B&W Owner's Thread - Page 628 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18811 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yeah keep an eye on Audiogon. I see them pop up from time to time in the different finishes. Going to cost a lot of have something that big and heavy shipped though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18812 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
Looking for an old htm1d. Any one have a lead on one?

Thanks
Bill
I'm not sure if the picture I see in your avatar is your HT room or not but if it is and your screen in not wall mounted and comes down from the ceiling with some space behind it you would be better off acoustically getting a center to match your mains than a HTM1D. I suppose that would also mean you need an acoustically transparent screen.

post #18813 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I'm not sure if the picture I see in your avatar is your HT room or not but if it is and your screen in not wall mounted and comes down from the ceiling with some space behind it you would be better off acoustically getting a center to match your mains than a HTM1D. I suppose that would also mean you need an acoustically transparent screen.
I have not updated my pictures for my system. I currently have 802d up front, and the 802n have been moved for surround duties. The htm1d would match. I have thought of all different ways to get the screen up high enough to allow for another 802d as a center. It is just too much of a compromise with the viewing angle being so high. I also do not want to go to a perforated screen as I want the clearest picture I can get. Again, I do not want to compromise any more there. So I am back to getting an htm1d.

I have audiogon on my favorites page... I was looking for other avenues. .. maybe someone close and I could do some trading for my 802n with the matching center for the one htm1d.

Bill
post #18814 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I purchased a pair of 683s last year and of course as luck would have it they redesigned them. I was unable to find a matching center so i bought htm61 S2. I did notice that although the overall design didn't change much the crossover frequencies are different. Is this a problem?

Thank you.
post #18815 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have not updated my pictures for my system. I currently have 802d up front, and the 802n have been moved for surround duties. The htm1d would match. I have thought of all different ways to get the screen up high enough to allow for another 802d as a center. It is just too much of a compromise with the viewing angle being so high. I also do not want to go to a perforated screen as I want the clearest picture I can get. Again, I do not want to compromise any more there. So I am back to getting an htm1d.

I have audiogon on my favorites page... I was looking for other avenues. .. maybe someone close and I could do some trading for my 802n with the matching center for the one htm1d.

Bill
Gotcha, then yeah the HTM1D is the closet match you could get. Are your 802d's current gen or last gen? If current gen then I suspect there might be some slight timbre mismatching to the HTM1D but it may not be noticeable. Obviously cosmetically they aren't going to perfectly match.

post #18816 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
First generation diamond.

Last edited by baranowski; 07-07-2014 at 11:03 AM.
post #18817 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfjules View Post
Hey guys,

I purchased a pair of 683s last year and of course as luck would have it they redesigned them. I was unable to find a matching center so i bought htm61 S2. I did notice that although the overall design didn't change much the crossover frequencies are different. Is this a problem?

Thank you.
Nope S2 is better.
post #18818 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First generation diamond.
Perfect then, I hope you are able to find the speaker and it would be even better if it matches the color of your 802's.

Or B&W could start making them again..cough... Patrick..cough...
Patrick Butler likes this.

post #18819 of 18824 Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question...Just moved and will be putting the HT system in the basement. I have room for a 55-70" TV above fireplace in family room where previous owners mounted 7 Definitive small speakers on the wall (LCR and 2 rears in addition to 2 others in an adjacent room. Looks pretty bad and I have no intention of going 5.1 in the family room. So, in an effort to compromise with the wife I'm "offering" to remove the 7 small speakers, mount the TV and just use the sound from the TV and get 2 reasonably priced speakers for 2 channel listening and also to fill the first floor with sound. I'm very partial to B&W as I love the silky smooth highs and the vocals on this brand.

My question is, if I look around and spend maybe $2,000 on speakers, can they be driven with just a regular high end receiver or am I definitely looking at adding an amp? Been a while since I've looked on Audiogon to see what is out there but if I can get the OK for the 2 speakers something tells me I'll need an amp to drive them properly.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
post #18820 of 18824 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Quick question...Just moved and will be putting the HT system in the basement. I have room for a 55-70" TV above fireplace in family room where previous owners mounted 7 Definitive small speakers on the wall (LCR and 2 rears in addition to 2 others in an adjacent room. Looks pretty bad and I have no intention of going 5.1 in the family room. So, in an effort to compromise with the wife I'm "offering" to remove the 7 small speakers, mount the TV and just use the sound from the TV and get 2 reasonably priced speakers for 2 channel listening and also to fill the first floor with sound. I'm very partial to B&W as I love the silky smooth highs and the vocals on this brand.

My question is, if I look around and spend maybe $2,000 on speakers, can they be driven with just a regular high end receiver or am I definitely looking at adding an amp? Been a while since I've looked on Audiogon to see what is out there but if I can get the OK for the 2 speakers something tells me I'll need an amp to drive them properly.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
In most cases you should be fine. Fortunately, the vast majority of B&W speakers are relatively efficient, with sensitivities in the 88 to 90 dB range. And this holds true pretty much across all popular series, including the 800, CM and 600 lines. Of course you also need to consider other factors such as room size, etc. as well.

The main concern is that you don't want to drive the receiver into clipping, which can generate strong harmonics which can cause tweeter damage. But if the speakers are relatively efficient, you shouldn't need to drive the receiver into clipping, even on the loudest passages.
post #18821 of 18824 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. Newbie here. Just wanted to ask if anyone upgraded from last generation's 685 to the s2s, or if it is worth upgrading to the current version. I'm trying to decide if i should replace mine, or upgrade my receiver first, thanks.
post #18822 of 18824 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by punprankster View Post
Hi all. Newbie here. Just wanted to ask if anyone upgraded from last generation's 685 to the s2s, or if it is worth upgrading to the current version. I'm trying to decide if i should replace mine, or upgrade my receiver first, thanks.
If you have an opportunity you should audition the S2s. IMHO, the S2 is much improved over the S1.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #18823 of 18824 Old Today, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone do any comparing to the Bryston speakers?
post #18824 of 18824 Old Today, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by punprankster View Post
I have both and both sound good to me.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page