B&W Owner's Thread - Page 629 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 627  628  629 630  631  ... Last
Speakers > B&W Owner's Thread
HawaiiR 04:18 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasseAddict View Post
I agree! In fact I think the B&W ceiling/wall speaker product line is as vast as their other speaker lines. There's pretty much something for everybody in the ceiling/wall speaker products. That's not saying everybody is willing to pay the price, but I like them a lot. In particular the back box options allows you to get close to free standing speaker SQ with less space needed. For example I have 800D2 for mains, paired with Sig8NT for rear surrounds. It was the only way i could get full use of my room and get the best SQ too. If I had the space I would have paired 802D2 for rear surround.

See Ya,
Steve

I may actually end up keeping the speakers if the seller can agree to drop the price for me. That said, where would I find these back box options you speak of? Are they made by B&W or do I find aftermarket ones (and if so, from where), or do I build some. I was just speaking with a Def Tech person today, and one of them recommended NOT to put back boxes on their higher end DI8R ceiling speaker - which confuses me, because almost everyone I've spoken to on these forums recommend the boxes.

ClasseAddict's Avatar ClasseAddict 05:04 PM 07-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiR View Post
I may actually end up keeping the speakers if the seller can agree to drop the price for me. That said, where would I find these back box options you speak of? Are they made by B&W or do I find aftermarket ones (and if so, from where), or do I build some. I was just speaking with a Def Tech person today, and one of them recommended NOT to put back boxes on their higher end DI8R ceiling speaker - which confuses me, because almost everyone I've spoken to on these forums recommend the boxes.
I think some brands, and styles don't use back boxes. I think back boxes are needed if they are offered and made by the manufacturer. B&W has some styles that comes with back boxes, some are optional. Some that are optional, but really needs them.

It's all up to the buyer.

See Ya,
Steve
Morfious's Avatar Morfious 06:30 AM 07-18-2014
Anyone have any idea if B&W are planning an upgrade on the CM series. I am in the process of upgrading my home theater setup and went to Best Buy to pick up the CMC2 center channel and CM5 to use as fronts temporarily until I save more for the CM9 or 10. The CM5 were in stock and fine, but the CMC2 was unavailable anywhere according to Best Buy's computer system. Just wondering if there was a shortage due to an impending upgrade, or just a system hiccup with low availability.

Thanks for the info if anyone knows.
JamesP1701's Avatar JamesP1701 03:47 PM 07-18-2014
I've just bought the 683 series 2s to run off my Denon 4000. How long will they need to run in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockies's Avatar rockies 10:18 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfious View Post
Anyone have any idea if B&W are planning an upgrade on the CM series. I am in the process of upgrading my home theater setup and went to Best Buy to pick up the CMC2 center channel and CM5 to use as fronts temporarily until I save more for the CM9 or 10. The CM5 were in stock and fine, but the CMC2 was unavailable anywhere according to Best Buy's computer system. Just wondering if there was a shortage due to an impending upgrade, or just a system hiccup with low availability.

Thanks for the info if anyone knows.

I just looked on Best Buy website and the CM9 speakers are now $500 off per pair. They seem to be going fast, only 2 stores in my state have them available. Was considering the CM8, but this is a great deal.
danielo's Avatar danielo 02:51 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasseAddict View Post
I think some brands, and styles don't use back boxes. I think back boxes are needed if they are offered and made by the manufacturer. B&W has some styles that comes with back boxes, some are optional. Some that are optional, but really needs them.

It's all up to the buyer.

See Ya,
Steve
Agreed if the brand provides back boxes its prefered since they made sure about the construction/size is correct. I am considering adding CCM7.4 as surrounds but aiming them down (so they aim 45degrees down if build into the wall). Trying to find out if this will work well since it would allow me to place them higher up then the current surrounds. The frontend will stay 802D2's and HTM2D2

Daniel.
Chise's Avatar Chise 05:46 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post
I've just bought the 683 series 2s to run off my Denon 4000. How long will they need to run in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean break-in
jima4a's Avatar jima4a 08:36 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP1701 View Post
I've just bought the 683 series 2s to run off my Denon 4000. How long will they need to run in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would assume in about 4 hrs they would be pretty much broke in.
JamesP1701's Avatar JamesP1701 09:00 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
You mean break-in

Thanks for taking the time to reply and correcting me. Pity you didn't help with my enquiry.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesP1701's Avatar JamesP1701 09:00 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I would assume in about 4 hrs they would be pretty much broke in.

Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chise's Avatar Chise 09:29 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
You mean break-in
Depends who you ask the BW rep told me 100 hours.
VinhT's Avatar VinhT 10:07 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101101 View Post
Out of curiosity I auditioned some 802D2s driven by all Mcintosh gear, from top to bottom. The sound seemed a bit warm. Would you guys attribute this more to the Mc gear or the 802s? It almost seemed like it dampened the sparkle that I experienced from the 805d on a different setup in a different store.
It is the speakers. When comparing the 802D2 to the 805D, the 802 will always sound slightly "warmer". Bowers & Wilkins purposely goosed the high end of both the 805 and 804 so that the 802 would sound far more balanced in comparison. So it's not that the 802 is warm, it's just that the 805 deviates far enough from neutral that it becomes noticeable.
thrang's Avatar thrang 10:17 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhT View Post
Bowers & Wilkins purposely goosed the high end of both the 805 and 804 so that the 802 would sound far more balanced in comparison.
Link? Reference?
[Irishman]'s Avatar [Irishman] 12:48 PM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I just looked on Best Buy website and the CM9 speakers are now $500 off per pair. They seem to be going fast, only 2 stores in my state have them available. Was considering the CM8, but this is a great deal.
The vast majority of BBY sales run week to week, so if you want to be assured of getting that deal, you'd be well-advised to keep that deadline in mind.
Jon Middleton's Avatar Jon Middleton 07:54 PM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhT View Post
It is the speakers. When comparing the 802D2 to the 805D, the 802 will always sound slightly "warmer". Bowers & Wilkins purposely goosed the high end of both the 805 and 804 so that the 802 would sound far more balanced in comparison. So it's not that the 802 is warm, it's just that the 805 deviates far enough from neutral that it becomes noticeable.

Doubt it. The difference is the deeper bass extension of the larger speakers. B&W wouldn't intentionally degrade the sound of any speaker. It's just that if the speaker is unable to reproduce deep bass, it sounds leaner or brighter. That's why I went with the 800D2's.

Oh, and I'd like a reference for break in time for speakers. I doubt you could tell a difference between brand new and 1000 hour speakers.
Morfious's Avatar Morfious 01:13 PM 07-20-2014
Now the waiting begins;

Emotiva was having a sale until the end of July and I decided to bite the bullet and pick up their XPA-5 amplifier. That also gave me a reason to upgrade my old HTiB Kenwood speakers that I have been using for the last 9 years. I tried to rationalize the purchase price of my true desires, the absolutely amazing 802d, but decided that I enjoy living in my house and eating food occasionally, so purchasing the 802d's may not make the best financial sense right now.

CMC2 Center channel and CM5's were ordered and should be delivered some time next week. For the time being I'll use my current mediocre front speakers as surrounds and will eventually add a pair of CM9 or CM10 to take up front stage duties, and move the CM5's to surround. Best Buy had to order the CMC2 from their Magnolia Design center due to an unknown shortage in their system. Now the hard part comes, WAITING for the amazing speakers!

Note to self, when selecting TV stands, make sure you measure 2x. It seems that my center channel speaker shelf in the stand is tall enough to fit the CMC2, but too narrow by 1/2". Now I have to decide what looks less strange, a center channel stand on the floor in front of the cabinet; or fab up a custom shelf/speaker bracket that will stick out in front of the cabinet and rest the speaker stand on.

I also plan to upgrade the wiring and make some custom DIY Bi-wire cables for my new B&W babies.

Pics to come once it's all installed.
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 01:49 PM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Link? Reference?

His ass...


thrang's Avatar thrang 02:15 PM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
His ass...

Ah, the flabby cornerstone of most posts here on AVS...(I'm sure some of mine included...)
memphis2050 04:51 PM 07-20-2014
Hey every one, i am new here and would like some help on choosing the right amp. I have the B&W 683's with a Marantz 6007 running them. i have the HTM61 center and the M1's rears. i want my set up to be a little louder and to have less strain on me receiver. Not only that but id like it to sound more clean. Im trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-5 and the XPR-5. The XPA-5 has 200w RMS and the XPR-5 has 400w RMS. i know 400w is too much so i would'nt try to put the volume up to much. But if i ever decide to upgrade my speakers i dont think i would need a bigger amp. The thing is the center is rated at 150w and the rears are rated at 100w. Id really like to hear what every one has to say. is 200w enough or should i get the 400w to have enough reserve. speakers can take a little more power then what they are rated, from what i hear, as long as the amp can dish it out with no distortion.
Chise's Avatar Chise 04:57 PM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2050 View Post
Hey every one, i am new here and would like some help on choosing the right amp. I have the B&W 683's with a Marantz 6007 running them. i have the HTM61 center and the M1's rears. i want my set up to be a little louder and to have less strain on me receiver. Not only that but id like it to sound more clean. Im trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-5 and the XPR-5. The XPA-5 has 200w RMS and the XPR-5 has 400w RMS. i know 400w is too much so i would'nt try to put the volume up to much. But if i ever decide to upgrade my speakers i dont think i would need a bigger amp. The thing is the center is rated at 150w and the rears are rated at 100w. Id really like to hear what every one has to say. is 200w enough or should i get the 400w to have enough reserve. speakers can take a little more power then what they are rated, from what i hear, as long as the amp can dish it out with no distortion.
Go with the XPA-5 and from my experience make sure you have dedicated 20 amp line in your house and all yeah welcome to AVS.
memphis2050 05:05 PM 07-20-2014
Thank you, I appreciate your help. And luckily i have a 30 Amp line in my living room. I think i need to change the receptacle though. I put in a cheap one and i believe it is rated at 15amp.
Chise's Avatar Chise 05:12 PM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2050 View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your help. And luckily i have a 30 Amp line in my living room. I think i need to change the receptacle though. I put in a cheap one and i believe it is rated at 15amp.
Go with Furutech's or Voodoo power outlets they will help cleaning your power to your Gear.
memphis2050 05:19 PM 07-20-2014
Thank you again. Do you use any other power conditioners?
Jon Middleton's Avatar Jon Middleton 05:31 PM 07-20-2014
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd post up photos when I finished my HT. I'm not an all black kind of guy, but wanted a multipurpose room: HT, High End listening room and photo gallery to display my work. I realize these purposes are somewhat at odds, but was will to live with the compromises. I bought a mike and will be using REW, but I am currently thrilled with the sound, picture, the surroundings, etc. Here are some pictures:





















Enjoy!
memphis2050 05:32 PM 07-20-2014
Oh and do you mind if i ask why you would chose the XPA-5 over the XPR-5?
Morfious's Avatar Morfious 06:34 PM 07-20-2014
As I understand it the XPA-5 only needs a 15 amp line. The XPR-5 requires a 20 amp dedicated line, to get the full benefit of the amp. If you are considering the XPR-5 and have the funds I would encourage you to get it. No worries in having a monster AMP that's a bit more than you need. Headroom is nice to have. Whatever speakers you get in the future will be able to sing with that amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'd post up photos when I finished my HT. I'm not an all black kind of guy, but wanted a multipurpose room: HT, High End listening room and photo gallery to display my work.
Looks absolutely fantastic. I'd take the grills off of those 800 series speakers. They are far too pretty to be covered up!!
memphis2050 07:09 PM 07-20-2014
I agree with Morfious. Take the grills off, unless you have kids lol.

And thx for your input as well morfious. Its appreciated.
mantikos's Avatar mantikos 05:06 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF88 View Post
I've listen to the CM1's at Best Buy/Magnolia and liked them away from the wall. Once they were pushed up against the wall, they weren't as great. But never heard the SCM1's or the N805's (been discontinued for a while now).

So I heard the 686 and the CM1 and was blown away by the difference in quality. The 6 series just doesn't sound very clean and crisp to me, its got a looseness and doesn't sound very controlled. I am running these off of a Pioneer VSX 80 and m concern is will there be enough sound for occasional high volume listening in a 17X21 'room' with cathedral ceilings that is essentially open to on 3 sides. Also, the CMC sounded less rounded than the HTM61s, I can't afford the CMC2...and cant figure out which way to go....don't even know if the CM1s and HTM61 is timbre matched.

What would you guys recommend for the surrounds? I was thinking of the 686 or some in-walls for the surrounds since I expect having to use 4 channels for music to fill up this huge room.

Also how does B&W CM1 compare to NHT Super 3s? they have a sale going on now.

TIA
ZachF88's Avatar ZachF88 10:44 AM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantikos View Post
So I heard the 686 and the CM1 and was blown away by the difference in quality. The 6 series just doesn't sound very clean and crisp to me, its got a looseness and doesn't sound very controlled. I am running these off of a Pioneer VSX 80 and m concern is will there be enough sound for occasional high volume listening in a 17X21 'room' with cathedral ceilings that is essentially open to on 3 sides. Also, the CMC sounded less rounded than the HTM61s, I can't afford the CMC2...and cant figure out which way to go....don't even know if the CM1s and HTM61 is timbre matched.

What would you guys recommend for the surrounds? I was thinking of the 686 or some in-walls for the surrounds since I expect having to use 4 channels for music to fill up this huge room.

Also how does B&W CM1 compare to NHT Super 3s? they have a sale going on now.

TIA
The HTM61 is not timber-matched to the CM1's. I even think the CM1's shouldn't be matched with the rest of the CM-series. I feel that CM1's are great for 2 channel set up (or 4, but all CM1's). I would consider maybe the CM5 and CMC2 if you can pull it off. I listened to the CM1, CM5, CMC, and HTM61 3 times for over an hour each at BB/Magnolia. I love the CM1's but I don't like them paired with the other CM-series. The CM5 worked well with the CM centers and the floor standing CM's.

As for my set-up (if anyone cares), I ended up getting 2 more XT8's for sides. Hoping to get some FPM2's for the rears. But blew the budget by double......
Chise's Avatar Chise 02:28 PM 07-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2050 View Post
Thank you again. Do you use any other power conditioners?
The same I told you about, Furman and Panamax, Monster are junk.
Tags: B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
First ... 627  628  629 630  631  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop