post #19711 of 19730 Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post
Looking for opinions re CMC center vs CMC2 center for my CM9 s1 versions. Forum search didn't turn up much details. The CM center will fit in my stand. Is it really bad compared to the CMC2 ? Not looking for perfection, just good timber match.
I have the CM Center because the CMC2 won't fit in my stand...I really, really wish I had the CMC2. Only way to make it fit would have been to modify my stand, cutting out part of the front trim. The CMC isn't *bad*, but it's just...kind of blah, at least to my ears. I've heard the CMC2, and could hear the difference immediately. YMMV.

If you do end up going with the CMC, work extra hard to dial it in. After I ran my room correction, it had it set to "small". I changed it to "large", and that made a big improvement. Again, YMMV.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19712 of 19730 Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, thanks. Will try to check it out locally. To be honest, I don't really care for the center so much. For movies, as long as we can hear the dialogue, I am fine. Main purpose is music. I normally listen in stereo anyway, but sometimes like to turn on Dolby surround processing on my Onkyo 818. That's when the center matters to me because what I have is not timbre matched to the CM9s. As long as the CMC sounds good for music applications, I think I will be good to go.
post #19713 of 19730 Old 10-23-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 411
The CMC is a decent center but I think the smaller drivers and lower sensitivity (84-85 dB) make it harder to drive than the much better designed 3-way CMC2. It's really designed for smaller rooms. I think it should timbre match fine with the CM9s even though the CMC2 is the perfect match.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #19714 of 19730 Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, I measured the space in my AV stand, the CMC2 is not going to fit. I did listen to the HTM1 and HTM2 (i think) at best buy today. The HTM2 certainly sounded better than the smaller sibling, but I'm guessing once set up with Audyssey in my room, the sensitivity should be fine even with smaller drivers.
post #19715 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering the 802 Diamonds. The series appears to have love/hate constituencies.
I understand they do not measure flat (but don't know the sonic implications).
What are the knocks against the speaker that I should weigh in my decision? Thanks.
post #19716 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
I am considering the 802 Diamonds. The series appears to have love/hate constituencies.
I understand they do not measure flat (but don't know the sonic implications).
What are the knocks against the speaker that I should weigh in my decision? Thanks.
No offense, but don't bother asking this question.

For this kind of coin, you need to determine that answer by listening yourself - that's it. I can tell you how much I love my 800/802 speakers, and someone else will tell you., "meh..." You also don't list their function (two channel, multi-channel music/movies), room, treatments, associated equipment.

Regardless, you are still left with needing to listen, and compare to other speakers if you are not sure. If you fall in love, be happy and do it.

I personally use them for two channel and movies in a dedicated living space, and am continually thrilled by them. Now, discard that opinion...
post #19717 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Done that and ready to pull the trigger, but dealer auditions do not reveal all that is learned living with a speaker. Just taking one more pass to learn what I can.
Two channel listening. 5500 sq ft room.
Have a Audio Research SP9 ll preamp and a Aragon 4004 ll. Considering replacing them with a Musical Fidelity integrated M6 500.
post #19718 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsnospam View Post
Ok, thanks. Will try to check it out locally. To be honest, I don't really care for the center so much. For movies, as long as we can hear the dialogue, I am fine. Main purpose is music. I normally listen in stereo anyway, but sometimes like to turn on Dolby surround processing on my Onkyo 818. That's when the center matters to me because what I have is not timbre matched to the CM9s. As long as the CMC sounds good for music applications, I think I will be good to go.
The CMC2 is a much better center. It's very obvious when comparing them. 2ch audio will sound fine, but If you find yourself getting interested in multichannel audio or Blu-Ray concerts (and you really should) the CMC2 will be worth every penny. Even for movies that do any sort of musical split across the front channels the CMC2 will be much better.

post #19719 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I need advice on surround speakers to go with the new B&W CM 9s. B&W doesn't really have a good surround selection, except perhaps in-wall/ceiling. Can anyone suggest a good on-wall surround option? My room is 25x15x10.
Also, one suggestion I'm considering is a pair of the 684S2s to be placed as back surrounds. This option would probably work well for music, but I wonder about the SQ for movies. Thanks, Ed
post #19720 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by welked View Post
I need advice on surround speakers to go with the new B&W CM 9s. B&W doesn't really have a good surround selection, except perhaps in-wall/ceiling. Can anyone suggest a good on-wall surround option? My room is 25x15x10.
Also, one suggestion I'm considering is a pair of the 684S2s to be placed as back surrounds. This option would probably work well for music, but I wonder about the SQ for movies. Thanks, Ed
Can you do CM8 or CM9 in the rear?

B&W 802 Diamonds | ASWCM12 sub | Rotel RSP-1572 pre-amp | Rotel RMB-1585 amp (bi-amping the 802 Diamonds) | Oppo BDP-105 | Samsung UN60H7150 | AppleTV | iMac/Mavericks | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner | Audioquest Cinnamon HMDI, Ethernet, & USB A/B cables | Audioquest Type 4 Speaker Cables | Tributaries Series 6 Analog Interconnects | Acoustimac DMD-422 acoustic panels 48"X24"X2" (11) w/ Owens Corning 703.
post #19721 of 19730 Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
KaliKid2013...I'm already exceeding the WAF with the CM9, so I have to think lower cost with the surrounds. But a room with CM9 up front and 8/9 rear would be awesome.
post #19722 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Is there a problem with putting CM5 or CM1 on stands in the back?

-Morfious
Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma
Emotiva XMC-1
Emotiva XPA-5
B&W (CMC2 S2, CM5)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
post #19723 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Either CM5 on stands or CCM7.4 ceilings or CWM7.3 or 4 for the walls.
post #19724 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile View Post
Done that and ready to pull the trigger, but dealer auditions do not reveal all that is learned living with a speaker. Just taking one more pass to learn what I can.
Two channel listening. 5500 sq ft room.
Have a Audio Research SP9 ll preamp and a Aragon 4004 ll. Considering replacing them with a Musical Fidelity integrated M6 500.
Not sure that a pair of them will be sufficient to "fill" a 5500 sq.ft. room with the Aragon amp but might be OK if your listening position is fairly close to the speakers. Also, with a room of that size, it is unlikely that the experiences of others will be directly relevant to your situation.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #19725 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

After reviewing Kal's MITR review for the yamaha pre/pro and amp, I took the plunge for both units (been eyeing them for a while now, got a great price for both).

The units are paired with a couple of CM10 S2 and CM5 for the back surround.

My dilemma lies in the center channel... As many others, my rack won't fit the cmc2, just the cmc... I auditioned a cmc s1 but I had to run the unit cracked up in order to avoid the cm10's from overpowering it. I having a carpenter over tomorrow to see if he can lower the center shelf by 1" and fit the cmc2.

In case this won't be possible, will the new cmc s2 be much better and blend better? Else, what are your thoughts on this?

My BDI rack has an 8" space to accommodate the center speaker...
post #19726 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcamil View Post
Hi,

After reviewing Kal's MITR review for the yamaha pre/pro and amp, I took the plunge for both units (been eyeing them for a while now, got a great price for both).

The units are paired with a couple of CM10 S2 and CM5 for the back surround.

My dilemma lies in the center channel... As many others, my rack won't fit the cmc2, just the cmc... I auditioned a cmc s1 but I had to run the unit cracked up in order to avoid the cm10's from overpowering it. I having a carpenter over tomorrow to see if he can lower the center shelf by 1" and fit the cmc2.

In case this won't be possible, will the new cmc s2 be much better and blend better? Else, what are your thoughts on this?

My BDI rack has an 8" space to accommodate the center speaker...
I know it's not the answer you're looking for but the CMC2 S2 would be the best match. The CMC2 S1 would be my second choice. The CMC S2 gets the new tweeter upgrade but it's still the same size with the same size woofers and might still be overwhelmed (although this is curious since I assume you're using some sort of calibration).

post #19727 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
I know it's not the answer you're looking for but the CMC2 S2 would be the best match. The CMC2 S1 would be my second choice. The CMC S2 gets the new tweeter upgrade but it's still the same size with the same size woofers and might still be overwhelmed (although this is curious since I assume you're using some sort of calibration).
Yep, Im using the Yamaha YPAO RSC calibration but I feel I have not reached a good performance from it.
Before the CM10's I had connected the Monitor Audio RX 8 Silver and Centre, and the balance was quite good. Now, with the B&W speakers, I find the overall timbre too bright (this was also with the CMC installed). I have fiddled with the manual eq but I find that selecting the through (no eq) setting sounds best for the B&W speakers.

The YPAO sets the level for the cmc at +6db but I find I need to raise it to almost +9db in order to have the balanced sound as before.

Maybe Kal Rubinson can shed some light on this subject since he thoroughly played with it for the Stereophile review...
post #19728 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcamil View Post
Yep, Im using the Yamaha YPAO RSC calibration but I feel I have not reached a good performance from it.
Before the CM10's I had connected the Monitor Audio RX 8 Silver and Centre, and the balance was quite good. Now, with the B&W speakers, I find the overall timbre too bright (this was also with the CMC installed). I have fiddled with the manual eq but I find that selecting the through (no eq) setting sounds best for the B&W speakers.

The YPAO sets the level for the cmc at +6db but I find I need to raise it to almost +9db in order to have the balanced sound as before.

Maybe Kal Rubinson can shed some light on this subject since he thoroughly played with it for the Stereophile review...
That definitely seems excessive. Is the center at ear height, pulled to the front of the stand/shelf or at least angled up slightly toward the listening position?

post #19729 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Not sure that a pair of them will be sufficient to "fill" a 5500 sq.ft. room with the Aragon amp but might be OK if your listening position is fairly close to the speakers. Also, with a room of that size, it is unlikely that the experiences of others will be directly relevant to your situation.
I assumed he meant 5500 cu ft but even so 20 x 20 x 10 is 4000 cu ft so if true, that is a large room.
post #19730 of 19730 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

18x28x10 so ~5000 cf; listening seat 12' from spkr.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page