post #7741 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I View Post

Just curious but how much are N805's going for nowadays? I'm asking about the older 805's and not the sigs or the newer diamond series ones. I just saw an auction on Ebay end at $1800. It seems high considering 805's retailed for $2,000 5-6 years ago. I would have guessed they would be worth around $1100-$1300 or so.

B&W speakes hold their price very well. There is a big usd market for them. A lot of price depends on the condition of the speakers. Scratches and scuffs to the exterior lower the value, as well as issues with the cones. I bought a used, nearly mint pair (six months old, rarely used) of 805s 3 months ago with stands... during that time I was searching high a low for a good deal. I would say $1800 is a fair price for a nearly mint pair of nautilus 805, because a nearly mint pair of 805s goes for about $2,100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdika17 View Post

Need help, I cannot afford *New* 805's, but have be religously searching for used, do i keep the search going or do I go with the paradigm studio 20's?

I currently have Nautilus 805 and Nautilus htm2, for my fronts and center and am in need of some rears and eventually sides, i would like to go for some 803's eventually for the fronts, then move 805s to side and rear, but am having no luck in finding 805's in my price range.

Would the paradigm studio 20's be to out done?

This may be an obvious question you need to ask yourself, but I will ask anyways. Is the cost difference worth it to you? Paradigms are nice speakers and so are the B&Ws ( I own a pair of 805s and HTM3S center).

If I were in your shoes, I would keep searching and/or keep saving. If you mix and match speakers you will affect the sound that is generated as a whole.. considering crossovers, timber etc.
post #7743 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

I would buy the front 3 first and wait on the rears

Thanks for the response

post #7744 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I View Post

Just curious but how much are N805's going for nowadays? I'm asking about the older 805's and not the sigs or the newer diamond series ones. I just saw an auction on Ebay end at $1800. It seems high considering 805's retailed for $2,000 5-6 years ago. I would have guessed they would be worth around $1100-$1300 or so.

While it is true that B&W holds its value better than most speakers, you should still expect to pay no more that 70% of the original MSRP for a used pair. In this case, that would be $1400 for a pair that is 8/10 or 9/10 condition. But as with all things, if the demand outweighs the supply, the seller may get a premium for them.
post #7745 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Need help, I cannot afford *New* 805's, but have be religously searching for used, do i keep the search going or do I go with the paradigm studio 20's?

I currently have Nautilus 805 and Nautilus htm2, for my fronts and center and am in need of some rears and eventually sides, i would like to go for some 803's eventually for the fronts, then move 805s to side and rear, but am having no luck in finding 805's in my price range.

I think you would have to go with the Paradigm Signatures to be in the same league as the 805, but as stepmback stated, the issue is a matter of matching all of the speakers. Either go with all Paradigm or all B&W but not a mix of the two.
post #7746 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY613 View Post

so should i go with rotel? or would u suggest any other one.... one of the person told me that some speakers work better with some receivers

I'm going to suggest something different with my bias, of course. To me, modern amps are pretty much all the same, or quite similar. I also, like lots of dynamic power and headroom. most of the B&W lines, although not really difficult to drive just sound more open with reserve power. It could well be a bit of placebo but hey, I'll be honest. Also, tube Amps do have that classic tube smoothness, but the brands you mentioned are all normal non-esoteric stuff.

Don't get me wrong, different amps do have slightly different characteristics but not nearly as much as different speakers. speakers matter most. So, other than auditioning amps. (I kind of dare you to really tell that much between any one amp); this is what I would do. Spend the most on your speakers and then go look at Emotiva, Outlaw, or even the very fun used market on a site such as Audiogon. I run big Emotiva XPA's and am pleased as all get out. Before that, I used B&K stuff and a good used B&K amp will serve you well. before that I had a wonderful Denon POA and it too was great.before that an Elite Sony and a couple of Carvers.

Rotel is nice but a bit spendy. I don't think the Yamaha, Pioneer or any other receiver maker is particularly better sounding than any other. some argue in favor of Pioneer's Class D's. I think it's these EQ functions that make the big difference more than a slightly different and still underpowered amp section.

You also didn't say (or I didn't actually read) what the purpose of the speakers are. Primarily audio or home theater. If it's stereo and all digital, the new Emotiva XDA-1 and a UPA-2 look sweet. If they blow, you can return them. If you want multimedia, I am partial to Denon and perhaps an outboard amp for the fronts. yamaha is good as well, I'm just more in the Denon camp. Of course Marantz is D&H Holdings better line. Many people gush about NAD stuff. I guess this is less important to me than the speakers. Really, Rotel is not superior just because they distribute through the same channel.

Any discussion from others on how wrong I am is OK by me.
post #7747 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

Your level-headed and pragmatic response makes sense to me. Carry on.
post #7748 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

ok so i made a choice that my rear speakers will be in ceiling.... looks like i will go with the CCM 80's.... what do you guys think?

I use CCM65's, and I've been very happy with them paired with 703's in front. They sound very good.

The only word of caution: if the ceiling opens up to the attic, you will need enclosures - you can't just cut a hole in the ceiling and put them in place. Well, actually, you can, but you don't want to for a lot of reasons:
  • They will not sound particularly good
  • They will be exposed to the heat, bugs, dust, etc from the attic
  • They will be subject to physical damage anytime there is an air pressure change in your home (opening doors, windows, etc)

So you will need to buy or build enclosures in that case. The enclosures B&W sells wouldn't work for me (and are expensive) so I built some, using information available from B&W.
post #7749 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I'm going to suggest something different with my bias, of course. To me, modern amps are pretty much all the same, or quite similar. I also, like lots of dynamic power and headroom. most of the B&W lines, although not really difficult to drive just sound more open with reserve power. It could well be a bit of placebo but hey, I'll be honest. Also, tube Amps do have that classic tube smoothness, but the brands you mentioned are all normal non-esoteric stuff.

Don't get me wrong, different amps do have slightly different characteristics but not nearly as much as different speakers. speakers matter most. So, other than auditioning amps. (I kind of dare you to really tell that much between any one amp); this is what I would do. Spend the most on your speakers and then go look at Emotiva, Outlaw, or even the very fun used market on a site such as Audiogon. I run big Emotiva XPA's and am pleased as all get out. Before that, I used B&K stuff and a good used B&K amp will serve you well. before that I had a wonderful Denon POA and it too was great.before that an Elite Sony and a couple of Carvers.

Rotel is nice but a bit spendy. I don't think the Yamaha, Pioneer or any other receiver maker is particularly better sounding than any other. some argue in favor of Pioneer's Class D's. I think it's these EQ functions that make the big difference more than a slightly different and still underpowered amp section.

You also didn't say (or I didn't actually read) what the purpose of the speakers are. Primarily audio or home theater. If it's stereo and all digital, the new Emotiva XDA-1 and a UPA-2 look sweet. If they blow, you can return them. If you want multimedia, I am partial to Denon and perhaps an outboard amp for the fronts. yamaha is good as well, I'm just more in the Denon camp. Of course Marantz is D&H Holdings better line. Many people gush about NAD stuff. I guess this is less important to me than the speakers. Really, Rotel is not superior just because they distribute through the same channel.

main purpose is to watch movies, sports, HD tv shows, HBO, and some music at times, but highly doubt i'll be in the basement on the couch just listenning to music, but who knows lol

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #7750 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

This may be an obvious question you need to ask yourself, but I will ask anyways. Is the cost difference worth it to you? Paradigms are nice speakers and so are the B&Ws ( I own a pair of 805s and HTM3S center).

If I were in your shoes, I would keep searching and/or keep saving. If you mix and match speakers you will affect the sound that is generated as a whole.. considering crossovers, timber etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

I think you would have to go with the Paradigm Signatures to be in the same league as the 805, but as stepmback stated, the issue is a matter of matching all of the speakers. Either go with all Paradigm or all B&W but not a mix of the two.

So should i stick with the 800 series or could a person drop to the 700 or cm series?

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #7751 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

So should i stick with the 800 series or could a person drop to the 700 or cm series?

The whole point here is, all or nothing. You can't/shouldn't mix and match speakers. Either all the same line of speakers from Paradign or Bowers and Wilkins.

All a matter of preference and expectation. If you've heard both and find that the CM line suits your musical/HT tastes, then I personally wouldn't see the benefit of the additional cost.

The 700 series has long been discontinued, unless you are going to shop around for a used set.
post #7752 of 18824 Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You say you have 805s now, but can't find 805's in your price range. Are you saying that you have 805N's and you want 805Di?
post #7753 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Review to follow when I get time
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #7754 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid_T View Post

I use CCM65's, and I've been very happy with them paired with 703's in front. They sound very good.

The only word of caution: if the ceiling opens up to the attic, you will need enclosures - you can't just cut a hole in the ceiling and put them in place. Well, actually, you can, but you don't want to for a lot of reasons:
[*]They will not sound particularly good[*]They will be exposed to the heat, bugs, dust, etc from the attic[*]They will be subject to physical damage anytime there is an air pressure change in your home (opening doors, windows, etc)

So you will need to buy or build enclosures in that case. The enclosures B&W sells wouldn't work for me (and are expensive) so I built some, using information available from B&W.

I use ccm80s for in ceiling Surrounds. They are quite good. There are some very real drawbacks though. First, you can only angle the tweeter. I am bummed by this. When I went to Heights - In Ceiling, I ponied up a few more bucks (OK, quite a few more) and bought the CCM816's. These guys angle both drivers in a fixed configuration 28 degrees or so. This allows the sound to be angled perfectly to my seating area. Not so with the ccm80s. I also find the 80s to be flabbier sounding than the 816's; slower to react and just not as tight sounding. I know painfully subjective comments but it still sounds like it does. I do not have a sound box installed on these but there is the proper air space behind them that installation recommended.

I really wish I could angle the mid driver better to my seating area and really wish I had in Walls instead but if the solution that works for you is in ceilings, then your choice is a good one, just be sure you are comfortable with some of the limitations of in ceiling surrounds.
post #7755 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

main purpose is to watch movies, sports, HD tv shows, HBO, and some music at times, but highly doubt i'll be in the basement on the couch just listenning to music, but who knows lol

I would then recommend the Emos. Lots of grunt, not much coin. I have three XPA-1s and an XPA-5. Given a budget, and your layout, an XPA-5. UPA-5 or UPA7 might work. You could also get a Denon 3311 and then see how it goes. If you feel the need for more go juice, get the XPA-3 and offload the fronts to the external amp. Do you already have a Pre or Receiver. This would help in choosing. Note the UPA-5 is on a crazy sale right now.

I am fiddling with the new Denon 4311 as I got it fired up just a couple of days ago. If you desire going past 7..1, it's one nice beast.
post #7756 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-like View Post

Looks beautiful! Congratulations!
post #7757 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM

OK - here goes!

I set the speakers up in basically the same position as I had the trial 683s in a couple of weeks ago (2.8 mtrs centre to centre, 400mm from back wall, toed in about 10 degrees). I left my 685s in place and played 4 or 5 tracks from my Avalon SACD (stereo layer) just to make sure their performance was in the memory bank.

I then switched the speakers and started the disc again on pure direct mode. What an amazing difference! The first thing that struck me was the soundstage, it was huge and multi-layered in both directions. I had to check twice that there wasn't sound coming from the surround speakers. The soundstage filled my listening area and I could "see" and feel where instruments were. The clarity was superb with a rich full smooth character. I wasn't looking at the speakers because to my ear the sound wasn't coming from them, such a weird feeling for me as I have never had a really good setup before. It is so much fun picking up sounds you never heard before on tracks.

Initially, if I had to be critical, I would say that it got just a little bright at the top at times, but after a while this doesn't seem to be an issue. I played cd after cd for about 4 hours. The soundstage continued to wow me, during "Fade to Grey" by Visage, I could have sworn that the girl speaking French was on the couch next to me, whispering in my ear, it actually gave me butterfies in my stomach! The music just filled my apartment. All this time I still found myself occasionally looking around at my silent surround speakers!

It didn't take long to identify another amazing trait of the CM9s - the bass reproduction. It is taut, controlled and clear with absolutely no hint of woolliness or booming. I played some tracks to test the bass capability further. Some jazz, Enya's "Carribean Blue", a few Cure tracks from the "Faith" and "Disintegration" albums and Beyonce's "If I Were a Boy" which all sounded very average on my old setup and on some speakers I tested last week due to overblown bass. The CM9s handled everything I threw at them with aplomb, damn the bass is good on these speakers!

On my old 685 setup and even on the 683s, there was no real difference between using the analogue stereo from the Oppo SE and HDMI. I tried the same test today and it is night and day. As soon as I switched to HDMI the soundstage shrunk back to the speakers and the quality certainly suffered. I can finally justify the extra money I paid for that player and get the enjoyment of those Sabre DACs. So obviously the source has a big part to play in it all.

My 2 major concerns before these speakers were delivered were:
  1. The way my listening position is set up and that I wouldn't get full value from them without making some major changes and using the full length of the room.
  2. That I would have some bass issues due to the proximity of the wall and the rear ports.

Well, both these issues are now non-issues. Yeah, maybe one day I can move my setup to the short wall and perhaps get a benefit, but it is certainly not neccessary right now. The bass performance is just exquisite, so I can put the standby socks away again

I have heard some people say that the CM9 is a 683 in a nicer cabinet, after having both in my apartment I can simply say that is not true. The difference to me is phenomenal. Soundstage, bass reproduction, detail etc. is all so much better on the CM9s. And again, the difference is much bigger in my apartment than it was auditioning them at the store?

So my summary? Not hard to guess based on the above. These speakers are perfect for me, they sound even better in my apartment than they did at the store Imagine how good they'll sound when they've been run in! Tonight I will run Audyssey and test the home theatre aspect together with my new CMC2 and sub.

Thanks for listening
post #7758 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 10:45 AM

@Cat,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get your CM9's? I've had mine on order for 2 months now, and have almost the identical setup as you save for CM1 front-wides and DS3 rears.... after your review I'm dying to get mine!!! Thank you for your review BTW.
post #7759 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK - here goes!

I set the speakers up in basically the same position as I had the trial 683s in a couple of weeks ago (2.8 mtrs centre to centre, 400mm from back wall, toed in about 10 degrees). I left my 685s in place and played 4 or 5 tracks from my Avalon SACD (stereo layer) just to make sure their performance was in the memory bank.

I then switched the speakers and started the disc again on pure direct mode. What an amazing difference! The first thing that struck me was the soundstage, it was huge and multi-layered in both directions. I had to check twice that there wasn't sound coming from the surround speakers. The soundstage filled my listening area and I could "see" and feel where instruments were. The clarity was superb with a rich full smooth character. I wasn't looking at the speakers because to my ear the sound wasn't coming from them, such a weird feeling for me as I have never had a really good setup before. It is so much fun picking up sounds you never heard before on tracks.

Initially, if I had to be critical, I would say that it got just a little bright at the top at times, but after a while this doesn't seem to be an issue. I played cd after cd for about 4 hours. The soundstage continued to wow me, during "Fade to Grey" by Visage, I could have sworn that the girl speaking French was on the couch next to me, whispering in my ear, it actually gave me butterfies in my stomach! The music just filled my apartment. All this time I still found myself occasionally looking around at my silent surround speakers!

It didn't take long to identify another amazing trait of the CM9s - the bass reproduction. It is taut, controlled and clear with absolutely no hint of woolliness or booming. I played some tracks to test the bass capability further. Some jazz, Enya's "Carribean Blue", a few Cure tracks from the "Faith" and "Disintegration" albums and Beyonce's "If I Were a Boy" which all sounded very average on my old setup and on some speakers I tested last week due to overblown bass. The CM9s handled everything I threw at them with aplomb, damn the bass is good on these speakers!

On my old 685 setup and even on the 683s, there was no real difference between using the analogue stereo from the Oppo SE and HDMI. I tried the same test today and it is night and day. As soon as I switched to HDMI the soundstage shrunk back to the speakers and the quality certainly suffered. I can finally justify the extra money I paid for that player and get the enjoyment of those Sabre DACs. So obviously the source has a big part to play in it all.

My 2 major concerns before these speakers were delivered were:
  1. The way my listening position is set up and that I wouldn't get full value from them without making some major changes and using the full length of the room.
  2. That I would have some bass issues due to the proximity of the wall and the rear ports.

Well, both these issues are now non-issues. Yeah, maybe one day I can move my setup to the short wall and perhaps get a benefit, but it is certainly not neccessary right now. The bass performance is just exquisite, so I can put the standby socks away again

I have heard some people say that the CM9 is a 683 in a nicer cabinet, after having both in my apartment I can simply say that is not true. The difference to me is phenomenal. Soundstage, bass reproduction, detail etc. is all so much better on the CM9s. And again, the difference is much bigger in my apartment than it was auditioning them at the store?

So my summary? Not hard to guess based on the above. These speakers are perfect for me, they sound even better in my apartment than they did at the store Imagine how good they'll sound when they've been run in! Tonight I will run Audyssey and test the home theatre aspect together with my new CMC2 and sub.

Thanks for listening

cat-like -

That is the sort of stuff that makes this hobby worthwhile! I'm very happy for you.

Now, if you really want to take the sound to the next level, do what you can to furnish the room with more things that will absorb or diffract the sound. Like some heavy drapes behind the couch, a larger rug, and possibly a few sound absorption panels behind the speakers (google GIK Acoustics).

You have a lot of exposed flat surfaces that will result in an overly reverberant space, which affects the clarity of the sound.

To put this into perspective, "quieting" the room through absorption is the equivalent of achieving deeper blacks and reducing noise in video.
post #7760 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bronstein View Post

@Cat,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take to get your CM9's? I've had mine on order for 2 months now, and have almost the identical setup as you save for CM1 front-wides and DS3 rears.... after your review I'm dying to get mine!!! Thank you for your review BTW.

Only took a week, but I'm in Southern Sweden and they were in stock in Copenhagen (40km away). Sorry, I know this doesn't help much
post #7761 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You say you have 805s now, but can't find 805's in your price range. Are you saying that you have 805N's and you want 805Di?

HA sorry, forgot a few apostrophe's.

I have 805N's, looking for another pair of used 805N's or 805S's. There are still some new 805S's kicking around but are out of my price range therefor i am looking for used.

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #7762 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:

cat-like -

Now, if you really want to take the sound to the next level, do what you can to furnish the room with more things that will absorb or diffract the sound.

Hi Tim - yes I agree, have already been looking at Studio Accoustic Elements, there is a store in Copenhagen that stocks them so I will go over and take a look. I think that "brightness" I detect is a result of the bare surfaces. Thank God I didn't get the Dalis!

The COOL thing is that it sounds really good without treatments so anything else I do is cream.
post #7763 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HA sorry, forgot a few apostrophe's.

I have 805N's, looking for another pair of used 805N's or 805S's. There are still some new 805S's kicking around but are out of my price range therefor i am looking for used.

How about the SMS on-walls for the surrounds?

Here's a pair for $1500 asking:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....l-/-surround-s

The SMS are essentially an 805 in a shallow cabinet.

I'm still a bit confused though. You have 805N and HTM2 for the front, and all you need are surrounds, which you also want to be 805N, but you mention also wanting 803s for the front and moving your 805N to the rear. If you go with plan B, then you no longer need to find more 805Ns and the SMS would be unnecessary too.

I think the bottom line is that you simply need to save up a bit more to either buy the 803s or another set of 805Ns. I wouldn't go down to the 700 series.

What is your budget for 803s and or another set of 805Ns?
post #7764 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tim - yes I agree, have already been looking at Studio Accoustic Elements, there is a store in Copenhagen that stocks them so I will go over and take a look. I think that "brightness" I detect is a result of the bare surfaces. Thank God I didn't get the Dalis!

The COOL thing is that it sounds really good without treatments so anything else I do is cream.

I think it is a common misconception that reverberant rooms sound brighter. In my experience they don't, they sound cluttered and "echoey". Though the exposed window behind you may be reflecting too much treble, which could add some "brightness".

Oh, and it is quite clear from your description that you are happy with the sound as-is. I was only recommended the next steps to make it better.
post #7765 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Seeking opinions...because I am not good with decorating.

I like the sound of the CM9’s; however, I am not sure about the Gloss Black color. It seems that Gloss Black is the predominant color/finish sold. I have not seen the Wenge in person what do you think of this finish? I have an eclectic home environment with some Stickley furniture and cannot decide whether to go with the Gloss Black or the Wenge.

I know this is a personal decision but I wonder what your thoughts are with placing Gloss Black speakers in a non-modern room. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
post #7766 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:

which sub is that the 10 or the 12

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #7767 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I would then recommend the Emos. Lots of grunt, not much coin. I have three XPA-1s and an XPA-5. Given a budget, and your layout, an XPA-5. UPA-5 or UPA7 might work. You could also get a Denon 3311 and then see how it goes. If you feel the need for more go juice, get the XPA-3 and offload the fronts to the external amp. Do you already have a Pre or Receiver. This would help in choosing. Note the UPA-5 is on a crazy sale right now.

I am fiddling with the new Denon 4311 as I got it fired up just a couple of days ago. If you desire going past 7..1, it's one nice beast.

I have nothing!!! lol... i just bought a Pioneer Elite TV, so doing some research on speakers and receivers and brand between now and when i move into my house....

I decided B&W speakers, now have to figure Receiver....

Denon 4311 plenty of juice?

Pioneer Plasma 151fd
Oppo BDP-93
post #7768 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How about the SMS on-walls for the surrounds?

Here's a pair for $1500 asking:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....l-/-surround-s

The SMS are essentially an 805 in a shallow cabinet.

I'm still a bit confused though. You have 805N and HTM2 for the front, and all you need are surrounds, which you also want to be 805N, but you mention also wanting 803s for the front and moving your 805N to the rear. If you go with plan B, then you no longer need to find more 805Ns and the SMS would be unnecessary too.

I think the bottom line is that you simply need to save up a bit more to either buy the 803s or another set of 805Ns. I wouldn't go down to the 700 series.

What is your budget for 803s and or another set of 805Ns?

Ya basically there are 2 scenarios, ones present and one is future. I basically want to find a pair of 805's either N or S for my rears. Then maybe next year look at getting 803's N or S. Then ill move one set of 805's for my sides. So 805's now, 803's later all to become part of a 7.1 surround system. But for now i can only afford used 805's.

Budget for:
805N $1200 shipped
or
805S $1700 shipped

803N $2500 shipped
or
803S $3800 shipped

Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #7769 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have nothing!!! lol... i just bought a Pioneer Elite TV, so doing some research on speakers and receivers and brand between now and when i move into my house....

I decided B&W speakers, now have to figure Receiver....

Denon 4311 plenty of juice?

The 4311 has good power but as you look at Receivers, think about room size, speakers, and if you want to go beyond 5.1 speaker configurations. For good speakers, more amp power is often better, but you can get a Receiver with Pre-Outs and add power later or if you want some more reserve power.

So, as you look for receivers, look for pre-outs, EQ technology, flexibility, feature set. Power should be fine for any 12 by 15 room with any modern mid priced receiver and B&W. If, however, you will be watching slamming movies at high volume, you may wish for more power. Don't let a receiver sales person quibble with you on which brand has a marginally more powerful amp. They are all about the same between $800 and $2,000s. Off topic so go ahead and PM me with receiver questions or just go read the threads and reviews. Spend your largest percentage of currency on speakers first, then look at how to power them.
post #7770 of 18824 Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtyk9 View Post

Seeking opinions...because I am not good with decorating.

I like the sound of the CM9's; however, I am not sure about the Gloss Black color. It seems that Gloss Black is the predominant color/finish sold. I have not seen the Wenge in person what do you think of this finish? I have an eclectic home environment with some Stickley furniture and cannot decide whether to go with the Gloss Black or the Wenge.

I know this is a personal decision but I wonder what your thoughts are with placing Gloss Black speakers in a non-modern room. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Wenge is an awesome choice IMO and more versatile of the two in terms of fitting into a non-modern setting.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page