post #19171 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Based on the power draw of my 4Bsst2 vs my Parasound Halo A31 I have to assume some notable class A bias. Also Thrangs note of significant heat from the 7Bsst2s vs the 600 watt Mac monos make me suspect a fair bit of class A bias.

Not necessarily, I think most people would be surprised at how few watts they actually use for probably 90+% of our system usage. Just curious though, are the A31's pure Class A or pure Class A/B?

I have run two 4B's and a 6B for years and never noticed any appreciable heat from either and my 6B has a shelf above it with no more than a finger's width of clearance so very poor ventilation as it ventilates from the top and doesn't have the luxury of the external heat sinks at the sides like the 3, 4, 7, 14 and 28 and it only ever gets mildly warm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19172 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Not necessarily, I think most people would be surprised at how few watts they actually use for probably 90+% of our system usage. Just curious though, are the A31's pure Class A or pure Class A/B?

I have run two 4B's and a 6B for years and never noticed any appreciable heat from either and my 6B has a shelf above it with no more than a finger's width of clearance so very poor ventilation as it ventilates from the top and doesn't have the luxury of the external heat sinks at the sides like the 3, 4, 7, 14 and 28 and it only ever gets mildly warm.
The A31 has a class A bias of around 7-8 watts meaning at idle up to this it will be only in class A operation. When it gets above this level it shifts to AB, to my understanding. The two channel A21 has a higher class A bias of around 10 watts but generates more heat than the A31. I guess thinking this through, the amount of class A bias does not explain all the heat output.
post #19173 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 299
This is such a joke!

"Mr Smith found an almost new pair of 1-meter Transparent Balanced Reference Interconnect listed on Audiogon at a great price. He jumped at the chance. When he hooked them up to his Krell system, though, they just didn't sound right. He was almost ready to send them back for a refund when his friend asked him if he had the cables calibrated for his system.
“Calibrated? What?!”
“Call Transparent, and tell them your serial number. They’ll know what components were intended to be used with your cable.”

Mr. Smith called Transparent. He told Demos, Transparent’s customer service guru, the model and serial number of his cables and told him he had a Krell system.
Transparent called Mr. Smith back with the info: “When we built those cables, they were optimized for an Audio Research preamp and amp. No wonder the cables didn’t sound right in your system. The ARC system has totally different impedance characteristics from Krell components. You need to take your cables to a Transparent dealer and have them returned to us for calibration.

You have 2 options: basic calibration or certification.”
“What’s the difference and what does each cost? “ Mr. Smith asked.
“Basic calibration for Reference Balanced Interconnects would be $350. Certification includes calibration, new packaging, and a warranty. The warranty will give you upgrade privileges and future calibrations will be no charge.

Certification for your cables would be $700."
post #19174 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
What's your observation of the 4Bsst2 vs. the A31?
Using a Kil-o-watt meter the A31 runs around 60-70 watt if memory serves (which was much lower than expected) where the 4B was between 150-190 watts both at idle or low level music.
post #19175 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
This is such a joke!

"Mr Smith found an almost new pair of 1-meter Transparent Balanced Reference Interconnect listed on Audiogon at a great price. He jumped at the chance. When he hooked them up to his Krell system, though, they just didn't sound right. He was almost ready to send them back for a refund when his friend asked him if he had the cables calibrated for his system.
“Calibrated? What?!”
“Call Transparent, and tell them your serial number. They’ll know what components were intended to be used with your cable.”

Mr. Smith called Transparent. He told Demos, Transparent’s customer service guru, the model and serial number of his cables and told him he had a Krell system.
Transparent called Mr. Smith back with the info: “When we built those cables, they were optimized for an Audio Research preamp and amp. No wonder the cables didn’t sound right in your system. The ARC system has totally different impedance characteristics from Krell components. You need to take your cables to a Transparent dealer and have them returned to us for calibration.

“Basic calibration for Reference Balanced Interconnects would be $350. Certification includes calibration, new packaging, and a warranty. The warranty will give you upgrade privileges and future calibrations will be no charge.

I remember reading this somewhere not too long ago. I was amused.
post #19176 of 19185 Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
This is such a joke!

“Calibrated? What?!”

Wow, that is hilarious. I wonder if he explained the process of calibrating cables and what tools he used to reach the optimal level of calibration.
post #19177 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is such a joke!

“Calibrated? What?!”

Ah yes, good ole Transparent. The company which charges astronomical prices yet does not publish anything about their "tech", no white papaers that I have ever seen, no patents, etc. to even try and explain/justify any of those costs.
Their upcoming flagship Magnum Opus is even calibrated/optomized for the rooms average temperture which of course more than justifies the $30k upcharge over the current Opus

Last edited by Rod#S; Yesterday at 05:24 AM.
post #19178 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Using a Kil-o-watt meter the A31 runs around 60-70 watt if memory serves (which was much lower than expected) where the 4B was between 150-190 watts both at idle or low level music.
Yeah the Brystons due consume a fair bit of juice at idle. According to the manuals these are the idle numbers:

3B-SST2 - 127 watts
4B-SST2 - 170 watts
6B-SST2 - 225 watts
7B-SST2 - 215 watts
28B-SST2 - 215 watts

Last edited by Rod#S; Yesterday at 06:07 AM.
post #19179 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
How does sound compare?

post #19180 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
How does sound compare?
I have not compared. The 4B runs my L&R where the A31 does my center and surrounds. I know I need to do an AB comparison at some point. Of course it will be discounted because it won't be ABX
post #19181 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I have not compared. The 4B runs my L&R where the A31 does my center and surrounds. I know I need to do an AB comparison at some point. Of course it will be discounted because it won't be ABX
Would still love your opinion if you ever get a chance to compare them. Thanks.

post #19182 of 19185 Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you Patrick for such sage and timely advice regarding updating the software in my DB1.

Factually the software could well be the culprit; as mine is of the earliest available. I have downloaded the latest with attendant instructions, and will do the upgrade tomorrow. Hopefully, this will do the job.

Cheers,
Alan
post #19183 of 19185 Old Today, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to the forum.

We've had our CM10's for about two weeks now. They are setup in a 5.1 configuration. Music is our priority.
I know they aren't the top of the line of anything, but we are very happy.
I put on Hotel California, turned it up, and almost made the wife cry. (She's seen them in concert 4 times over the years)
Justified.

B
post #19184 of 19185 Old Today, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Introducing- newCMseries

Check out our Facebook feed for more information
https://www.facebook.com/BowersWilkins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newCM6.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
post #19185 of 19185 Old Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Introducing- newCMseries

Check out our Facebook feed for more information
https://www.facebook.com/BowersWilkins
A personal peeve...I am tired of manufacturers trying to push Facebook or Twitter hits when they have an otherwise functioning website.

I knew the concept jumped the shark a few years ago when Best Buy took out full 30 second TV spots simply to sell the idea of going to their social media sites - an odd reliance on traditional media to try and prop up a new media approach.

I have a 18 and 25 year old, and I've asked them and any of their friends that stop by if social media affects their buying decisions, or if they use it so tell their friends about some cool new product. Their facial expressions indicated they felt sorry for me and my obvious mis-wired little brain.

I work off and on in the web marketing industry, and there is a highly manufactured effort to sell managed services relating to everything from posts, to tweets, to reputation management, to hyperlocal, to whatever...but it is largely a manufactured need, and many companies right now scramble to participate so they're not caught lagging a competitor, not because they know or understand that it actually helps their business.

So when the B&W web site proper is ready to talk about the new line, I'll take a look!

(Wow, this almost qualifies as a rant, and I haven't even had my first cup of coffee!)

Last edited by thrang; Today at 05:46 AM.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com