B&W Owner's Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Speakers > B&W Owner's Thread
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 12:50 AM 02-23-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

RC 1070 pre-amp, RB 1070 amp and RCD 1072 CD player.

yeah, these Rotel amps are good. I just wanted to have some reference as I'm considering getting CM7's and powering them with an NAD C272 (150W X 2).

The rep at my local shop ("The Sound Factor", Pasadena) sells a lot of NAD and Rotel. They really like both, however, seem to favor or push NAD. It was a close call when I was deciding over the RB-1070 and the C272. Although I would'nt mind having a RB-1080 either.

So what do you do for home theater? Do you use a receiver, with your RB-1070 for FRONT's? (I was trying to figure that out from your images)

I just purchased two additional NAD C272 amps (for a total of 150W X 6), and use a Yamaha RX-V1600 as pre-pro.

Anyway, I really like the crystal clear sound & transparency of the CM7's. Although have'nt got to experience the matching CM-Centre. I do like my Energy RC-Series, especially the RC-LCR (CENTER), not sure how the CM-Centre will match-up to it:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...age.php?id=270
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...age.php?id=268

petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 04:52 AM 02-23-2007
NAD also makes fine products and I don't think you could go wrong with either that or Rotel.

My HT is independent of the Rotel/B&W system. It consists of a Denon 2805 receiver, Klipsch speakers (RF5, RCIII, RB35), SVS 20-39 PCi sub and Pioneer DV45A universal player.

I got into the Rotel/B&W system sort of by "accident". I originally was using the Denon as a pre/pro feeding a Crown K1 amp into the RF5s. I then swapped out the Crown for the RB 1070 amp and thought that it was a better match when listening to music....and you can probabaly guess the rest....if Rotel was a great amp, how about pre-amp...then CD player...and finally...speakers that would match closely Klipsch, but do it one better.
ssabripo's Avatar ssabripo 05:29 PM 02-24-2007
well...I'm soon gonna be joining the family

802Ns on the way....should be in place by wed.

so any do's/dont's?? I have plenty of clean and accurate power, and immaculate source: Proceed AVP2+6 (mark levinson n. 40 internals) and a Cinenova Grande 5chnl amp (300W x 5 @ 4ohms)
bugly64's Avatar bugly64 05:50 PM 02-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I haven't quite figured out why this is so, but I know I am not imagining things.

To potential buyers: I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the CM 7. However, it does seem to be much more revealing of any flaws in the source material that you may not have noticed before. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something about which to be aware.

I didn't mean you or I were going insane. I was just saying that I hear things that I never heard before on other speakers. I was listening to TobyMac "Somebody's Watching" and I could hear a dialogue in the beginning of the song I never heard before.
Jonomega's Avatar Jonomega 08:48 PM 02-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

well...I'm soon gonna be joining the family

802Ns on the way....should be in place by wed.

so any do's/dont's?? I have plenty of clean and accurate power, and immaculate source: Proceed AVP2+6 (mark levinson n. 40 internals) and a Cinenova Grande 5chnl amp (300W x 5 @ 4ohms)

Do: Enjoy your music.
Dont: Lift with your back. Get some buddies to help you uncrate/move the speakers, then kick back a couple of beers

Nice setup! Please post pictures of your setup when its all ready!
ssabripo's Avatar ssabripo 11:12 AM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Do: Enjoy your music.
Dont: Lift with your back. Get some buddies to help you uncrate/move the speakers, then kick back a couple of beers

Nice setup! Please post pictures of your setup when its all ready!

oh believe me, I plan to!!

I will post when ready....right now, I'm just trying to finish my monster sub (teh big missile silo looking thing on the left)


petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 01:08 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugly64 View Post

I didn't mean you or I were going insane. I was just saying that I hear things that I never heard before on other speakers. I was listening to TobyMac "Somebody's Watching" and I could hear a dialogue in the beginning of the song I never heard before.

I understand. I find it amusing to read comments from other posters on different forums who claim that the B&W sound is too "harsh". Well, if by "harsh" they mean extremely detailed, nearly photographic in SQ with pinpoint accuracy then I suppose so.

These don't seem to mask anything. If it a bad recording, it will sound bad. If it is a good recording, well, that's a different matter. It would be hard going back to something less than this, however.
WestCoastD's Avatar WestCoastD 01:58 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

I'm just trying to finish my monster sub (teh big missile silo looking thing on the left

no way! is that for real?
rdad's Avatar rdad 02:49 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfunk View Post

Hi rdad,

...

The 603 sings nicely together with the Yamaha 2700 and it dosent sound bright
at all. The only thing iam not really satisfied with is the soundstaging thats because of my tiny studio apartment. I will not be too concern about it for long as i'll be shifting to a new apartment and there will be enough space for proper speaker placement to get the ideal soundstaging.

...

My advise is get what you can afford and maximise the money on a good pair of front first.

Thanks for the input Darthfunk and WestCoastD,
I've decided to go with the CM bookshelfs for LR and the yamaha 2700. My next purchase will be the matching center, followed by a subwoofer, then a good stereo amp. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll let you know how it works out once I get them and give them a workout.
ssabripo's Avatar ssabripo 03:07 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

no way! is that for real?

it most certainly is my friend!!!

can you say 117dB @ 20hz from one of them, tuned to 12hz, flat in-room to single digits, THD% levels way below 10%.....18" avalanche XBL^2 drivers?

here is the build thread::
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=756408

the Two Towers shall rule middle-ssabripo's living room- earth
advanced101101's Avatar advanced101101 07:14 PM 02-25-2007
What is required to drive the 703s? I have a denon 2807 and i plan to use the internal 6 and 7 channels to "bi-amp" these speakers, is this enough, eventually i plan on getting a seperate amp, maybe in like a year
Jonomega's Avatar Jonomega 08:22 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101101 View Post

What is required to drive the 703s? I have a denon 2807 and i plan to use the internal 6 and 7 channels to "bi-amp" these speakers, is this enough, eventually i plan on getting a seperate amp, maybe in like a year


You should be ok, unless you really try to do reference levels on movies. As long as you are reasonable with the volume, you shouldnt encounter any issues. A separate amp may have better control over the woofers, and would give you more dynamic range if it has more power available.
pbarach's Avatar pbarach 09:11 PM 02-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

You should be ok, unless you really try to do reference levels on movies. As long as you are reasonable with the volume, you shouldnt encounter any issues.

With all due respect, the idea of setting home speakers to some "reference level" for watching a movie is IMO pointless. One of the nice things about watching movies at home is that you can adjust the sound for your personal comfort level. I really don't like the typical movie theater sound these days, which includes WAY too much subwoofer action, harshness and shrillness, and a volume level that is frequently set high enough to damage your hearing.
warpdrive's Avatar warpdrive 10:14 PM 02-26-2007
I just joined the B&W owner's club with a pair of CM1's.

These are little pocket jewels of a speaker. Very nice for a 2 channel system in my small room. I was going to augment their bass with a sub, but the thing sounds so magical alone that I don't know if I want to dilute its sound, even though its going to do duty as HDTV speakers

http://gallery.avsforum.com/showphot.../24416/cat/502
Jake Sm's Avatar Jake Sm 11:54 PM 02-26-2007
Quote:


18" avalanche XBL^2 drivers?

Chad Kuypers?
Bar81's Avatar Bar81 03:26 AM 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

These don't seem to mask anything. If it a bad recording, it will sound bad. If it is a good recording, well, that's a different matter. It would be hard going back to something less than this, however.

It's even more than that, it also reveals the upstream components mercilessly. It's shocking how different the speakers can sound from one setup to the next. I was recently at my dealer's shop and he had some 802Ds hooked up to a Rotel CDP and the new classe monoblocks with silver wiring all around. Sounded HORRIBLE, it was hot as **** on the top end, just unbearable.

As to not being able to go back, tell me about it, Nautilus ruined me. Still the purest female vocals and piano speaker for the money, nothing else comes close imo. I tried as many of the speakers in the price range as I could back in NYC several years ago and was unimpressed. Also, personally, I like the fact that the 804s bass is tight but not overpowering. Looks like I'm gonna have to put the Era Design 4s back in the box as when integrated with a sub, the sub is just too overpowering even at 10% at the minimum level in my apartment. Just waiting for my Ayre CX-7e CDP to arrive before making the final call as it's not fair to judge without a quality front end.
ssabripo's Avatar ssabripo 06:10 AM 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

Chad Kuypers?

yup...he handmade them for yours truly!
Gary Angelo's Avatar Gary Angelo 09:57 AM 02-27-2007
Looking for a set of complimentary in-ceiling surround speakers for my 604s. Building a 7.1 system. My retailer is recommending the CDS6's. Any other recommendations from you B&W enthusiasts? Would greatly appreciate your expertise here.
CouchTater1's Avatar CouchTater1 05:43 PM 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101101 View Post

What is required to drive the 703s? I have a denon 2807 and i plan to use the internal 6 and 7 channels to "bi-amp" these speakers, is this enough, eventually i plan on getting a seperate amp, maybe in like a year

Hi Advanced,

I've had my 703s and matching center for a month, running on a new Onkyo 804 (which is rated at 105x7 max but probably half that all channels driven). With my Velyodyne SPL sub pumping away, listening to old CDS and watching old SD DVDS is pure joy. I'm rediscovering old TELARC cds from the 1980s that sound phenomenal. Even XM isn't too bad!

I have to say, I think I'm going to get a pair of 705s for rear channels before getting an outboard amplifier. For me, I think cost of an incremental (albeit measurable) gain in sound quality is better spent on more speakers. (Can't have enough of them.)

Did I say I love these speakers?

Best of luck and thanks again to the contributors to this thread.
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 06:45 PM 02-27-2007
I am a proud owner of a pair of 804S that I have owned for 2 months now. The dealer that I bought them from will allow me to upgrade if I wish. I have been looking at the 803S and trying to figure out what is justifying a price difference of $1500. The only differences I see between the 803S and the 804S are 1) 803S has a larger bass cone 2) the 803S has a larger cabinet. I am taking the larger bass cone out of the equation because my Velodyne DD18 is producing all the bass that I need and then some. So, now the only thing that I am seeing is a bigger cabinet which does not justify a price difference of $1500. I have been giving thought to going to the 803S; but, if that's all I'm getting for $1500, it's not worth it. Am I missing something? If I am, please tell me.
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 08:32 PM 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I am a proud owner of a pair of 804S that I have owned for 2 months now. The dealer that I bought them from will allow me to upgrade if I wish. I have been looking at the 803S and trying to figure out what is justifying a price difference of $1500. The only differences I see between the 803S and the 804S are 1) 803S has a larger bass cone 2) the 803S has a larger cabinet. I am taking the larger bass cone out of the equation because my Velodyne DD18 is producing all the bass that I need and then some. So, now the only thing that I am seeing is a bigger cabinet which does not justify a price difference of $1500. I have been giving thought to going to the 803S; but, if that's all I'm getting for $1500, it's not worth it. Am I missing something? If I am, please tell me.

When I auditioned them, that was the difference I heard. However, in my case I knew I was going to cross over to an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub. I actually, however, wound up going the inexpensive route and got the CM 7s which incorporates a nautilus tweeter and FST midrange. They don't look as impressive as their bigger brothers, but they sure sound good!
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 08:38 PM 02-27-2007
Are you saying the only difference that you heard was the bass cone? If that's it, do you know why that's worth an extra $1500?
Jonomega's Avatar Jonomega 09:41 PM 02-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

I am a proud owner of a pair of 804S that I have owned for 2 months now. The dealer that I bought them from will allow me to upgrade if I wish. I have been looking at the 803S and trying to figure out what is justifying a price difference of $1500. The only differences I see between the 803S and the 804S are 1) 803S has a larger bass cone 2) the 803S has a larger cabinet. I am taking the larger bass cone out of the equation because my Velodyne DD18 is producing all the bass that I need and then some. So, now the only thing that I am seeing is a bigger cabinet which does not justify a price difference of $1500. I have been giving thought to going to the 803S; but, if that's all I'm getting for $1500, it's not worth it. Am I missing something? If I am, please tell me.

I actually thought the 803s was "worse" than the 804s. I felt the 804s imaged better and wasnt as woofy as the 803s. From my audition, I thought the 803s had more of a bass hump around 80-100hz area, but it could have been room acoustics.

My next upgrade will be from Rotel to Classe gear, rather than a speaker upgrade. (I have an ACI MaestroXL for low frequencies)
Bar81's Avatar Bar81 12:09 AM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Are you saying the only difference that you heard was the bass cone? If that's it, do you know why that's worth an extra $1500?

I don't know about the new s series but I auditioned the older Nautilus 804 and 803 and the only difference was the bass, and it didn't sound better, just went a little lower. The 804s are where it's at.
Jake Sm's Avatar Jake Sm 06:59 AM 02-28-2007
Quote:


yup...he handmade them for yours truly!

I haven't talked with him in a while....do you know he plays Classical Bass?
ninja12's Avatar ninja12 07:24 AM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post

I don't know about the new s series but I auditioned the older Nautilus 804 and 803 and the only difference was the bass, and it didn't sound better, just went a little lower. The 804s are where it's at.

So far, I'm not seeing nor have I heard a justification for a $1500 price difference. I went in to the dealer this pass weekend to listen to the 803S, and I just didn't hear any difference between the 803S and the 804S. I had the priviledge to listen to both speakers at the dealer. How often does that happen. Anyway, I believe I am going to stick with my 804S.
scanido's Avatar scanido 12:23 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

So far, I'm not seeing nor have I heard a justification for a $1500 price difference. I went in to the dealer this pass weekend to listen to the 803S, and I just didn't hear any difference between the 803S and the 804S. I had the priviledge to listen to both speakers at the dealer. How often does that happen. Anyway, I believe I am going to stick with my 804S.

I went through the exact same dilemma and my conclusion was that the 803S is the better speaker not just in the bass region but also in the critical midrange. The highs on both are similar, but it ends there.

The 803S i found to sound more "airy" or open and fuller sounding. Since my room can accommodate the 803S i have decided to upgrade from the 804S to the 803S. Also, for aesthetic reasons I choose the 803S as the better match with the HTM3S.

Look here for more of my findings. Believe me i was debating this for over a month and finally decided to take the 803S. Since i had 100% value in my 804S I took advantage of the oppurtunity so that later on I would not think, what if i have gotten the better speakers.

If you can *afford the upgrade go for it! My new speakers should be in next week!!!

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24537

Good luck
WonHung's Avatar WonHung 12:53 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

I went through the exact same dilemma and my conclusion was that the 803S is the better speaker not just in the bass region but also in the critical midrange. The highs on both are similar, but it ends there.

The 803S i found to sound more "airy" or open and fuller sounding. Since my room can accommodate the 803S i have decided to upgrade from the 804S to the 803S. Also, for aesthetic reasons I choose the 803S as the better match with the HTM3S.

Look here for more of my findings. Believe me i was debating this for over a month and finally decided to take the 803S. Since i had 100% value in my 804S I took advantage of the oppurtunity so that later on I would not think, what if i have gotten the better speakers.

If you can *afford the upgrade go for it! My new speakers should be in next week!!!

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24537

Good luck

I don't see how you're hearing those differences. Looking at the specs, both the 804S and the 803S have crossover frequencies at 350 and 4kHz. This sort of indicates to me that the FST driver for both speakers are the same...not to mention the tweeter.
scanido's Avatar scanido 01:01 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

I don't see how you're hearing those differences. Looking at the specs, both the 804S and the 803S have crossover frequencies at 350 and 4kHz. This sort of indicates to me that the FST driver for both speakers are the same...not to mention the tweeter.

Agree, however the drivers are in a larger cabinet in the 803S closer resembles the volume of the larger speakers e.g; 803D, 802D, etc.

The general concensus is that the 803S will give a larger soundstage which i have heard first hand.

BTW, when demoing a set of speakers the inner pair will always image better.
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 02:48 PM 02-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

Agree, however the drivers are in a larger cabinet in the 803S closer resembles the volume of the larger speakers e.g; 803D, 802D, etc.

And that's exactly why I went for the 804S. The narrower cabinet should have an advantage for mid-high dispersion compared with that of the 803. Of course, the ones with the Nautilus head are significantly better despite the wider bass cabs.

Quote:


The general concensus is that the 803S will give a larger soundstage which i have heard first hand.

I didn't.
Tags: B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop