post #811 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 06:57 AM
adm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Yes...while I do like to use diffuse surrounds in certain situations, I don't like the 6's...they are , however, going to be revamped this summer. Will you eventually be doing 7.1 or sticking with 5.1?

Thanks for the quick comment/reply.

Not sure about being able to add two additional speakers because of the room configuaration. Our sitting area is an "L" shaped couch that has the back section leaving a 4' walkway behind it to the back wall onto where the DS6 or 600s would be mounted. The other leg of the couch has a long window behind it with a picture extending into the back area just before the rear wall.

The other option suggested by the dealer was to consider placing (2) 600s facing each other off of the side wall adjacent to the rear wall (by the two entrances) at about 6-7' off the ground aimed at the 4' walkway between the rear of the couch and the back wall that has two entrances.

However, the WAF weighs in on that one (going from 5.1-->7.1 with 2 additional speakers)

Guess another option might be to wait until the revamped DS6 comes out.

Appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 07:41 AM

I fear my aging 801's may be in need of repairage.

Can anyone recommend a speaker repair service? Specifically for the
HF / MID heads.

thanks

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

Support ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO
post #813 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes...while I do like to use diffuse surrounds in certain situations, I don't like the 6's...they are , however, going to be revamped this summer. Will you eventually be doing 7.1 or sticking with 5.1?

IT seems you have a couple posts portraying to have future plans of B&W.

Are there any new information for the 800 series?

See Profile
post #814 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My speaker hunt update. After reading up, and with the additional comments here like those from wb2fcr, I decided to upgrade my proposed system to the refurbed Rotel 1075 to the 1095, and the htm3 to the htm4. I got a quote on an entire system, and freaked out over the price. Decided to get rid of all accesories (3 stands, $1k of speaker wire!?!, interconnects, rack). I also realized by going from the 805 for rears, to the 704 towers, Id save a substantial amount, especially after including the price of stands.

I juuuuust might be able to swing this. wish me luck!

post #815 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Hello: I also get quite annoyed at the bashing of the 802D. Unless you've had this speaker in a room with the HIGHEST quality associated components, you'll not get the best from them. I wouldn't even CONSIDER powering them with less than 250W of high quality amplification.

The latest basher used Magnepans as his sonic reference...how drunk is that? I love the Maggies, but neutral they're not.

As a former musician and industry insider, I've always, I guess, preferred the B&W "British sound" Properly driven, they just sound IMO more like real music performed in a real space.

My system:
802D Front L/R
B&W HTM Center
KEF 107 L/R Rear (that's a bit of overkill)
Krell FPB Amplifiers
MCCormack UDP1 Universal Transport
MCCormack MAP-1 5.1 analog preamp
Toshiba HD XA2 HDDVD Player
Samsung 1080P DLP
Dedicated 30 amp line for AV.
Tice Power Blocks (2) Never Plug a Krell into a Conditioner
Velodyne DD Subs
post #816 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
ChickD1,
I understand your frustration, as I assume you meant replies like the ones over at the pre/pro thread. Please read my reply:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9985577

as I mentioned, many people generalize name brands because of their experience with one or two models, when in fact pretty much EVERY brand has a couple of VERY good models, and some other models that could use improvement.............B&W is no exception.

I am a die hard DIY guy, and actually dont like B&W much in 'general', but the 800 series (particularly the 800 and 802) is a whole different ball of beezwax! So much so, that I didn't hesitate to buy a pair of 802's instead of building the Avalon Eidolon clones.

When dealing with people who just generalize, you have to just take things with a grain of salt.
post #817 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

IT seems you have a couple posts portraying to have future plans of B&W.

Yes....

Quote:

Are there any new information for the 800 series?

No, they just redid them!

However, here are some tidbits:
They know they have a winner on their hands with the CM Series, and they know it may be taking some business from the 700 Series, but also are learning that it's stepping up many from the 600 Series, which is getting some major changes too fairly soon.
Looks like the 300 series will go away, and maybe the LM1's, too.

New three way LCR coming that looks very cool.

More to follow as I discover.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #818 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Liked: 14
It would be sad to see the LM-1s go away. The are a rather functional speaker, and I rather prefer them for wall mounting. I use them as surrounds in my main HT setup where they do not sound out of place with the N804 and HTM2 (sure, they aren't the SCMs, but I give priority to 2 channel listening and they rounded out the surround setup just fine for me).
I also use them with the AS-1 sub as a computer speaker setup. I can wall mount them at ear level and they dont take up any desk space. In this application, their size is great as well. Small enough that they image well in nearfield, and not so small that they are incapable. Though I do wonder how the CM-1 would sound wall mounted, it would be a future upgrade and certainly doesnt meet the LM-1 pricepoint...
post #819 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, sorry but I couldn't find a relevant thread in the amp section. Well, Im trying to "cut corners" to make this b&w purchase happen, and so I started looking at alternatives to the "budget" Rotel setup.

Has anyone heard b&w's (804s particularly) with Outlaw gear? The outlaw stuff seems that it might* be the better value, on the other hand, Rotel is made by the same company as b&w if I am not mistaken (?)

appreciate any response. If none, oh well, I'll be back anyways, hehe.

post #820 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat View Post

Hey guys, sorry but I couldn't find a relevant thread in the amp section. Well, Im trying to "cut corners" to make this b&w purchase happen, and so I started looking at alternatives to the "budget" Rotel setup.

Has anyone heard b&w's (804s particularly) with Outlaw gear? The outlaw stuff seems that it might* be the better value, on the other hand, Rotel is made by the same company as b&w if I am not mistaken (?)

appreciate any response. If none, oh well, I'll be back anyways, hehe.

Though both part of the B&W Group, Rotel and B&W are actually two separate companies. However, their products do compliment each other (if you check earlier posts, I have a B&W/Rotel setup).
post #821 of 18934 Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Though both part of the B&W Group, Rotel and B&W are actually two separate companies. However, their products do compliment each other (if you check earlier posts, I have a B&W/Rotel setup).

Hey thanks Peter. Yes, I've read thru most* of this thread (beginning was rough going, lol). I still remember your Klipsch and CM setup. Nice looking

Ya, so far Im not getting any big thumbs up on the Outlaw. But it would cost considerably less as well as being new instead of refurbished. Shoot, even getting 5 monoblocks costs almost exactly the same as the rmb-1095.

Could consider NAD as well. Anyone try these on b&w?

post #822 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Hey thanks Peter. Yes, I've read thru most* of this thread (beginning was rough going, lol). I still remember your Klipsch and CM setup. Nice looking

Ya, so far Im not getting any big thumbs up on the Outlaw. But it would cost considerably less as well as being new instead of refurbished. Shoot, even getting 5 monoblocks costs almost exactly the same as the rmb-1095.

jostenmeat,
I am in the same boat as you. I was looking at the outlaw stuff till i found the Emotiva amps. I am leaning toward the Emotiva because of the amp section which looks quite beefy and gets great reviews. Does anyone here have either the Outlaw or Emotiva stuff with their B&W's???(mine--DM605s2)
http://www.emotiva.com/products.html

I am looking at the Ultra series. Click on the amps and then the "expanded view" link to see the construction of the amps. They have a great modular amp also. Audioholics has a good review on them.
Rob

IF--if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they jump!!
post #823 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I previewed the 800 series before settling on the CM7s, but there is a similarity in the sound. Since all I have is the CM7, I can only base my option on my experience with them: they are very detailed and revealing (and if this weren't a B&W owners thread you'd probably have a counter-post describing the sound as "bright", "harsh" or similar derogatives).

I am also one of those people who believe it is possible to hear a difference between electronics (based on the fact I still have in my house HK, Yamaha, Denon, Crown and Rotel receivers or amps and have tried them with different speakers combinations).

Based on that, I would say that, if possible, get whatever electronics you want to try from a store that has a liberal return policy and decide whether the specific combination works for you.

Having said all that, I will add that even though I believe there is an audible difference in speaker/amp combinations, it tends to be more subtle than the differences caused by room acoustics. It is my opinion that you can more dramatically change the sound of a system via room treatment, rather than swapping electronics.
post #824 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am in the same boat as you. I was looking at the outlaw stuff till i found the Emotiva amps. I am leaning toward the Emotiva because of the amp section which looks quite beefy and gets great reviews. Does anyone here have either the Outlaw or Emotiva stuff with their B&W's???(mine--DM605s2)

I am seriously considering the Rotel Class D amps as I have spent enough time with them to become quite enamoured of their sound at all volume levels, and of their control. I may purchase their new receiver and use the pre-outs to the amp(s) temporarily until the new pre-amp becomes available and then move the 5 channel receiver to the bedroom.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #825 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

ChickD1,
I understand your frustration, as I assume you meant replies like the ones over at the pre/pro thread. Please read my reply:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9985577

as I mentioned, many people generalize name brands because of their experience with one or two models, when in fact pretty much EVERY brand has a couple of VERY good models, and some other models that could use improvement.............B&W is no exception.

I am a die hard DIY guy, and actually dont like B&W much in 'general', but the 800 series (particularly the 800 and 802) is a whole different ball of beezwax! So much so, that I didn't hesitate to buy a pair of 802's instead of building the Avalon Eidolon clones.

When dealing with people who just generalize, you have to just take things with a grain of salt.

You are absolutely correct, ssabripo The 800 series B&W speakers have long been used as reference for mastering classical recordings, and are generally perceived to be relatively accurate, and somewhat unforgiving of source material that might be considered compromised.

While it is true that we could nitpick about the tweeter in the earlier model 802's, the new D series has fixed the one vexing problem associated with the 801/802/803. While the diamond dome tweeter is certainly more relaxed, it is also greatly extended, and gives the D series a completely different character. While I did not personally own the N802's, I lusted after them for some time, always enjoying the balance, and the incomparable soundstaging, and stage depth.

When the D series was introduced, I decided that the improvements were sufficient to go the extra $4-5 k required versus finding a used pair of N802's. I considered the 801D, but that beast is hard to tame in most rooms, so I went 802, adding 2 Velo DD subs to gain access to the lowest octave, even though little source material requires it.

If the host of that other thread had done his homework, he'd realize that he either made up his knee jerk reply that the 802 is compromised in the mids, or he has been listening to planars & electrostatics for way too long, not that there's anything wrong with that.

In the end, I say read the reviews, and listen for yourself. Most of the reviews accurately portray the 800 series, even their minor shortcomings.
post #826 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chickinas,
well put.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #827 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Rumor has it that there will be a new, rectangular, true three-way, vinyl wrapped, FST midranged LCR out in the summer @$750.

Will this be for the 700 series?? I'd love to find something that matches the 703s a little better.

What are your feelings on using a pair of 705s for rear surrounds? Because of the shape of our room, they would be on bookshelves 10 feet behind the viewing couch. I can't get my wife to buy into wall mounted units (like the DS7 or the DS8s).

About my HTM7 issues, I moved it around inside the Synergy (pulling it forward a bit and aimed it upward), repositioned the L and R and reran the autocalibration. The sound is much better, but not "perfect."

Should I be setting the L/R (703s) as full band or cross them over? Should the crossover frequency for the HTM7 be different?

Thanks for everyones help.
post #828 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robollie View Post

jostenmeat,
http://www.emotiva.com/products.html

I am looking at the Ultra series. Click on the amps and then the "expanded view" link to see the construction of the amps. They have a great modular amp also. Audioholics has a good review on them.
Rob

Interesting robollie. Will you keep me updated on your search for electronics please? I am going to hopefully investigae this brand as well.

Peter, thanks for the input, again. That's a good point. Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much about electronics, and concern myself more with other aspect of the "setup". Decisions, decisions.

Schadenfreude, the dealer that I have been working with over the large b&w purchase has the opinion that the older Rotel models (when running b&w) sound better/warmer than the class D amps from the same company. It was easy to take his word for it because I don't think I can afford them Please tell me you if you pull the trigger on those and how they affect your setup.

jostenmeat

post #829 of 18934 Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will this be for the 700 series?? I'd love to find something that matches the 703s a little better.

No, new 600 series. Nicely improved.

Quote:

Schadenfreude, the dealer that I have been working with over the large b&w purchase has the opinion that the older Rotel models (when running b&w) sound better/warmer than the class D amps from the same company. It was easy to take his word for it because I don't think I can afford them Please tell me you if you pull the trigger on those and how they affect your setup.

I was somewhat biased against them when they first appeared as I had negative experiances with other Class D amps, but I am a firm believer now, and the guys at B&W and Rotel also agree , I am guessing your dealer may have some preconceived notions he needs to challenge, or else he hears things I do not. You should make up your own mind by listening to both.

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #830 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Please help- I have couple of questions-
Q1: Is 604 S3 worth the extra money over 603 S3. I auditioned 603 but my local dealer does not have 604 for demo. I liked 603 alot but not sure whether dedicated mid-range will make a huge difference in 604. On a diff note, in some reviews i saw 604 is very boomier and that's irritating at time. Is this correct?
Q2: Can someone please compare 603 S3 to Boston Acoustics VR2? Both the speakers are at the same price point but VR2 looks better on paper. Again unfortuntely local dealer does not have VR2 so please advice.
post #831 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Do all speakers have a very low volume hiss that comes out of the higher end drivers, like the tweeters. I've tried my old sockets and my new sockets and both have that noise when I put my ear up right beside the tweeters and the mid-range drivers. I notice it on all my speakers. Is this normal when you put your ears that close (I don't hear it during music at all, or when sitting at listening position).

Is it possible I blew something or damaged something in the speaker due to a malfunctioning output card, the damaged card emitted a high volume hissing sound similar to this one? Or, if the speaker were damaged, would it just be blown and not work at all?

Anyone have any ideas on whether this is normal, and if not, what it could be?

Thanks

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #832 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvban View Post

Please help- I have couple of questions-
Q1: Is 604 S3 worth the extra money over 603 S3. I auditioned 603 but my local dealer does not have 604 for demo. I liked 603 alot but not sure whether dedicated mid-range will make a huge difference in 604. On a diff note, in some reviews i saw 604 is very boomier and that's irritating at time. Is this correct?
Q2: Can someone please compare 603 S3 to Boston Acoustics VR2? Both the speakers are at the same price point but VR2 looks better on paper. Again unfortuntely local dealer does not have VR2 so please advice.

I went for the 604 purely for extra bass over the 603.. Both are similar sounding in my book.. The top end and middle are very similar... Really depends on what you listen music wise too.. I do not notice any irrtating sound at all!
post #833 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, the sound I hear is only noticable with no music playing, and from a foot or less from the tweeter. It is barely audible from a foot away, but I know what to listen for. It gets exponentially more noticable as you get closer to the tweeter (It sounds like a softer version of white noise - but the "softer" part could be that it is at such a low volume). I'm thinking it may just be line noise. Is there any such thing as setting up a system with zero line noise? By zero I mean, no white noise even at a few inches from the tweeter?

My Home Theatre
post #834 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Do all speakers have a very low volume hiss that comes out of the higher end drivers, like the tweeters. I've tried my old sockets and my new sockets and both have that noise when I put my ear up right beside the tweeters and the mid-range drivers. I notice it on all my speakers. Is this normal when you put your ears that close (I don't hear it during music at all, or when sitting at listening position).

Is it possible I blew something or damaged something in the speaker due to a malfunctioning output card, the damaged card emitted a high volume hissing sound similar to this one? Or, if the speaker were damaged, would it just be blown and not work at all?

Anyone have any ideas on whether this is normal, and if not, what it could be?

Thanks

If I put my ear right up to the speakers I have (Klipsch for HT and B&W CM7 for music) there is a faint hiss. This is true with the Rotel RC/RB1070 separates, Denon, HK and Yamaha receivers I currently have.

Even with a Furman professional line conditioner, this slight hiss is apparent at extremely close distances.

At full rotation, you will hear noise with virtually ANY electronics. However, unless this is happening at "normal" listening levels and "typical" listening distances, it is no cause for concern.

Now, not knowing your equipment, you can check whether or not you are doing anything to contribute to it. On most receivers, there are individual trim controls for the channels. If these are set too low, for instance, you may be needing to turn the master volume control up to a level where the noise is more noticible.

Of course, you may have an issue if these trim controls are set to their max as well. You might need to recalibrate with an SPL meter and a good setup disk to see if that makes any difference.
post #835 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

If I put my ear right up to the speakers I have (Klipsch for HT and B&W CM7 for music) there is a faint hiss. This is true with the Rotel RC/RB1070 separates, Denon, HK and Yamaha receivers I currently have.

Even with a Furman professional line conditioner, this slight hiss is apparent at extremely close distances.

At full rotation, you will hear noise with virtually ANY electronics. However, unless this is happening at "normal" listening levels and "typical" listening distances, it is no cause for concern.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I can't hear it more than a foot away, and it is only barely noticable at a foot away in a completely silent and well treated room. I figured it must be line noise which I can't do anything about. I don't have trim controls. It is just a faint hiss. I was worried it might be something worse because I had problems with an output card on my Surround Processor which was emitting really high volume static noise when I recieved it. Thanks again.

My Home Theatre
post #836 of 18934 Old 03-11-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I can't hear it more than a foot away, and it is only barely noticable at a foot away in a completely silent and well treated room. I figured it must be line noise which I can't do anything about. I don't have trim controls. It is just a faint hiss. I was worried it might be something worse because I had problems with an output card on my Surround Processor which was emitting really high volume static noise when I recieved it. Thanks again.

I have this same thing. Music usually covers it up easily. But Rotel Separates and Krell Integrated do the same thing.
post #837 of 18934 Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Hey B&W owners! If you want a good laugh, or if you're feeling contentious, and want to get into a fight, take a look at the "Best Pre/Pro" thread, which seems to be home to several deaf geniuses, who once upon a time probably read that early B&W 800 series speakers were a bit aggressive in the mid to upper octaves. Maybe they even listened to them! Armed with that dated information, they continue to spout crap about the entire 800 line, up to and including the 800 Diamond series. It's difficult to believe that they have actually done any serious auditions of the 800d/801D/or 802D, and still arrived at that conclusion. If anything, the 802D that I presently own, is somewhat polite in the mid-upper octaves, even though they are very detailed.

While no speaker is perfect, including the B&W Diamond series, I find it disturbing that people who might have heard an earlier version, or read something months or years ago find it ok to puff up their chests and make pronouncements that are blatantly false.

Having had access, as an industry participant, to many great speakers, including the Revels, and the Avalons, I would stop short of bashing those brands, even though they too have deficiencies. (I do not work for a speaker company)

By the way, and this is just my opinion, but it does seem to have a lot of backing, if you do own or intend to buy any of the 800D series, you'd be best served by considering the need to have lots of available amplifier power on hand, particularly if you intend to listen to music in 90-95 Db range, in-room. 250W minimum per channel. 400W ideal. It does make an audible difference. These speakers are VERY power hungry. My elecric bill increased by 15% post purchase.

Happy listening!
post #838 of 18934 Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chickinas,
it shows groupthink at it's finest.....we should all keep in mind that the vast majority of people posting here probably do more critical typing than critical listening.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #839 of 18934 Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

as I mentioned, you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Allimentall, while seems to have something against B&W for some reason, as there is no factual bassis for his continuous attacks without foundation, does offer good insight in other areas.

I just find it dissappointing that people are so passionate about a belief that they are williing to put that much effort in making their point, regardless of data suggest the contrary. As I mentioned in that thread that ChickD1 mentioned, I've never been too fond of B&W speakers in general, but really enjoy the accuracy and transparency and detail of the 802s/800s.
post #840 of 18934 Old 03-13-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Whole new 600 Series coming!

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page