B&W Owner's Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8371 of 19150 Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not to derail this but my downward spiral in B&W land has continued. I just bought some CM8s in gloss black (the finish should go with the Kuro 500M pretty well ). I got a great deal at a local hi-fi shop. Too bad they won't be here for a week.

Funny how it starts innocently enough with a pair of 685s. Then you buy some P5s for work (although I had to take those back as they were a tad uncomfortable). Then I get into the CM series. Hopefully I won't do something stupid and go for some 800 Diamonds in a few years :P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8372 of 19150 Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioN00b View Post

Not to derail this but my downward spiral in B&W land has continued. I just bought some CM8s in gloss black (the finish should go with the Kuro 500M pretty well ). I got a great deal at a local hi-fi shop. Too bad they won't be here for a week.

Funny how it starts innocently enough with a pair of 685s. Then you buy some P5s for work (although I had to take those back as they were a tad uncomfortable). Then I get into the CM series. Hopefully I won't do something stupid and go for some 800 Diamonds in a few years :P.

Diamonds! Diamonds! Diamonds! Welcome to the fun house...
post #8373 of 19150 Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Ha please don't encourage me.

Although 800 Diamonds in gloss black or tiger eye look very nice .
post #8374 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioN00b View Post

Ha please don't encourage me.

Although 800 Diamonds in gloss black or tiger eye look very nice .

Yes and my 800Diamonds in gloss black match my KRP500M nicely.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8375 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Hi-Fi View Post

Hi all. New posting the forum, but I've been lurking for a while.

Perhaps too early as I'm nowhere near being done with my upgrade, if I ever will be, but still I couldn't help myself from sharing a pic or two of my new babies. Taken right after unpacking.
Poor qual of course. Blame the photographer (me) and iPhone in combo.

Still to fix:
-My Denon 4310 receiver to come back from the workshop (don't ask).
-Power amp to be added when decided. Thinking Lyngdorf...
-Centre channel upgrade (HTM2 Dia)
-Obvious Sub upgrade. This one standing in as Centre stand!
-Cable management to be sorted.

Will post again when I'm getting more settled. They're being run in right now, and yes; they are the shiznit! Worth every minute of work to earn them!

What do you have the TV and stuff mounted to? I'm looking for a solution to mount my tv (wall construction won't hold it securely). I like what you've done there..
post #8376 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

There's one new KRP500M for sale on Amazon for $5K. If only........
post #8377 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Funny how it starts innocently enough with a pair of 685s
Don't scare me, I already own those, almost two months with them... well, you gotta do what you gotta do, someday in the future I'll surrender and get Diamonds

My Room (old thread)
My current equipment:
Samsung UN55D8000. Marantz SR5005. Oppo BDP-103.
Denon DP-300F. AKG K-550 Headphones.
B&W 685 (fronts), HTM61 (center), 686 (Surr), Velodyne Impact-12.
Playstation 4, Xbox One.
post #8378 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

There's one new KRP500M for sale on Amazon for $5K. If only........

Yeah. That's more than 3x what I paid for mine.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #8379 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastone7373 View Post

What do you have the TV and stuff mounted to? I'm looking for a solution to mount my tv (wall construction won't hold it securely). I like what you've done there..

Oh, it's real easy. Took me a weekend to make:

* Screw three or four vertical boards onto the original wall depending on how wide a wall you're making. I used 95 mm (3,8 inch) boards to make sure I get room enough for all the cables later. 2 by 4 should be perfect. Be careful to screw them into something that can bear the weight e.g. the wall studs. Leave a 6 inch gap to the floor and at the top for easy cable access later.

* Screw an MDF board onto the vertical boards. I used 19mm (3/4 inch) MDF slabs. Just make sure it's sturdy enough to minimise unnecessary resonance and thick enough to securely bear the weight of the equipment. I let the bottom slab rest directly on the floor.

* Screw drywall onto the MDF. Makes the wall smoother and less prone to resonate.

* Calculate where to cut out holes for the cables: make sure not to use a metallic tape measure if your equipment is switched on and you're using all metal bananas. Heh...

* Cut the holes with a hole saw.

* Fill, sand and paint or apply wallpaper to your liking.

* Mount the shelves and you're ready to start connecting cables!

I mounted a 1 3/4 inch board along the edges to wrap the wallpaper around the edges, and to let me mount a LED strip on the inside. Gives a nice, soft light effect when dark.
You can make endless variations to this: Isolate to eliminate resonance; mount wall sockets and speaker terminals etc. etc.

-Nothing to it, really!
post #8380 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Hi-Fi View Post

* ....Be careful to screw them into something that can bear the weight e.g. the wall studs.....

Hmmm.. yea that's my problem. The wall behind the TV is plaster-- attached to furring strips-- attached to hollow cinder block. No studs
post #8381 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had a pair of P5's for about two months now and LOVE them! They beat the crap out of my Klipsch Image X10s and my Klipsch Image One's. I'm strongly considering B&W as my next speaker purchase if and when I move on from M&K (or have the ability to install a second surround system)
post #8382 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 PM

So, after all the negative talk about the htm61, I had almost completely decided on the htm62 to go along with my 683s. However, I auditioned the htm61 at two different best buys, once against the 62 and once against the cmcentre. Both times the htm61 sounded more balanced with the 683s and both the htm62 and cmc sounded quiet and thin.

Based on my ears, I could have used a little better clarity out of the htm61, but there's no way the other two sounded better.

Is it possible the best buy demos suck? Any feedback from anyone who's demoed them both with the 683s? What did your ears hear?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I'm just perplexed after the demo.
post #8383 of 19150 Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Hmmm.. yea that's my problem. The wall behind the TV is plaster-- attached to furring strips-- attached to hollow cinder block. No studs

Could you attach a TV mount -- or studs for a "false wall" -- to the cinder blocks using some sort of bolt anchors? I'm picturing some sort of "toggle bolt" or "molly bolt" contraption that expands inside the hollow core of the cinder block after you push it in there through the bolt hole. The Sanus TV mount I'm using for my 58" plasma had instructions on how to mount it to several different kinds of walls, and I think one of them was cinder blocks. (But I tossed the instructions after I got my TV mounted.) I know I've seen expanding anchors at hardware stores that work in real concrete and in brick, but I don't know enough about cinder blocks to know whether something similar would work there.

-- Laura
post #8384 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob1733 View Post

So, after all the negative talk about the htm61, I had almost completely decided on the htm62 to go along with my 683s. However, I auditioned the htm61 at two different best buys, once against the 62 and once against the cmcentre. Both times the htm61 sounded more balanced with the 683s and both the htm62 and cmc sounded quiet and thin.

Based on my ears, I could have used a little better clarity out of the htm61, but there's no way the other two sounded better.

Is it possible the best buy demos suck? Any feedback from anyone who's demoed them both with the 683s? What did your ears hear?

Of course the HTM61 is a better match for a pair of 683's, the HTM62 is more of a match for 685's. While the CMcentre is a match for smaller CM speakers. The reason the HTM61 gets picked on, is at times its not a large enough center to keep up with the output of the 683, not that it isn't a adequate center for the 683's.

See this:
Bowers & Wilkins 683 Loudspeaker Reviewed

Best Buy doesn't provide properly placed speaker arrangements for the most part, poor demo material, receivers that have had settings messed up, that and you can't walk in and play your own material like a true Magnolia store. Their rooms are usually too small also so its hard to determine what sounds best. Yes you can go nuts trying to make a decision at a Best Buy.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8385 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

This article about the HTM61 describes how it has sounded with my auditions in BB and B&M store.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...-system-page-3
post #8386 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraWerner View Post

Could you attach a TV mount -- or studs for a "false wall" -- to the cinder blocks using some sort of bolt anchors? I'm picturing some sort of "toggle bolt" or "molly bolt" contraption that expands inside the hollow core of the cinder block after you push it in there through the bolt hole. The Sanus TV mount I'm using for my 58" plasma had instructions on how to mount it to several different kinds of walls, and I think one of them was cinder blocks. (But I tossed the instructions after I got my TV mounted.) I know I've seen expanding anchors at hardware stores that work in real concrete and in brick, but I don't know enough about cinder blocks to know whether something similar would work there.

-- Laura

Yea, using toggle bolts was one of my first thoughts too.. Though i felt that the plaster and furring strip would keep me from getting a secure hold on the cinder block-- and would end up holding a fair amount of the weight. It's possible that it would be okay, but i was a bit nervous about taking that chance with an expensive tv and my HTM61 sitting right underneath..
post #8387 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

This article about the HTM61 describes how it has sounded with my auditions in BB and B&M store.

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...-system-page-3

The 600 series has a larger center speaker that is less then ideal for mid-range clarity, just like the 683 has that nice mid-range depression also. This is a area where B&W differently needs to step up on their next revision.

When I was at a local BB recently I observed the salesperson was installing magnet tweeter protectors on all the 600 and CM speakers. Now that B&W is selling these at BB one has to wonder when they will start making a effort to protect the tweeters for people who like to have the grills off and have kids with itchy tweeter poking fingers. It must be costing B&W a bit to constantly send out replacement tweeters to the stores rather then design some kind of permanent protection? The last 600 series version came out in 2007 as I recall, about time for a another revision.

Oppo Beta Group
post #8388 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

So have you replaced your 802D's with 800 Diamonds? I seen a pic you posted over on the HTGuide forum but just assumed the 800 Diamonds were the review samples as I could still see the 802D's in behind them.

Rod

post #8389 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraWerner View Post
Yeah, it can take a while. Especially if it's trial and error, which is usually the case for me. I'll try post some photos and plans for the stand I built in the next couple of days. It's been a crazy week at work, so I'm just now catching up on non-work stuff.

That part was fairly easy. I cut a 1/2" thick piece of wood to dimensions a bit smaller than the base of the speaker, then drilled holes in it to line up the mounting holes in the speaker (a 16.5cm x 13.5cm rectangle if I'm remembering right). If you counter-sink the holes on the bottom side, flat-head M6 bolts work nicely for mounting and aren't visible unless you're looking at the stand from below.

I also saw a post recently, on another forum I think, from someone who found a pair of adjustable-height stands with top plates big enough to drill mounting holes for a CM5. I can't find that post now (it's probably in my browser history at work), but it's somewhere on this site I think.

My CM5 wides are a couple of inches higher than the CM9 fronts, because the one on the left has to clear a sofa. I haven't noticed any weirdness in the front sound-stage as a result. I kept both wide speakers at the same height, mostly for looks. I doubt it would have much impact on the sound.

-- Laura
It might have been my post that described the adjustable height stands (VTI BLE101 in black). I just got them yesterday and am trying them out. They seem to work pretty well, though I'd like them to be a bit heavier and would prefer a different knob on the post tension screw. I will be drilling the holes into the mount plates later in the next week or so. I'd still like to see what you came up with in case I change my mind. Thanks!
post #8390 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastone7373

Yea, using toggle bolts was one of my first thoughts too.. Though i felt that the plaster and furring strip would keep me from getting a secure hold on the cinder block-- and would end up holding a fair amount of the weight. It's possible that it would be okay, but i was a bit nervous about taking that chance with an expensive tv and my HTM61 sitting right underneath..
Any chance that you can secure it to the ceiling and the floor? If you've got a concrete floor/ceiling, 2 + 2 concrete expanders would surely do the trick!
post #8391 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataru074 View Post

For you and Hammie:
I use XLD http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html using the option to add to itunes for flac to aiff.
in itunes I just order the music "by kind", set apple lossless as import / conversion option in preferences.. select the aiff and let itunes do the job... at the end select all the aiff and erase them

you can also use max. you convert the FLACs to ALC straight with no fuss. then use the add to itunes folder as a kind of dropbox and it couldn't get simpler.
post #8392 of 19150 Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

and you can't walk in and play your own material like a true Magnolia store.

FWIW, i've had good experiences in this regard at the Best Buy in Mountain View, CA. I showed up with my iPod and a USB cable, and one of the sales guys let me hook it to a high-end Denon and spend at least 30 minutes A/B testing several different sets of speakers with different kinds of source material. During the busy pre-christmas shopping season, no less. I think there was a bi tof audio degradation due to the switching system they use, but it was still good for checking the relative quality of different speakers.

I think experiences at Best Buy are highly dependent on the sales person and the culture at that store. The guy I dealt with was obviously passionate about audio and home theater and was willing to spend lots of time to help me pick out a nice set of speakers. (The fact that he knew I was a well-paid engineer prepared to spend $4k on a pair of CM9s plus a pair of CM1s probably didn't hurt either. I think folks at that store are used to dealing with Google employees with much larger piles of money than I have.) The Best Buy near my house, on the other hand, seems to be staffed mostly by clueless kids, and I only go there if I know exactly what I want to buy and they happen to have the best price on it.

-- Laura
post #8393 of 19150 Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM

a few more pics of the new 600 series stereo & HT setup. Still in the process of figuring out what to do about the center channel placement. I think i'll probably look for a new av cabinet/tv stand that will fit the HTM61. I can't mount the tv to the wall behind it because the wall won't support it (plaster, furring strips, then hollow cinder block)

Anyway.. the new setup features:

683's
HTM61
686's
ASW610
Marantz SR8002

What do y'all think?

post #8394 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

If you can fenagle the room, the 685 as a center speaker blows away the HTM61and htm62. Not only is it about half the price, but honestly, it simply rocks as a center with the 683's. I use two 683's up front, and 685's for the surrounds and the center. While it may not match exactly the 683's, it is a serious contender for center speaker.

I demo'd the 61 + 62 at home and both left me thinking something was wrong with the center channel. Neither seemed to shine and then I plugged in the 685 and was like WHOA!...
post #8395 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

a few more pics of the new 600 series stereo & HT setup. Still in the process of figuring out what to do about the center channel placement. I think i'll probably look for a new av cabinet/tv stand that will fit the HTM61. I can't mount the tv to the wall behind it because the wall won't support it (plaster, furring strips, then hollow cinder block)

683's
HTM61
686's
ASW610
Marantz SR8002

What do y'all think?

Looks great! But you are right the center needs a new home in front of the TV

You could just go to the Home Deopot and have them cut out a few blocks of wood for you, frame the htm61 with it and use it as a TV stand for that lovely tv. I did the same for my 685 center.

I also use the ASW610. I love it, it takes a lot of flack on these forums because it does not live up to the PBS Ultra, etc... but it is a fine sub, make no mistake.
post #8396 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastone7373

683's
HTM61
686's
ASW610
Marantz SR8002

What do y'all think?
Looks like you have a winner. You should be happy with your Marantz + B&W combo.

Come to think about it I have noticed that there are quite a few people that are running their B&Ws with Marantz. Which is odd as some people don't like this combo.

Just goes to show that your ears are the final authority on this issue.
post #8397 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hello all,

will a yamaha rxv-657 run a pair of P6 b&w speakers? i'm thinking about setting up a 2-channel only system.

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #8398 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

If you can fenagle the room, the 685 as a center speaker blows away the HTM61and htm62.

I'm guessing turning the 685 on it's side would negate any upgrade in sound quality over the 61 or 62? Is there a tv stand out there that would accommodate an almost 14" tall speaker? I want my TV at near eye level and don't know how I could make a 685 work.
post #8399 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

683's
HTM61
686's
ASW610
Marantz SR8002

What do y'all think?

Don't you just love having to deal with a center speaker? Things where so much easier (and cheaper) back in the stereo days. If you think the HTM61 is hard to deal with, the HTM3S is much-much worse to find a stand to accommodate it, heh. You can always get one of those stands with a TV mount to where it's kinda like being wall mounted and you can actually place almost any center speaker on their top shelf which is actually what I'm probably going to wind up doing but I just hate looking up at a screen and prefer my screen just slighting above eye level.

I would also try to move those plant leaves from in front of the midrange driver of your left speaker. Probably doesn't do that much to the sound, but would still make me think too much about it.
post #8400 of 19150 Old 02-13-2011, 11:50 PM

Put the 685 on it's side
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page