post #20341 of 20358 Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala777 View Post
I'm probably just going to go with the 802s d2 because I don't really think I want to be tempted to buy a pair of krell 900e's or ML 33/53 to power them to full potential. ..I would be deaf in a couple months...I have my eye on a pair of 403e's that are more in my price range and would power the 802's and 803's real nicely

The 800's definitely don't need huge capacity power amps How much they need will depend on your room plus and the decibel level you typically like to listen at plus whether you use bass management. If you don't ever run them full range then they would run just great on very minimal power actually.

I have never heard the 800D1's but the 802D2's are great speakers and perform wonderfully with 300 watts into 8 ohms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20342 of 20358 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm 1 of those " i think it would sound better just a little louder" guys...just too get the most detail out of my music...sometimes right now I'm listening and I don't even realize that I have it at 90%,
what I do is try and take a break with the volume periodically to reaclimate my ears to the volume. ...when you are gradually turning it while listening it can get away from you without realizing it
post #20343 of 20358 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
rpr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some help guys. I have a pair of XT8 tower speakers. They are enjoyable, but very bright and harsh.

They cannot be bi-amped so my options are limited and will likely void any warranty I still have left on them, but I would like to attenuate the tweeters.

I've also heard these aluminum enclosures are a nightmare to disassemble.

So what can I do? Try to take them apart and install an L-Pad?
post #20344 of 20358 Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
685 s2 - Poor Bass

Hi Folks,

Have about 15 hours on a pair being driven by a Marantz nr1403 50watt receiver. I realize the Marantz may be a bit underpowered and I am planning on upgrading. But I primarily listen at low to moderate levels and only 2.1 so I feel I should get pretty good performance. The speakers are 10 inches from the wall and so far the bass is anemic. I've been setting the cross-over to the sub at 80 or 100 to get decent bass. Decided to run Audyssey, ran it 3 times and it choose to crossover at 120/150/120. When I auditioned them in-store compared to Martin Logan Motion 15 without sub, they definitely did not go as deep as the Motions but I don't recall them being this thin. Anyone have any thoughts on why I'm nowhere near how low they are rated for? Will another 85 hours of break-in really make that much of a difference? Any 685 S2 owners care to comment on your bass performance and amp/receiver you are using.

Many Thanks
post #20345 of 20358 Old Today, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post
Hi Folks,

Have about 15 hours on a pair being driven by a Marantz nr1403 50watt receiver. I realize the Marantz may be a bit underpowered and I am planning on upgrading. But I primarily listen at low to moderate levels and only 2.1 so I feel I should get pretty good performance. The speakers are 10 inches from the wall and so far the bass is anemic. I've been setting the cross-over to the sub at 80 or 100 to get decent bass. Decided to run Audyssey, ran it 3 times and it choose to crossover at 120/150/120. When I auditioned them in-store compared to Martin Logan Motion 15 without sub, they definitely did not go as deep as the Motions but I don't recall them being this thin. Anyone have any thoughts on why I'm nowhere near how low they are rated for? Will another 85 hours of break-in really make that much of a difference? Any 685 S2 owners care to comment on your bass performance and amp/receiver you are using.

Many Thanks
When listening to music are you using STEREO mode or PURE/DIRECT?
if on stereo -do you have dynamic volume on and on what level (light, medium, heavy)?
post #20346 of 20358 Old Today, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
HT speakers

I finally took the decsicion to sell my Klipsch THX speakers and go for B&W speakers. The reason I'm selling my Klipsch speakers is that they sound to bright to harsh at reference levels. I had 805D's and I really loved the sound of those speakers.

Now I have a dedicated HT and would like to buy B&W speakers.

Because I don't want to start to do to much construction works I will be using the CWM7.3 as surround speakers, they will replace the Klipsch KL7800 and KS7800.

My problem is now the frontspeakers. Will I go with the CT7.3 or the CWM8.3??

Yesterday I went to audition the 8.3 and they have to sound I'm looking for. However they were underpowered with an Anthem MRX310. Propably I will go back to listen when they have a better amp connected to them. I personally have the denon POA-A1HD.

As for timbrematching I think you can use the CI800 and CI700 together, later I will go for Dolby Atmos so there are options in the 700 and 800 series for ceiling speakers.

I just would like have some advice on the frontspeakers CWM8.3 or CT7.3??

Any advice is welcome...
post #20347 of 20358 Old Today, 07:52 AM

685 s2 - Poor Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1788 View Post
When listening to music are you using STEREO mode or PURE/DIRECT?
if on stereo -do you have dynamic volume on and on what level (light, medium, heavy)?

Listening in stereo mode, Pure/Direct was too thin.

Last edited by jav1; Today at 07:53 AM. Reason: Title
post #20348 of 20358 Old Today, 08:15 AM
rpr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Many Thanks
There are some reports out there that you get best results by increasing the sub 6 dB to 10 dB above where Audyssey sets it at. This worked for me, as well as turning off Dynamic Volume. Dynamic EQ is OK to use in Stereo mode. Good luck.
post #20349 of 20358 Old Today, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What you described sounds to me like there is something gone wrong with biamping...
Do you have speakers biamped?

When on stereo what are you settings under Audyssey?
What are channel levels set by audyssey?
post #20350 of 20358 Old Today, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1788 View Post
What you described sounds to me like there is something gone wrong with biamping...
Do you have speakers biamped?

When on stereo what are you settings under Audyssey?
What are channel levels set by audyssey?
Speakers are not biamped. I ran Audyssey just to see where it would set the crossover and it kind of confirmed what I was hearing setting it at 120 then 150, disabled it afterwards as I prefer 2.1 with no tone controls and or eq.
post #20351 of 20358 Old Today, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Speakers are not biamped. I ran Audyssey just to see where it would set the crossover and it kind of confirmed what I was hearing setting it at 120 then 150, disabled it afterwards as I prefer 2.1 with no tone controls and or eq.
Try this:
- run audyssey
- afterwards go to menu and set speakers on small (if set on large by audyssey)
- activate dynamic volume and set it on Light
... and of course after audyssey sub volume should not below (or up) -12, if yes decrease volume on sub and try again;

I had B&W 685 S1 on NR1602 and I have an idea what you can expect from this combination; it is very strange that audyssey puts crossover on 120/150.
It sound to me like driver is not powered at all...
You didn't maybe remove that small golden plates where speaker terminals are? Just to be sure...

That Marantz should be OK with those speakers, not the best combo in the world, but it should sound pretty good...
post #20352 of 20358 Old Today, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 685's (1st gen) and the NR1403. It is not in my opinion underpowered at all for most situations. I also do not have a sub and am running them as a 2.0 setup. So my guess is there is something not set up correctly.

I figure the Marantz would tell you if a speaker is out of phase during audyssey setup. I am surprised the crossover is set so high. I'd have it at 80 if I had a sub installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20353 of 20358 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I agree. At one time I also owned the 685 s1s and the Marantz NR1602. Audyssey initially set them to large and so I had to adjust the crossover to 80 Hz. My guess is that there something wrong in the signal chain. Hopefully it's not the receiver or one of the speakers.

I would definitely check all connections and follow John1788's advice.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #20354 of 20358 Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
What does "thin" mean in this context?
post #20355 of 20358 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Hi Folks,

Many Thanks
Bottom line get a better receiver, if you like Marantz go with 5009.
post #20356 of 20358 Old Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post
What does "thin" mean in this context?
I would think it would mean like lacking bass or a more full sound.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM9 S2's
post #20357 of 20358 Old Today, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I would think it would mean like lacking bass or a more full sound.
In reading this question, I was wondering if the connectors between the bi-amp speaker wire connectors are properly in place? Wouldn't this potentially cause a thin sound, depending on which of the 2 the speakers are connected to?
post #20358 of 20358 Old Today, 05:18 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Are they the CM9 S2's? I havve had my pair of CM9's for a few weeks and i am very happy with them.
They are CM8 S2's. Looked at the CM9's but room worked better with CM8's. Very happy with them also. Best of all, wife is very happy with them Just can't wait to add another sub.
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com