B&W Owner's Thread - Page 642 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19231 of 19244 Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't like the front face of the new CM bookshelf speakers. The previous version with the overlapping circles and the little bolts around the ring had a high-tech, rugged, yet extremely classy look.

The new ones look too smooth and perhaps too generic. They almost look like KRK Rokit monitors now.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19232 of 19244 Old 08-28-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandytemp View Post
I have the CMC2 with the CM10s up front with CM1s for surrounds with some CWM can;t remember the model in the ceiling for back surrounds. I too will be considering selling the CM1s for maybe the CM6s. Although at $2,000.00, they are a bit steep.
I agree, I think the CMC2 S2 and the CM9 S2 will be the accompaniment to my 1st gen CM5's. I don't think the CM6 is going to be $400 better, especially for a speaker that will eventually find it's way to surround duties. If they made a CMC3 with a tweeter on top, I might change my story. Then they would have 3 full systems to mix and match from. CM10, CM6, CMC3 all tweeter on top, CM9, CM5, CMC2 inboard tweeters, and CM8, CM1, CMC for smaller rooms or lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumuser09 View Post
I don't like the front face of the new CM bookshelf speakers. The previous version with the overlapping circles and the little bolts around the ring had a high-tech, rugged, yet extremely classy look.

The new ones look too smooth and perhaps too generic. They almost look like KRK Rokit monitors now.

Just my opinion.
I agree the 1st gen seemed to have a more industrial design element. The newer version is too smooth and plain.

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva UMC-200
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
post #19233 of 19244 Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 326
[quote=Chise;26943905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Don't go by the reviews, go listen to them yourself.
Of course. Reviews just give you a general idea.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #19234 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The big benefit of the new trim ring around the drivers is that it allows the use of larger bolts to fasten drivers to the front baffle. This better connection results in clearer bass with better pitch definition and dynamics.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumuser09 View Post

Just my opinion.

post #19235 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Patrick, when will the 803 and/or 804's see a new model? Imminent?
When did the current iterations appear on the market?
post #19236 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
Patrick, when will the 803 and/or 804's see a new model? Imminent?
When did the current iterations appear on the market?
See his previous response here: B&W Owner's Thread

Brad
post #19237 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 08:46 AM

Thx.
How about how long these models 803,4 have been out? If 2 years unlikely to change soon; if 7 years....
post #19238 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Are most of the CM S2 speakers going to have the same tweeter as the CM10 - just not necessarily external to the cabinet?

If so, then with the CM9's getting the upgraded tweeter with some cabinet isolation with the gel packs and also improvements to the midrange speaker, is the gap between the CM9 and the CM10 going to increase, stay the same, or decrease?

I am still trying to understand the main changes and the differences between each of the models both new and old.

Thanks
post #19239 of 19244 Old 08-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thx.
How about how long these models 803,4 have been out? If 2 years unlikely to change soon; if 7 years....
Current diamond series were launched in the beginning of January 2010. Still don´t think we will see any update here for a while. They are still great!

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit - SAMSUNG ES8005 46" - MAC Mini Late 2012 i7/16GB/SSD - SYNOLOGY NAS 50TB
HP: Oppo HA-1 - Audeze LCD-3(Fazor) - Cambridge DacMagic Plus - Beyerdynamic T5p, T70p
post #19240 of 19244 Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi MultimediaGeek,

CM9S2 features the following changes:
- Decoupled Double Dome tweeter- originally developed for the CM10
- Heavier and better braced cabinets- reduces cabinet flex for a quieter presentation
- Improved crossovers featuring Mundorf Evo capacitors (silver/gold oil) which are clearer sounding the previous capacitor
- Improved wiring harness
- Nickel plated binding posts

CM10S2 adds the following features
- Tweeter on top- reduces cabinet diffraction for a more three dimensional presentation
- An additional bass driver- more dynamic, more powerful
- Fully decoupled FST midrange driver.- more resolved, clearer midrange. Placement closer to top of cabinet also reduces diffraction.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultimediaGeek View Post
Are most of the CM S2 speakers going to have the same tweeter as the CM10 - just not necessarily external to the cabinet?

If so, then with the CM9's getting the upgraded tweeter with some cabinet isolation with the gel packs and also improvements to the midrange speaker, is the gap between the CM9 and the CM10 going to increase, stay the same, or decrease?

I am still trying to understand the main changes and the differences between each of the models both new and old.

Thanks
post #19241 of 19244 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

What sort of discount might I expect purchasing new 803's from a dealer?

Also, what center might mate with these speakers other than the Diamond model? I am purchasing these speakers primarily for 2 ch audio, but they will be used for TV & movies as well, but I'm not looking to spend 1000's for a center (what difference does it make if the actors voice is not dead accurate?). Is it fair and accurate to think similar tonality is the key and all B&W speakers will share this, to a meaningful degree? Are other mfg also in play? Thanks
post #19242 of 19244 Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

So any confirmation when the cm## s2 will be available at BestBuy both in stock and in their system. Checked with magnolia mgr and seemed like it was news to them.
post #19243 of 19244 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
What sort of discount might I expect purchasing new 803's from a dealer?

Also, what center might mate with these speakers other than the Diamond model? I am purchasing these speakers primarily for 2 ch audio, but they will be used for TV & movies as well, but I'm not looking to spend 1000's for a center (what difference does it make if the actors voice is not dead accurate?). Is it fair and accurate to think similar tonality is the key and all B&W speakers will share this, to a meaningful degree? Are other mfg also in play? Thanks
The average I have heard is up to 10% on new items. Floor model, leftover etc may have a larger discount. For 5.1 or 7.1 the center channel is the most important speaker, since most of the dialog is going to be from the center speaker. The HTM4 Diamond would be the same tone, since it uses the same tweeter. I'm guessing the CMC2 S2 at $1250 would be a cheaper but still good option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultimediaGeek View Post
So any confirmation when the cm## s2 will be available at BestBuy both in stock and in their system. Checked with magnolia mgr and seemed like it was news to them.
My guy at Magnolia said it should be available mid September.

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva UMC-200
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
post #19244 of 19244 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys what do you think about the B&W CM10 (the first version)? I have decided to just spend some money on myself instead. My cousins have B&W before so they are great. The local dealer can give them to me (ex-demo) at $3200 for the pair in piano black. Is that a good deal? He said I could come over to listen to them first to see if I like them or not. Will the new CM10 s2 be better? I mean if it is and its $800 more brand new then I mine as well just get the new one instead.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page