Bought a house, HT is complete and I'm happy. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Gallery
Keep in mind that I am still unpacking...

I don't mean for this post to be an advertisment, but I am very happy to be an audiophile and excited with moving into a house.

I was staying in a duplex before and before that a apartment. It is great to have the extra room. To go with the bigger room I rounded out my home theater by adding a pair of Focal studio monitors for surrounds to compliment the three I had in front. (Solo6 surrounds, Twin6s in front)

This is the culmination of over ten years of "being a audiophile". My first system was a pair of Bose 401s and a cheap Sony Pro-Logic receiver and CD changer. Then I moved to a purist stereo setup with Adcom seperates and Magnepans. Now I'm back to surround sound and am enjoying DVD-As and SACD.

My system has never sounded better and it is just an amazing experience. This is the first time I have experienced five speakers with the same voicing. Before moving I was using NHT SuperZeros for surround sound. (I had them level matched with the Focals and was driving them with a 250 wpc Carver amp. I'm surprised I never blew them up, lol). The room boundaries just disappear and the source material has complete control of the acoustic space.

A couple of my friends thought it was overkill to use expensive speakers for the surrounds. When I had the NHTs I was in a smaller room and it did sound very good. However reading posts here it is universally recommended to use five matching speakers. That was definitely a good idea.

The other thing I realized is that even though the speakers are rated -3db @ 40hz it pays to use a higher xover. I have a 80hz xover set in my Denon DVD-A/SACD player and when I cranking up the Blue Man group I was getting some decent cone movement on the rear speakers (Single 6.5" mid/woofer). I do like to crank on it though. The five Focals have 1700 watts rms of combined amplifier power, with the Twin6s rated for 115db and Solo6s for 113db.

I am glad that I had a number of different speakers and components in my system before settling on the Focals. I had Magnepans for six or seven years and I was very happy with those. Actually for large orchestra pieces in stereo the Magnepans are great because they throw such a huge soundstage. Moving more towards home theater pushed me towards more conventional speakers. I also enjoy the wide sweet spot and better imaging.

Well I guess that is about it. I'm running balanced out of a Arcam AVP-700 and using a Velodyne F1800xr subwoofer. The Velodyne is currently my oldest component and even though it is rated at a measly 250 watts continous / 750 peak it still keeps up with the system.

Now I'm looking forward to spending more time concentrating on media and less on gear. Of course since I have a house I'm too poor to buy anymore gear now. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 PM

good luck, i just closed on my first home 2 weeks ago, and i'm trying to figure this mess out!

its so confusing and costly. esp after having to buy appliances, furniture, a new bmw for the wifey, shiet.... i'm 29 and its sooo much!
post #3 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator_1977
good luck, i just closed on my first home 2 weeks ago, and i'm trying to figure this mess out!

its so confusing and costly. esp after having to buy appliances, furniture, a new bmw for the wifey, shiet.... i'm 29 and its sooo much!
Thanks.

I'm 28 and I will be living here alone for awhile. The bills do pile up on you. My living room with the HT setup is nice, but that is about it. I was thinking of buying some new bedroom furniture, but I decided to just throw a mattress on the ground and save some money. :)
post #4 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 PM

haha, this is you pre-marriage. post marriage is a different story.

i'd sleep in a sleeping bag if i could get a bad ass ht!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop
Thanks.

I'm 28 and I will be living here alone for awhile. The bills do pile up on you. My living room with the HT setup is nice, but that is about it. I was thinking of buying some new bedroom furniture, but I decided to just throw a mattress on the ground and save some money. :)
post #5 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 61
As I said in the Focal thread. Very Very nice looking room. Those monitors look very good in there. And I am sure that it sounds great. Enjoy.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #6 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violator_1977

electronics are bad purchases but dang new beamer? she wouldn't settle for a cpl yr old one? hopefully u didn't finance it.
sorry i just hate to see ppl make monthly paymens on something thats going down in value like a rock. good ol dave ramsey fan here i guess..
post #7 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 AM

Liked: 14
A word of warning: Never tell people on this forum that you are happy with what you have, or they will be lining up to tell you what is wrong with your stuff and why you should be disappointed with it.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Having a dedicated home theater that you can crank up the volume on is one of the best things about having you're own home.

With the lowering cost of projectors, and the ability to use small speakers with a subwoofer and get nice full sound, the price isn't that bad for what you get. Just takes a little sweat to install it all correctly.

My little home theater is the crown jewel of my home. Dim the lighs, fire up the 92" projection screen, and I'm in a different world. I can't wait until 1080i/p equipment becomes dirt cheap, it will be even better. :cool:
post #9 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
Having a dedicated home theater that you can crank up the volume on is one of the best things about having you're own home.

With the lowering cost of projectors, and the ability to use small speakers with a subwoofer and get nice full sound, the price isn't that bad for what you get. Just takes a little sweat to install it all correctly.

My little home theater is the crown jewel of my home. Dim the lighs, fire up the 92" projection screen, and I'm in a different world. I can't wait until 1080i/p equipment becomes dirt cheap, it will be even better. :cool:

i agree i have a panny900 w/ a 106" greywolf and a oppo dvd player and really feel i got a great performance per $ spent. i have it all for about a year now and i truely enjoy it. my next purchase is a house and new speakers.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM
A word of warning: Never tell people on this forum that you are happy with what you have, or they will be lining up to tell you what is wrong with your stuff and why you should be disappointed with it.
There is always better gear out there, but at some point you just have to sit back and enjoy the music.
post #11 of 16 Old 11-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Well,

I did finance it, but I received a good rate (5.1%), I have a pretty good credit score, but i guess i'm starting off with a clean slate. I never had a lot of debts before, and my own current car was gifted to me by my parents. I'm pretty simple (read frugal) when it comes to disposables like food, and clothes... long story short, no regrets though, cuz I told her she would drive it for 6 years or more (its a new shape, so i don't think it will change anytime soon anyways).

new job starting up in a few months hopefully its bright, we'll see. gotta have a basic HT tho :D

edit: and yes, I spoiler her. Believe it or not this is her first car. not bad to start off with an 06 bemer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB101
electronics are bad purchases but dang new beamer? she wouldn't settle for a cpl yr old one? hopefully u didn't finance it.
sorry i just hate to see ppl make monthly paymens on something thats going down in value like a rock. good ol dave ramsey fan here i guess..
post #12 of 16 Old 11-08-2006, 12:38 PM

"I'm pretty simple (read frugal) when it comes to disposables like food, and clothes"

You will go far spending a little less than you make, rather than a little more. Not everyone has that luxury, sometimes, but as long as you have that option you will be glad you took it.

"and yes, I spoil" [the wife]

Not in every case, but for the most part: that strategy will take you far too.

Enjoy the new house; I remember how happy I was to have my own place, where (most importantly) I could not hear other people and they couldn't hear... my sound system!
post #13 of 16 Old 11-08-2006, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

looks good! the only thing I would adjust is the height of the screen...get a lower center channel stand and bring the screen down a bit...this will help reduce light spill and reflections from the white ceiling...
post #14 of 16 Old 11-08-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLincoln
looks good! the only thing I would adjust is the height of the screen...get a lower center channel stand and bring the screen down a bit...this will help reduce light spill and reflections from the white ceiling...
The ceilling looks white but it is actually a grey color "Mud Puddle" it is funny because I think that color gets used for DIY screens. I went with the screen high because I consider myself more of a audiophile then videophile and I wanted to get the center channel tweeter up as close to the L/R tweeters as possible. However you aren't the first person to suggest lowering it. I have 7.5' ceillings so it isn't like it is crazy high. I will probably play around with the height some.

I also have the PJ mounted almost flush and I am about at the limit of what I can do with lens shift.

thanks
post #15 of 16 Old 11-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Nice setup. Can I ask you what brand/model of speaker stands you are using for fronts. I just bought a pair of Chorus 807Vs and I'm not sure what size stand to get that will support them.
post #16 of 16 Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munga7
Nice setup. Can I ask you what brand/model of speaker stands you are using for fronts. I just bought a pair of Chorus 807Vs and I'm not sure what size stand to get that will support them.
Get the matching stands from Focal!

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/503/s800v.JPG

I hope to have my stands soon.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page