AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Did I ever post this here? I may not have, but if I did, my apologies

Looks like your Macs are gonna walk off!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Did I ever post this here? I may not have, but if I did, my apologies

Yeah and I called you a lucky bustard, or some thing similar, but it never get's old.

Djoel
Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey Chikoo, that is one awesome rig, very nice room too, if it were not for other priorities that is exactly what I would have, enjoy!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks guys....I wish I had this. I do not. I can only aspire to have this. Someday.....
Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
wait what? you posted someone else's stuff? ok......
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I think you mentioned that the last time, and then I took back my remarks, either way it's a gorgeous set up..I'm thinking of selling my speakers and take a step back so I can jump forward. Hopefully it will look something like that some day.

Djeol
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post

Hi guys this are a preview of my home theater and the test that I was made with them, Recently I borrow a rotel RSX-1560 from my dealer and the sound compare with my Denon was amazing, I will upgrade this soon together with a new Oppo BDP-95 and Velodyne optimun 10. I have new doubts that maybe someone could help me, one of them it's the crossover set up, Audyssey was set my front in large(obviously always does) and my others speakers in small, but I want set the crossover for the fronts with 60Hz and 80 Hz for the rest of my speakers; why most people always set them like small with 80 Hz for crossover if they can easily drive 60 Hz waves? Why spent money in speaker like 802D if I put only 80 Hz an above wave in them? Obviously a good sub could drive much better this bass output I know that but I want to know why recommend this configuration.

if you want see the rest of my HT go to http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...member=leo2498

Setting the x-over is of high debate. Personally I think it comes down to your speakers' frequency response, the amp that will be driving them, and of course the room they are in. Experimentation is key and only you can discern which you like best.

As a baseline, try setting the x-over 10-15hz above their lowest frequency response that they can do +-3db. You may need to set them at 80hz if you do not have enough amp power to push those woofers.

I started my 802 diamonds at 80hz because i felt my MC205 amp did not have enough grunt to push the woofers. This all changed once i got my MC601 mono blocks. I now set them up at 50hz. Much more accurate and detailed delivery of bass in unison with my F113 sub. Best part of all, the sub is much less localized.

See Profile
Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
I am almost complete with a dedicated medium size theater room and went to BB to audition floor standing speakers. I listened to the Martin Logan Motion 12 vs the B&W 684 and was amazed at how much cleaner, dynamic and accurate the B&W 684 were over the Martin Logan motion 12. I was so focused on how much i liked the B&W 684 that I did not ask to listen to the B&W Bookshelf speakers. Since I was planning on getting a subwoofer anyways, would I be better off with the B&W CM1 with a good subwoofer vs. the B&W 684 with a good subwoofer for both music and home theater since the speakers are about the same price? Would the CM1 give the same full-body sound of the floorstanding 684 or can they play as loud at the 684? I plan to go back to BB next weekend to listen to the CM1 vs 684 but wanted to hear your opinions. In addition, has anyone listened to a PSB Image T5/T6 compared to the B&W 600 series/ CM series? No store around me carries both brands so it is very hard to compare.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 View Post

I am almost complete with a dedicated medium size theater room and went to BB to audition floor standing speakers. I listened to the Martin Logan Motion 12 vs the B&W 684 and was amazed at how much cleaner, dynamic and accurate the B&W 684 were over the Martin Logan motion 12. I was so focused on how much i liked the B&W 684 that I did not ask to listen to the B&W Bookshelf speakers. Since I was planning on getting a subwoofer anyways, would I be better off with the B&W CM1 with a good subwoofer vs. the B&W 684 with a good subwoofer for both music and home theater since the speakers are about the same price? Would the CM1 give the same full-body sound of the floorstanding 684 or can they play as loud at the 684? I plan to go back to BB next weekend to listen to the CM1 vs 684 but wanted to hear your opinions. In addition, has anyone listened to a PSB Image T5/T6 compared to the B&W 600 series/ CM series? No store around me carries both brands so it is very hard to compare.

Also, compare the 684's with the 683's. I heard a significant sound improvement in the 683's when I A/B'd them (at BB).
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

In addition, has anyone listened to a PSB Image T5/T6 compared to the B&W 600 series/ CM series? No store around me carries both brands so it is very hard to compare.

I listened to the PSB T5 and T6 and thought they sounded very harsh, especially driven without a sub. The highs seemed to be washed out by the mids and the lows were not very good by themselves. When the dealer introduced a sub into the mix, it helped tremendously with the sound. I did not compare them to the 68X line but to the CM line instead and liked the CM line (and Paradigm Studio line) better.

Its been a toss-up for me between the CM or Studio but my wife liked the CMs better so thats probably what we'll end up with.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

I listened to the PSB T5 and T6 and thought they sounded very harsh, especially driven without a sub. The highs seemed to be washed out by the mids and the lows were not very good by themselves. When the dealer introduced a sub into the mix, it helped tremendously with the sound. I did not compare them to the 68X line but to the CM line instead and liked the CM line (and Paradigm Studio line) better.

Its been a toss-up for me between the CM or Studio but my wife liked the CMs better so thats probably what we'll end up with.

There is a store by me that sells B&W and is phasing-out Paradigms. I will see if they have any Paradigm studios left that I can compare to the B&W. In your opinion the paradigm studios have the crisp clear highs like the CM line?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

Setting the x-over is of high debate. Personally I think it comes down to your speakers' frequency response, the amp that will be driving them, and of course the room they are in. Experimentation is key and only you can discern which you like best.

As a baseline, try setting the x-over 10-15hz above their lowest frequency response that they can do +-3db. You may need to set them at 80hz if you do not have enough amp power to push those woofers.

I started my 802 diamonds at 80hz because i felt my MC205 amp did not have enough grunt to push the woofers. This all changed once i got my MC601 mono blocks. I now set them up at 50hz. Much more accurate and detailed delivery of bass in unison with my F113 sub. Best part of all, the sub is much less localized.

Hi Scanido, thanks for your input. do you think that the RB-1582(2x200W) could drive the 804D(Frequency response 38Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis) and maybe 60 Hz for xover could be fine?

Leo,
Saludos
My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Channel Denon AVR 3310, A31 parasound center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD
Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Yamaha AVR663 amp, Rotel RB1582.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

There is a store by me that sells B&W and is phasing-out Paradigms. I will see if they have any Paradigm studios left that I can compare to the B&W. In your opinion the paradigm studios have the crisp clear highs like the CM line?

I felt that both the CMs and the Studios have crisp clear highs, but the Studios were just a tad brighter. I used the song "Bright Lights" by Ellie Goulding to A/B them. (and others, but that one song has a good mix of everything).

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post

wait what? you posted someone else's stuff? ok......

This is a Best Buy Magnolia Room.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

This is a Best Buy Magnolia Room.

None of the Magnolia setups look like that around here.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked05 View Post

It's because it is a Magnolia Design Center. Its a store within a store and not a part of the normal Home Entertainment department. These stores are rare.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in NYC and you would think they're be something like the above around here, I haven't seen anything like that here either.

DJoel
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'm in NYC and you would think they're be something like the above around here, I haven't seen anything like that here either.

DJoel

They are very common in Chicago
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

It's because it is a Magnolia Design Center. Its a store within a store and not a part of the normal Home Entertainment department. These stores are rare.

Best Buy in Grapevine, TX. It's badass.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We have one of those here in San Jose, CA and they are going to open more Magnolia Design Center.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2498 View Post

Hi Scanido, thanks for your input. do you think that the RB-1582(2x200W) could drive the 804D(Frequency response 38Hz - 28kHz ±3dB on reference axis) and maybe 60 Hz for xover could be fine?

That amp can surely drive them at 60hz, but I would go 70-80hz as it will leave you more headroom on any dynamic transients.

Again, this may depend on the variables i mentioned. You need to experiment to hear what works best. If you got a sub you'll need to calibrate on each x-over change.

See Profile
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are very common in Chicago

We have Magnolia in NYC too, just not like that in the picture, and never seen a 800D in any of them.

Djoel
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

We have Magnolia in NYC too, just not like that in the picture, and never seen a 800D in any of them.

Djoel

This is Best Buy in Dallas off 75 (Northpark)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Can anyone comment on the newly redesigned M1s? I need a new 2.1 system and am considering these or something like the focal domes or even orbs...

Appreciate the input
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

This is Best Buy in Dallas off 75 (Northpark)

Really? Looks like I need to pay them a visit. None of the Magnolia Centers in Mckinney, Allen, Plano, or Frisco have anything higher than B&W 600 series and Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz receivers.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Really? Looks like I need to pay them a visit. None of the Magnolia Centers in Mckinney, Allen, Plano, or Frisco have anything higher than B&W 600 series and Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz receivers.

The one in plano off 75 has the CM line, but yea the northpark one is their flagship store for DFW. Carries all the nice toys.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Frisco BB/Magnolia does carry the CM series in store (600 & CM but that's it). FWIW I bought my B&W's from a different local retailer that has entire line in store.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:39 PM

I got all my speakers from modia, liked working w/ them much more than with BB
Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker36 View Post

I got all my speakers from modia, liked working w/ them much more than with BB

Not that it's imporatant, "you know service is usually key from store like Modia" But did you get any percentage off?

Djoel

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090