B&W Owner's Thread - Page 670 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > B&W Owner's Thread

Speakers

CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2
02:05 PM Liked: 27
post #20071 of 20082
Yesterday | Posts: 1,317
Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcamil View Post
for those wanting an opinion on the CMC vs CMC S2, I can chime in...

As I mentioned here before, my BDI Rack can't receive the CMC2, I tried adapting the rack by lowering the middle shelf but my carpenter said that would indeed screw the rack apart. I was stuck with a CMC..

So, I talked to my local B&W Dealer and he had a CMC S1 for a very good price... I asked him if I could demo it in my system (Yamaha CX A5000 PrePro and MX A5000 amp). After some paperwork, he lent me the CMC for a day... like many said, the sound was meh. The voice sounded a little better than my previous Monitor Audio Silver RX Centre but I also had to crank the volume way too hot to avoid my CM10 S2 for drowning it. Overall quite mediocre.

Finally I travelled to Chicago 3 weeks ago and I took a leap of faith and got the CMC S2...

WOW.

The sound of the center, right out of the box, was night and day compared to the Monitor Audio and to the CMC S1. With this one, I do not have to crank the volume leve too much and it plays very well with my existing CM10 S2.
I can only wonder how good the CMC2 S2 must sound.

Still, Im happy with my current configuration which includes:

Yamaha CX A5000 Pre/Pro
Yamaha MX A500 Amp
Oppo BDP 103
Project Carbon Debut with Ortofon Red Cartridge
B&W CM10 S2 front
B&W CMC S2 center
B&W CM5 rear surround
Monitor Audio Bipolar RX Silver Surround
Definitive Tech x2 Prosub 1000 (L&R)

Happy to hear opinions on what to place for side surrounds instead of the MA.
The towers look nice. I am thinking about replacing my Paradigm Signature 2v3's for some CM10's. Not sure how the CM10ls will compare to my Sig2's. This will be in a smaller bedroom.
baranowski's Avatar baranowski
07:38 PM Liked: 18
post #20072 of 20082
Yesterday | Posts: 393
Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
What finish area you loking for?
Here is a Rosenut in Canada, doesn't say if he exports or not.
Asking price is 5000CA / $4,300 US plus shipping.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...el-in-rosenut/
I do not think I am ready to send 4k+, out of the country. Thank you... it would be cool to see if there is any audible change in sound.

Bill
KaliKid2013's Avatar KaliKid2013
05:29 AM Liked: 17
post #20073 of 20082
Today | Posts: 67
Joined: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
I do not think I am ready to send 4k+, out of the country. Thank you... it would be cool to see if there is any audible change in sound.

Bill
I wonder if all the dialog would be in French....
baranowski's Avatar baranowski
06:24 AM Liked: 18
post #20074 of 20082
Today | Posts: 393
Joined: Aug 2012
Ha ha... nice
Morfious's Avatar Morfious
06:32 AM Liked: 19
post #20075 of 20082
Today | Posts: 56
Joined: Apr 2003
Does anyone have the box that their CM10 speakers came in? I was planning on using my bonus to upgrade my front speakers to CM10S2. I have a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and I'm not sure if the boxs would fit. I assume each speaker comes in a separate box. If anyone can go into their basement and measure the box and give me the dimensions, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I have to borrow a neighbors pick up truck.
Rod#S's Avatar Rod#S
01:57 PM Liked: 29
post #20076 of 20082
Today | Posts: 1,770
Joined: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by eandytemp View Post
So I was bored today and went to my local Modia. Very nice store with pretty much everything except the 800Ds but they have the Nautilus. In a locked room the had and array of the 800 series and the HTM1D which I asked if I could check it out so the unlocked it. Asked if it was for sale and he said sure. What's interesting is he said he could still get brand new ones and the can still make them. Cost $9,000.00 each. I thought they were discontinued? Hmmmm.

Hmmm, indeed. Very interesting.


Patrick, would you please shed some light on this? Is this a case of a misinformed dealer or has something changed recently with respect to the discontinued HTM1D? You have certainly made it clear in posts here that B&W had absolutely zero interest in doing a speaker like this again and you have never given any indication it could be custom ordered.


Given how bad I would like one in current D2 spec I would gladly find a way of handling the $9,000.
Tank_PD's Avatar Tank_PD
02:34 PM Liked: 52
post #20077 of 20082
Today | Posts: 818
Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
The towers look nice. I am thinking about replacing my Paradigm Signature 2v3's for some CM10's. Not sure how the CM10ls will compare to my Sig2's. This will be in a smaller bedroom.
I suggest you go listen to the CM10s before making the swap. Preferably in the same room as your S2s. I've got a pair of S2s and listening to additional speakers has just made me appreciate them even more.
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2
02:44 PM Liked: 27
post #20078 of 20082
Today | Posts: 1,317
Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
I suggest you go listen to the CM10s before making the swap. Preferably in the same room as your S2s. I've got a pair of S2s and listening to additional speakers has just made me appreciate them even more.
I do like my Sig2's Had them 2 years and that is a record for me as i go thru speakers every few months. I had a pair of older Klipsch RF7's before tryng the Millenia 1's, then the Studio10's and now the Sig2'. Just kinda in the mood for some towers again and wanted to try a new brand. This is for a small bedroom as seen in my sig. The RF7's sure had the slam, but were bright and harsh to me. So i was thinking some new CM10's or maybe some new RF7ll's.
eandytemp's Avatar eandytemp
03:41 PM Liked: 10
post #20079 of 20082
Today | Posts: 30
Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfious View Post
Does anyone have the box that their CM10 speakers came in? I was planning on using my bonus to upgrade my front speakers to CM10S2. I have a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and I'm not sure if the boxs would fit. I assume each speaker comes in a separate box. If anyone can go into their basement and measure the box and give me the dimensions, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I have to borrow a neighbors pick up truck.
My boxes are roughly 45.5" high by 13.5" wide by 18.25" deep and yes it is one speaker per box.
pickering.tim
03:41 PM Liked: 3
post #20080 of 20082
Today | Posts: 135
Joined: Aug 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfious View Post
Does anyone have the box that their CM10 speakers came in? I was planning on using my bonus to upgrade my front speakers to CM10S2. I have a 2 door Jeep Wrangler and I'm not sure if the boxs would fit. I assume each speaker comes in a separate box. If anyone can go into their basement and measure the box and give me the dimensions, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I have to borrow a neighbors pick up truck.
i have cm10s (NOT cm10 S2) so it is possible the S2 boxes are larger but here are the specs

45.5" height
18.5" depth
13.5" width

to be safe I would use 46" x 19" x 14"

hope that helps
Tank_PD's Avatar Tank_PD
05:44 PM Liked: 52
post #20081 of 20082
Today | Posts: 818
Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I do like my Sig2's Had them 2 years and that is a record for me as i go thru speakers every few months. I had a pair of older Klipsch RF7's before tryng the Millenia 1's, then the Studio10's and now the Sig2'. Just kinda in the mood for some towers again and wanted to try a new brand. This is for a small bedroom as seen in my sig. The RF7's sure had the slam, but were bright and harsh to me. So i was thinking some new CM10's or maybe some new RF7ll's.
I haven't heard the new cm series, only the older one. I was only happy with the Diamond series offerings over Paradigm Signature. I've found the tweeter in the S2 to be superior to just about everything I've listened to in the same price range. It also pretty much ruined the Kef LS50 for me. Great for $1500, but can't touch the S2.

I'm driving my S2 with a Marantz PM11S3. The bass is quite strong in my room. If you are looking for more slam I would consider adding a sub. I've paired the S2 with Sub 1 with great results, but the set up was only temporary for me.
CHASLS2's Avatar CHASLS2
05:51 PM Liked: 27
post #20082 of 20082
Today | Posts: 1,317
Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post
I haven't heard the new cm series, only the older one. I was only happy with the Diamond series offerings over Paradigm Signature. I've found the tweeter in the S2 to be superior to just about everything I've listened to in the same price range. It also pretty much ruined the Kef LS50 for me. Great for $1500, but can't touch the S2.

I'm driving my S2 with a Marantz PM11S3. The bass is quite strong in my room. If you are looking for more slam I would consider adding a sub. I've paired the S2 with Sub 1 with great results, but the set up was only temporary for me.
I have a Acurus 200X3 amp driving the S2's and a SVS SB12NSD sub. Maybe the SB13Ultra would add some more bang for my 13x14 bedroom.
Tags: B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3