post #3001 of 19197 Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlock View Post

You might want to try the 610 or 610xp.

I'd like to keep the price around the same ~$400 I'd be paying for the 608.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

Then get an Outlaw sub.

Will have to look into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 19197 Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Anyone know if the new CM speakers are at CEDIA this week?

More pictures from CEDIA:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/09/06...08-booth-tour/
post #3003 of 19197 Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyHiHatWork View Post

Will have to look into it...

I got the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub 2 years ago, and at the time had B&W DM603 speakers. I now have the 804S speakers, but the sub still matches well with it.
post #3004 of 19197 Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 AM

Thanks for that Audiophile! Will post photos later, took your first option and looks OK (though the wife is not excited!) Cheers
post #3005 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM

Had another audition for the 685 system today. Definitely going to buy 685 fronts and HTM62 center. Probably will go 686 rears.

I'm wavering on the sub. I think I will demo the 608 side by side with the comparable SVS at home.
post #3006 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM

What would be the recommend hz setting for 683 for the front and 685 for the surounds
post #3007 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well guys I've had my 684s all boxed up for a week now ready to take back for when my 683s came in but it's like I'm getting the vibe my local dealer is trying to purposely blow me off and make me keep the 684s. First he said his shipments come fast in two to three days which would of meant I should of received them by last friday. Monday I call and he says they're still not in and he would call and find out where they are and let me know what's-what.

Wednesday two days later and they're still not in and they said they'll call tomorrow and try to get a tracking number to see where they are. Well it's like didn't they tell me they would do exactly that Monday? Call and find out what's what? Now they gotta do that again? I ordered a brand new receiver from J&R yesterday at 11am, $100 off their price ($125 lower then Best Buy), free shipping and no tax and it was at my door when I got home from work today! Now that's service! I wish J&R dealt with B&W speakers!

I know right about now you're probably thinking I'm just an impatient person. No, it's not really that. It's more about how they said they would find out what was going on with my shipment Monday and call me back Tuesday to let me know. Now it's Wednesday, they didn't call me to let me know anything, and they're telling me the same story they did Monday that they'll call tomorrow and see what's going on.

I know one thing, I will not be a returning customer to this dealer unless they're willing to give a discount off their original quote. I'm going to tell them if/when they finally receive the speakers and I go through with buying them that I'm going to leave it up to them- give me a discount for unsatisfactory service to keep a future customer or I'll pay fully what they originally quoted me and never return. It's going to be totally up to them. A simple phone call like they where suppose to would of made me 75% happier then I am now with them.

On the plus side, I gotta give it up to J&R. They told me I should receive my receiver by Friday and I got it today two days early! And that was free shipping, $100 off, and tax free on top of that! Very happy with J&R. No, I take that back... I'm extremely happy with J&R. I'll be checking with them first from now on to see if they sell what I'm looking for.

But what am I going to do to get a set of 683s now? You think B&W themselves would help me out if I where to call them and tell them how my local dealer is giving me the run-around? I wish I could afford to keep the 684s for rears and take my business elsewhere for the 683s but I've overblown my budget as it is. Anyone that has had any experience with B&W the company themselves think they would be willing to honor the dealers trade-up deal? I think I'll give B&W a call tomorrow and see if worst case scenario if my local dealer doesn't follow through if they'd be willing to help me out...

Customer service... it's almost more important than the actual product! Reason why Newegg.com is so successful and does so good on word of mouth.
post #3008 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Yes I wish Newegg.com carried High end audio gear. I use to buy a lot of parts from them to build PC's in turn they gave me a nice line of credit and I never had on bit of problem from them if I needed to return a Item. They also had very fast and cheap shipping cost.
post #3009 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 PM

No one have a recommended setting for the 683's and 685's?
post #3010 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:

I got the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub 2 years ago, and at the time had B&W DM603 speakers. I now have the 804S speakers, but the sub still matches well with it.

i have the same outlaw lfm1 plus, and love it. just watched u571 on blue ray, the best iv'e ever heard as far as lfe goes. it's not just the depth charges, but when the sub submerges, it feels like your stomach goes down with it. i read a review on audio video revolution, and the reviewer said it stood up to subs costing 5 x as much. that was enough for me.
post #3011 of 19197 Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 PM

I was going to test the SVS, but you think the Outlaw is better? It's more expensive than the SVS and the B&W.
post #3012 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:

I was going to test the SVS, but you think the Outlaw is better? It's more expensive than the SVS and the B&W.

the outlaw is much less. go on their website, (you can read the review i was talking about) i think the lfm+ is $499 and the ex is 599. (i paid $699 at the time) the ex is the same set up with a larger box. i like that both are down firing subs. no port chufing. try it, you can send it back if you don't like it, but i think you'll end up keeping it. it really does sound like a $1200 sub
post #3013 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Well guys I've had my 684s all boxed up for a week now ready to take back for when my 683s came in but it's like I'm getting the vibe my local dealer is trying to purposely blow me off and make me keep the 684s. First he said his shipments come fast in two to three days which would of meant I should of received them by last friday. Monday I call and he says they're still not in and he would call and find out where they are and let me know what's-what.

Wednesday two days later and they're still not in and they said they'll call tomorrow and try to get a tracking number to see where they are. Well it's like didn't they tell me they would do exactly that Monday? Call and find out what's what? Now they gotta do that again? I ordered a brand new receiver from J&R yesterday at 11am, $100 off their price ($125 lower then Best Buy), free shipping and no tax and it was at my door when I got home from work today! Now that's service! I wish J&R dealt with B&W speakers!

I know right about now you're probably thinking I'm just an impatient person. No, it's not really that. It's more about how they said they would find out what was going on with my shipment Monday and call me back Tuesday to let me know. Now it's Wednesday, they didn't call me to let me know anything, and they're telling me the same story they did Monday that they'll call tomorrow and see what's going on.

I know one thing, I will not be a returning customer to this dealer unless they're willing to give a discount off their original quote. I'm going to tell them if/when they finally receive the speakers and I go through with buying them that I'm going to leave it up to them- give me a discount for unsatisfactory service to keep a future customer or I'll pay fully what they originally quoted me and never return. It's going to be totally up to them. A simple phone call like they where suppose to would of made me 75% happier then I am now with them.

On the plus side, I gotta give it up to J&R. They told me I should receive my receiver by Friday and I got it today two days early! And that was free shipping, $100 off, and tax free on top of that! Very happy with J&R. No, I take that back... I'm extremely happy with J&R. I'll be checking with them first from now on to see if they sell what I'm looking for.

But what am I going to do to get a set of 683s now? You think B&W themselves would help me out if I where to call them and tell them how my local dealer is giving me the run-around? I wish I could afford to keep the 684s for rears and take my business elsewhere for the 683s but I've overblown my budget as it is. Anyone that has had any experience with B&W the company themselves think they would be willing to honor the dealers trade-up deal? I think I'll give B&W a call tomorrow and see if worst case scenario if my local dealer doesn't follow through if they'd be willing to help me out...

Customer service... it's almost more important than the actual product! Reason why Newegg.com is so successful and does so good on word of mouth.

I know it's frustrating to have to wait for your new toys but in all honesty, it's been a day longer than what they told you which is really no big deal and making threats isnt exactly the classiest way to do things. Customer service is absolutely important but the thing that people fail to realize is that the customer has obligations as well including courtesy, manners, and respect and it takes two to make a smooth transaction. Plus, it's a bit difficult to compare large online retailers like J&R and Newegg with their impossibly large, well-stocked warehouses to your local dealer who is lucky if he can stock 20% of his SKU's.
post #3014 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam View Post

I know it's frustrating to have to wait for your new toys but in all honesty, it's been a day longer than what they told you....

Actually it's been five days longer then it should of been (six if you want to count today).... but like I said it's not really that, it's more about how they said they'd find out what was going on and call me back and let me know and two days after that when I called them back (they've never called me back) they said the same thing that they'll find out whats going on and call me back (something they told me they would do once already and didn't so now what should I think?)

So it's more about the customer service than the actual time it's taking to get them. I was only going to ask them to drop the $28 tax. Loose $28 now to keep a customer, or thousands in the future when I take my money elsewhere. A simple phone call like they where suppose to would of made me happy.
post #3015 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam View Post

Customer service is absolutely important but the thing that people fail to realize is that the customer has obligations as well including courtesy, manners, and respect and it takes two to make a smooth transaction. Plus, it's a bit difficult to compare large online retailers like J&R and Newegg with their impossibly large, well-stocked warehouses to your local dealer who is lucky if he can stock 20% of his SKU's.

I have had excellent mail-order services from repeated mail orders over the years with both newegg.com and J&R. They send what I've ordered, it arrives reasonably on time given the vagaries of the USPS or other shipping services, and there have never been any billing or credit card problems. I wouldn't hesitate to order from either of these companies again. Compare their customer service with the miserable experience of standing in line at BestBuy for 30 minutes to try and return something that was broken when you bought it, only to have the problem blamed on you.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3016 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommy View Post

the outlaw is much less. go on their website, (you can read the review i was talking about) i think the lfm+ is $499 and the ex is 599. (i paid $699 at the time) the ex is the same set up with a larger box. i like that both are down firing subs. no port chufing. try it, you can send it back if you don't like it, but i think you'll end up keeping it. it really does sound like a $1200 sub

Yeah, but the SVS PB10-NSD is $430 compared to $500.
post #3017 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revise View Post

What would be the recommend hz setting for 683 for the front and 685 for the surounds

Are you talking about crossover setting?

If so, a starting point is to set all speakers to "small" and start with an 80 Hz crossover. Most people find that works well, but it will depend on your sub and your room to some degree.

If you can set different crossover levels for different channels, you could explore going a bit lower with the 683s and see what happens. But in the end, it's a bit of trial and error to get things right.

If your receiver has Audyssey you can give that a try and see if you like it. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it comes close and a bit of tweaking fixes things up nicely.
post #3018 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Yeah, but the SVS PB10-NSD is $430 compared to $500.

i don't know much about svs, but that must be a entry level sub. aren't most of their subs much more$ i think you will like a down firing 12" sub vs. a 10" front firing. hey order them both, and send one back!
post #3019 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Glad to hear that!!

I'm a Marketing Coordinator for J&R, so i'm happy that your experience with us was smooth.

Anyway, back on topic...what receiver did you purchase to power your 683's?
post #3020 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM

i am using a denon 4308ci that i bought from JR to power my 683s i bought mine about 9-10 months ago and my 683s in april, now if only i could afford a pio 6020 ill be golden

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #3021 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post

Glad to hear that!!

I'm a Marketing Coordinator for J&R, so i'm happy that your experience with us was smooth.

Anyway, back on topic...what receiver did you purchase to power your 683's?

I got the Yamaha 663 for the "avsforum deal". Other then the impossible to refuse deal, I liked that it had pre amp outputs so I could use a high performance separate power amp in the future if I wanted to (the price of the receiver is great even if used only as a pre-amp/processor). Also that it stated that it used good DACs on all channels. I know Burr Brown isn't the best and there's different quality DACs from them.. but at least they're much better then what my old Sony had - basically I was out to get back the 2-channel sound quality I used to have with my Carver separates system from years ago that I lost when going to two Sony receivers I've had since then (the Sony's seemed great for soundtrack but the 2-channel sound quality wasn't so hot).
post #3022 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtvman View Post

i am using a denon 4308ci that i bought from JR to power my 683s i bought mine about 9-10 months ago and my 683s in april, now if only i could afford a pio 6020 ill be golden

i have a 4308 also..how does the 683s pair up for sound? b&ws are warm, and dennons are on the brighter side. they should match up well.
post #3023 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:

i have a 4308 also..how does the 683s pair up for sound? b&ws are warm, and dennons are on the brighter side. they should match up well.

they sound great, clear highs and great vocals bass is good too, i have a MFW-15 sub so together it all sounds great

-- TechTVMan

My Setup
post #3024 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM

To Emig5m:
I ordered a pair of 683's back in March and the dealer told me it would be about 10 days to get them. It actually took about 3 weeks. Of course I was not trying to exchange any thing but I'm pretty sure he just couldn't get them as quick as he thought he could. Seemed like 'forever' but now it all in the past. I would just keep in contact with your dealer and maybe remind him that the 684's have been boxed up and have not been used. Maybe offer to go ahead and return them for a store credit or something...
post #3025 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgriel View Post

Are you talking about crossover setting?

If so, a starting point is to set all speakers to "small" and start with an 80 Hz crossover. Most people find that works well, but it will depend on your sub and your room to some degree.

If you can set different crossover levels for different channels, you could explore going a bit lower with the 683s and see what happens. But in the end, it's a bit of trial and error to get things right.

If your receiver has Audyssey you can give that a try and see if you like it. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it comes close and a bit of tweaking fixes things up nicely.

Thanks I have a Denon AVR 1909 also have a MFW-15 on the way should be here Monday or maybe this Friday if I Can find out if it is hear and go get it at UPS instead of waiting till Monday. I think I have them at 80hz I just did it manual with a SPL but this was the first time I have done this.
tried using Audyssey several times but think my Sub was just to small. Hope the MFW -15 will solve this problem.
I am just very new to Audio stuff and am never sure if what I am doing is right.
post #3026 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revise View Post

Thanks I have a Denon AVR 1909 also have a MFW-15 on the way should be here Monday or maybe this Friday if I Can find out if it is hear and go get it at UPS instead of waiting till Monday. I think I have them at 80hz I just did it manual with a SPL but this was the first time I have done this.
tried using Audyssey several times but think my Sub was just to small. Hope the MFW -15 will solve this problem.
I am just very new to Audio stuff and am never sure if what I am doing is right.

i set my crossover at 40hz, becouse i like to let the towers do the work. as far as music goes, i don't like subs. they can become boomy. that's why speaker manufactures went from 10 and 12 inch drivers to 6.5". at 40 hz, the sub will kick in just fine with movies. try it.
post #3027 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

i set my crossover at 40hz, becouse i like to let the towers do the work. as far as music goes, i don't like subs. they can become boomy. that's why speaker manufactures went from 10 and 12 inch drivers to 6.5". at 40 hz, the sub will kick in just fine with movies. try it.

Bad subs get boomy. And any sub will sound boomy if its placed improperly in the room, or if room treatments are needed. You have a right to your preference, of course, but I don't think your comments apply to all subs in all situations, nor is there any reason to denigrate properly built subs with 10" or 12" drivers.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #3028 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Bad subs get boomy. And any sub will sound boomy if its placed improperly in the room, or if room treatments are needed. You have a right to your preference, of course, but I don't think your comments apply to all subs in all situations, nor is there any reason to denigrate properly built subs with 10" or 12" drivers.

i have a outlaw lmf1 plus, which i love,( i can feel it standing in my driveway.) and i know there are much better if you want to spend the money. but i've heard much worse. i feel that when you go to a 12 or 15 in. ported sub, you are going to lose some control. unless of course your speakers cannot go that low, but i'd save for better speakers.
post #3029 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have my front B&W 804S crossover at 40Hz and the HTM3S Center at 60Hz, sending to the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub. The only difference with the EX model is that it goes down 2Hz lower. I'm not sure if that small difference is worth an extra $100. But if I didn't already have the Plus for 2 years and needed to buy a sub, I'd get the EX. Either one is a bargin for the price. The matching B&W subs for the 800-series (asw825, asw855) cost $2700-$3500. I haven't tried them, so not sure how they compare to the Outlaw subs.
post #3030 of 19197 Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 PM

Yes to show how new I am to this I was talked into getting a 8 inch and then a 10 inch sub, ASW608 and 610 for a 20 X 18 room then came to this forum and found out why I had troubles with getting the sound I wanted from them lol. Relay need a ported sub that goes down to at least 20 hz for a Ht set up from what I read. I may need to get the Outlaw sub over the MFW -15 it may not be as good as the MFW -15 but the outlaw should do good enough and it is cheaper too.
I went withe the MFW -15 mainly do to the great reviews and that I could get it for 90 days same as cash I don't have the cash to buy either outright right now and cant stand not having a decent sub.
The outlaw also would be better for me in that it is down firing. This would be great being that my 2 year old grandson stays with me even though he leaves the speakers alone as far as I can tell so far.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page