post #61 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by govner View Post

not so related i suppose but for some mean contrabassoon check out anthony braxton's "orinthology" off the tradition album.

btw--que--how many dead tapes you have?

None anymore. I used to have a lot, but I always lost them or had them mysteriously disappear. Now I just collect Dick's Picks and other items of that nature. I don't even have a tape player anymore.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Move along, John. There's nothing for you here. As I've suggested before, simply start your own "I hate B&W" thread and have at it.
post #63 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Don't worry, I'm out of this one! I don't participate in "owner threads" for that reason - I'm not an owner. Carry on!

Well.. I guess this is your "Truth in Advertising".

John, their is nothing for you to sell here...

Cheers

PS: When talking about John in the future we need to come up a new name, like for Best Buy/BB or Circuit City/CC. How about GTFO?
post #64 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Do you guys want to talk about B&W?

I love talking about B&W. I often like to do it with like-minded people in a thread where we don't have to endure unwelcome Trolls.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #65 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt777 View Post

What is the B&W "sound"? what's different about it from other speakers?

This will differ from person to person. Critics may call it 'thick' in the midrange and/or 'bright' in the highs, to 'bloated' in the bass to midbass regions. Proponents of the 'B&W sound' will call it 'tight' in the bass to midbass regions and accurate to full and defined in the midrange. The high end will be described by such descriptors as 'clear', 'airy', 'free', and what not.

To me the "B&W sound" has been portrayed as the best possible representation of recorded music I've heard yet. Granted I've been severly constricted by finances but it's the best I've heard so far.

I would describe my Rotel & 604 rig as fairly tight in the bass, very juicy in the midrange (see my previous post on the actual techincal specifications of the term 'juicy') and clear and pleasantly spacious in the top end.

Those are my opinions and expressions based on my rig in my room. YMMV.
post #66 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 PM

Liked: 10
I have the 704s and considering a center channel. The HTM 7 is a bit too tall with the slanted design and i don't have much space. What do you guys think about using 600 series center with the 704s?

They both have the 1x25mm alloy dome tweeter if that matters. I know timbre matching is important for the 3 front speakers but how bad could it possibly be?

Anybody have an opinion?
post #67 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Alimentall
Don't worry, I'm out of this one! I don't participate in "owner threads" for that reason - I'm not an owner. Carry on!

John,
Follow your own advice
post #68 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppt123 View Post

I have the 704s and considering a center channel. The HTM 7 is a bit too tall with the slanted design and i don't have much space. What do you guys think about using 600 series center with the 704s?

They both have the 1x25mm alloy dome tweeter if that matters. I know timbre matching is important for the 3 front speakers but how bad could it possibly be?

Anybody have an opinion?

I would try to stay with the HTM7. Can you put it on top of your Monitor, or on a floor base in front of the monitor?
post #69 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Alimentall

Leave John... don't be a Troll
post #70 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't hate B&W, great company and *very* profitable. Just don't like the sound of ports, kevlar resonances, 10kHz tweeter peaks, etc. Anyway, my ears keep buzzing for some reason. Do you guys want to talk about B&W? Or me?

And this, AVS Forum, is why I hesitate to enter into discussions about B&W, good or bad. Guess I learned my lesson. We can't even have an owners' discussion in peace.
post #71 of 19134 Old 11-27-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

And this, AVS Forum, is why I hesitate to enter into discussions about B&W, good or bad. Guess I learned my lesson. We can't even have an owners' discussion in peace.

Maccur, don't let one pathetic troll keep you from entering B&W discussions. Just ignore it like you ignore dirt on the street.

I could fit the HTM7 but i will have to make changes in my components arrangement which reduce the neatness of my system or mount the lcd tv higher up on the wall. It would be much more convenient to use 600 series center.

I just want to know how bad it could possibly be if i use 600 series center with 704s so i can make a decision.
post #72 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I bought my first B&W speaker about a year and a half ago. I had heard the 600 series at a couple of my friends place (one of whom bought it just because it looked so cool), and had decided that I was gonna get a pair. I was planning on getting a pair of 705s, but I made the mistake of auditioning more speakers. Lucily the 804S had just come out, and my dealer was giving me a great deal on the old N804 in beautiful cherry red (yes, I care as much about the looks of the speakers as well as the sound). I bought home the N804 with an Arcam AVR300, and haven't look back since. After a about 7 months, I added a Velodyne DD12 subwoofer, and about 5 months ago I added a B&W XTC center speaker (the 800 series centers were just too big for my living room/TV setup). The next thing I am going to add is probably a pair of surrounds, but I can't decide on which. I care primarily about 2ch, so I will probably end up with a pair of XT2 to match my XTC center. What I really want to get is a nice 250 want McIntosh stereo amp, but that will have to wait...
LL
post #73 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone have much experience with the CM7 floorstanders? I was comparing these to the DM603 S3's.

I prefer the wider range of the 603's (more bass extension). Although it would be nice to have the real wood finish the CM7's have.

Would do you, the "world", think?
post #74 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post

I bought my first B&W speaker about a year and a half ago. ...

are those bongs placed on either side of your flat screen TV?
post #75 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

are those bongs placed on either side of your flat screen TV?

I wish...
post #76 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 04:58 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I don't hate B&W, great company and *very* profitable. Just don't like the sound of ports, kevlar resonances, 10kHz tweeter peaks, etc. Anyway, my ears keep buzzing for some reason. Do you guys want to talk about B&W? Or me?

In other words, you don't hate them, you "just" think they suck. We get it already. Now go away.
post #77 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 05:09 AM

I am looking forward to the CM7's myself!

Yes, I sell this stuff, and a fun job it is :)
post #78 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 AM

My sincerest apologies to every one on this forum except Alimentall. I hope most of you will come to see his true colors one day & understand why I got so angry. I fail to understand why someone would have a mission in life to do nothing but criticize. All he accomplishes is to turn people off to the products he likes. As you can see he can't help himself but to troll anytime anyone posts about B&W.

Sorry,
Killer
post #79 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTkiller View Post

I fail to understand why someone would have a mission in life to do nothing but criticize. All he accomplishes is to turn people off to the products he likes.

You got that right. NHT probably does make good speakers, but you couldn't pay me to listen to them as long as somebody like that continues to promote them.
post #80 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

Well.. I guess this is your "Truth in Advertising".

John, their is nothing for you to sell here...

Cheers

PS: When talking about John in the future we need to come up a new name, like for Best Buy/BB or Circuit City/CC. How about GTFO?

No one even mentioned his name which makes it all the more invasive.

My Home Theatre
post #81 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

I noticed that I hadn't seen B&W OWNER'S thread

Now seems as good a time as any
post #82 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 AM

Im not currently a B&W owner but hope to someday be one. I absolutely love the sound and look of the speakers B&W puts together. For my money I think the 802d's are the best looking speakers out there, and ahhhh I made the mistake of listening to them, now I want an upgrade. In fact since I can't buy a pair for well lets just say many years (future school teacher) im buying some swans for christmas because they say the sound is comparable. Keep posting pics so I can keep dreaming.
post #83 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Seriously, make it a thread about B&W, not other people. See if you can pull this off.

Prior to your first post in this thread (#7, in which you lied by claiming you would not participate), nobody mentioned you by name. The phrase "B&W basher" does not always refer to you, as there are others who fit that description.
post #84 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyosu View Post

Im not currently a B&W owner but hope to someday be one. I absolutely love the sound and look of the speakers B&W puts together. For my money I think the 802d's are the best looking speakers out there, and ahhhh I made the mistake of listening to them, now I want an upgrade. In fact since I can't buy a pair for well lets just say many years (future school teacher) im buying some swans for christmas because they say the sound is comparable. Keep posting pics so I can keep dreaming.

Don't think you can't be a B&W owner just because you cannot afford the 802s. The vastly more affordable 600 series offer at least 90% of the sound quality (though they do look a bit clunky.) If I had not had the funds to upgrade from 602s to 705s, I would have been very happy with the 602s for the rest of my life.
By all means give the Swans a listen, but make a point of auditioning some similarly-priced 600 series speakers before making your final decision.
post #85 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:56 AM

Will do
post #86 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Prior to your first post in this thread (#7, in which you lied by claiming you would not participate), nobody mentioned you by name. The phrase "B&W basher" does not always refer to you, as there are others who fit that description.

Anyone who wants to argue with me or tell me how much they hate me or whatever, please PM me. Anyone who wants to talk about "B&W bashers" in general maybe should start a "Bashing B&W bashers" thread.

Again, I've deleted my previous posts. Keep the B&W owners thread pure, talk about owning B&Ws.........

John
post #87 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Anyone who wants to talk about "B&W bashers" in general maybe should start a "Bashing B&W bashers" thread.

Now that is a great idea! I might just take you up on that one! (Of course, the moderators probably won't like it.)
post #88 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

Great to come across this thread. The last few weeks I had stopped even reading the "speakers" threads due to a certain poster/salesmen from Arizona who seemed to live to post his opinions as 'facts'. He actually argued about the sound with myself and others in a thread on the 802D's (when they first came out) even though he admitted halfway through he had never heard the speakers. At any rate it is great to see a place to talk 'safely' about B&W ownership.

I have a system based around a Proceed AVP, Rotel 1090 Main Amp, Yamaha Surrounds Amp. Speakers are Mains: B&W 802D's, Center: B&W HTM3, Rear: B&W 805S, Sub: Velodyne SPL10BGII. I couldn't be more satisfied unless I could afford a dedicated sound engineered listening room.

My B&W story only started about 2 years ago. I had collected gear for over 30 years, but only in recent years have I had enough cash reach a point where I didn't feel I had to compromise for the sound I wanted with the price. I had never owned B&W's, my last pair of speakers were Vanderstein's. After years of listening to speakers I finally decided the 802 was the pair for me. I bought my setup and was thrilled with the sound when I got them home. Needless to say, about 5 months after I bought the 802's, B&W announced the 802D's. I stopped by my dealer to hear them, and after a 30 minute audition, basically told him I had to have the 802D's. I traded up (even though only months before I told all my friends that I had just bought the last pair of speakers I would ever own). I have made the same claim about the 802D's except that this time I 'think' it will stick.

I think you were in the same thread I was in about a year ago where I mentioned that for the price and the performance of the 802Ds that you get what you pay for IMO. He then went on to vehemently attack me, not just the speakers, but me personally as well.

Hopefully he will realize he is breaking his own word and stop posting here, because a man is only as good as his word. Sadly, I doubt he will stop posting in his thread. He will always find some excuse to post, which is why he has the thread on his notification list. He can't help himself I guess. If he were going to follow through on his promise to stay out of this thread, he wouldn't need to have it on his notification list at all since what is posted here doesn't concern him. He will keep looking for excuses to post... Any posts made that briefly mention him are made because he goes around these fora bashing B&W and sometimes people who own them making it impossible to have a B&W thread where his name isn't mentioned.

Saying that he will post in this thread if he is mentioned is just a half-assed way of saying that he is going to post in the thread. So, even if someone posts here to vent their frustration concerning an attack made on them or their speakers by Alimentall, he will once again end up posting here, and will probably do so for a few pages at a time, like he is likely about to do with this current topic. Unfortunately he does succeeed at furthering what appears to be his agenda, derail our thread, insult B&W speakers in some way, and/or make the topic himself rather than B&W speakers.

My Home Theatre
post #89 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Let it go Queue, let it go............

Diamond tweeters are a good thing.

John
post #90 of 19134 Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

The vastly more affordable 600 series offer at least 90% of the sound quality (though they do look a bit clunky.)

They don't come remotely close to sounding like the 802Ds IMO. The 600 series speakers sound great for the price IMO, but making claims like the one in the quote above, and posting them here as if they were fact and not an opinion, destroys your credibility. They sound quite different and that is something anyone who goes and listens to both will notice. As to which one sounds better, and/or which is worth the price, that is something that is determined by the each individual's opinion and income.

My Home Theatre
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page