Forum Jump: 

post #10951 of 19244 Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

The Onkyo has 7.1. I am not using the back surrounds in the HT, but rather using them to power outside zone 2. Is it possible to use them for front effect speakers. When I run the speaker calibration would it recognize what I am doing. I am guessing not.

Not sure what model you have, but i believe some of the 7.1 that handle back surrounds, can be retasked to use front presence/height speakers, in which case, I would imagine that calibration should account for it.

I know this doesn't really help, but the a1000 has a choice for surround backs or bi-amping the fronts, and Zone 2 or Front presence. in both cases YPAO knows if they are in use or not.

If you post your model number, hopefully some Onkyo owners can chime in here and help you more...or better yet, bring this up in the Onkyo thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 19244 Old 04-22-2012, 03:19 PM

I have found and buy a pair of XT8. I also have the Sony STR-DN2010 receiver (output 7x100).
1. Can i Bi-amp the XT8s? Because they have only one pair of inputs. And how ? (the sony have the possibility of Bi-Amp)
2. Do you think i can use a pre-amp? If yes, what?
Room 6x6 meters with m-1 center and back+sub AW608.
Thanks....
post #10953 of 19244 Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Thank you Sofast1! The guy at the store said an integrated amp wouldn't work. But I didn't have a whole lot of confidence that he knew 100% what he was talking about, unfortunately. He said only another receiver would work. Are you sure your suggestion re. the integrated amp and outs to aux etc. will work? I have till April 1st to get this all sorted out so I just want to make sure I make the right decision. I'm really surprised by how each stereo person I talk to gives a totally different piece of advice than the one before...it's getting really hard to know who to believe!
Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofast1 View Post

Buy an integrated amp. Connect the zone 2 outs on the MRX 500 to the aux(or any line level) input on the amp. Connect the speaker leads for zone 2 to the integrated amp. The volume,balance and tone controls on the amp will affect zone 2. Plenty of used integrated amps on ebay,no need for high end to drive two in-ceiling speakers. You will also have the option of connecting any source to the amp and playing it in zone 2 while the MRX 500 plays something else in the main zone.

post #10954 of 19244 Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 PM

Sofast1 - thank you for being so helpful. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

If you leave the amp set to the input(on the amp) the MRX 500 is connected to,it will play whatever the MRX 500 is sending to zone 2. On ebay you can find a 100 watt per ch. Pioneer,Sansui,Yamaha,Kenwood etc. integrated amp for a couple hundred bucks or less. It's more a matter of age,condition and sellers feedback than brand. Do not buy a NAD integrated amp;it's very good stuff but their tone controls have a small range,might not give you the boost you want. Also be sure you're not buying something that came out of a rack system. Audiogon will have better stuff but cost more. As I said before,you really don't need high-end to drive a pair of ceiling speakers,but realize at their best they won't sound as good as a pair of good bookshelf speakers. Any chance of hiding a small sub in the room? And yes,the amp can go above,below or next to the MRX 500. The proximity of the amp is only limited by the length of the patch cord.

post #10955 of 19244 Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresse View Post

Thank you Sofast1! The guy at the store said an integrated amp wouldn't work. But I didn't have a whole lot of confidence that he knew 100% what he was talking about, unfortunately. He said only another receiver would work. Are you sure your suggestion re. the integrated amp and outs to aux etc. will work? I have till April 1st to get this all sorted out so I just want to make sure I make the right decision. I'm really surprised by how each stereo person I talk to gives a totally different piece of advice than the one before...it's getting really hard to know who to believe!
Thanks again...

The only difference between a receiver and an integrated amp is the AM/FM tuner. A receiver would allow you to play the radio in zone 2 while playing another source in the main zone. That's the only difference between using a receiver or an integrated amp. Actually, you may be able to buy a receiver for less than an integrated amp because there are so many more of them out there. I don't listen to OTA radio(love my Squeezebox) and think an integrated amp would look cooler,but a receiver would work as well.
post #10956 of 19244 Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 PM

What is everyones estimate of the longevity of the CM line? Meaning, is it likely to be sold a while longer or are they moving on to something else?

I've noticed the Best Buy stock of B&W in my area seems to be non-existent at least online.
post #10957 of 19244 Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

I am driving my CM9/CMC2/DS3 with a marantz SR6006. All channel mode sounds ok ( actually in my ears :-) ) as I am too close the rear speakers but the 2 channel stereo mode sounds very anemic.

I am considering buying an Emotiva XPA-5 to my setup and just wanted to check if others too recommend adding this amp to enhance the soundstage and impact or am I going in the wrong direction?

It would be good to know if any one is running CM9s with Emotive XPA-3/XPA-5 amp

Thanks
post #10958 of 19244 Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmt2000 View Post

I am driving my CM9/CMC2/DS3 with a marantz SR6006. All channel mode sounds ok ( actually in my ears :-) ) as I am too close the rear speakers but the 2 channel stereo mode sounds very anemic.

I am considering buying an Emotiva XPA-5 to my setup and just wanted to check if others too recommend adding this amp to enhance the soundstage and impact or am I going in the wrong direction?

It would be good to know if any one is running CM9s with Emotive XPA-3/XPA-5 amp

Thanks

Well your Marantz lists it's spec's oddly on their web page, response and THD listed for 2ch, but it says 110w x7. I'll relate an experience I had auditioning rears. I was in my local AV store auditioning the CM1 and CM5 for use as rears for my CMC2/CM9's. They were using an upper mid range Denon receiver to drive a pair of CM9's, a CMC, and then the rears I was auditioning. A sub was hooked up part of the time. We used some multi channel discs (Pink Floyd's immersion DSotM and WYYWH) and a couple Blu Ray concerts. At the end of the night we A/B'd the CM9's vs. some much more expensive Pioneer speakers with a couple 2ch songs from an Evening with David Gilmour (hey we were in a Pink Floyd mood, sue us).

I ended up getting the CM5's for the rears. After setting them up at home and running Audyssey I gave them a listen. Granted the rooms are different and the CMC2 is a far better center to my ears, but I was struck with how much better the same material sounded on my Integra 9.9 paired with a Rotel RMB 1075. The mid range was more prevalent and it just had more detail overall. The soundstage was wider and seamless, but again the better center makes this a non apples to apples with the 5.1 mixes. Still DSotM in quad and the 24/96 2ch from the Gilmour DVD both sounded better for the reasons I mention.

Here's where this gets tricky. Is the difference the amp? The room? The processor? The sub? My brain? The room would favor the AV store. I've battled taming my basement and a sweetheart it isn't. As far as the processor goes the Integra is nice, but with it being a few years old I would imagine the Denon receiver is probably pretty close. Both feature Audyssey and except for engaging pure direct during the demo a few times, it was being used. Sub wise the material I can directly compare isn't terribly bass heavy (and on the 2ch I compared with the sub out of the mix) so it honestly doesn't figure much into the comparison. So we're left with the amp or my brain. I try to be honest about my own setup, but hey who knows what trick the subconscious can play. So the best I can say is that I wasn't knowingly trying to find differences in my own setups favor. I was actually surprised to find any. So my own conclusion is that at the higher listening levels the extra oomph from the Rotel was making a positive difference I could hear.

Before you spend the money on an amp have you experimented with pulling out the plugs on the CM9's? I leave them in because they tighten up the mid range and bass at the expense of low end extension. Since I am using a sub, that makes sense for my setup. However if you are listening to pure 2ch (I usually use the sub even for 2ch) you may consider removing them (if you haven't already).

post #10959 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
adding an amp just won't do it without adding a good pre pro. I would try some different settings on the Marantz first as their receivers are very good with music as compared to some of the other AV's out there.
post #10960 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 AM

well I was recommended Integra 50.3 by the audio store but I wanted to get a decent receiver and add an amp later on if required to save some $$$.

I did not mention earlier but I am using a Rythmik F15 as a sub and have plugged the ports in my CM9s. spoke to emotiva sales person who said seperates are always better and wanted me to try an xpa3 or xpa5 and see the difference.
post #10961 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM

You already have a decent receiver no? It just needs a little help driving the cm9s for two channel listening. . I could be wrong, but think most ~1k AVRs could use a little help when it comes b&w. I added the rotel rb 1582 which made all the difference to my a1000 and cm8 mains . If you find your 2 channel amp doesn't help which would really surprise me, or want to upgrade down the road, then get e better avr or pro/pro. but your two channel amp will always be useful. THEN,even further down the road add a 3 or 5 channel amp to boost you multichannel listening. 5 channel leaves a door open for 7.1 or 7.2. Unless you're opposed to it you could be in separates before you know it.

Then again. It's always easier spending someone else's hard earned cash. : )
post #10962 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

well I was recommended Integra 50.3 by the audio store but I wanted to get a decent receiver and add an amp later on if required to save some $$$.

I did not mention earlier but I am using a Rythmik F15 as a sub and have plugged the ports in my CM9s. spoke to emotiva sales person who said seperates are always better and wanted me to try an xpa3 or xpa5 and see the difference.

Both parties are selling you something, so their motives are going to be somewhat suspect. If it were me, I would try adding an Xpa3 into the mix. If there is an amp deficiency it will be pretty apparent once you hook that up. I would recommend the 3ch over a 2ch because it will keep the front 3 channels consistent for movies and multichannel music\\concerts. The center does a lot of the work and to me it's at least as important as the L/R.

My guess is that the Marantz will work fine as a processor. There is a reason why they are rating the amp section on that receiver oddly on their website, so that seems like a good suspect. If you're still unhappy after getting the Emotiva, ask your AV store if you can demo the Integra.

post #10963 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM

I have a center speaker LCR3 S2. I'm assuming during an electrical storm, my speaker was "damaged." I took it apart and the copper cables leading to the terminals. One of the speakers terminals, where the copper cable connects requires for me to bend in order to work. The other speaker, the same cable seems as it burned clean from the terminal post. Both of them work perfectly if I bend or make the cable to connect. Not sure if this is something I want to repair myself, or bring to a dealership that would fix the issue. I have looked and asked around and nobody sells those particular copper cables. I want to keep the sound quality intact, therefore, I do not want to just put any piece of wire. Also afraid that the temperature (if soldiering) will have an effect. Please advise of a reputable location in the Indianapolis greater area that may help me with this. If I must ship to a known repairer or I may just do at the house as long as the sound quality and integrity of the speaker will not be altered.... Thank you...

Denon 1800
B & W 605's, 684's.
post #10964 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Liked: 25
I have two htm2's that the mid bass is blown. They are part #lf zz11460 does any one know where I can get these or a suitable substitute.

Thanks
Barry
post #10965 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post

I have two htm2's that the mid bass is blown. They are part #lf zz11460 does any one know where I can get these or a suitable substitute.

Thanks
Barry

Here; http://bwgroup-support.com/partspriceavail.html
post #10966 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX605 View Post

I have a center speaker LCR3 S2. I'm assuming during an electrical storm, my speaker was "damaged." I took it apart and the copper cables leading to the terminals. One of the speakers terminals, where the copper cable connects requires for me to bend in order to work. The other speaker, the same cable seems as it burned clean from the terminal post. Both of them work perfectly if I bend or make the cable to connect. Not sure if this is something I want to repair myself, or bring to a dealership that would fix the issue. I have looked and asked around and nobody sells those particular copper cables. I want to keep the sound quality intact, therefore, I do not want to just put any piece of wire. Also afraid that the temperature (if soldiering) will have an effect. Please advise of a reputable location in the Indianapolis greater area that may help me with this. If I must ship to a known repairer or I may just do at the house as long as the sound quality and integrity of the speaker will not be altered.... Thank you...

Denon 1800
B & W 605's, 684's.

You're not being really clear. Are you talking about just resoldering a connection? If so and you feel qualified to do it(you've soldered before),go ahead and fix it. If you're talking about replacing a wire,please be more specific;what does this wire connect exactly?
post #10967 of 19244 Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks

Assuming there's nothing unusual about your listening levels or room size etc,adding a high current external amp(like the Emotiva) to your B&W speakers will improve the sound quality substantially. The power amp section of any AVR is the weak link. The problem is the power supply. In your AVR,the power supply could fit in your palm. In a high current power amp,the power supply(usually a toroidal transformer) is as big as your fist. You just can't fit 5 or 7 of those physically or financially in an AVR. That's why a 2 channel power amp weighs more than a 7 channel AVR.To make matters worse,the trend nowadays is to add features(ithis and ithat connectivity) rather than improve the sound. In an attempt to cover this up,most manufacturers rate their AVR output with 2 channels driven even though it's designed to operate with 5 or 7 channels being used. Your typical AVR rated at 90 watts p/ch actually puts out around 40-50 watts per channel in 5 or 7 channel mode. Your Marantz will function just fine as a pre/pro. So,hell yes add that amp! you'll love it!

BTW:I speak from personal experience;one of my systems has 683s driven by 400 watt monoblocks.(long story!)
post #10968 of 19244 Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:

Here; http://bwgroup-support.com/partspriceavail.html

Thank you
post #10969 of 19244 Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

New here - owner of some older speakers CDM NT (7 NT, SNT, and CMT) in our living room. Just upgraded to a Integra 40.3 from an old Marantz SR 7000. I have to admit the new receiver has added some fresh life into the speakers. With the newer amp supporting 7.2, I might look around for some good used 9NT for the fronts and move the 7Nt's to the middle. I think the integra could drive the 9nt's pretty well. I realize that there are newer b&w speakers available, but I really like the CDM nt series.
Mike
post #10970 of 19244 Old 04-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmiller View Post

New here - owner of some older speakers CDM NT (7 NT, SNT, and CMT) in our living room. Just upgraded to a Integra 40.3 from an old Marantz SR 7000. I have to admit the new receiver has added some fresh life into the speakers. With the newer amp supporting 7.2, I might look around for some good used 9NT for the fronts and move the 7Nt's to the middle. I think the integra could drive the 9nt's pretty well. I realize that there are newer b&w speakers available, but I really like the CDM nt series.
Mike

Well, you can't have mine!

I've had CDM-9NTs as my mains for a decade and I'm very satisfied with them. I think B&W hit it out of the park when they added the nautilus tweeter to the "compact" series speakers.

post #10971 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 12
Need some advice. I plan to upgrade my 5.1 in-ceiling system. I want a clean look to the room so I am considering in-wall speakers for LCR. These will be placed around a TV on a fireplace for a 15x20 room with 8ft ceilings. Using Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver with Rel T9 sub.

Options

1. B&W CWM7.3. These run about $1500 per speaker. They would likely match well with the B&W 818s I have.

2. Triad silver in-wall. These run about $1100 each. Have heard good things about these speakers from others, but have not been able to demo them.

3. Atlantic technology IWTS-30. These run about $1250 each. Also, have heard good things but have not been able to find them around town to listen to. Located in LA if anyone has suggestions.

4. Snell AMC 2000THX-inwall Ultra 2. These run about $1400 each.

A second but related question relates to speaker placement. If I go with new LCR in-walls around the TV. I can repurpose my 3 B&W 818s that are currently being used as LCR. Based on my room configuration, would I be better served using two speakers as front high or wide and one as back surround or do I use two for back surround and use one in another room?

Lastly, I really want to improve my two channel listening. I can't go with inroom speakers, but I would like to significantly improve the sound stage, imaging and musicality of my system. Which in-walls will help this.
post #10972 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You can have in-wall or imaging, not both.
post #10973 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

You can have in-wall or imaging, not both.

+1,the best in-wall speakers can't hold a candle to floor standing or bookshelf/monitor speakers on stands. The sound quality you give up to save maybe 2 sq. ft.(or less) per speaker is very,very substantial.
post #10974 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM

I am at a real cross roads. I love the sound of 805D. These speakers are the sound I am looking for and the benchmark for my imaging and musicality needs. However, my family room set up is not conducive to bookshelf speakers on a stand. I will have a TV on top of a fireplace with bookshelves to the left and right.

Through feedback from others I believe that if I place the 805D on bookshelves they will loose all of the beauty they have to offer. Also, I am struggling with how to fit the center channel (HTM4D) between the fireplace and TV without the TV being at ceiling level. Alternatively, I could put the HTM4D at ceiling level pointing down at an angle, but this also may be a waste of the speaker.

The alternative arrangement I was thinking of was to put the in-wall speakers to the left and right of TV with center on top. Not the best placement, but it is either that or have TV on the ceiling.

My expereince is that more often than not, people place center channel speakers on furniture. Does the HTM4D also need to be on a stand or will it work on a mantle? If it does work on a mantle has anyone thought of using the HTM4D as left and right.

Any insights you may have are apprecaited.
post #10975 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am at a real cross roads. I love the sound of 805D. These speakers are the sound I am looking for and the benchmark for my imaging and musicality needs. However, my family room set up is not conducive to bookshelf speakers on a stand. I will have a TV on top of a fireplace with bookshelves to the left and right.

Through feedback from others I believe that if I place the 805D on bookshelves they will loose all of the beauty they have to offer. Also, I am struggling with how to fit the center channel (HTM4D) between the fireplace and TV without the TV being at ceiling level. Alternatively, I could put the HTM4D at ceiling level pointing down at an angle, but this also may be a waste of the speaker.

The alternative arrangement I was thinking of was to put the in-wall speakers to the left and right of TV with center on top. Not the best placement, but it is either that or have TV on the ceiling.

My expereince is that more often than not, people place center channel speakers on furniture. Does the HTM4D also need to be on a stand or will it work on a mantle? If it does work on a mantle has anyone thought of using the HTM4D as left and right.

Don't know where to start,it seems you're about to do everything wrong. Worst place to put your tv and center speaker, and it seems sound quality is going to take a back seat to appearance. You can spend a lot of money and it will still sound like crap(and your chiropractor will love fixing your neck weekly or daily). I would advise you to find a established local independent with a great reputation. They will come to your house and show you your options. There may be some you haven't considered. If you've got the right guy(ask for referrals),he can show you how to get great sound&video and look the way you want. That's why it's called "custom" installation. Anybody who offers solutions without seeing your house is just guessing. If we knew where you lived,perhaps you could get some dealer recommendations.

BTW,the 805D will still sound good on a shelf(placed at the very front edge),but it will sound better on a stand & you want your tv placed so that when you're sitting you don't have to look up or down. If you're going to spend that kind of money,don't you want it to sound & look the best it can?
post #10976 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't have a good solution for you but can relate my experiences.
I mounted a 55 inch Samsung to the wall and ended up buying a component stand to place on the floor in front of the TV. The stand puts my HTM2D about two inches below the screen.
If I were you, I think I'd try placing the center channel on the mantle first. If that didn't workout, then I'd put it over the TV on a bracket at an angle. Do whatever you need to do to make it work for you and don't be afraid to change it if you don't like it.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #10977 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 04:17 PM

What type of surrounds do you guys run for a 7.1 setup??
I'm looking to get the CM9's with CM5's as Surround Back & a CMC2 playing center, what about Surround Left/Right...DC3??

I know this will be a biase question but...
How do the CM9's compare with Klipschs' RF-7 II's?
Price is very close but that's where the similarities end.
I will be listening to about 60% Movies/TV and 40% Music.
I don't have the receiver yet (different puzzle getting narrowed down) but it will have around 120W.
I might up the power of the Front Left/Center/Right with an Emotiva XPA 3 or 5.

Thanks for any suggestions especially if it's about a Receiver.
post #10978 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisamc View Post

I'm looking to get the CM9's with CM5's as Surround Back & a CMC2 playing center, what about Surround Left/Right...DC3??

I don't have the receiver yet (different puzzle getting narrowed down) but it will have around 120W.

If you use CM9 fronts, then ALL surrounds should be CM5. That would be the best option.
post #10979 of 19244 Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I'm going to use CM1s for rear and DS3s for sides. Auditioned at my local dealer and they sounded great.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #10980 of 19244 Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think you'll get a better match than the CM5's for your rear speakers. I demo'd them vs. the CM1's to see if I could save some money for the rears. Even level matched it wasn't much of a contest. The CM5's could simply blend into one large sound field with the CM9's. The CM1's as good as they were couldn't. And I couldn't imagine a speaker from another manufacturer integrating as well either. I may consider the CM1's for the extra surrounds if I move to 7.1 at some point. But for the main surround duty the CM5's are a clear winner.

As far as the Klipsch RF-7 II's, I had Klipsch speakers in my home theater about 17 years. Mine were a mix of the Epic/Legend lines from the mid 90's (the front 3 had the same horn tweeter and woofer configuration). The imaging was excellent and the horns had a very natural sound. I started looking for their replacements about a year ago. I listened to Polk, Klipsch, NHT, Magnepan and B&W (basically everything I could demo in my area). I was expecting to like what I was used to. The Klipsch's I auditioned were not the RF7 II's, but were the RF82 II's. So not quite in the same league as the RF7's. What I found is that while the new Klipsch's imaged well, the horns sounded sterile compared to what I was used to. They lacked the warmth of the older Klipsch speakers. I had the same complaints with the older Refence line that I've listened to as well. The 7's may be better in this regard, I don't know. There's a large price differential, so I would imagine it would be worth doing a comparison.

As far as the receiver goes have you thought about an inexpensive processor (I had the UMC-1 in here until I did a little research, not a good choice) with an XPA5? Seems like an excellent budget separates route. Otherwise you're looking at research and auditioning. If at all possible try auditioning receivers with the speakers you intend to buy.

Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page