post #541 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 PM
adm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree View Post

Has anyone compared the 6 series s2 vs. s3? I've heard the 603 s3 and really liked it, but I have also read that the 603 s2 sounds better. Opinions?

dthree,

It really goes along with what your ears tell you.

A few years ago, I had the good fortune to be able to go and hear 602, 603, 604 (s2 and s3) (as well as a couple of 7 series), when I was looking to buy. I brought several cds that I loved and had them play the same cds on an a/b setup in a listening room. (Actually a/b/c).

I then narrowed it down to the one that sounded the best for my ears which wound up to be the 604 S3. While the 7 (I forgot which ones I heard at the time) were in another room, which may have impacted on the true listening a/b set up, their sound was fine. Maybe price did impact a bit, but I do not regret my purchase.

There have been several comments here supporting the ability to take both home and audition/compare within your own environment. If you can swing that, then, you will really be in a good position to make an educated/informed decision.

Again, you have to be the one to decide.

..Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

My CM7's are still on order. Want to tell us what you think of them?

Peter,

I live in Jax.. I'm just curious which dealer you are getting your b&w's from?

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
post #543 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post

It really goes along with what your ears tell you.

Since the s2 is discontinued, no dealer I've checked near me has them so I can't listen to them. I've found them used over the net so I might just have to get them and just ebay them if I don't like the sound. Thanks for your reply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #544 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree View Post

Since the s2 is discontinued, no dealer I've checked near me has them so I can't listen to them. I've found them used over the net so I might just have to get them and just ebay them if I don't like the sound. Thanks for your reply.

As to their being discontinued, my timing was that when I was looking, it was the end of the s2 run and the start of the s3.

Hope it works out for you.
..Mark
post #545 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoniko View Post

Peter,

I live in Jax.. I'm just curious which dealer you are getting your b&w's from?

Hoyt Stereo on Beach. I've been dealing with them for years. That's were I got all of the Rotel gear.
post #546 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater1 View Post

Regarding the difficult nature of the 703s...would an amp, such as the Rotel Class D RMB-1092 (100x7) perform better than my 105x7 Onkyo AVR?

Depends how large your room is and how much you demand from your speakers in terms of dynamics. If you are in a medium room, and dont do reference level movies, you probably wont benefit as much as if you were in a larger room and did a lot of movie watching.
post #547 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hoyt Stereo on Beach. I've been dealing with them for years. That's were I got all of the Rotel gear.

Have you received your CM7s yet?
post #548 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Have you received your CM7s yet?

Not yet. The order was delayed.

They are saying "about 2 weeks". Two LONG weeks.
post #549 of 19393 Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not yet. The order was delayed.

They are saying "about 2 weeks". Two LONG weeks.

My bro got a replacement Rosenut 705 from B&W due to his first pair (and its replacement) getting damaged in shipping from an authorized dealer. His replacement was also delayed by 1 week due to "high demand" for the particular finish. Perhaps your dealer is having a tough time getting stock of the CM7?

The 60 minutes it takes for me to unbox brand new speakers and set them up is already too long of a wait. I dont know how i would handle 2+ weeks
post #550 of 19393 Old 02-01-2007, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

My bro got a replacement Rosenut 705 from B&W due to his first pair (and its replacement) getting damaged in shipping from an authorized dealer. His replacement was also delayed by 1 week due to "high demand" for the particular finish. Perhaps your dealer is having a tough time getting stock of the CM7?

The 60 minutes it takes for me to unbox brand new speakers and set them up is already too long of a wait. I dont know how i would handle 2+ weeks

The CM 7's are still apprarently somewhat rare . However, the maple finish I ordered seems to be more available than the others, probably because it isn't that popular a color.

The finish is very light. However, since they will be sitting next to a pair of Klipsch RF5 also in maple, I was thrilled to hear they had that color.
post #551 of 19393 Old 02-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Great to find this thread. I have 602 S3 front and LCR60 center. Due to space constraint, I have been looking for wall mountable rear speakers. 600 would do the job but I like to have small satellite speakers which will match my existing ones. Do you guys have any recommendations?
post #552 of 19393 Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
fpm2's
ds6's
m1's

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #553 of 19393 Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My first impression of them is that they are errogant...I think they have mellowed out. I've not purchased from them, but I go in there every now and again.

I don't like what they setup. The used to have a pair of 803d's setup to a pioneer elite receiver. the 803d's sounded terrible... they said "its a $4k receiver, it should be fine." it wasn't... and they owner doesn't seem to like b&w much. He is always saying how def tech is better for HT and legacy is better for 2 ch. really throws me for a loop... to each his own..

post #554 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My first impression of them is that they are errogant...I think they have mellowed out. I've not purchased from them, but I go in there every now and again.

I don't like what they setup. The used to have a pair of 803d's setup to a pioneer elite receiver. the 803d's sounded terrible... they said "its a $4k receiver, it should be fine." it wasn't... and they owner doesn't seem to like b&w much. He is always saying how def tech is better for HT and legacy is better for 2 ch. really throws me for a loop... to each his own..

When I demoed the 803 and 804, they were powered by Rotel, so they've apparently changed their setup from what you experienced. The salesman I dealt with was quite enthusiastic about B&W.....in fact, that's one of the additional reasons I decided to order the CM 7s.

I suppose my experience with them has been different since I wasn't asking for advice. Mine was more of the sell/order the Rotel gear I want and get me a pair of CM 7's!....plus, since I buy so much from you...I want (and got) a discount.
post #555 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I demoed the 803 and 804, they were powered by Rotel, so they've apparently changed their setup from what you experienced. The salesman I dealt with was quite enthusiastic about B&W.....in fact, that's one of the additional reasons I decided to order the CM 7s.

I suppose my experience with them has been different since I wasn't asking for advice. Mine was more of the sell/order the Rotel gear I want and get me a pair of CM 7's!....plus, since I buy so much from you...I want (and got) a discount.

Ya. The products they carry don't really make sense to me. They don't really carry anything for a 2 channel system, except the speakers. Bryston would be the closest they come but dont have anything in stock or setup for 2 ch. They carry receivers, bryston and then jump to lexicon for HT. He sells those expensive legacy speakers but no high end cdp's or anything.

anyways, its fine to go in there, i just look around... we don't really have a wide selection of products here in Jax right now... I usually have to go out of town these days.

post #556 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya. The products they carry don't really make sense to me. They don't really carry anything for a 2 channel system, except the speakers. Bryston would be the closest they come but dont have anything in stock or setup for 2 ch. They carry receivers, bryston and then jump to lexicon for HT. He sells those expensive legacy speakers but no high end cdp's or anything.

anyways, its fine to go in there, i just look around... we don't really have a wide selection of products here in Jax right now... I usually have to go out of town these days.

I hear you. I've mentioned the situation here in Jacksonville in another thread: along the lines of....I understand that there are a number of speaker brands out there that folks (i.e. current owners) say you "must" hear. The problem is, we don't have local distributors, so it is downright impossible to do comparitive shopping.

Now, in the case of B&W, I already know I want that brand, but as I mentioned earlier, I have no idea what the CM 7s actually sound like. I've heard the 803 and 804, so I sort of know what a nautilus tweeter can do, as well as an FST midrange. How these sound implemented in the CM 7 I am about to find out. However, at least I am getting them from a local dealer with whom I have a relationship and I'm confident we can work something out in case they don't meet my needs.
post #557 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 AM

Hi everyone, I'm bouncing over to this thread from my usual home in the Sharp Aquos and Blu-Ray Owner's threads. My brother is looking into buying a surround sound system. He has chosen the Denon AVR-2307 as the receiver but is now trying to decide on speakers. Since he is not very good with the technical aspects of home audio and video, I am helping him out with research.

I'm looking for some reviews or opinions on the B&W MT-10. I searched diligently both here and on Google but have had no luck. I'm hoping one of the B&W experts here can point me to any information on the MT-10. I appreciate any assistance you guys can offer. Thank you!
post #558 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholmes View Post

Hi everyone, I'm bouncing over to this thread from my usual home in the Sharp Aquos and Blu-Ray Owner's threads. My brother is looking into buying a surround sound system. He has chosen the Denon AVR-2307 as the receiver but is now trying to decide on speakers. Since he is not very good with the technical aspects of home audio and video, I am helping him out with research.

I'm looking for some reviews or opinions on the B&W MT-10. I searched diligently both here and on Google but have had no luck. I'm hoping one of the B&W experts here can point me to any information on the MT-10. I appreciate any assistance you guys can offer. Thank you!

sholmes,
here is the review of MT-10 B&W MT-10 review
post #559 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear you. I've mentioned the situation here in Jacksonville in another thread: along the lines of....I understand that there are a number of speaker brands out there that folks (i.e. current owners) say you "must" hear. The problem is, we don't have local distributors, so it is downright impossible to do comparitive shopping.

I agree here. There are plenty of products I have had to buy blindly, as there is only a limited selection here.

Quote:

Now, in the case of B&W, I already know I want that brand, but as I mentioned earlier, I have no idea what the CM 7s actually sound like. I've heard the 803 and 804, so I sort of know what a nautilus tweeter can do, as well as an FST midrange. How these sound implemented in the CM 7 I am about to find out. However, at least I am getting them from a local dealer with whom I have a relationship and I'm confident we can work something out in case they don't meet my needs.

I love b&w speakers. I don't know if I could allow myself to buy another brand. I think the monitor audio speakers have great value for their price, but I prefer b&w.

I bought my speakers from sound installation, and I've had to go out of town for my pre/pro, cdp and amps...

post #560 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex999 View Post

sholmes,
here is the review of MT-10 B&W MT-10 review

Thank you!
post #561 of 19393 Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM

Well I can officially join the family. Just ordered CM7's in maple from my local dealer ... now I can't wait for them to come in.
post #562 of 19393 Old 02-03-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens View Post

Well I can officially join the family. Just ordered CM7's in maple from my local dealer ... now I can't wait for them to come in.

As I've mentioned, I ordered mine without auditioning them, plus I haven't seen what the maple finish actually looks like except through pictures.

Have you listened to them? What were your impressions?
post #563 of 19393 Old 02-03-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Have you listened to them? What were your impressions?

Yea I did. A little lacking in bass response (but expected with such little drivers). Mids and highs were silky smooth. I was able to compare them directly with he 705s (another speaker I was considering) and like them far better. Great solid construction as well .. seems much better then the 600 series.

Depends on your taste I guess. Great for music and paired with a decent sub should be excellent for movies.
post #564 of 19393 Old 02-03-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea I did. A little lacking in bass response (but expected with such little drivers). Mids and highs were silky smooth. I was able to compare them directly with he 705s (another speaker I was considering) and like them far better. Great solid construction as well .. seems much better then the 600 series.

Depends on your taste I guess. Great for music and paired with a decent sub should be excellent for movies.

That's what I wanted to hear! I'm not concerned about the bass -- they will be playing with an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. I'm mostly concerned with the mid/treble, and from what you said that should be what I am hoping for.
post #565 of 19393 Old 02-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Well folks, I have been lurking here for a while now, and just now starting to post. I finally got a new TV (a Sony KDS-50A2000), DVD player (Oppo's 981HD), and picking up a Rega Apollo as a dedicated CDP (vice using my old DVD player as the CDP). Right now I am running my 602S3s and 600S3s with an Integra DTR-5.3 receiver, and thinking about going to separates. Rotel has always been on my mind as far as separates go, but also looking any suggestions, keeping in mind that I will be upgrading the speakers within the next year (though not necessarily B&Ws... ).
So what do you all think?

Go Far, Stay Long, See Deep
post #566 of 19393 Old 02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This thread needs a little color. Attached are photos of my HT and also my two-channel system.
The home theater is made up of Nautilus 805 mains, HTM2 center and 601S2 rears. My sub is a Velodyne HGS 10 Series II. Everything powered by Rotel.

The two-channel system consists of Nautilus 804 speakers, a Rel Storm III sub, a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp and a Sony 222ES SACD changer.
LL
LL
post #567 of 19393 Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Mids and highs were silky smooth. I was able to compare them directly with he 705s (another speaker I was considering) and like them far better.

Wow! Considering how excellent the mids and highs sound on the 705s, the CM7s must be really impressive if they sound even better than that!
post #568 of 19393 Old 02-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

This thread needs a little color. Attached are photos of my HT and also my two-channel system.
The home theater is made up of Nautilus 805 mains, HTM2 center and 601S2 rears. My sub is a Velodyne HGS 10 Serie II. Everything powered by Rotel.

The two-channel system consists of Nautilus 804 speakers, a Rel Storm III sub, a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated amp and a Sony 222ES SACD changer.

Maccur, awesome setup!

I especially like that Salamander Rack. Is that cherry or walnut?

BTW, how are you liking your 804S in stereo? Do they have enough bottom end without the sub integration?

See Profile
post #569 of 19393 Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM

I think the tweeter sounded better on the 700s than the CM7. Though the mid was about the same.
post #570 of 19393 Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Maccur,
GREAT photos, when you get a plasma and hang it on the wall, are you going to put the center on top of the Salamander cabinet?

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page