Triad to M&Ks rescue????? hint, hint, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3674 Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, very bad news. I just spoke with Barry last week about placing an order to outfit several video edit suites with their sound. I guess that's not going to happen now. What a major bummer.
post #93 of 3674 Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I've sent an e-mail to Ken (the K in M&K, as if you didn't know) inquiring about the possibility of buying the Company. I'm not sure how this will turn out, but if there is a way to salvage the Company, I'd be interested. This is of course exploratory at this point as I have no information on the company's financial position, but I am interested.

(and Yes, oddly enough I am the guy selling a system of S-150's on the AVS for sale thread, but I own other M&K speakers as well.)

Jim
post #94 of 3674 Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball View Post

videoaddikt, I wouldn't worry about getting new speakers. I have some fairly ancient M&K's and took them to demo an amp, I listened to some pretty expensive new speakers and they were very close. Unless you're unhappy with your sound, I'd say stay put. On two different occasions I've thought I could do better, but after listening to what's out there I realized I'd have to pay more than I want to upgrade.

They sound good. I picked up a demo set (piano black) at Magnolia A/V about 5 years ago. I did a lot of comparing in the price range, and was sold on them.
Of course, others have improved but the ceiling of max improvement within a price range is reached rather quickly.
post #95 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post

Triad to M&Ks rescue????? hint, hint, Paul

We talked about it for months. We decided not to persue it.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #96 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

We decided not to persue it.

Well, who's looking at them now, or are they that hopelessly messed-up?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #97 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

Well, who's looking at them now, or are they that hopelessly messed-up?

I have no idea, and I have heard no speculation. It's a damn shame, but let's hope a company steps up.

I have a lot to say that I can't say.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #98 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a lot to say that I can't say.

Come on Paul, give us something, anything that you can.
post #99 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If they actually ceased operations, closed the doors, can't find a buyer, and told everyone to go home, I guess it's that hopeless.....maybe debt?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #100 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I've sold mk products for almost 5 years. They have been a handful to deal with the last two, its no surprise really at all.
post #101 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
"They have been a handful to deal with the last two, its no surprise really at all."

It is to me.I visited M&K about a month after they moved to their new location.While dropping off my sub for a refurb,Gary was polite enough to give me the grand tour.
He even mentioned the screenings they were going to have in their new HT room once it was completed.
I'm saddened by their closure.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #102 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm saddened by it also but a company that isn't able to deliver product on time often or in quanities desired is going to have a tough time keeping the doors open eventually. I had quite a few customer and dealer calls from all over the country trying to get stands, brackets, peices etc. I had a few conversations with customers (in various states) that had ordered stands or speakers and have waited over a year with no product from a legitimate authorized dealer.

Tough business i guess!
post #103 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like there was a demand for the product but for some unknown reason over the years M&K could never meet that demand.
post #104 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...... but for some unknown reason over the years M&K could never meet that demand.

It's called "improper management." (Really a shame for M&K's workers.)

Jim
post #105 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 PM

I have been a ROM (Read Only Member) for a no. of month in this forum.

I am shocked and surprised on the sudden closure news of M&K's Chatsworth factory.

Does any brother know how many "official" factory or production plant do M&K operate in the past ?

One and only one at Chatsworth or they do have other plants in other part of the world ?

Whether the claimed production plant in China is authorised or illegal ?

I believe the stringent quality control procedures on inspection of parts (e.g. drivers, tweeters, woofers, electronics, etc) and finished speakers/subwoofers by a small team (several experienced technicians) in their QC department will be a bottle neck leading to slow & poor delivery when comparing to the demand all over the world.

post #106 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

While it's always sad, I just don't see the point in resurrecting M&K. Their stuff is *so* old. Much of it is 10-15 years old. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but not terribly competitive. Triad is kind of what M&K would be if it had kept up. It reminds me of how AR just did a tumble. There are too many speaker brands popping up, many ID. Something has to give. I'm surprised as many brands hang in there as well as they do. The future of speakers belong to bigger companies that build speakers in large quantities at very low prices. And digital active design and chinese manufacture is only going to make that worse. I think a big shakeout in the high-end is coming too. Fewer and fewer dealers. Companies tell me I'm like seeing a Dodo bird because my type of dealer is dying off, yet we keep growing and growing by just following the trends and keeping up. I guess too many people lose their edge, be it dealers or manufacturers.

John
post #107 of 3674 Old 02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW, this is sad, They had a great product with a great warranty & the customer service was exceptional. I called them at 7pm on a friday night & one of the top guys had the call go to his CELL phone. It was a great experience.
post #108 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 01:37 AM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
I just want to comment on all these so-called "supply problems" that I keep seeing mentioned and have heard about with M&K now for years. I have NO inside info here and this is pure (but I think well-founded) speculation. When a company experiences "supply problems" for as long as M&K did, what that likely really means is "cash flow" problems. In other words, they continually cash poor and/or on credit hold with their suppliers which caused the "supply problems".

While there are exceptions, and companies can certainly lose money due to supply problems, there are very few businesses who actually go out of business or are seriously damaged because of supply problems - it's usually other factors that are the primary cause.

I remember when M&K was constantly on the front of magazines and the two top sub manufacturers were Velodyne and M&K. M&K's sats were considered the ideal high output monitors for a mixing stage or theater room. Seems like a long time ago.
post #109 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

They sound good. I picked up a demo set (piano black) at Magnolia A/V about 5 years ago.

And a quote from the M & K shut down "notice"....

Quote:

Beware of the MP-150 in the painted high-gloss finish. No legitimate MP-150s have been produced in this finish. M&K built MP-150s have cabinets painted in the standard M&K textured matte finish used on the S-150.

Looks like maybe Magnolia was involved (most likely un-aware) in some of the counterfeit stuff....

John W.
Indy
post #110 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

And a quote from the M & K shut down "notice"....

Looks like maybe Magnolia was involved (most likely un-aware) in some of the counterfeit stuff....

Videoaddikt said he had bought the MK 750s, they were at one time produced in black gloss at the time he bought them around 5 years ago. This isn't what the M&K website is warning about.
post #111 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattburk View Post

WOW, this is sad, They had a great product with a great warranty & the customer service was exceptional. I called them at 7pm on a friday night & one of the top guys had the call go to his CELL phone. It was a great experience.

Exactly. I bought a pair of SS-150s from another owner several years ago, and they still are in my home theater. Even though I was not the original owner I was always treated as if I was by M&K. In this day and age of mass maket home theater systems in big box stores sold by spiff motivated salespeople they are / were a welcome choice and a breath of fresh air.

Whatever happens with the company and brand I hope these people at M&K stay in the industry and find their way to positions where they can continue to practice customer service the right way.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #112 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I just bought a V75 sub from them about two weeks ago after some enjoyable emails with Barry Ober. Two of the pins attaching the grille arrived broken, so I guess I am not getting the replacement grille that they said they'd said

I love the sub, though. I've had an earlier model of the V75 since 2003 and it's worked perfectly since purchase.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #113 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd share this, I was reading through the March issue of Home Theater Mag and they have a interview with the sound mixers of the Lost TV show.

Quote:

WHAT SORT OF SPEAKERS ARE YOU LISTENING THROUGH WHEN YOU MAKE ALL OF THESE MIXING DECISIONS? SOME HOME THEATER READERS MIGHT WANT TO DUPLICATE YOUR SYSTEM SO THEY CAN HEAR EXACTLY WHAT YOU HEARD WHEN YOU DID THE MIX.

We have a big JBL THX theatrical monitoring system in our studio, but, for the most part we use a home theater-type 5.1 system with THX-approved M&K MPS-150 speakers and the MPS-350 subwoofer. It's the same Skywalker, Sony, Warner, and, of course, Disney use. We monitor our stereo mix on Genelec 1029A speakers.

Seems the professional sound mixers don't have a problem with M&K Speakers as some have said that their speakers are "old" and "outdated". I think if a design is solid there isn't any reason to reinvent the wheel.
post #114 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, but once a product is sold, it has ceased making the company money. To sell more of them, it has to be competitive. The speakers being used for Lost might be 5+ years old and work fine and the engineers are accustomed to them and "don't have a problem" with them. But that doesn't mean they're selling enough to survive because most people don't buy speakers based on "don't have a problem with them".

If people stopped buying from me for a few months, I'd run out of cash reserves quickly and go out of business, just like most any business. If Wal-Mart's sales dropped 25% for a sufficiently long time, they'd probably go out of business. That's why making competitive, sellable product is critical to a company's survival.

John
post #115 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

John, I do understand your point...this has been said before, but I think some of M&Ks major problems were not being able to keep up production for the demand of their product(s) and no marketing what so ever.
post #116 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Videoaddikt said he had bought the MK 750s, they were at one time produced in black gloss at the time he bought them around 5 years ago. This isn't what the M&K website is warning about.

Thanks for the clarification. Saved me the trouble.
post #117 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

John, I do understand your point...this has been said before, but I think some of M&Ks major problems were not being able to keep up production for the demand of their product(s) and no marketing what so ever.

Well, I hate to be skeptical, but *I* have been in similar situations before with other companies (or even myself!) and the problem is never too much demand, it's always lack of money to build stuff or suppliers that are reluctant to provide parts because of owed money combined with lack of money for marketing. IOW, not being able to supply product isn't because the demand has increased.

I just had one of those tempests were we actually did have "too much demand" for a little while and I managed to survive My head was spinning as I tried to keep everything in stock and supplied so we could finish and get paid, but we did it. I'm pretty sure that M&K didn't suddenly have a such a huge spike in demand after that many years in business that it caused them to shut down. It's just a bit of spin, in reality. They're not the only ones. Meadowlark had to shut down, Dunlavy and other highly respected brands.

The real problem is that the diversity is being lost. What is being sold today? Inwalls. Lots of em. Plasma/LCDs suck up a HUGE amount of the "oxygen". Showrooms are dying. Installers just install what makes them the most money - cheaply built appliances. High-end shops race for the top of the mountain with "prestige" brands like B&W, Wilson, Krell, Focal, etc to squeeze more and more money from a smaller amount of people. That leaves many mid level or entry high-end brands who don't do custom, but are neither exotic nor mass market finding the $$$ sucked right out from underneath them. I feel bad for all involved, but if too much demand were the problem, they'd be able to make it work. The real problem is, in fact, the opposite.

John
post #118 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in the market for some used speakers. I was entertaining M&K, which I have owned in the past and enjoyed. Would you not purchase them, knowing the company is out of business?
post #119 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thought I'd share this, I was reading through the March issue of Home Theater Mag and they have a interview with the sound mixers of the Lost TV show.

Seems the professional sound mixers don't have a problem with M&K Speakers as some have said that their speakers are "old" and "outdated". I think if a design is solid there isn't any reason to reinvent the wheel.

I agree, and if you do some careful research many 'new' prodcuts on the market are really paint-overs, etc. This does not mean some of these older designs still do not perform per today's standard, but they required a 'kick' to entice more consumer interest.
There are some very solid examples that have been around for decades, and while no longer meet the compactness or space-age look of newer speakers, still perform beautifully to the trained ear.

The biggest advances in loudspeakers IMO, are in packaging to incorporate the good sound in a smaller box. But as the saying goes, you can't get 10 lbs of 'crap' in a 5 lb box without some compromise. And the 'high end' mfrs. still have the big towers for those who are not willing to make that compromise.
post #120 of 3674 Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

I am in the market for some used speakers. I was entertaining M&K, which I have owned in the past and enjoyed. Would you not purchase them, knowing the company is out of business?

For a decent price, I don't see how that is much different than buying used. And with speakers they work or they don't. For the most part.
No one bought M&Ks (as far as I know) for how they look.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page