Forum Jump: 

post #19501 of 19503 Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
I looked at the CM series 2 line. I was considering the power handling aspect. Would be nice to know I could throw 200 watts (peak) at it with minimal distortion. I sometimes wonder if the speakers I buy can't quite handle full power on loud scenes. Not in the sense of being damaged, I don't worry about that, but in the sense of distortion caused by inadequate power handling. I also want sufficient bass that when you crossover at 80hz, there's no hole in the coverage ( I have guessed that means you want pretty good response down to 40hz but that's a guess.)

I suppose I would prefer to leave my 685's for the rear surrounds due to cost and hope they mostly match an all CM front. And I suppose I could manage to afford CM9 with a CM center. CM10 would probably be well over budget. CM8's would probably be more in line with my budget than CM9s unless I got a really good deal
Check around with any local B&W dealer in your area.
Maybe you can find a good deal on CM10 S1 & CM Center S1 demo models being moved out to make room for the CM series S2.

B&W CM10 fronts-B&W CM10 rears-CM2 Center-ASWCM12 sub---Rotel RSP-1572 pre-amp-Rotel RMB-1585 amp---Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray---SurgeX QX515---Samsung UN60H7150---AppleTV---Acoustimac DMD-422 acoustic panels 48"X24"X2" (11) w/ Owens Corning 703.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19502 of 19503 Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks! it actually says 1 speaker in the cut and paste but they just have them listed as singles (there are two) instead of by the pair...I actually went by the store they have them at and they have a separate table out front of their dinky magnolia area for two center channels (CM5s I think), two sets of towers (believe the others are CM684?) and a couple bookshelf sets that actually had no tags on them at all. The tags state they they carry the full manufacturers warranty and are in excellent condition...I am guessing that B&W would beg to differ according to what I have heard in this forum right?

Anyway - just curious that if I brought them home and tested them out and everything worked ok do these speakers tend to wear and tear quickly or perhaps I have just become accustomed to the pair of alphas I have had for over 10 years that despite a couple dings/tears in the woofers/cones I am convinced they sound as good as the day I bought them - or so close I wouldn't consider replacing any parts yet anyway.

I think that the CM9S2s sound pretty amazing (from a limited audition I did at another BB with a better room for listening) but not quite worth the price tag. However - I cannot speak for what they would sound like when properly setup in a one's home theater/listening area.

maybe I am a exception but I have had food experiences with Best Buy in my many years of inputs purchasing (almost behind me now) with open box products but perhaps some others have had different experiences?

I am awaiting a dual sub delivery that should arrive from SVS in a couple of days and since I had a front LR speaker upgrade in mind when i bought the new subs i know it is only a matter of time so I am starting my search now and really liked the B&W sound I heard despite my initial ignorant perception of them being over hyped.
post #19503 of 19503 Old 09-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Anyone have Devialet 120 or 200 to drive B&W 805D's? it looks like B&W's are SAM ready so wondering about sound when paired up..
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page