AVS Forum banner
4M views 30K replies 3K participants last post by  Tank_PD 
#1 ·
I noticed that I hadn't seen B&W OWNER'S thread , but that there are a lot of owners on this forum and I think that the consistant bashing from about 4 posters makes people hesitant to get involved in any of the many threads that keep getting nasty. So, to that end, I think that if there was a thread where the Lovefest could be conducted without bothering NON-owners and the bashers weren't welcome, maybe some good info could come out of it.

My challenge would be to ask people here to keep it civil and that if you don't like B&W there is no point in you being here. If you want to talk about other comporables, start another thread.

For the record, I am a B&W dealer , and most know this, and as such , if I can find out any important info on the brand or certain models, I will be happy to. Don't , however, post or pm me regarding sales, I don't use threads as advertising for my business, and I won't sell you anything .

So what do you own and how is it set-up?

#12,601 ·
One of the site sponsons (I can't remember their name) makes real hardwood AV furniture. I'm sure you could order a stand from them unfinished and have them include some scrap wood that you could use to have your local paint store make a custom stain thats an exact match for what you want.

#12,602 ·
I am wondering if a black piece will be ok. Considering the TV is black and the speakers have a lot of black, and our furniture is currently black, maybe that is going to be the best way to go?

#12,603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786571

I have a “different” question for you guys. I love the rosenut finish of the B&Ws and that is what I have. It works ok with our “décor” and oak floors, but now that I am looking for a A/V stand I am having a hard time finding a match. Can anyone recommend some furniture brands that have “rosenut” or “rosenutish” finish that is a match?

Or better yet, for the gifted interior designers here, can you tell me what other furniture color might be a match in this room? Our furniture is all black but that will probably change sometime in the future to something in the brown family. We are also open to mounting the TV on the wall. Side note, I will most likely be getting the HTM2D2 in rosenut sometime in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Try Salamander or Lovan.

#12,605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786682

One of the site sponsons (I can't remember their name) makes real hardwood AV furniture. I'm sure you could order a stand from them unfinished and have them include some scrap wood that you could use to have your local paint store make a custom stain thats an exact match for what you want.

Interesting idea - thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoiski  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786719

Try Salamander or Lovan.

Salamander is at the top of my list, especially the "synergy" system. Which "stain" would you recommend? Never heard of Lovan - will look them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786722

I'd look at three options. Really try an match your speaker stain, your floor stain, or black.

Do you know any furniture stains that match the b&w diamond rosenut stain?

#12,606 ·
I wouldn't use a premade stain. If you have some sample wood from the company that makes the stand your getting you can go to a local paint store and they can make a custom stain that's an exact match for your b&w's. Avoid the paint departments at box stores.

#12,608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthefloyd  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786722

I'd look at three options. Really try an match your speaker stain, your floor stain, or black.

From a visual standpoint black or ebony might be the safest/easiest. Matching your speaker or floor stain would look great, but the key word is "matching". If you only get something "close" it may not look good (close but not matching often looks "cluttered", or worse cheap).

Or, as mentioned in another post a custom made stain would be your best bet.

#12,610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22786715

I am wondering if a black piece will be ok. Considering the TV is black and the speakers have a lot of black, and our furniture is currently black, maybe that is going to be the best way to go?

Your big B&W's are spectacular.

I may take this off topic a bit but before you worry about furniture, why not work on the room. You have hard wood floors, fairly plain walls, brick from the fireplace. Of course we can't see the back wall but might I suggest a rug to cover up some hard wood, some type of wall treatments that aren't ugly and use materials that might absorb some sound. I am no audio engineer but you have a lot of reflective material. Again, it is not my intent to offend but you have very expensive speakers and probably a hard room to get the best sound results from.

I also noticed the TV is pretty low and I am guessing theceiling is either white or close to it. A darker ceiling can really make the viewing experience improve. Of course that might cause spousal issues.

#12,611 ·
Just picked up a new B&W 5.1 set, which includes the below listed speakers. Prior to my purchase, I demoed the KEF Q700 and Q900, the B&W 683 and CM9 and the MA RX6. I decided to go with the 683s. Please let me know what you think of this setup or if I should swap any of the speakers out for others. I am open to suggestions and have a few weeks to try these out. I'm not sold on the subwoofer and would be interested in hearing about better (less expensive) options. Thanks.

Fronts: 683s

Center: HTM61

Rears: 686

Receiver: Denon 3312ci (plan on returning the 2113ci I bought earlier this week)

#12,612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22788183

Just picked up a new B&W 5.1 set, which includes the below listed speakers. Prior to my purchase, I demoed the KEF Q700 and Q900, the B&W 683 and CM9 and the MA RX6. I decided to go with the 683s. Please let me know what you think of this setup or if I should swap any of the speakers out for others. I am open to suggestions and have a few weeks to try these out. I'm not sold on the subwoofer and would be interested in hearing about better (less expensive) options. Thanks.

Fronts: 683s

Center: HTM61

Rears: 686

Receiver: Denon 3312ci (plan on returning the 2113ci I bought earlier this week)

Based on reviews, the HTM61 is pretty bad and AFAIK the 686 speakers aren't efficient and 685s would be a much better buy.

If you liked your setup then by all means keep it though!

#12,613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22788204

Based on reviews, the HTM61 is pretty bad and AFAIK the 686 speakers aren't efficient and 685s would be a much better buy.

Concur. 685s for surrounds and consider either 685 or CMC2 for the center. Again, if you like it keep it.

#12,614 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22788204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22788248

Concur. 685s for surrounds and consider either 685 or CMC2 for the center. Again, if you like it keep it.

Yeah. I wasn't sold on the 686s, the sub or the center channel. They sounded pretty good in the store, but I was looking at getting dipoles for the rear or the 685s. Do you have a better subwoofer recommendation? Also, in the store the HTM61 sounded better than the CMC. They didn't have a CMC2 to audition. The CMC2 is also considerably more expensive.

#12,615 ·
Don't know what sub you have but B&W makes good subs, just over priced. I am a fan of sealed subs but not really up on the ID options, what is your split on music and movies? That might help others who are more up on those to recommend.

#12,618 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22788321

Don't know what sub you have but B&W makes good subs, just over priced. I am a fan of sealed subs but not really up on the ID options, what is your split on music and movies? That might help others who are more up on those to recommend.

I got the ASW610. Thoughts?

#12,619 ·
CMC's design isn't good as well which is why people suggest CMC2 even though you might not need the extra power.

As for the subwoofer, I honestly didn't get to hear B&W woofers, but when it comes to price to performance ratio, I highly doubt it can be better than SVS, HSU or other internet brand companies that are very popular on these forums, I suggest asking in the subwoofer forum you'll get much better replies there if you mentioned your price range.

#12,620 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTorious1  /t/755048/b-w-owners-thread/12600#post_22789463

I got the ASW610. Thoughts?
From what I know the ASW610 is very good for music but a bit lacking for HT unless your room is small. As noted, there are several Internet direct brands that provide better value but again, the 610 is still a good sub.