post #19681 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
i am on the search for a deal on a center to match my recently purchased CM10s from B&W (not S2s).

I found a CMC2GB at best buy open box and even though I am sure it it is probably not the S2 version (which I understand is a better match for my fronts I am thinking it would work just fine with the CM10s...anyone suggest I hold out for CMC2 S2 instead?

Supposed it is possible that BB labeled it wrong and it is a S2 because the cost is about the same but i doubt it. going for 900 bucks about

thoughts?
From user reports the CMC2 S2 is a better match to the CM10's (S1 or S2). I found differences in the high end comparing the CM10 to the CM9 that would support that finding.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19682 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanishq02 View Post
My new setup with new B&W CM S2 series...what do you guys think?

Nice!
post #19683 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
B&W Owner's Thread

Hello everyone!

I got the 683 S2 speakers. 100% music.

Just wondering what you think about locations. Any advice for optimal placement?

Also I wonder about the base? There're no kids or pets that may knock it down and I read some where that was better to leave the off. What you think about that?

Here's a picture. Forgot to take one front view

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413821161.893815.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	321473

Last edited by Gerardo2068; 10-20-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #19684 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Looks quite nice. However, the hippo should be charging the elephants to increase dramatic tension

If you can, pull the center to the front edge of the cabinet, and if you can pull the mains a little further into the room, might help with placement.
LOL...yes, point taken. I will move my center towards the edge of the cabinet. For mains, I am not sure if I have enough space to move them further in the room, considering aesthetic in mind. Can I remove the base of these speakers? That would give me more room to bring them in. Is this advisable and will it have any negative impact on sound quality if I do that?
post #19685 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
it looks really inviting
only that cable on the fireplace mantle is an eye-sore.

by the way, what do use to power the speakers?
post #19686 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
I have compared both in the store, But if was me, I would keep my S1's
Any specific reason why? More detail, better high's etc?

home theater addict
post #19687 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a quick question about my 683 speakers (s1) that I'm hoping maybe Patrick will chime in on, but anyone else who knows, please by all means let me know. The specs for my speakers say that the lower end of the frequency response (+/-3db) is at 38 Hz. I noticed that the specs for the new 683 S2s have the lower end of the FR listed at 52 Hz, and even the new CM10s with their extra bass driver shows the lower end at something like 42 Hz, still a little above the 683 S1s.

My question is: Does this reflect a difference in design? If so I'm curious about the philosophy behind it? Or are the specs of the older (or newer?) 683 not accurate? Thanks in advance.

B&W 683s1<---Marantz PM8004 Integrated Amp<---Marantz CD6004 (Love this setup, working great for me).
post #19688 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Nice setup
post #19689 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Nice setup
Thank you
post #19690 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Any specific reason why? More detail, better high's etc?
When I listen CM9 and CM5 S1"s compared to the S2's was not that much of difference, if you are going to upgrade CM6 would be they to go or 800 Diamonds series.
post #19691 of 19699 Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you
As long you are happy with, that's all it matter.
post #19692 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
I have CM10 S1 and I find them very versatile. Like you, I am mostly music, I would say 90-95% music and the occasional movie. I listen to anything and everything, mostly fusion jazz, easy listening 70s and rock and roll, I am not into heavy metal or thrash. The 3 bass drivers have no problem with the bass, and the kevlar FST mid-range seems to handle guitar/vocals without issue and are clear and very detailed.

As far as your second question, there are so many variables and options to "getting the best sound out of these". I would suggest an in-home trial of the CM10. There is no substitute for listing to your speakers choices in your room with your equipment. If there is a B&W dealer near you, inquire about borrowing a set of CM10 for a couple of days. Many dealers will also loan you an amp and pre-amp, so this way you would be able to do a side by side comparison with your Pioneer and some separates your dealer may offer. Then you will be able to answer the question yourself as to weather you think an upgrade is worth wild and reduce the chance you will "make a wrong decision". I think all B&W dealers also carry Rotel, which are very good quality, mid-priced separates that go well with B&W products. I believe list on the pre-amp RSP-1572 is $2,000 and the RMB-1585 amp, 200X5, is $3,000. I use them with my CM10s and am very happy with them. Room acoustics are also very important in getting a good sound. So if you don't like the sound you get, a few acoustic panels strategically placed is a pretty inexpensive way to improve sound.

One thing that I think would make a big difference and a noticeable quality improvement, would be not listening to compressed audio like MP3 files. There is a huge difference when listening to a CD, FLAC, or ALAC files versus an MP3. So you can rip your music to your computer as ALAC or FLAC and run a USB from your computer to a DAC and the difference would be night and day. If you have iPad/iPhone, use ALAC so the files will play on your portable devises. ALAC and FLAC are "lossless", MP3 is "lossy", so there is a big difference in quality. Streaming from your computer via bluetooth like with an AppleTV is ok, but hard wire for best results. You mention Spotify...I will frequently listen to Pandora, which streams at 128kbps, and sounds pretty good. I am not sure about Spotify as I never used it.

Remember, ever person you ask to answer your questions will have a different opinion and answer, as there are so many great ways and choices to get good sound. No one is right or wrong, it is just personal preference. The best thing to do is listen for yourself and develop your own opinion as to what you like and don't like and take it from there, just have some fun with it.
Thank you for taking the time to write that up! Well, I have no patience, a little more money than brains, and made a purchase. I just can't shop for months on end like some do, drives me nuts! haha Here's what just happened:

CM10's
Rotel RMB-1585 amp (which will be bi-amped)
Marantz AV7702 PreAmp
SVS Ultra Subwoofer
RBlink DAC (Not sold on this yet)
Expensive cables that totally wasted my money

I will be adding surround later, but right now I just want music. Will 400 amps per CM10 be perfect power or will they crave more?

As for my source, I just don't have cd's any longer but I guess I could find some of my favorites for cheap. I just wish streaming could get it right with their quality, it's soooo convenient. I have a lot to learn about FLAC and where I can get those files. However, I already own a full iTunes library of garbage quality music and I really don't want to buy it again! Thanks for all the help!
post #19693 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Pioneer elites in the SC series do good on the highs Denon and Marantz sound better on the bass from my experiences
Any SC? What about the Elite VSX's? I even was curious about the new Sony ES receivers that just got announced, but many poopoo'd it for a lack of Atmos (which given my non-Atmos based speaker purchase I'm considering, I'm wondering if that even really matters).

Quote:
Nice! That is about what I was considering getting (minus the ceiling stuff). Just out of curiosity, how big is your room? My concern is that getting that might be overload for my space, but I want the external tweeter, and am unsure if I want to downgrade to the CM6's (and, presumably, downgrade the center with it). But the CM10 + S2 center seems like a lot, not to mention I already have a pretty sturdy Sunfire Sub that would barely be needed with all that low end already. Basically, can a setup like that be in a room too small and overwhelm it?
post #19694 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post
Any SC? What about the Elite VSX's? I even was curious about the new Sony ES receivers that just got announced, but many poopoo'd it for a lack of Atmos (which given my non-Atmos based speaker purchase I'm considering, I'm wondering if that even really matters).

Nice! That is about what I was considering getting (minus the ceiling stuff). Just out of curiosity, how big is your room? My concern is that getting that might be overload for my space, but I want the external tweeter, and am unsure if I want to downgrade to the CM6's (and, presumably, downgrade the center with it). But the CM10 + S2 center seems like a lot, not to mention I already have a pretty sturdy Sunfire Sub that would barely be needed with all that low end already. Basically, can a setup like that be in a room too small and overwhelm it?
Any SC models and Atmos does not impress me for my house I don't need it plus Bw's speakers separate very well.
post #19695 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

My room is about 14x20, I think. Also, I had CM9s S2 for few weeks till I exchanged them with CM10s. Thought lets get the best I could effort and few hundred dollars wont make much difference over the period of time...rather than regretting later. But frankly speaking, I was not able to hear much difference between CM9s and CM10s (not sure if this is because new changes in S2 series compare to S1s) and now I know think I should have just kept CM9s...since they are little smaller and aesthetically would have been more pleasing . But I think you won't go wrong with either CM9s or CM10s
post #19696 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350banshee View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write that up! Well, I have no patience, a little more money than brains, and made a purchase. I just can't shop for months on end like some do, drives me nuts! haha Here's what just happened:

CM10's
Rotel RMB-1585 amp (which will be bi-amped)
Marantz AV7702 PreAmp
SVS Ultra Subwoofer
RBlink DAC (Not sold on this yet)
Expensive cables that totally wasted my money

I will be adding surround later, but right now I just want music. Will 400 amps per CM10 be perfect power or will they crave more?

As for my source, I just don't have cd's any longer but I guess I could find some of my favorites for cheap. I just wish streaming could get it right with their quality, it's soooo convenient. I have a lot to learn about FLAC and where I can get those files. However, I already own a full iTunes library of garbage quality music and I really don't want to buy it again! Thanks for all the help!
That amp should be awesome with the CM10, I have the same amp and and very pleased.

You can get FLAC and ALAC files in several places, I use https://www.hdtracks.com and http://www.prostudiomasters.com. You can get those formats and DSD files also here...http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez

Here is a site that searches multiple HD music sites....http://www.findhdmusic.com

Also, for cheap CDs, for almost anything Amazon has new, they usually have used also. I get used CDs on Amazon for usually $1-$3 in great condition. Pawn shops usually have tons of used CDs for around the same price. No reason to pay for new if you are just going to rip them and save them for backup.

Have fun and enjoy that system!

B&W CM10 fronts-B&W CM10 rears-CM2 Center-ASWCM12 sub---Rotel RSP-1572 pre-amp-Rotel RMB-1585 amp---Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray---SurgeX QX515---Samsung UN60H7150---AppleTV---Acoustimac DMD-422 acoustic panels 48"X24"X2" (11) w/ Owens Corning 703.

Last edited by KaliKid2013; Yesterday at 03:04 PM.
post #19697 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
That amp should be awesome with the CM10, I have the same amp and and very pleased.

You can get FLAC and ALAC files in several places, I use https://www.hdtracks.com and http://www.prostudiomasters.com. You can get those formats and DSD files also here...http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez

Here is a site that searches multiple HD music sites....http://www.findhdmusic.com

Also, for cheap CDs, for almost anything Amazon has new, they usually have used also. I get used CDs on Amazon for usually $1-$3 in great condition. Pawn shops usually have tons of used CDs for around the same price. No reason to pay for new if you are just going to rip them and save them for backup.

Have fun and enjoy that system!
Where do you buy your AMP from? Is there online store to buy rotel amps? Or you buy form some local dealer? Also, seems like you are not using base (plinths) for your CM10s...any particular reason for not using it? Is there any difference in sound quality if you don't use it?
post #19698 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a great deal on CM9 (S1 version) floor models from BB. Apart from some minor cosmetic issues, speakers sounded great. Just got them home tonight. I am running them with Onkyo TX-NR818, which should have more than enough power. What do you guys think? Also do these need to be toed in? Very excited about the change. Coming from polk's lsi15 models, which are also great, just became bored with them.
post #19699 of 19699 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cool

Nice set up looks like a comfortable place to watch movies and listen to music congratulations.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page