post #18871 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantikos View Post
So I heard the 686 and the CM1 and was blown away by the difference in quality. The 6 series just doesn't sound very clean and crisp to me, its got a looseness and doesn't sound very controlled. I am running these off of a Pioneer VSX 80 and m concern is will there be enough sound for occasional high volume listening in a 17X21 'room' with cathedral ceilings that is essentially open to on 3 sides. Also, the CMC sounded less rounded than the HTM61s, I can't afford the CMC2...and cant figure out which way to go....don't even know if the CM1s and HTM61 is timbre matched.

What would you guys recommend for the surrounds? I was thinking of the 686 or some in-walls for the surrounds since I expect having to use 4 channels for music to fill up this huge room.

Also how does B&W CM1 compare to NHT Super 3s? they have a sale going on now.

TIA
The receiver you have I would go with CMC for center 685S2 for towers and M-1 for surrounds, you can mount them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18872 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF88 View Post
The HTM61 is not timber-matched to the CM1's. I even think the CM1's shouldn't be matched with the rest of the CM-series. I feel that CM1's are great for 2 channel set up (or 4, but all CM1's). I would consider maybe the CM5 and CMC2 if you can pull it off. I listened to the CM1, CM5, CMC, and HTM61 3 times for over an hour each at BB/Magnolia. I love the CM1's but I don't like them paired with the other CM-series. The CM5 worked well with the CM centers and the floor standing CM's.

As for my set-up (if anyone cares), I ended up getting 2 more XT8's for sides. Hoping to get some FPM2's for the rears. But blew the budget by double......

Let me follow up with this:

I can get the CMC for 399 or the CMC2 for 980
Which one would you get?

I think I am committed to my CM1 for L & R
Still confused about the rear speakers, should I go 6 series, wait to save for CMs or go in-wall B&Ws? I do plan on using the speakers for music using all channels to fill the huge space I have.
post #18873 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
The receiver you have I would go with CMC for center 685S2 for towers and M-1 for surrounds, you can mount them.

Thank you Chise, would you be able to answer the question above ^
post #18874 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Which one would you get?

Still confused about the rear speakers, should I go 6 series, wait to save for CMs or go in-wall B&Ws? I do plan on using the speakers for music using all channels to fill the huge space I have.
I would definitely go with the CMC2 if you have the space. The majority of the dialog in movies is emitted via the center. The CMC2 is 3 way with that FST mid driver, so you'll get better dialog. As for the rears, save up for CM1's. I've never liked the in-wall speakers from b&w. Also look into FPM series. But the CM1's will be better, The CM1's are great little speakers!

PS. I'm running DM600 S3 (3rd generation, now they are on 5th) as rears. I can definitely tell the difference in the upper end (upper mids and highs). The 600-series just sound "muddy" to me. I really hate mixing different B&W speaker lines.
post #18875 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF88 View Post
I would definitely go with the CMC2 if you have the space. The majority of the dialog in movies is emitted via the center. The CMC2 is 3 way with that FST mid driver, so you'll get better dialog. As for the rears, save up for CM1's. I've never liked the in-wall speakers from b&w. Also look into FPM series. But the CM1's will be better, The CM1's are great little speakers!

PS. I'm running DM600 S3 (3rd generation, now they are on 5th) as rears. I can definitely tell the difference in the upper end (upper mids and highs). The 600-series just sound "muddy" to me. I really hate mixing different B&W speaker lines.

I agree on the 6 series sounding muddy - especially in the mid-range.
post #18876 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which one would you get?

Now if you was using different receiver like SC-75,77,79 then I would use CMC2 for the center and CM9 towers CM5 for surrounds but you are on budget and finally do not under estimated 600 series S2's.
post #18877 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Now if you was using different receiver like SC-75,77,79 then I would use CMC2 for the center and CM9 towers CM5 for surrounds but you are on budget and finally do not under estimated 600 series S2's.

what's wrong with the vsx 80? Not enough power to drive these speakers?
post #18878 of 18883 Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Which one would you get?

I am/was in your same shoes. I demoed (in house) the 683 S2's and CM1's, and decided on the CM1's. They'll be my fronts for a while, until I can spring for some CM5's, then I'll move the CM1's to the rear to replace my Athena's. I'll also eventually replace the Athena center with the CMC2. Which upgrade comes first (CMC2 or CM5) depends on what deals I can find down the road when I've saved up some more money.

For me, the CM1's sounded better than the 683 S2's.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #18879 of 18883 Old Today, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If anyone got B&W SCMS speakers stashed away; please contact me. I'm looking for several pairs of B&W SCMS'

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit - SAMSUNG ES8005 46" - MAC Mini Late 2012 i7/16GB/SSD - SYNOLOGY NAS 50TB
post #18880 of 18883 Old Today, 04:06 AM

Random question - would this work for wall mounting a CMC2 ?

http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/pro...products/PS200

I would obviously keep it off the wall and use foam plugs for the ports
post #18881 of 18883 Old Today, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
I am/was in your same shoes. I demoed (in house) the 683 S2's and CM1's, and decided on the CM1's. They'll be my fronts for a while, until I can spring for some CM5's, then I'll move the CM1's to the rear to replace my Athena's. I'll also eventually replace the Athena center with the CMC2. Which upgrade comes first (CMC2 or CM5) depends on what deals I can find down the road when I've saved up some more money.

For me, the CM1's sounded better than the 683 S2's.
No way my friend I just listen CM1's I compared 685S2 and 683S2 and also I tried SC-71 the Denon X-4000 Pioneer VSX-80 the CM1's sounded weak I would never use them for towers surrounds then yes, and finally the receiver you have, get better receiver before you buy new speakers.
post #18882 of 18883 Old Today, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No way my friend I just listen CM1's I compared 685S2 and 683S2 and also I tried SC-71 the Denon X-4000 Pioneer VSX-80 the CM1's sounded weak I would never use them for towers surrounds then yes, and finally the receiver you have, get better receiver before you buy new speakers.

The CM1s aren't the most sensitive - agreed, the 6 series is def louder but at the same time the mid range is muddled as many have pointed out.

As far as the VSX 80, I am curious to know why you think its weak.
post #18883 of 18883 Old Today, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I had the 683 S2's and the CM1's in my home, with my system, for over 2 weeks...on loan/demo from my local audio shop. In my home, with my system, the CM1's were clearly better. The highs were less shrill, the mids were less muddy, and there was more than enough bass when used by themselves, and they were even better when using a sub.

Maybe in your home, with your system, the 683's sound better. Just not in mine.

And I don't count any in-store listening, particularly if it's someplace like Best Buy/Magnolia, who have no clue how to set up a listening room. No store is going to match the acoustics of your own space.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread