Forum Jump: 
post #19921 of 19929 Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I just bought a pair of 804 Diamonds and an HTM-4 Diamond center. I currently have an Emotiva XPA-3 Generation 2 amplifier. Will I be doing these speakers a disservice by using this amp? I'm sure there better amps out there, but if I was looking to keep my budget under $2000 is there anything out there was will give me a noticeable improvement over the XPA-3?
With a Parasound you will not missing nothing, it's the best amp under its budget to me and better than rotel.
postrokfan likes this.

Leo,
Saludos
My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Channel Denon AVR 3310, A31 parasound center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD
Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Yamaha AVR663 amp, Rotel RB1582.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19922 of 19929 Unread 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi Richard,

FYI, the ports on new Series 2 CM and 600 products are identical.

Regarding the "button" (we refer to as an anti-resonance plug) we use them in both new series because it is very effective, as we found when developing the PM1. You can read more about the technology here. There are advantages and disadvantages to putting a port on the rear or front of a speaker. No free lunches.

Every room is a unique acoustical space, and how a speaker is maximally used in that space is as unique a solution as the room itself.

Cheers,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Hello - I'm just a stereo-tot by modern standards. But I once owned some pretty good gear back in the 80s and still use some vintage equipment in the basement.

I recently purchased last year's 685s as well as 686s. I'm using a pair of 686's as a center channel - mostly because they probably sound as good as BWs traditional center channel - and can be re-used in a future configuration differently. I figure a pair of 686's laying "top-to-top" works as well as a HTM62. (maybe better)

Before I deployed these speakers - I gave them a good listen. Now that I realize the even B&W can't figure out where and how to port their various speakers - some to the front -some to the back - I have to conclude that it's up to each speaker owner to engineer the best sound they can from their own acoustical environs.

While it can be fun and entertaining to wax on about the qualities of each forum members sound machines and listening experiences, I find it amusing that the engineers of an award winning speaker company resort to changing the "button" on a driver - or the direction of an enclosure port to "improve" their products. (as in the new S2 series)

I guess the point of my comment is this - if professional engineers, that have studied problems relating sound reproduction, can make radical changes to their products from year to year - don't carry too many preconceived notions into your attempts to configure your own sound space.

Let your grin be your guide...........
post #19923 of 19929 Unread 11-24-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Patrick, I noticed the CM5 S2 no longer uses the Mundorf Supreme cap. Was there a particular reason for the change?
post #19924 of 19929 Unread Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I ended up purchasing the new FS-CM S2 stands in black for my CM5s. I am super impressed with the quality of these stands. They are beautiful and extremely well built. It's too bad I am using them for surrounds because they really do look good.

They have built in cable management and can be filled with sand. Don't think the previous version had this capability.
post #19925 of 19929 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
We added some CM6s to the showroom. I spent a few minutes with them this morning and liked their tonal presentation. I need to tinker with the setup a bit to bring out a better soundstage. They look classy.
post #19926 of 19929 Unread Today, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I ended up purchasing the new FS-CM S2 stands in black for my CM5s. I am super impressed with the quality of these stands. They are beautiful and extremely well built. It's too bad I am using them for surrounds because they really do look good.

They have built in cable management and can be filled with sand. Don't think the previous version had this capability.
I am curious - are speaker stands critical enough in quality of build and improvement in placement/sound of speakers to justify paying 2/3 the cost of the pair of speakers brand new?

No offense to the poster, really, I am honestly curious on the matter.
post #19927 of 19929 Unread Today, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The short answer is yes. Unfortunately, they are best made out of metal and by the time you actually build a proper stand, it costs really money. Let me know if you want the longer answer.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
I am curious - are speaker stands critical enough in quality of build and improvement in placement/sound of speakers to justify paying 2/3 the cost of the pair of speakers brand new?

No offense to the poster, really, I am honestly curious on the matter.
post #19928 of 19929 Unread Today, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One of my friends is looking to buy B&W speakers from a local store. 50% music and 50% TV - Sports/Movies. This is for his living room 20 x 18 with 12' ceiling

I'm a klipsch guy and don't have lot of knowledge on B&W. Can you please comment on pricing and options for him

Tower Option 1 (Highest Model in B&W 600 Series) - http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/683.html
2 x 683bk
2 x 686bk
1x Htm62bk
$1926.00 before tax
$2084.90 after tax

​Tower Option 2 - http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/684.html
2 x 684bk
2 x 686bk
1 x htm62bk
$1688 before tax
$1827.26 after tax

Book shelf Option - http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/686.html
4 x 686bk
1 x htm62bk
1210 before tax
1309.83 with tax + $100 stands
post #19929 of 19929 Unread Today, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
The short answer is yes. Unfortunately, they are best made out of metal and by the time you actually build a proper stand, it costs really money. Let me know if you want the longer answer.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group USA
I also like the fact that you can actually bolt the CM5 down to the stand. The whole thing becomes very sturdy especially when filled up with sand.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com