B&W Owner's Thread - Page 142 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman402 View Post

Purchased some 685's about a month ago they come packaged in pairs I assume thats why they wont sell a single. They would be stuck with an open box single 685 if they did

That would make sense then.

oh well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Does anyone have the stand for the HTM3S center channel? I was looking for some measurements. I've always loved B&W speakers and finally may have the ability to get some.

If you have the stand, how tall is it from the floor to the top of the tweeter? How large is the base? and how far is it from the front of the base to the back of the speaker?

Thanks,
Chris

I am using this SoundAnchors stand with my HTM3S.
http://www.soundanchors.com/page36.html
It's about 1/2 the price of the B&W stand, and I think it's built better. You can also adjust the height and tilt of the speaker. I have mine as high as it will go and slightly tilted, since its sitting infront of an entertainment cabinet, and want the tweeter just below the bottom edge of the TV.

They also make stands for other B&W speakers.
http://www.soundanchors.com/page55.html
I have the ones for the 804S.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

The good news is I ordered a pair of 685's to use as fronts in a 5.1 setup. The bad news is the dealer would not sell me three speakers, only in pairs. They told me when I was there last week they would sell single speakers. When I went to order yesterday they said they wouldn't, or couldn't, I'm not quite clear on that.

Since using a 685 for the center seems to be my best option, I'm going to keep my eyes open on audiogon, ebay and here to see if someone sells a single, or a pair at a reduced enough cost. I'm not in a real big hurry and I might experiment with a 4.1 system for the summer. I'll keep the HTM62 in mind though.

@ HTMAN21
The only B&W dealer in WI is a small home automation installer, they only had a pair in their demo room. They didn't even have an HTM61 or 62. The next closest dealer is in Michigan or Indiana, at best a 4-5hr drive.

@Audi0phile
I'm not sure if you read my post wrong, I am getting the 685's as my front speakers. But if I follow your logic correctly, the best center would be another 685, which would fit under my TV nicely, although it might need to be angled up slightly.

@AndyGood
Hmmm, what do you mean the 62 sounded small. Can adjusting EQ and level on my receiver make up for something like that?

Thanks

Brian

It didn't throw a substantial soundstage.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I want to join the club,

I have:

- B&W 602s3 as frontal;
- B&W HTM7 as center;
- B&W LM1 as surround;

Thank you!

Listening is the best experience.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate* View Post

I want to join the club,

I have:

- B&W 602s3 as frontal;
- B&W HTM7 as center;
- B&W LM1 as surround;

Thank you!

There is a member fee. You can send the check to me.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM

I think this is nothing but figured I ask. So i'm playing Killzone 2 the last area of the 4th level on Elite and there are the trumpets and trombones playing in the background. I notice that when the trumpets and trombones play it's not a smooth sound but I sorta hear either distortion or spit or the vibration of the instrument. Kinda like playing the trumpet but you spit a little too much. Is that normal? It's only when the trumpets or trombone plays. Might just be how it sounds to play that instrument but just want to make sure my speakers aren't busted or anything.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 PM

Nm it's not the speakers. Threw on some headphones and I got the same weird sound out of the headphones. Though I must say hearing a song with just the subwoofer on sounds really weird. Never knew my sub was making all that noise and I could barely tell.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM

just thought i would share a little experiment of mine. I have a pair of 685's for my fronts and the htm2 as my center and i have been using just some generic 12 gauge speaker wire.. well i have access to audio quest wire at a very cheap price so i thought i'd see if it actually made a difference, i also chose to bi-amp. ( i went with type-8 wire, and i have a dtr 7.8) well i'm not sure exactly which part made the biggest difference and i'm not climbing behind the stand to do it all over again, but holly S***... it sounds so much better now! has anyone else bi-amped their book shelves? or does anyone else like audioquest wire?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Seems that opinions on this thread don't favor the B&W subs; I have 804s speakers connected to an Anthem AVM50 processor and Anthem PVA5 amp. Happy thus far, and my next move is to add a sub. I don't have a lot of room for a center since my plasma is above the mantle, and the 804s's image so well, I don't seem to miss it. Listen to music more than movies, but need to balance the 2. Would like to hear your opinions regarding ported vs sealed box designs. I've been considering the Outlaw LFM-1 EX or Hsu Research ULS-15. Any suggestions?
LL
Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Hey everybody. I have the option to buy a pair of DM640s for $600. They are in perfect condition. Do you think this is a good deal?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ener G View Post

Seems that opinions on this thread don't favor the B&W subs; I have 804s speakers connected to an Anthem AVM50 processor and Anthem PVA5 amp. Happy thus far, and my next move is to add a sub. I don't have a lot of room for a center since my plasma is above the mantle, and the 804s's image so well, I don't seem to miss it. Listen to music more than movies, but need to balance the 2. Would like to hear your opinions regarding ported vs sealed box designs. I've been considering the Outlaw LFM-1 EX or Hsu Research ULS-15. Any suggestions?

Considering the MFW-15 outperforms the LFM by quite a bit, and the HSU outperforms the MFW-15, I think it is safe to say that the ULS-15 would be the better sub. Not to mention, their wireless capability.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Can anyone tell me which Center i should use for my CM7 ?

I tried a CM1, just for testing reasons and it sounded awefull compared to CM7 Phantom Center. I fear the CMC wouldnt do much better, do i really have to buy a CMC 2 which has also the FST mid ?

Any experience?

mfg
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:

As far as subs go I recommend Velodyne. I admit I have a personal bias towards their sub products. Take a look at the digital drive series. They can be tuned to your room.

http://www.velodyne.com/products/pro...4&sid=828o176n
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would second the recommendation for Velodyne if you are looking for a good sub for both HT and music. I have been using an HGS-12 with my N804s for many years now, and have been very happy with the setup. For music only I prefer REL, but my B&W are in the HT setup.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillers17 View Post

just thought i would share a little experiment of mine. I have a pair of 685's for my fronts and the htm2 as my center and i have been using just some generic 12 gauge speaker wire.. well i have access to audio quest wire at a very cheap price so i thought i'd see if it actually made a difference, i also chose to bi-amp. ( i went with type-8 wire, and i have a dtr 7.8) well i'm not sure exactly which part made the biggest difference and i'm not climbing behind the stand to do it all over again, but holly S***... it sounds so much better now! has anyone else bi-amped their book shelves? or does anyone else like audioquest wire?

I am bi-amping nearly every speaker in my main system. Using 2 Mac MC207s. Bi-amping is great

Quote:

I really like my B&W subs. I have 2 ASW 855s in my main set-up and an ASW 3000 in another room. I like how they blend with my other B&W speakers.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by final_frontier View Post

I fear the CMC wouldnt do much better, do i really have to buy a CMC 2 which has also the FST mid ?

I would do that. The CMC2 is a *way* better match than the CMC to either of the two tower models. Most of the main soundtracks comes out of the center channel speaker.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Hey all,

Quick request. If any comes across a LCR600 S3 anywhere in their travels, can you please PM me and let me know. I'm trying to round out my system and match my 603 S3's and I'm having a heck of a time finding the LCR in Black Ash. I guess their owners must like 'em to much to part with them

Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you find one for sale in Canada there could be some Timmies GC's in it for ya

Cheers,
Jason.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have the 804S and HTM3S with the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus sub, which is the older version of the EX sub. I think they match well music wise, as it doesn't sound too "boomy" like some sub do, but still has plenty of power for movies. I have my 804S crossover set to 40Hz and HTM3S at 60Hz so everything below that goes to the sub.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM

Could Marantz PM8003 handle B&W704 properly ?

It's a integrated with 70W output at 8ohms. (http://us.marantz.com/Products/2570.asp)
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHZ View Post

Could Marantz PM8003 handle B&W704 properly ?

It's a integrated with 70W output at 8ohms. (http://us.marantz.com/Products/2570.asp)

I don't know this amp, but I do have 704's. The answer to your question will depend in part how big your room is, how loud you play your system, and what kind of music you listen to (for example, do you listen to music with a lot of heavy bass).

My 704's are powered by a 200 wpc amp that has a wattage indicator lights. The speakers are in a 14 x 21 room that's acoustically lively. When I played organ music or classical orchestra/chorus pieces VERY loudly, the lights would show a maximum of maybe 75-100 wpc momentarily. Now that I have a sub in this system (with crossover set at 50 Hz), none of the wattage indicators ever go on because the sub is doing the heavy lifting. So I'm not certain if 70 wpc is going to be enough because there are too many unknowns. Or if someone had one of those nice impedance/phase angle graphs for the 704's (like the ones in Stereophile), you'd have a much more definite answer.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Old 03-23-2009, 04:11 AM

I am looking for an A/V receiver to power my B&W 683 front and HTM-61 Center. Can you please guide me to best receiver to match with B&W. Below are the choices.

1. Denon 3808
2. Yamaha 3900
3. Onkyo 876
4. Pioneer SC-07
5. Marantz 8002

I am 50% movies and 50% music and i prefer neutral sound. Room dimensions are(L*W*H)16'*12'*9'.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvban View Post

I am looking for an A/V receiver to power my B&W 683 front and HTM-61 Center. Can you please guide me to best receiver to match with B&W. Below are the choices.

1. Denon 3808
2. Yamaha 3900
3. Onkyo 876
4. Pioneer SC-07
5. Marantz 8002

I am 50% movies and 50% music and i prefer neutral sound. Room dimensions are(L*W*H)16'*12'*9'.

Thanks.

The Pioneer SC-07 (and 05) is almost a steal at current prices.
My first choice would be the 3900.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I don't know this amp, but I do have 704's. The answer to your question will depend in part how big your room is, how loud you play your system, and what kind of music you listen to (for example, do you listen to music with a lot of heavy bass).

I dont have a large room, use it for HT 5.1 with 704, HTM7 and 705.

Right now i need to choose what kind of setup, receiver + power or receiver + integrated (with bypass).

Where i live i don't have much choice, don't like Denon (sound too flat) so ended up with Marantz or Yamaha.

Could be enough the Marantz SR6003 + PM8003 or SR6003 + Rotel RMB1075 for these speakers ?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMAN21 View Post

There is a member fee. You can send the check to me.

Do you take PayPal??

-------------

I need some help...

In terms of sound quality, accuracy and fidelity, is it possible to say that the Kef IQ5 or IQ7 is better than the B&W 602s3?

Ok I know 602s3 is bookshelf, and I know IQ5 and IQ7 are mini-mid-towers.

What about the B&W 705 is it better than the Kef IQ5?

Thank you!

Listening is the best experience.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 PM

I'll join also.....

Home Theater:

4 N805's
HTM2 (center)
M&K sub
B&K AVR 507 recevier
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvban View Post

1. Denon 3808
2. Yamaha 3900
3. Onkyo 876
4. Pioneer SC-07
5. Marantz 8002

Thanks.

I have the v3900 paired up with b&w 683s and I couldnt be happier!!....I plan on getting the 685s next for my surrounds but as for the htm61 center speaker!?!?.. who knows how that will sound!?!?...Im keeping my fingers crossed!!... and keeping an eye out for suggested alternatives b4 I bite the bullet and buy one!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For all of you B&W Music Club members, we now have a group on last.fm . The group is new (and free), but last.fm will start generating stats for what the group as a whole is listening to on a weekly basis. Last.fm has been a great way for me to run across new music, several of my purchases over the last couple of years were music that I found through last.fm B&W is also paying attention to this, they have already sent it out through twitter and their music club blog. Hopefully it will also show them what the members are listening to and perhaps make the service even better.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLPIII View Post

I am bi-amping nearly every speaker in my main system. Using 2 Mac MC207s. Bi-amping is great

I really like my B&W subs. I have 2 ASW 855s in my main set-up and an ASW 3000 in another room. I like how they blend with my other B&W speakers.

I actually had a ASW 855, it is definetly a good sub for music, but when I used it for home theater use, it was not up to the task. It would actually bottom out if stressed. I have now switched to jl audio, and the sub never bottoms out.. Have you ever had this prob with your ASW 855's?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Can I join to:

B&W 603 S3 Front
B&W 600 S3 center
unknow celling surround will get dipolar in the future
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iostream View Post

For all of you B&W Music Club members, we now have a group on last.fm . The group is new (and free), but last.fm will start generating stats for what the group as a whole is listening to on a weekly basis. Last.fm has been a great way for me to run across new music, several of my purchases over the last couple of years were music that I found through last.fm B&W is also paying attention to this, they have already sent it out through twitter and their music club blog. Hopefully it will also show them what the members are listening to and perhaps make the service even better.

During the free trial trial period, I downloaded some of their music, but I was unable to find anything online that would play their file formats. There was no MP3 , WAV, etc. formats available from them.

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090