.

Maybe it was a lack of paint and not cabinets that was the final nail. OOOPS! Did I say that out loud?
post #905 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post

What amps are S-150 owners using?

I've got 3 s-150's and 2 ss-150's. I'm using an arcam avr350 to drive them. I'm considering selling my 350 and getting an arcam avp700 and emotiva xpa2. I'm not unhappy with the 350 but the upgrade would be a lateral move economically. Does anyone think I would really benefit from the extra juice? For a 4 ohmn speaker the s-150's are very effecient and don't seem to need a ton of juice to drive them because of the sub sat design.

I used to use Parasound amps but when I redid my theater, I switched to Crown Pro Amps. My S-150 mains are powered by 402D at 450 watts per channel and my SS-150 sides and backs are driven by 202Ds at 250 watts per channel. I sold my MX5000 and built two 320 liter TC sounds subwoofers tuned to 11.5 Hz driven by a Crown CE4000 at 3200 watts mono. Its all about headroom.
post #906 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm using a Theta Dreadnaught II for my S150's and SS150's. 450w @ 4ohms. Best amp I've had for these speakers to date.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #907 of 3680 Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

The M&K 150's can be driven up to THX reference level and left there all day without ANY sign of strain......................but, as Video has said, when something comes in that requires a lot of power to reproduce at that reference level, you better have the power there to be able to handle it and being that these speakers are nominally rated at 4 ohms, it means that they can dip to well below that, so a rugged power supply, as found in very few if any receivers as compared to separate amps, is a worthwhile investment when running these.
post #908 of 3680 Old 05-04-2008, 12:35 AM

as seen here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1025840

Eupitment
Currently I have an Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX (yeah it is about 10 years old )

I have hooked up:
computer (spdif-digital)
ps3 (optical)
xbox (optical)
attbox (stero)
ipod (stero, y cable)

to a Sharp Aquos 4664u

Speakers are the M&K THX 750 system.

Problem:
Just recently, half the time I turn on the receiver, It looks fine, lights up and everything, but I get no sound. This really sucks. Then if i turn it off an turn it back on, it wont work. but If i let it sit for no specific time. It will work great and I am in love again. When it does work it flashes (-4db offset) twice before it all clicks on. This dosn't come up at all when its not working. And this is any type of input. Not really sure what any of the problem would be other than OLD and or HEAT.

Solution:

tell me what settings or blah could fix it. Or recommended me a good replacement with hdmi pass through and dts-hd audio, THX is perfered but unnecessary as it has proven to be an outdated, and money driven certification price range is around 600-1500 5.1 is all thats really needed.
post #909 of 3680 Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM

It looks like your receiver is in a death spiral..... and you should be happy about it! A while back I replaced a VSX-43TX with an Outlaw pre/pro and an ATI 2005 amp. Both made a world of difference with my (at the time) M&K 851s. My ATI puts out 300w at 4 ohms and so has plenty of power for those times when it is needed. A similar amp upgrade will make your 750s shine. As far as the pre/pro it might be a good idea to wait for a few months. I hear most manufacturers are waiting or have just received the chip they are going to use for decoding the new audio formats and need some time before getting into production.
post #910 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post

A couple of Parasounds for me also - A21 (2 channel) and an A51 (5 channel)... 400w per channel into 4 ohms.

Steve,

How do those amps hold up with your 150's? At one point, I wanted to get the A21 and get the in-wall versions of the 150's for the rear speakers to go from 5.1 to 7.1. All of my 150's are powered, but I really wanted to get those in-wall 150's before M&K went out of business and run them with the A21.

Edit: The speakers I'm refering to are the SW-150s. Info can be found here and more pix can be found here.

Chet
post #911 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

Steve,

How do those amps hold up with your 150's?...

They run a little warm, but then again, that's to be expected being a class A/AB design. (They're even quite warm at idle)

I don't have a particularly large room (18' x 13' - opening through to another room), but at reference levels, there isn't the slightest hint of any strain on the amps whatsoever... and I suspect there's also plenty left in reserve.

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say that they are very well-built amps, with plenty of power and produce an uncolored sound. They perform very well with the M&K's and I'd certainly recommend them.
post #912 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Most speakers and many amps have a sonic signature, that is, they can have a tendency to sound "hard" or "soft". And if these sonic signatures are prominant, you don't want to create a situation that magnifies these signatures by mating equipment with the same tendencies.

The M&K's have had a reputation for being a bit "hard" and the Parasounds have a reputation for being a bit "soft". A pretty nice match, if you ask me.
post #913 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I ran M&K's(the s-150, s-250, and S-5000THX, and their other s-series and 750 series) with many different types of amps. Too many too list. I will give it a go anyway.
Ada ptm-650, ada ptm-6150, cinepro 3k6, Behringer ep-2500, crown 402, cinenova grande, adcom 565 mono's, Mcintosh MC-7106, Sherbourn 7/2100, Gemstone blue diamond, Cinepro 2k(2 channel), ada ptm-1260, monarchy audio mono's(class a), krell kav-150(2 channel), ada MPA-501. I might have missed some.
M&K speakers get more neutral every step up you take. My experience anyway.
post #914 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

M&K speakers get more neutral every step up you take. My experience anyway.

Every step up, in what? Price? Is McIntosh a step up from Krell. Is Classe a step up from Krell. Or is Accuphase better than Levinson better than Conrad-Johnson?

You do reach a point of diminishing returns here. Many would say that at a particular price point, one cannot tell the difference between how different amplifiers sound, while there are still others who would say that many times, different amplifiers have different sonic signatures.

But I am a bit confused when you say that the M&K's sound more neutral with every step you take "up", "up" being the confusing word here. If what you are implying is that they become more neutral when you step up from an AVR with a limited power supply to good separates that are rated to drive 4 ohm loads, than yes, I would say that they would sound better. But from there, the step's "up" can become quite subjective and where one would think that one amp would be a step up, another would say that that same amp may be a step down.

My take? Again, many amplifiers and speakers have a reputation for sounding a certain way, and those opinions are shared by many others.

Two examples: Many are of the opinion that M&K can be a bit harsh. Many are of the opinion that Parasounds and McIntosh amps can sound a bit lush and mellow. When it comes to mating good separates with good speakers, I believe that it is the sonic signatures of each that needs to be considered. To me, a step "up" is a bit too ambiguous.
post #915 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM

I've been a long time fan of M&K and happy to finf this forum.
Planning to upgrade my current system.
So far I purchased the CTR750 THX Center Speaker.
Now I'm hoping for some advice on which speakers I should get for the front and back.
Was considering using my old Satellite-1's (still sound great) as part of the system.
One more question: Has anyone had experience buying M&K speakers from Dakmart?
post #916 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chiapest -
I have not purchased M&K speakers from Dakmart, but purchased a Denon receiver off E-bay from Dakmart. It arrived damaged, and Dakmart was very slow at responding to me. I got the impression that they knew it was damaged, or did this often. Fortunately they are an authorized dealer so I was able to take it to get fixed for free, but it was a hassle. I certainly wouldn't purchase M&K in case it arrived damaged.
post #917 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was stating that I have owned many amps and many M&K speakers. Steping up just with speakers using the same amp. Saying all M&K speakers sound a bit harsh is vague because all M&K speakers do not sound the same. If they did, why not buy their cheapest ones? Mcintosh and krell are different brands, all M&K speakers are M&K. Same brand.
Sorry if I confused you. I agree with you that different combo's of amps and speakers will create different sonic signatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien View Post

Every step up, in what? Price? Is McIntosh a step up from Krell. Is Classe a step up from Krell. Or is Accuphase better than Levinson better than Conrad-Johnson?

You do reach a point of diminishing returns here. Many would say that at a particular price point, one cannot tell the difference between how different amplifiers sound, while there are still others who would say that many times, different amplifiers have different sonic signatures.

But I am a bit confused when you say that the M&K's sound more neutral with every step you take "up", "up" being the confusing word here. If what you are implying is that they become more neutral when you step up from an AVR with a limited power supply to good separates that are rated to drive 4 ohm loads, than yes, I would say that they would sound better. But from there, the step's "up" can become quite subjective and where one would think that one amp would be a step up, another would say that that same amp may be a step down.

My take? Again, many amplifiers and speakers have a reputation for sounding a certain way, and those opinions are shared by many others.

Two examples: Many are of the opinion that M&K can be a bit harsh. Many are of the opinion that Parasounds and McIntosh amps can sound a bit lush and mellow. When it comes to mating good separates with good speakers, I believe that it is the sonic signatures of each that needs to be considered. To me, a step "up" is a bit too ambiguous.

post #918 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh, I do not think parasound and Mcintosh have similar signatures.
post #919 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh ok. I misunderstood. I thought that you meant stepping up in amplifiers, not speakers. Sorry.

Regarding Parasound and McIntosh, from everything that I have read in magazine reviews as well as owners reviews here and in other forums, it has been stated that both the Parasound and the McIntosh amplifiers tend to be a bit on the soft side as compared to say a Bryston, Krell or many other amps out there and that is the sonic signature that I am talking about. There are other things like stage depth, imaging, etc etc etc, that I have no doubt, differ quite a bit.

But I must qualify that this is all second hand information for me, as I have not had the opportunity to own as many different amplifiers as you have.
post #920 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have owned Krell, mcintosh, and parasound. I would say with neutral M&K speakers they all sound a little different(S-250 and S-5000THX). These are all the entry level except the parasound(2205 5 channel). The krell had great treble but lacked a bit in the midrange(compared to the Mcintosh). The parasound was neutral, the Mcintosh had an awesome midrange. It just did sound more full(meaning it filled the air with more sound). None of them did sound bright, just different. The 750THX system with the krell would be harsh, and only harsh at high levels, reference levels. I do listen at reference levels. This is where I hear most differences. They are subtle, but there nonetheless.
post #921 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would not know what amps would be considered a step up. I guess the ones that match best with the speaker would be the step up(no matter the price). My personal favorite with the M&K S-5000THX speaker would be the Ada MPA-501, then the Gemstone. BTW, that adcom monoblock was very nice and if rack mountable would be another top choice.
post #922 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM

given a more budgeted setup, what would you suggest out of this group for these speakers

Marantz sr7002, Pio vsx-92, and the Dennon 2808/998

?
post #923 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Which speakers?
post #924 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post

given a more budgeted setup, what would you suggest out of this group for these speakers

Marantz sr7002, Pio vsx-92, and the Dennon 2808/998

?

I'm in the same boat with you. I also have the 750's which I love. I am currently looking at the 7002 and NAD T775 (I have an Marantz SR-19 now). It seems like the 7002/8002's have some issues with Room Eq / occasional popping (very rare it seems tho), and the like... which is making me hesitate to pull the trigger... Other AVRs have their issues too... I like the NAD for their modular design... haven't auditioned one yet

Anyhow, see this thread if you haven't yet (for the 7002): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=901489

Also have thought of replacing my 750's with something else, but they are sooooo good it is hard to let go!
post #925 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Which speakers?

750 setup..

Left, Right, Center
M&K LCR-750thx
Rear
M&K LCR-550thx
Sub:
VX1250SFX THX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetkus View Post

Also have thought of replacing my 750's with something else, but they are sooooo good it is hard to let go!

I am going to keep them till they blow out or some one offers a good price. Such great quality, been strong for 10 years, Look amazing, and very scaleable room sizes. They will get really really loud but sound great turned down at 12ft or so. And they were given to me..
post #926 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post

750 setup..

I am going to keep them till they blow out or some one offers a good price. Such great quality, been strong for 10 years, Look amazing, and very scaleable room sizes. They will get really really loud but sound great turned down at 12ft or so. And they were given to me..

I agree... they can get loud and sound great loud or low IMO.

Also I forgot to mention that I love the sound of my Marantz SR-19 too, so (in my opinion) Marantz is definitely worth auditioning, especially if you can get an in home demo unit from a dealer.
post #927 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetkus View Post

home demo unit from a dealer.

I didn't even know you could do that..

the dennon is looking good price wise, the Martaz is looking good features wise.. 4 hdmi inputs 2 hdmi out?.. yes please
post #928 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM

I just saw you post in the Marantz 7002 thread, hehe.

Yeah, some dealers will to this with a deposit(credit card). Two smaller, private, high end dealers do this in my area that I know of, maybe more. It's really the only way to go if you want to know what the product will do in your room IMO.
post #929 of 3680 Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Marantz is very good. Integra matches well with the 750's as well.
post #930 of 3680 Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anybody know where I can get a good pair of SW-150's in the US?

Chet
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page