Forum Jump: 

post #19471 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
For the first Question I would keep the S1's to me it's not that much of difference, Like Jeahren I would go with CM6 to me that's a real upgrade.

I agree that the CM6 will probably sound much better. However I don't plan to do multichannel music. I will just using for surround when watching movies. For that I think they are too much, so I am looking more into CM5 S1, CM5 S2 or CM1 S2. To match my CM10s and CMC2.

Any recommendations...?

Last edited by Acerox; 09-28-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19472 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerox View Post
I agree that the CM6 will probably sound much better. However I don't plan to do multichannel music. I will just using for surround when watching movies. For that I think they are too much, so I am looking more into CM5 S1, CM5 S2 or CM1 S2. To match my CM10s and CMC2.

Any recommendations...?
CM6 or CM5 S1 or S2.
post #19473 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
CM6 or CM5 S1 or S2.
Don't you think that the CM6 are too much for surround?

Please don't give an excuse to pull the trigger.
post #19474 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the first question that would be excellent, two go for it.
post #19475 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 02:22 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
For a room that small what benefit you would get from it.
Being immersed in sound

It' s not for the B&W room (20 x 18 x 10) It's the kids Mini HT with seven KEF LS50 and soon 4 KEF E301

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19476 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Being immersed in sound

It' s not for the B&W room (20 x 18 x 10) It's the kids Mini HT with seven KEF LS50 and soon 4 KEF E301
Cool
post #19477 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Any experiences here with the wireless speaker docks for mobile devices?

Such as the Z2, which appears to have been reduced in price from $400 to $200?
post #19478 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

An ideal situation would be to have 5x CM10's. Perfectly seamless sound transition! Often times cost or placement make having 5 or 7 identical speakers impossible. Hence the market for horizontal center channels and smaller surround speakers. I have seen setups that have CM8's as surrounds. Your ears and budget should be the determining factor. I bought CM5's and placed them up front (for the time being) and the sound of them as mains is very good. The addition of the CMC2 S2 really makes a nice front sound stage. I'm sure when I get the CM9 or CM10's to put up front, the CM5 will make a darn good sounding surround speaker. Provided you have the place to move it away from the wall (rear ported design).

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2 S2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
post #19479 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 162
All this trickle down is just fine and dandy. However, what I really really wish for is B&W to find a new Laurence Dickie equivalent superstar and make us proud with a new innovative technological leap forward.
post #19480 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Patrick -

So it is the industry not putting out the material in 7.1 and consumers who are not utilizing more than 5.1 on their receivers?

Its just odd, people want the movie theater experience in their home yet somewhere along the line only part of it is making it there. All the time you hear how; going to the movies cost to much, it is inconvenient, I'd rather watch it from the comfort of my living room. It is like going 4 wheeling in a 4x4 but keeping it in 2 wheel drive. Here I could really use 4 drive wheels but I am only going to use 2.
post #19481 of 19489 Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am jumping into the wrong thread. I am building a home theater and considering the CT7.3 cabinet vs the CWM7.3 in wall speakers from B&W. Would the CT7.3 speakers sound better and worth building a false wall for?
post #19482 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Consumers are just not adding additional speakers and most sound designers work with a 5.1 palette. The movie theater experience can readily be had with just a 5.1 system. 7.1 or more (excluding Atmos for a moment) is really only of use when a home has multiple rows of seating that then requires more than one pair of surround for proper envelopment.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrun View Post
Patrick -

So it is the industry not putting out the material in 7.1 and consumers who are not utilizing more than 5.1 on their receivers?

Its just odd, people want the movie theater experience in their home yet somewhere along the line only part of it is making it there. All the time you hear how; going to the movies cost to much, it is inconvenient, I'd rather watch it from the comfort of my living room. It is like going 4 wheeling in a 4x4 but keeping it in 2 wheel drive. Here I could really use 4 drive wheels but I am only going to use 2.
post #19483 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Ewshook,

CI700 and CT700 are interchangeable series. They use the same quality of parts and have the same overall level of sound quality, but are adapted for differing uses. All of that said, I prefer using CT7.3 for a theater. They give you more control over the final system because they are not mounted in a wall (and subject to all the downsides of wall construction.)

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewshook View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am jumping into the wrong thread. I am building a home theater and considering the CT7.3 cabinet vs the CWM7.3 in wall speakers from B&W. Would the CT7.3 speakers sound better and worth building a false wall for?
post #19484 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrun View Post
Patrick -

Well I'll be honest most of my friends that have a home theater are all still using a 5.1 setup (as am I). On the home theater crawl I went on recently, everyone there was using more than 5 channels (3 theaters). I'm planning on updating to 7.1 at some point in the next year. Mainly it is a cost and space issue for most (for the benefit it offers). 5.1 still gets you most of the way towards enveloping sound. Even with just 5.1 our home theater outperforms the majority of real theaters.
Chise and highd3f like this.

post #19485 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
I used to be able to select the option to turn off enhanced mobile view...but ever since a couple days ago, as soon as I try to view a thread, it immediately re-loads enhanced mobile view. Somehow the functionality to turn it off has become broken. So, I no longer view this forum on my mobile device. I wait until I'm on my laptop. It's a shame...

I use tapatalk because I cannot stand the enhanced mobile view

Frank

post #19486 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewshook View Post

I use the CT 7.3 for LCR and the 7.5 for surrounds.
I've never tried an inwall speaker but I've been told the cabinet design is the better way too go for all speakers.
Regarding the the CT 7.3, turn off the lights they make my 2:37:1 Stewart screen come alive.

Frank

post #19487 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Well I'll be honest most of my friends that have a home theater are all still using a 5.1 setup (as am I). On the home theater crawl I went on recently, everyone there was using more than 5 channels (3 theaters). I'm planning on updating to 7.1 at some point in the next year. Mainly it is a cost and space issue for most (for the benefit it offers). 5.1 still gets you most of the way towards enveloping sound. Even with just 5.1 our home theater outperforms the majority of real theaters.
To me 5.1 is enough, the right combo works everytime especially if you have BW's speakers period.
post #19488 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

Liked: 3
I have chosen to stay with 5.1 because I have always used it from its inception. I don't own a receiver there fore in order to jump to 7.1 would require adding speakers and power amps. I would rather spend my money on improving my current set up. I run a preamp processor with a separate 5 channel power amp at 250W per channel. The power amp drives my CM9 (LR) CM Center 2 (CTN) B&W D6(surround). I just start downloading Hi Resolution music and love to listen in All Stereo mode. I need to replace my rears they are 15yrs old. I have the preamp processor and OPPO Multi disc player networked to my computer which makes it easy to listen to music without moving from my chair. I direct stream Spotify and Sirus. At this stage I am starting to listen to Music more than watch movies, it must be my old age.
post #19489 of 19489 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i am confused about a pair of speakers I have found open box at a local best buy - I did post about them earlier and got an answer but I wanted to see if anyone could confirm for sure that the exact model/etc. of these speakers so I can find out what the actual price would be new.

I know some do not suggest open box speakers but if I get the same coverage from Best buy (as far as returns go i get 45 days) as I would elsewhere is there another reason why I wouldn't be able to determine quickly if something was not quite right with the set? Here is the description....

from what i can tell at this location they have an entire set of B&W speakers that someone obviously returned or they had out as demos as I see a center and a couple bookshelfs also open box....looking like a stellar deal to grab em all if I only had the money!!

Bowers and Wilkins - Open Box - 6-1/2" 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker (Each) - Painted Gloss Black

Model: CM9GB SKU: 1290467
Open-Box ID: 200001730726983 | Condition: Excellent
Learn more about open box items
Dual 6-1/2" cone woofers; 1" aluminum dome tweeter; Nautilus tube-loaded tweeter design; high-quality minimalist crossover design
Customer Reviews: 5.0 of 5 5.0 of 5 (20 reviews)
*All customer reviews displayed are for new in-box product.
Available for store pickup at GAITHERSBURG MD

ONLY 1 AVAILABLE
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com