post #2401 of 3679 Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by red one View Post

I'm so jealous of the stuff you guys can get in the US and now you can pick up M&K stuff for free. [if your up to building speakers]

Over here in Australia we pay a fortune for any M&K stuff and what turns up on fleabay costs almost what the OP paid for it!

There were those that had big GMC SUVs that just crammed enough M&K stuff to make thousands of dollars having no real cost to start only to return again for another cramming session, I was happy with just 7 subwoofer cabinets or so I thought. Sure I could have rented a U-haul truck, do I wish that I had gone back for more, hell yeah! It only happens once in your lifetime, so make it count!

Regards,
Techlord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 AM

As the title states, I'm looking for a set of M&K SW-150 In-Wall speakers for a Left, Center, Right setup.

If ANYONE is wanting to sell a set or knows of someone who is selling a set, PLEASE let me know.

I was going to go with the Atlantic Technology System 30 L,C,Rs but just can't escape the M&K draw to their old school systems.

BTW, I know MKSound has taken over M&K, and will offer a new version of the 150 in-wall speaker, but I would prefer to wait until I found an original M&K set. (go ahead, let the flame wars begin....)

WANTED: (1) M&K MP-150  IN-WALL speaker. (Preferably in Black color)

post #2403 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster0 View Post

As the title states, I'm looking for a set of M&K SW-150 In-Wall speakers for a Left, Center, Right setup.

If ANYONE is wanting to sell a set or knows of someone who is selling a set, PLEASE let me know.

I was going to go with the Atlantic Technology System 30 L,C,Rs but just can't escape the M&K draw to their old school systems.

BTW, I know MKSound has taken over M&K, and will offer a new version of the 150 in-wall speaker, but I would prefer to wait until I found an original M&K set. (go ahead, let the flame wars begin....)

The engineering team that developed the designs for M&K speakers are still employed, just owned by a different company. A lot of the people that worked for M&K still have a job, so things are going to be improved upon in the same way it would have if M&K did survive. The old school systems of the past are in the systems today, just improved speakers is all. People fail to realise this, here's the newer MK re-release of the S-150THX Professional systems pre-review.

Regards,
Techlord.
post #2404 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlord View Post

The engineering team that developed the designs for M&K speakers are still employed, just owned by a different company. A lot of the people that worked for M&K still have a job, so things are going to be improved upon in the same way it would have if M&K did survive. The old school systems of the past are in the systems today, just improved speakers is all. People fail to realise this, here's the newer MK re-release of the S-150THX Professional systems pre-review.

Regards,
Techlord.

I thought Chris Hagan the head engineer went to another competitor. I know Ken Kreisel is no longer there. So which engineers that developed the designs for M&K speakers are still employed by the new MK Sound. I thought the ones from the original M&K are Asger (the new owner)who was an international distributor and Chris Minto who was and still is responsible for Pro end sales
post #2405 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryle View Post

I thought Chris Hagan the head engineer's went to another competitor. I know Ken Kreisel is no longer there. So which engineers that developed the designs for M&K speakers are still employed by the new MK Sound. I thought the ones from the original M&K are Asger (the new owner)who was an international distributor and Chris Minto who was and still is responsible for Pro end sales

I was told by an inside source at MK Sound UK that the same engineer's had worked on the new LCR-950THX speaker system and were also responsible for the re-release of the S-150THX speakers including the new Bash amp technology, with the results of both the new 950 and re-release of the S-150 I'd have to believe them wholeheartedly. The new professional transmission-line tweeters are golden! Have you heard the new 950 speakers? Damn good sound and that's coming from an owner of the LCR-750THX speakers for almost ten years and are all boxed up and are on eBay!

Regards,
Techlord.
post #2406 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I was told by an inside source at MK Sound UK that the same engineer's had worked on the new LCR-950THX speaker system and were also responsible for the re-release of the S-150THX speakers including the new Bash amp technology, with the results of both the new 950 and re-release of the S-150 I'd have to believe them wholeheartedly. The new professional transmission-line tweeters are golden! Have you heard the new 950 speakers? Damn good sound and that's coming from an owner of the LCR-750THX speakers for almost ten years and are all boxed up and are on eBay!

Regards,
Techlord.

C. Hagen was involved in the initial, very early stage, design of some of the new MK Sound speakers before he moved on, but that's all there is. I think Barry is correct and none of the main technical players from the original M&K are with the new MK Sound.
post #2407 of 3679 Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:

The engineering team that developed the designs for M&K speakers are still employed, just owned by a different company.

Actually, this is completely false. Not a single engineer from the original M&K is employed by the new company. The original M&K manufactured most of their products in Southern California and ALL were designed there... The engineering staff all resided somewhat local to the facilities.

Chris Hagan, the last engineer left at the original MK Sound before they shut down, might have worked a little on some of the designs for the new MKSOUND. However, from my last communication with him, which was, admittedly, quite some time ago - he had nothing to do with the new MKSound.

I too am curious as to who is designing the new products. The "original" engineering staff -- at least those that I still keep in touch with, certainly don't know.

Quote:

A lot of the people that worked for M&K still have a job, .

The only original MK Sound employee that I know of that is employed by the new MK Sound is Chris Minto. Asger (the new owner) was never employed by the original M&K -- he was a distributor and certainly not involved in product development back then.

Quote:

The old school systems of the past are in the systems today, just improved speakers is all. People fail to realise this, here's the newer MK re-release of the S-150THX Professional systems pre-review.

I honestly do not know if the new MK Sound are using the original custom tweeters from Vifa, woofers from Peerless and subwoofer drivers from Eminence --- it is certainly possible.

I will say that one key element that is missing, and what is arguably the most important element is, of course, Ken Kreisel himself. Ken truly had "golden ears" -- I was always amazed at what he was able to hear and I can personally attest to this. Easily some of the best "ears" in the business. Ken critically listened to every loudspeaker that the original M&K released -- if it didn't have Ken's approval, it never became a product. Ken would often tweak the crossovers himself if something didn't sound right to him.

For you old-timers, there was also Misha Pak... Misha was a revered Russian musician who personally listened to every M&K speaker and subwoofer that left the factory. He would often detect things that even the advanced measurement systems could not...

I have nothing against the new MK Sound, the name is a huge sense of pride for me, but it is very important that the information being presented to the public be accurate. The new products and re-issued products might indeed be similar with regard to the components and performance, but the engineering behind them and the company itself have nothing in common with the original company, other than the name.

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #2408 of 3679 Old 04-28-2010, 02:50 PM

Has anyone heard of the CR-500 satellites and CR-503 tri-pole speakers? I haven't been able to find anything about them and I'm looking for specs and original pricing.
post #2409 of 3679 Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM

OK Guys, I need some speaker advice here. I am thinking of setting up my "front stage" with M&K S-150s (L, C,R) The problem that I am encountering is the depth of the speakers reative to the distance behind my AT Screen. I cannot build a false wall to mout the screen in from of the speahers so....

I'd like to know:

Is going with the M&K SW-150 (in-wall) a better choice in order to save on depth?

Or, should I build an "aclove" into the wall, so I can partially inset the (L, C, R) S-150 satellite speakers, thus reducing the overall depth of the cabinet off the screen wall?

Would the "insetting option" create problems with reflection, since the face of S-150 is now closer to the back wall?

(I've heard people talk about how sound "wraps" arounf the speaker box, and that's why you need to put them on stands, away from the back walls)

If this IS the case, then why wouldn't this "wrapping" phenomenon also occur with the in-wall speakers? They utilize the same drivers as the S-150 satellite speakers, don't they?

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I am still looking for (3) M&K SW-150 speakers!

WANTED: (1) M&K MP-150  IN-WALL speaker. (Preferably in Black color)

post #2410 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster0 View Post

OK Guys, I need some speaker advice here. I am thinking of setting up my "front stage" with M&K S-150s (L, C,R) The problem that I am encountering is the depth of the speakers reative to the distance behind my AT Screen. I cannot build a false wall to mout the screen in from of the speahers so....

I'd like to know:

Is going with the M&K SW-150 (in-wall) a better choice in order to save on depth?

Or, should I build an "aclove" into the wall, so I can partially inset the (L, C, R) S-150 satellite speakers, thus reducing the overall depth of the cabinet off the screen wall?

I have a suggestion, but not knowing exactly what your screen is, it may be totally unusable...

I am assuming that you are using a fixed, wall-mount screen for this install. If that is correct, what about either putting some blocks of the appropriate thickness at the corners of the screen to move it out from the wall, or build a frame that can be mounted to the wall to serve that purpose?

I prefer the block approach, because it may make the screen seem to "float" in front of the wall. I've seen this done in an installation that was highlighted on AVS, but I couldn't find the pictures. In that case, I think they put lights behind the screen to illuminate the wal to increase the "floating" effect.

Just an idea...

The SW-150s would work, too but you probably need to enclose them in boxes inside the wall to get the best sound. I'm definitely not an expert on that. But I don't think you want to put the S-150s in an alcove in the wall.

Just my .02 worth.

Rick
post #2411 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13160 View Post

The SW-150s would work, too but you probably need to enclose them in boxes inside the wall to get the best sound. I'm definitely not an expert on that. But I don't think you want to put the S-150s in an alcove in the wall.

Just my .02 worth.

That's correct. The original SW-150s came with foam cut-outs that had 90 degree bends in them. The purpose was to mount them into the wall where the speaker mounts and use the sheetrock and studs to create a makeshift box behind the speaker.

Since I bought my SW-150s from deepsurplus, they did not come with the foam and they do sound a bit hollow, BUT I only use those speakers when the BD is encoded with discrete 6.1 or 7.1 audio and I figure most people won't even notice the hollowness since it's behind our heads. It's very minor anyway.

On that note, I made my own speaker grills because deep surplus didn't have those either. The didn't really turn out as nicely as I had hoped, but I really like the grills shown on the IW-150s that the new MK Sound is selling. I have contacted 3 of the new MK Sound dealers to see if I could order just those parts and none of them have replied yet. So, I think I might just contact The Dolphin Group myself directly and see what happens.

Chet
post #2412 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Your going to need a mid to high-end receiver driving five 4 ohm speakers at the listening levels you are used to, Denon AVR's offer excellent powerful amplifiers that's why they cost a little more. I have been driving 4 ohm speakers with my (M&K LCR 750THX speaker system) Denon AVR-5700 THX Utlra receiver (rated for 140W x 5 channels) for 10 years and have never had a problem at very high listening levels, but my 550THX surrounds are 8 ohms while my front L/C/R speakers being 4 ohms.

Denon AVR's are known for there ability to drive low impedance speakers, at the very least I would look at the Denon AVR-4310CI or higher being recommended! Read lot of reviews and look at the lab tests to see exactly how many watts you are getting with all 5 channels driven into 8 ohms, if the amplifier can't handle the 4 ohm loads it will go into protection mode. It's a lot easier to blow drivers with less under powered amps than with amps that have plenty of reserve power, that's why I recommend the Denon AVR-4810CI for $2,139.95! You will be pushing double the wattage since you are pushing 4 ohm loads, this receiver should handle it with no problems. Rated power is inflated from what you actually get, never trust rated power from a manufacturer as there are many ways to come up with the numbers! Denon's claimed 140 watts x 7 is not a real world measurement, it's far from the truth! Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohms you get 123.5 watts at 0.1 percent distortion, that's what you will get if driving an 8ohm load! You will get more wattage driving a 4ohm load.

Regards,
Techlord.

QUESTION #1 -- i want to get an AVR with 1.4a hdmi for 3D. I saw that denon just announced 10 avr's available at various times in 2010. but i want to move quicker. I am now thinking of getting one of the lower end AVRs coming out sooner (e.g. pioneer vsx-1120k which has preouts) and teaming it with a dedicated 5 channel power amp (eg emotiva xpa-5 with a rating of 350W/ch into the 5 channels). my question for you techlord and anyone else that wants to respond is what you think of this approach?

QUESTION #2 -- when i listen at low volumes (e.g. late at night) is there a difference in sound produced by a low wattage power source (eg the pioneer 1120 on its own with its alleged 120 W/ch into 8 ohms) vs adding the emotiva? i know that the emotiva will let me play music louder w/o distortion but my question is whether massive power makes any difference in sound quality at low listening levels.

Thanks!!
post #2413 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviesLover View Post

QUESTION #1 -- i want to get an AVR with 1.4a hdmi for 3D. I saw that denon just announced 10 avr's available at various times in 2010. but i want to move quicker. I am now thinking of getting one of the lower end AVRs coming out sooner (e.g. pioneer vsx-1120k which has preouts) and teaming it with a dedicated 5 channel power amp (eg emotiva xpa-5 with a rating of 350W/ch into the 5 channels). my question for you techlord and anyone else that wants to respond is what you think of this approach?

QUESTION #2 -- when i listen at low volumes (e.g. late at night) is there a difference in sound produced by a low wattage power source (eg the pioneer 1120 on its own with its alleged 120 W/ch into 8 ohms) vs adding the emotiva? i know that the emotiva will let me play music louder w/o distortion but my question is whether massive power makes any difference in sound quality at low listening levels.

Thanks!!

The thing about the lower end model receivers is they don't use the better sounding DACs that the mid to high-end priced receivers do, this is where the ultimate sound quality lies. If you were not concerned about HDMI 1.4a I would recommend the Denon AVR-4310CI as it's sound quality is pretty close to the high-end, it only runs you a few hundred more than the Pioneer you are considering. My brother added a 5 channel amplifier to his existing speaker system and it seems more alive even at lower volumes, almost like having more bottom end on a sports car. M&K speakers do like lots of extra power from an external power amplifier, I have heard an improvement in the low level detail. The Denon AVR-4310CI offers some real power and is an excellent start if you want to add a 5 channel power amplifier later!

I hope this helps,
Techlord.
post #2414 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Dear Tech Lord,

Thanks for your quick response.

The Denon 4310 has a DAC=24bit/192-kHz Burr-Brown PCM-1791A and an Analog to Digital Convert = 24-bit/192-kHz Burr-Brown PCM-1804.

I have been told tat the Pioneer 1120 will have DAC= Wolfson WM8728 192 kHz/24-bit and ADC = Burr Brown 192 kHz / 24-bit.

So it looks to me like the ADC is the same on both but the Denon uses the Burr-Brown vs the Pioneer's Wolfson. Is the Wolfson DAC a significantly lower quality component?

In terms of the cost difference, the 4310 seems like it is not just a few hundred dollars more, it is more like double the cost of the Pioneer ($600ish vs $1300ish from a non-authorized dealer). Even adding in the cost of the Emotiva Amp, the Denon is more $$. And the Denon has significantly less power than the Emotiva -- 200W/Ch vs 130W/Ch, excuding any use of the Pioneer's amps (which i might use for the rear speakers or for zone 2).

Note too, that i tend to use my AVR mostly for movies and i am impressed that the Pioneer uses Marvell chip for video upscaling of both analog and hdmi inputs (vs the Denon's Anchor Bay VRS). So i would assume that the Pioneer will do at least as good a job at video upscaling of SD TV and Wii signals. Would you agree?

To me, on paper, the Pioneer + Emotiva seems hands down the winner -- 3D capable, more power, less $$, ipod controls included w/o needing a separate cradle. But i take it that your opinion is that the Pioneer + Emotiva external amp is not in the same class soundwise or somehow the Denon on its own.

I can tell from your posts that you know a lot more about sound systems than i do so i welcome your correcting my misguided thinking.

Best,
post #2415 of 3679 Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dear Tech Lord,

Thanks for your quick response.

The Denon 4310 has a DAC=24bit/192-kHz Burr-Brown PCM-1791A and an Analog to Digital Convert = 24-bit/192-kHz Burr-Brown PCM-1804.

I have been told tat the Pioneer 1120 will have DAC= Wolfson WM8728 192 kHz/24-bit and ADC = Burr Brown 192 kHz / 24-bit.

So it looks to me like the ADC is the same on both but the Denon uses the Burr-Brown vs the Pioneer's Wolfson. Is the Wolfson DAC a significantly lower quality component?

In terms of the cost difference, the 4310 seems like it is not just a few hundred dollars more, it is more like double the cost of the Pioneer ($600ish vs $1300ish from a non-authorized dealer). Even adding in the cost of the Emotiva Amp, the Denon is more $$. And the Denon has significantly less power than the Emotiva -- 200W/Ch vs 130W/Ch, excuding any use of the Pioneer's amps (which i might use for the rear speakers or for zone 2).

Note too, that i tend to use my AVR mostly for movies and i am impressed that the Pioneer uses Marvell chip for video upscaling of both analog and hdmi inputs (vs the Denon's Anchor Bay VRS). So i would assume that the Pioneer will do at least as good a job at video upscaling of SD TV and Wii signals. Would you agree?

To me, on paper, the Pioneer + Emotiva seems hands down the winner -- 3D capable, more power, less $$, ipod controls included w/o needing a separate cradle. But i take it that your opinion is that the Pioneer + Emotiva external amp is not in the same class soundwise or somehow the Denon on its own.

I can tell from your posts that you know a lot more about sound systems than i do so i welcome your correcting my misguided thinking.

Best,

One thing you can never trust is manufacturer ratings for amplifier power, the Denon AVR-4310 actually has with five channels driven 113.8 watts at 0.1% distortion and with seven channels driven 104.6 watts at 0.1% distortion. DACs by themselves do not make for good sound, there are many other factors that are responsible for good sound quality, like good circuit pathways using the high quality parts and not using muting transistors or low grade parts. I'll bet you if you were to listen to both of these receivers in a side by side comparison the Denon would win by a longshot hence the price difference, in this case you get what you pay for!

An excellent example of how DACs aloan are not important enough on there own is the Oppo BDP-83SE or Special Edition Blu-ray player, Oppo had released a more basic model before their special edition came out. Oppo Digital couldn't just slap in the newer higher quality DACs, they had to completely start over on the analog circuitry or circuit board design. They needed an upgraded power supply with improved power supply regulation, they also had to rework the signal paths and use the correct components along those circuit pathways doing away with muting circuits. I could go on forever and I can tell you that designing circuit pathways and integrating new DACs is purely a work of art! It really is!

A list of reviewed receivers > Here and here.

Regards,
Techlord.
post #2416 of 3679 Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 AM

If you're lookin to spend around $600 the emotiva umc-1 is a no brainer. You would need to wait a little while longer for availability and revised FW to work out some bugs. I would be willing to wager its SQ will outperform everything else in its price class.

I don't think you ever mentioned what your speakers are or room size? How much for movies vs music?

An emotiva amp is going to be a lot better amplification than the pieces you've been mentioning.

You could always go with a better receiver in the $1,000 price range used or new and a xpa-3. The receiver could power your surrounds. A pioneer sc-25/27, marantz sr6004, or something from Denon/Yamaha. The point is you want a quality pre-amp stage because that is where your SQ comes into play. Dac's are important but I wouldn't get to caught up into which piece has the absolute best DAC.

I'll just throw this out there. I've got an arcam avr350 with an xpa-3 and it sounds great. You can pick up a used arcam avp700 cheap now and pair it with an xpa-5. I would put its SQ up against all above mentioned solutions for movies. DTS HD core over coax at 1.5 mbps sounds pretty great. I'm not convinced DTS-HD is much of an improvement unless you've got the gear and room to hear the improvement. IMHO it is much better for music. Not really close. You can always go analog from a quality player for HD audio although HDMI is probably the preferd method by most.

Then again, if hdmi 1.4 and 3-D are your major priority your solutions start to dwindle. You know what is out there in your price range and you're an early adopter.
post #2417 of 3679 Old 05-03-2010, 03:58 AM

Anybody have any luck touching up scratches on one of these? I love her but after numerous moves the the sides have some marks and scratches that I would love to touch up. Any special kind of paint I should look to use? I may just get a flat black and spray the entire side so it looks even.
post #2418 of 3679 Old 05-03-2010, 09:18 AM

I don't know much you need to touch up.

M&K always used paint pens to touch up scratches.

I got a black paint pen from Joann's and it did the trick. You might try some other craft stores lke Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Maybe a local pro artist shop.
post #2419 of 3679 Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 AM

if i took an old S-90 (one woofer, one tweeter) and added drivers on the sides to make it a tripole, may i assume that the impedance would drop to 2 ohms? but if i then wired the four drivers in series, would that trick the ohm level into rising back to 4 ohm?
because that's exactly what ken kreisel suggested to me years ago. he had me work it out with his guy in the repair department-i belive his name was loyd (or was it boyd?)-but i've since forgot how to do it...

anyone here have tech suggestions, other than the obvious choice of " just get a set of SS-150's fer' chissakes!?" maybe it's an query for the ex-M&K employees here. cris h. and barry, you guys still hanging out here on the forum?
post #2420 of 3679 Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Hey fellow M&K owners. I am a long time owner and currently have a M&K 5000 setup.

I was looking at maybe redoing the the cloth on the grills as I am the second owner and they have a little wear.

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject? Did M&K use anything special on their cloths then something you could order online?

Stephen
post #2421 of 3679 Old 05-09-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logain2000 View Post

Hey fellow M&K owners. I am a long time owner and currently have a M&K 5000 setup.

I was looking at maybe redoing the the cloth on the grills as I am the second owner and they have a little wear.

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject? Did M&K use anything special on their cloths then something you could order online?

Sure, here are a few links to buying speaker grill cloth, the stuff at Amazon is high quality grill cloth at $7.25! >

http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Grill-.../dp/B0002ZPLM0

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/11speakergrills.htm

Regards,
Techlord.
post #2422 of 3679 Old 05-10-2010, 06:20 AM

Greetings,
Was wondering what M&K Center Channel you woul recommend for pairing up with an old set of S1-B's? Would an S125-C work or is that a bad Timbre Match as i believe they have a different tweeter?
post #2423 of 3679 Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Hi Guys,

I was roaming on e-bay Sunday night and saw a Mint pair of Black M&K SS-150 THX Tripole surrounds up for bid. Watched as the bidding closed and can you believe, the bidding went from $561.00 to $1325.00 in the last 20 SECONDS. I almost put in a bid of $650.00, what a joke that would have been.

Great to see M&K holding their value. This is the fastest I have see the bidding on an item take off in the last few seconds.

Matt
post #2424 of 3679 Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt300 View Post

Hi Guys,

I was roaming on e-bay Sunday night and saw a Mint pair of Black M&K SS-150 THX Tripole surrounds up for bid. Watched as the bidding closed and can you believe, the bidding went from $561.00 to $1325.00 in the last 20 SECONDS. I almost put in a bid of $650.00, what a joke that would have been.

Great to see M&K holding their value. This is the fastest I have see the bidding on an item take off in the last few seconds.

Matt

Wow, not surprised though. I have just found out that the drivers, tweeters and woofers are assembled in China. I am wanting to but a few 12" MK 4 ohm woofers and MK Sound told me they were waiting on a shipment from China, but hay I'm not complaining because I love my MK Sound LCR-950THX Select 2 speaker system! The most famous of all time BD player is made in China, the Oppo BDP-83SE which I own also!
post #2425 of 3679 Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM

I currently have a 5.2 setup and am considering adding 2 more M&K speakers to the setup when i get my new AVR. right now i have 2 fronts, center and then the back 2 are in the side walls on either side of my sofa a few feet above and behind the listening area. i could either add 2 speakers in the ceiling above the sofa (10-14' high ceiling) or in the wall behind the sofa at ear height.

which do folks think will add more to movie enjoyment? (any other placement thoughts?)

thanks,
post #2426 of 3679 Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I currently have a 5.2 setup and am considering adding 2 more M&K speakers to the setup when i get my new AVR. right now i have 2 fronts, center and then the back 2 are in the side walls on either side of my sofa a few feet above and behind the listening area. i could either add 2 speakers in the ceiling above the sofa (10-14' high ceiling) or in the wall behind the sofa at ear height.

which do folks think will add more to movie enjoyment? (any other placement thoughts?)

thanks,

I'm assuming you have height channels, correct? If my room was better suited for 7.1 I would go that route with maybe adding height speakers. The perfect setup would be 7.1 with height speakers if you room is large enough.

I hope this helps, Techlord.
post #2427 of 3679 Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I'm assuming you have height channels, correct? If my room was better suited for 7.1 I would go that route with maybe adding height speakers. The perfect setup would be 7.1 with height speakers if you room is large enough.

I hope this helps, Techlord.

no, i dont have height speakers. it is a classic dolby setup for the 5.2 with right and left front speakers, center speaker and right/left side surround speakers (placed per dolby recommendation to the sides and a bit behind and a little above ear level.

i looked at the dolby recommendation for the 7.2 setup and they suggest that the additional 2 speakers should be be R/L back surround speakers placed behind the seating level.

are you suggesting something different? eg speakers in the ceiling?
post #2428 of 3679 Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no, i dont have height speakers. it is a classic dolby setup for the 5.2 with right and left front speakers, center speaker and right/left side surround speakers (placed per dolby recommendation to the sides and a bit behind and a little above ear level.

i looked at the dolby recommendation for the 7.2 setup and they suggest that the additional 2 speakers should be be R/L back surround speakers placed behind the seating level.

are you suggesting something different? eg speakers in the ceiling?

Alright you mean 5.1/7.1, I have never heard of 5.2 or 7.2 in my life. If all you have is five speakers then you have a 5.0 speaker system, you never mentioned that you have a subwoofer and if you did the subwoofer is the .1 since it only produces bass frequenies. If you don't have a subwoofer then your missing a Lot!
post #2429 of 3679 Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Alright you mean 5.1/7.1, I have never heard of 5.2 or 7.2 in my life. If all you have is five speakers then you have a 5.0 speaker system, you never mentioned that you have a subwoofer and if you did the subwoofer is the .1 since it only produces bass frequenies. If you don't have a subwoofer then your missing a Lot!

Some folks use the.2 to demonstrate they have 2 subwoofers. You most likely won’t find this term used on Dolby’s or DTS’s websites.

As for 9.1, I don’t see the point. It was not long ago since I moved from and old 5.1 receiver (13 years old) to the newer 7.1 HD audio formats only to be disappointed. I was not disappointed by the sound quality of the new HD formats. I was disappointed on the lack of 7.1 content. Folks have been adding 2 back surrounds for over 10 years. I thought for sure 7.1 would be much bigger by now, at least on newer movies/releases. I know I can still use my back channels, but in many cases, the sound they produce is just my processor adding content that is not part of the recording. I am not sure this really bothers me, however, I often feel that I have a lot of $$$ going to waste. By $$$, I mean 2 M&K Surround-250s, paying for a 7ch amp instead of a 5ch amp, and the time and effort spent running wires/installing the back channels. Adding 2 more front height channels? I don’t think so.
post #2430 of 3679 Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Some folks use the.2 to demonstrate they have 2 subwoofers. You most likely won't find this term used on Dolby's or DTS's websites.

As for 9.1, I don't see the point. It was not long ago since I moved from and old 5.1 receiver (13 years old) to the newer 7.1 HD audio formats only to be disappointed. I was not disappointed by the sound quality of the new HD formats. I was disappointed on the lack of 7.1 content. Folks have been adding 2 back surrounds for over 10 years. I thought for sure 7.1 would be much bigger by now, at least on newer movies/releases. I know I can still use my back channels, but in many cases, the sound they produce is just my processor adding content that is not part of the recording. I am not sure this really bothers me, however, I often feel that I have a lot of $$$ going to waste. By $$$, I mean 2 M&K Surround-250s, paying for a 7ch amp instead of a 5ch amp, and the time and effort spent running wires/installing the back channels. Adding 2 more front height channels? I don't think so.

I'm with you on this one. Except I added a 2 channel amp and two M&K SW-150's. I need more 7.1 discrete content.

Chet
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page