post #151 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zues View Post

Jealousy,envy,egos, are all part of life peaple deal with. I dont have a problem with someone owning expensive electronics gear, cars, homes, etc. It's just the attitude of some that think other peaples gear is not even worth talking about or recognizing their "enthusiasm" if you dont have gear, etc etc on their level or "price" level. Some think to truely seperate and feel good about themselves you need to spend 20k-30k on speakers. It's all about ego and "status" to some. Some do it for the recogntion to feel better about themselves and act elite on forums like this, others truely are enthusiests and dont present elite attitude.. Que just seems to fall in that category to me.

You may be onto something, actually. I think he simply resented the fact that someone else suggested that 600s provide "most" of the listening pleasure as his 800s (the "90%" angle aside), so he started rambling on about "opinion," and that was probably for exactly the reasons you said. I found his mantra that "opinions must be labeled as such in deference to the newbies" to be utterly insincere; I think he cares about himself, not those poor, lost, incapable neophytes.

I also suspect his repeated use of the antiquated "fora" supports your suspicions of "elitism" as well. Although "fora" is correct in Latin (it's what's called a second-declension plural), Modern English was largely "de-Latinized" in the 20th Century, and "forums" is overwhelmingly preferred among educated writers and speakers unless they're trying to . . . you know. "Media" and "criteria" survive, but, sadly, most people don't even recognize them as plurals! (Meanwhile, did you hear they're building two new baseball stadia in New York? And did you know that women still can't decide whether they prefer large penes? It's all true.)

On the other hand -- let's be fair -- there are certain trolls here who certainly do go after everyone who owns something "better" or "more prestigious" than they, and they rant on and on how you spent too much of your money, as if you must've gone to a loan shark to get it.

Anyway, look back at droht's post on the subject if you haven't already; he nailed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

I hope my grammer was good enough for you this time,i hope it looks pretty enough for you,but I see you are still talking about what I told you so aparently you understood me just fine and maybe what that other guy in this thread said about you isnt just his opinion,maybe its just a fact.

A'ight, if you have to bring it up . . .

It still needs work. Lots of work. Just sayin'.
post #153 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

Given that, for some of my customers, the differance between the 705's and the 805's might be only half a day's pay.

The CEO of the company I work for might make that much. If so, he is certainly the only one here who does.
post #154 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Que just seems to fall in that category to me.

You are just a bigot IMO. I'm not that kind of person. Though you are using it as a excuse to attack me, so far nothing has demonstrated your claims to be true. I think Mr Brownstone is right, you are just envious of people who own nice items and you deal with your own feeling of inadequacies by attacking people online while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. A coward IMO. Even if I were the kind of person you insinuate, your character would be much worse than mine from a moral standpoint, because all you are doing is sitting around attacking people who don't deserve to be attacked and whom have done nothing to you personally.

Nothing I own is outrageously expensive enough to brag about. As far as high-end gear goes, I'm at the low end of the totem pole. That IMO makes your claims all the more ridiculous. You might as well keep it up at this point though, you can't possibly look any more moronic since you haven't been able to prove any of your claims. You are basing your claims merely on the fact that I own some nice gear.

"It is worse still to be ignorant of your ignorance."
-- Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD)

My Home Theatre
post #155 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 AM
adm

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 View Post

Foreign poster here and another happy B&W speakers owner

The 600 series are pretty decent speakers for the price, but I think the best application for them is HT. For instance, my 604s, LCR60 and 601s are doing a good job at my bedroom's HT. My wife is not very happy with this, BTW

These speakers were originally located at my main HT place, but I decided to replace them with new Monitor Audio speakers (GR60 for fronts and RS8 for surrounds), which IMO are better than the 600 and 700 for music and multichannel performances.

Unfortunately, the 800 were too expensive for me

Nice to see you on this thread. In another lifetime (a few years ago) I believe that we were both looking to & did pull the trigger on the 604s around the same time.

Regards,
..Mark
post #156 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it may simply be that they are unfamiliar with the topic. Many responsible people, when making opinion statements, will use language that is less strong, Blowhards , on the other hand, will make very strongly worded opinion statements that sound as if their opinion is one that should be valued or taken seriously, when , in fact, they often lack enough relavant experiance to make their opinions mean much of anything.

I would try harder, sympathy is something we should all have more of, and patience too. Some people here have been very patient and sympathetic towards the more inexperianced, obnoxious blowhards despite feeling as if they are guilty by association.

Excellent, well thought out post. You were much more compassionate than I felt like being after reading his post.

My Home Theatre
post #157 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 AM

I have 602 S3 for FL and FR and 601 S3 for RL and RR plus a MK sub. My question is what LCR should I get LCR60 or LCR600? My room is 14 by 22.

Please visit my home page.

My Home Page
post #158 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

You are just a bigot IMO. I'm not that kind of person. Though you are using it as a excuse to attack me, so far nothing has demonstrated your claims to be true. I think Mr Brownstone is right, you are just envious of people who own nice items and you deal with your own feeling of inadequacies by attacking people online while hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. A coward IMO.

Yeah, well, I didn't exactly warm up to you either; there's been way too much name-calling on your part. Plus your English usage has hardly been stellar -- which would ordinarily be perfectly OK -- but, somewhere back, you invoked the element of "grammar" into this thread, so I think I have a right to hold you to a higher-than-usual casual standard. You've let me down, dammit.

But I definitely have no problem with your speakers.
post #159 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But i also said sometimes the higher end model dont always mean superior performance..Which que seems confident more expensive always=better.

Again you are spreading misinformation. When did I say anything of the nature that "more expensive=better?" I didn't. You lie more than a cheap prostitute.

My Home Theatre
post #160 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post

You may be onto something, actually. I think he simply resented the fact that someone else suggested that 600s provide "most" of the listening pleasure as his 800s (the "90%" angle aside), so he started rambling on about "opinion," and that was probably for exactly the reasons you said. I found his mantra that "opinions must be labeled as such in deference to the newbies" to be utterly insincere; I think he cares about himself, not those poor, lost, incapable neophytes.

I also suspect his repeated use of the antiquated "fora" supports your suspicions of "elitism" as well. Although "fora" is correct in Latin (it's what's called a second-declension plural), Modern English was largely "de-Latinized" in the 20th Century, and "forums" is overwhelmingly preferred among educated writers and speakers unless they're trying to . . . you know. "Media" and "criteria" survive, but, sadly, most people don't even recognize them as plurals! (Meanwhile, did you hear they're building two new baseball stadia in New York? And did you know that women still can't decide whether they prefer large penes? It's all true.)

On the other hand -- let's be fair -- there are certain trolls here who certainly do go after everyone who owns something "better" or "more prestigious" than they, and they rant on and on how you spent too much of your money, as if you must've gone to a loan shark to get it.

Anyway, look back at droht's post on the subject if you haven't already; he nailed it.

I'm sorry you feel that way about me. I actually do care about newbies and the possibility that opinions may be mistaken as facts. The reason for this is that I have gone through the wringer with these issues myself. Like I said, I am one of those dumb people who took opinion as fact a few times and learned the hard way. I guess you are now holding a grudge because I didn't agree with you concerning the topic of "qualifying statements with something that lets people know it is opinion". Apparently you have now turned it into a reason to make personal attacks against me. I guess I should be used to that kind of behavior from people online by now. Please don't bother pretending this isn't the case, because it is quite obvious that your posts directed towards me have changed in nature quite markedly after those arguments.

Fora isn't antiquated, it is in pretty much every dictionary online. You really must learn to control your resentments towards me. Just because I don't agrew tih you doesn't mean you need to start looking for ways to attack me... I thought you were a better person than that at first, but sometimes first impressions aren't always accurate I guess.

My Home Theatre
post #161 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, well, I didn't exactly warm up to you either; there's been way too much name-calling on your part. Plus your English usage has hardly been stellar -- which would ordinarily be perfectly OK -- but, somewhere back, you invoked the element of "grammar" into this thread, so I think I have a right to hold you to a higher-than-usual casual standard. You've let me down, dammit.

Where is my grammar illegible? I admit I'm not a grammatician, and I don't expect anyone to be one here. I do expect posts to be readable. That one guy's posts aren't readable. I had to skip some of the lines that I couldn't translate.

Boy, I really did hurt your ego when I didn't agree with you in that previous post. I hope those bruises don't show on your skin.

My Home Theatre
post #162 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Excellent, well thought out post.

Really? And here I just thought it was more of his typical BS.
post #163 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, what are you referring to when you say I was "name-calling?" Where did I call someone names?

My Home Theatre
post #164 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 AM

So many replies here, come here to add one, wow!
post #165 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, where did I mention elements of grammar. Please direct me to that post. I seriously can't find it and don't think I said that... Here is what I found on the topic in one of my posts:

Quote:

Besides the serious mental issues I think you have... I don't really think anyone cares what you say or do on these fora. So whatever crusade you think you are on isn't showing anyone anything. Chances are someone read your post, if they could even read it, and immediately forgot everything you wrote. I feel that way about my own posts as well. I don't expect people to really think about the posts for very long after they read them, because most people don't. They read a post, perhaps respond, and then forget about it and move on to something else.

All I said is that his post is hard to read, by stating that some people might not be able to read it. Does this qualify your attack against my grammar? Perhaps so, perhaps not, but don't make things up that I didn't say in my posts. If you find a place where I invoke the "elements of grammar," then be my guest. Don't pretend to be holding me up to a higher standard that I'm not holding you or anyone else up to, especially when the truth is that you just want to find ways to attack me. Again, I hope all these bruises don't show on the outside of your skin, you're starting to look pretty ugly.

My Home Theatre
post #166 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way about me. I actually do care about newbies and the possibility that opinions may be mistaken as facts. The reason for this is that I have gone through the wringer with these issues myself. Like I said, I am one of those dumb people who took opinion as fact a few times and learned the hard way. I guess you are now holding a grudge because I didn't agree with you concerning the topic of "qualifying statements with something that lets people know it is opinion". Apparently you have now turned it into a reason to make personal attacks against me. I guess I should be used to that kind of behavior from people online by now. Please don't bother pretending this isn't the case, because it is quite obvious that your posts directed towards me have changed in nature quite markedly after those arguments.

Fora isn't antiquated, it is in pretty much every dictionary online. You really must learn to control your resentments towards me. Just because I don't agrew tih you doesn't mean you need to start looking for ways to attack me... I thought you were a better person than that at first, but sometimes first impressions aren't always accurate I guess.

Nobody attacked you. I simply observed that your behavior has been demeaning and uncivil. I'm no shrink, but I think you might be paranoid. Dunno.

You've been obnoxious on this thread -- to lots of people -- which is going to elicit a response. All of my comments (read 'em again) have been perfectly reasonable; you've been asking for it, really, as you call people names incessantly.

And, yeah, "fora" is probably in every dictionary (as a secondary usage) but, trust me, it's gonna rub people the wrong way. "Forums" is correct and preferred in Modern English. I saw a quote somewhere from a Latin teacher that said, "I'm a Latin teacher, but I think I'd be committing an act of ultimate snobbery if I decided to use 'fora' before -- let's say -- a PTA audience."
post #167 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Interesting thread.

My B&W experience began quite a few years ago when I had a pair of the original Paradigm Studio 100's. I compared them to the (original) 600 series and wasn't impressed.

Time passed and I held onto the Paradigms. When it was time to upgrade, among others I listened to both the 600 & 800 series from B&W. I really liked the 800's top end. I thought that the 600 series sounded good -especially for the money- but the midrange and top end was a lot sweeter with the 800's. I just plain liked how it sounded better.

Was it worth the difference in price? For me, yes. That being said I have the 804S's for mains and 602's for surround. For me music is a priority and my budget doesn't allow 800's all around just yet. I've been very pleased with the setup. I really love the 804's sound. Bass is augmented with a DIY monster sub and the whole package works very well together. It's been about 8 months that I've had them and I still grin when I pop in a CD. I really love these speakers!

I like movies too but I just don't listen to them even 1/2 as critically as I do music so for me it made sense to build a combination system. The speakers are voiced close enough that I don't notice any mismatch. I'm pleased. I'm not currently using a center channel yet, which leads me to a question: if I were to pick up a center channel, should I go 800 or 600? Again, it will be just for movies, I don't listen to music in surround.

Stay Positive,

Chris
post #168 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody attacked you. I simply observed that your behavior has been demeaning and uncivil. I'm no shrink, but I think you might be paranoid. Dunno.

You've been obnoxious on this thread -- to lots of people -- which is going to elicit a response. All of my comments (read 'em again) have been perfectly reasonable; you've been asking for it, really, as you call people names incessantly.

And, yeah, "fora" is probably in every dictionary (as a secondary usage) but, trust me, it's gonna rub people the wrong way. "Forums" is correct and preferred in Modern English. I saw a quote somewhere from a Latin teacher that said, "I'm a Latin teacher, but I think I'd be committing an act of ultimate snobbery if I decided to use 'fora' before -- let's say -- a PTA audience."

The only people I have had interactions with of that nature are the two people who provoked me, Zeus and Taiwan. They followed me from a previous thread where they were attacking me and are now attacking me in this thread as well.

My behavior is perfectly acceptable towards them considering the situation. One, that they are fabricating things about me. Two, that they are stalking me between threads (do they even own B&W speakers?) Three, that they won't post proof of the things they claim about me, and no matter how many times I prove their statements incorrect, they just keep on fabricating...

Who have I been obnoxious to besides Zeus and Taiwan? Oh wait, you have begun attacking my character now as well, so now I am being obnoxious to you. Go figure. Well, sorry if I hurt your feelings by not agreeing with you earlier. It still doesn't make your attacks warranted. I guess when you start acting obnoxious towards me for no reason I start being obnoxious back towards you (what did I do to you that warranted you being obnoxious towards me?) Heck, at least I'm not starting to fabricate things about you like you are fabricating things about me in your posts...

My Home Theatre
post #169 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that is just puerile. Honestly, just pick up a rock and throw it at my car instead of resorting to this kind of bologna. I'd have more respect for you.

My Home Theatre
post #170 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW, what are you referring to when you say I was "name-calling?" Where did I call someone names?

"Prick" . . . "bigot" . . . "coward" . . . I lost track after a while. I'm not making any of this up.

You don't see me doing that. On this thread, you're doing it. And then you come back with condescending claptrap like, "I'm sorry if I bruised your ego . . ."

Enough already! I don't care what you think. I doubt anyone here does. I just wish you'd learn to behave.
post #171 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 AM

Wasn't this supposed to be a lovefest?
post #172 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsarjeant View Post

Wasn't this supposed to be a lovefest?

tight, clean, and deep......
post #173 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Prick" . . . "bigot" . . . "coward" . . . I lost track after a while. I'm not making any of this up.

You don't see me doing that. On this thread, you're doing it. And then you come back with condescending claptrap like, "I'm sorry if I bruised your ego . . ."

Enough already! I don't care what you think. I doubt anyone here does. I just wish you'd learn to behave.

Those were all directed at the two guys who are stalking me. The guys who are fabricating things about me and won't back up anything they say, except with lies. Are you one of their friends now or something?

If you don't like me, put me on ignore. Just don't pretend you are attacking my character for any noble reason.

I sincerely apologize for your bruised ego. Is that better behavior?

My Home Theatre
post #174 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that is just puerile. Honestly, just pick up a rock and throw it at my car instead of resorting to this kind of bologna. I'd have more respect for you.

I have a large vocabulary, but I had to look up "puerile". I am afraid that this reinforces Mr. Brownstone's point.
(FWIW when I started working for a manufacturer after being a math student, it was really hard for me to get used to saying "radiuses" instead of "radii", but all the machine shop guys thought I was being snobbish by using "radii". )
post #175 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post

tight, clean, and deep......

Maybe not clean...
post #176 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:49 AM

Well after reading some really great pages in this thread i decided to post in here sinds i ordered the 703's (black ash) yesterday

STEREO: B&W 703, Marantz PM-15S1.Marantz SA7001, MJ acoustics ref 1 mkII.
VISION: Pioneer PDP 507XD, Marantz DV7600, Monster.
post #177 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Maybe not clean...

okay....okay....okay then.....how bout' filthy mcnasty!!
post #178 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
The CEO of the company I work for might make that much. If so, he is certainly the only one here who does

I see plenty of people around who earn FAR more than I and it doesn't bother me when it is easy for them to justify spending more money on things than I do. I don't envy or begrudge people the things that make them happy, life's too short.
I consistantly am looking at projects in my company (a/v) that are over $100,000 , with budgets like this an extra few thousand on speakers isn't a stretch.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #179 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Be careful, English may not be his first language. There are many foreign born posters here.

I was only pointing out proper writing technique. If English is a second language then all more reason he should learn proper grammar, etc.

Note his location does say Dayton, Ohio.

I did say "no offense", so I'm not sure what I have to be careful about.

No offense Jake.

Yes - I edited this post to correct my spelling errors. I am the world's worst speller.
post #180 of 18911 Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevoid View Post

Well after reading some really great pages in this thread i decided to post in here sinds i ordered the 703's (black ash) yesterday

Congratulations!

I definitely loved the sound of those 703s when I had a 700 series surround system in my office. You couldn't have done any better in the 700 series, and IMO the 703s give a few of the 800s a run for their money as well.

My Home Theatre
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page