Forum Jump: 
post #20671 of 20697 Old 03-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I just dust mine with a duster. I think you're a lot less likely to put micro scratches in the finish if you can avoid wiping them. I've used Zaino on my car before though, and liked it. The Mothers showtime glaze might work well also.
What kind of duster do u use?
Are all these car detailing sprays safe on the black lacquer finish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20672 of 20697 Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

I just use a regular fluffy synthetic feather duster I bought at Costco. I didn't buy it specifically for the speakers...it's the same one I use all around the house.

As far as if the car products are safe on the finish I wouldn't know since I haven't tried to use them. Like I said (or implied at least), I try to avoid wiping them with anything. Patrick, the B&W rep who hangs out on this thread, might be able to tell you if the automotive products are safe for the finish.

As long as we're on the subject though, its worth pointing out that cars get a LOT dirtier than speakers should, so I don't really see the point in polishing your speakers, or doing anything outside of just keeping the dust off of them.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #20673 of 20697 Old 03-23-2015, 03:22 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I do jot use any sprays on either my CMC2 or 802D. Just use duster every few days. Do not use dump fabric - it will leave dust swirls.
post #20674 of 20697 Old 03-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I do jot use any sprays on either my CMC2 or 802D. Just use duster every few days. Do not use dump fabric - it will leave dust swirls.
I need to figure out how to clean the tweeter on the cm10
That came packaged with some oily smudges. But that appears to be plastic. Not sure
post #20675 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have 7.1 setup using 600 series.

How do I upgrade to 11.2.4 atmos setup? Which speakers from B&W should I get?
post #20676 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I use instant detailing sprays from Mothers or Meguiars when things get really nasty (trade shows- lots of greasy finger prints. Most of the time you can just use a very soft, clean cloth and a little water. If your speakers are very dusty, a little compressed air to blow most of the dust off before polishing is a good idea.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I just use a regular fluffy synthetic feather duster I bought at Costco. I didn't buy it specifically for the speakers...it's the same one I use all around the house.

As far as if the car products are safe on the finish I wouldn't know since I haven't tried to use them. Like I said (or implied at least), I try to avoid wiping them with anything. Patrick, the B&W rep who hangs out on this thread, might be able to tell you if the automotive products are safe for the finish.

As long as we're on the subject though, its worth pointing out that cars get a LOT dirtier than speakers should, so I don't really see the point in polishing your speakers, or doing anything outside of just keeping the dust off of them.
post #20677 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I've owned the B&W 683 s2 fronts and the larger HTM61 s2 centre for nearly 4 months now together with the Denon X4000. This is my first set up. I've noticed at times I can hear the centre speaker distort like a crackling sound in certain parts of a movie. Some examples where I can hear distortion is in X Men - First Class, right at the end of the movie when Erik breaks into the jail and introduces himself as Magneto and the music hits. Another example is in Transformers Age of Extinction when the Yeager family are in the car chase I can hear distortion there too.

Has anybody experienced distortion with the centre speaker? Would the distortion be down to the blu-ray or the speakers? I use the Audyssey set up provided with the Denon X4000

Also after spending days and several movies trying to set up my centre speaker I find that the HTM61 s2 does not have the power as I would have hoped. My room is rectangular shaped and is 16 FEET x 8 FEET. So quite a small room but one would think that the centre speaker would be powerful enough to drive the room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #20678 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also can someone please explain to me why is the HTM61 s2 (part of the 600 series) which retails here in the UK at £549 is more expensive than the CM Centre 2 S2 at £499?

Is the CM Centre 2 S2 the best speaker to match the front CM10 s2?

Thanks
post #20679 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheecheung View Post
Also can someone please explain to me why is the HTM61 s2 (part of the 600 series) which retails here in the UK at £549 is more expensive than the CM Centre 2 S2 at £499?

Is the CM Centre 2 S2 the best speaker to match the front CM10 s2?

Thanks

Without looking at current exchange rates, my first impression is that your stated prices seem a bit too high for the HTM61 S2, and a bit too low for the CMC2 S2 respectively.

Quickly checking Best Buy, probably the largest hi fi carrying chain store in the U.S., the HTM61 S2 is marked at $750.98, while the CMC2 S2 from the same site goes for $1249.98.

Yes, the CMC2 S2 is the better speaker and a much better match for your CM10 S2's. If you can get it for less than the 600 series center, that's a great bonus.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #20680 of 20697 Old 03-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have CM9 and CM Center front three. What would you guys recommend for rears in a 5.1 setup? I have Emotiva ERD-1 rears, but they are silk dome tweeters. I can really tell the difference when listening to music in surround. I also have SVS Ultra surrounds that have aluminum tweeters and they blend so much better. Is there a better surround from B&W I can get?
post #20681 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

Hi cheecheung,

Without knowing more, it is hard to tell why you are experiencing distortion through your HTM61S2 at times. My experience with Audyssey is that it tries to fill in dips in the measured frequency response. This can result in amplifiers being overdriven which creates distortion that is passed on to the center channel. Try turning off Audyssey and then listen to the same movie passage again at the same volume. Is the distortion still there? You might also consider changing the crossover point for your center channel depending on where Audyssey set it. Somewhere around 40Hz should be fine.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Hi, I've owned the B&W 683 s2 fronts and the larger HTM61 s2 centre for nearly 4 months now together with the Denon X4000. This is my first set up. I've noticed at times I can hear the centre speaker distort like a crackling sound in certain parts of a movie. Some examples where I can hear distortion is in X Men - First Class, right at the end of the movie when Erik breaks into the jail and introduces himself as Magneto and the music hits. Another example is in Transformers Age of Extinction when the Yeager family are in the car chase I can hear distortion there too.

Has anybody experienced distortion with the centre speaker? Would the distortion be down to the blu-ray or the speakers? I use the Audyssey set up provided with the Denon X4000

Also after spending days and several movies trying to set up my centre speaker I find that the HTM61 s2 does not have the power as I would have hoped. My room is rectangular shaped and is 16 FEET x 8 FEET. So quite a small room but one would think that the centre speaker would be powerful enough to drive the room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #20682 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Folks,
See attached pic of my setup

One thing I noticed is that the low frequencies on the right hand side speaker are not as pronounced as the left. I am listening to them standing right next to them.
Difficult to explain. The bass on the left speaker seems to have a tad more weight.

I am guessing its the asymmetric setup that I have with the short wall next to the right speaker. The left speaker on the other hand is flanked by a long sliding glass door.
I eventually plan to toe in the speakers. But is it safe to assume that without some kind of acoustic treatment, the right speaker will sound different

Just want to make sure its not a speaker issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	624737  
post #20683 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 49
B&W Owner's Thread

I would say right speaker is close to a corner, why don't you switch them around. Put the left one on the right and the right one on the left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gerardo2068; Yesterday at 10:16 AM.
post #20684 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post
I have CM9 and CM Center front three. What would you guys recommend for rears in a 5.1 setup? I have Emotiva ERD-1 rears, but they are silk dome tweeters. I can really tell the difference when listening to music in surround. I also have SVS Ultra surrounds that have aluminum tweeters and they blend so much better. Is there a better surround from B&W I can get?
The CM5 pairs fantastically with the CM9's. You'll end up with a very seamless soundstage. The CM1's unfortunately don't mesh all that well in my experience.

post #20685 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
I would say is close to a corner and why don't you switch them around. Put the left one on the right and the right one on the left.

Sorry I don't follow. Are u saying swap the speakers around to confirm its a room acoustic thing versus a speaker issue?
post #20686 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry I don't follow. Are u saying swap the speakers around to confirm its a room acoustic thing versus a speaker issue?

Yes

post #20687 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
Yes

I was hoping to avoid that. These things are heavy. Sigh!
Gerardo2068 likes this.
post #20688 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM

B&W Owner's Thread

Quote:
I was hoping to avoid that. These things are heavy. Sigh!

Yeah. I would rather be room placement than an actual bad speaker. Then have to deal with shipping and warranty
post #20689 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Folks,
See attached pic of my setup

One thing I noticed is that the low frequencies on the right hand side speaker are not as pronounced as the left. I am listening to them standing right next to them.
Difficult to explain. The bass on the left speaker seems to have a tad more weight.

I am guessing its the asymmetric setup that I have with the short wall next to the right speaker. The left speaker on the other hand is flanked by a long sliding glass door.
I eventually plan to toe in the speakers. But is it safe to assume that without some kind of acoustic treatment, the right speaker will sound different

Just want to make sure its not a speaker issue

Do you have a processor employing room correction? If so, perhaps it's boosting those frequencies more on that side. Try disabling the correction and see of what you hear remains. I'm also assuming that when you're listening to the speakers you have your sub disabled. Since it's closer to your left speaker, it would make sense that when you're right up close to that speaker it sounds more bass heavy.

If you don't want to swap the speakers with each other, I would say to try to swap L/R channels on your amp leads first, and see if what you hear moves to the other side. If it does, you now know what you're chasing has to do with your electronics, not your speakers.

Plus, it's worth pointing out that not all 2 channel or multi channel music has low frequencies panned right up the center, so depending on what you're listening to, it may actually be intended to present like that.

post #20690 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hi, I've owned the B&W 683 s2 frots and the larger HTM61 s2 centre for nearly 4 months now together with the Denon X4000. This is my first set up. I've noticed at times I can hear the centre speaker distort like a crackling sound in certain parts of a movie. Some examples where I can hear distortion is in X Men - First Class, right at the end of the movie when Erik breaks into the jail and introduces himself as Magneto and the music hits. Another example is in Transformers Age of Extinction when the Yeager family are in the car chase I can hear distortion there too.

Has anybody experienced distortion with the centre speaker? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have the same canter in a 14 x 16 theater driven by a 200w amp. I have listened to the movies you mentioned at very high volume and have never heard distortion.

Try crossing your center at 80hz. Disable Dynamic EQ as it boosts lower frequencies. Like Patrick mentioned, try turning MultEQ off. Let us know what you find.
post #20691 of 20697 Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM

So I swapped the left and right speakers. Wow. These are heavy

Looks like the lack of bass is attributed to the short wall next to that speaker

With that said. There is this teeny tiny difference in the way the mids/highs sound between the 2 speakers. Some of this could be just be in my head as well
At the end of the day, speakers being analog devices, is it fair to assume that no 2 speakers can sound exactly the same
post #20692 of 20697 Old Today, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

CM5 is what I would recommend

I have a similar set up to yours

CM10..CM2 center...CM5's...and think it sounds great

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Marantz 8801 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Pioneer SC37 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Pioneer SC77 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #20693 of 20697 Old Today, 06:27 AM

Hi bytebuster,

It's not in your head. Locating a speaker close to two walls is going to result in what you are hearing. If also looks like the right speaker is closer to the listening position than the left channel. Try this:
step 1. toe in the right and left channels about 10-15 degrees. Make sure that they are both toed in the same amount.

step 2. Listen. Do you still have the same issues in the mids/highs and bass? If not, then stop and enjoy. If the answer is yes, move on to step 3.

step 3. Move the right and left channels forward an inch at a time. Use a tape measure for consistency. At some point the bass should start to even out and the issues with the side wall will start to go away.

step 3. Do this regardless of the outcome of step 2. Make sure your speakers are level and don't wobble when you press the side of the speaker.

Lastly, the plinths that you are using are just for additional safety if you have small children who tend to plow into things. Otherwise they serve no function.

Let me know how things turn out.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
So I swapped the left and right speakers. Wow. These are heavy

Looks like the lack of bass is attributed to the short wall next to that speaker

With that said. There is this teeny tiny difference in the way the mids/highs sound between the 2 speakers. Some of this could be just be in my head as well
At the end of the day, speakers being analog devices, is it fair to assume that no 2 speakers can sound exactly the same
post #20694 of 20697 Unread Today, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I made up my mind and think I will go for the CT8.4lcrs as my front speakers. My surround speakers have to be inwalls. I'm hesitating between the CWM7.3, wich is also a 3 way speaker with FST midrange, or the CWM8.5 wich is in the same line as the CT800 speakers.

Any advice please??
post #20695 of 20697 Unread Today, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
CM5 is what I would recommend

I have a similar set up to yours

CM10..CM2 center...CM5's...and think it sounds great

Warren
I have the same setup as well CM10s2, cmc2 center and CM5 surrounds. I agree I think the system sounds great. The CM1 in my limited listening sounded a bit flat. I was using the CM5 as my main speakers before I got the CM10's and they were definitely full sounding. I am playing with the idea of getting CM8's to use for surround and move the CM5's to the rear for a 7.1 setup.

Panasonic 65ZT60 Plasma Calibrated by Chad B
Emotiva XMC-1 (Dirac is awesome)
Emotiva XPA-5 (200w x 5)
B&W (CM10 S2, CMC2 S2, CM5 S1)
SVS SB13 Ultra Sub (Planned Upgrade)
Room Treatments (Planned Upgrade)
post #20696 of 20697 Unread Today, 09:16 AM

Thanks Patrick. Will give your suggestions a try

My question though is slightly different. So I was able to ascertain that the 2 speakers sounded different (in terms of fullness) because of the room dynamics.
I did swap the 2 speakers i.e. moved the one on the left to the right and vice versa.
But I do notice that one speaker's mids/highs sound a tad bit "sweeter". Thats the best way I can describe this. Again, its the teeny tiniest of difference. Not convinced I would even notice the difference in a blind AB test.
My question is, is it fair to assume that no 2 speakers can tonally sound identical (speakers being analog devices)?
post #20697 of 20697 Unread Today, 11:26 AM

Hi bytebuster,

I'm pretty certain that our manufacturing tolerances are tight enough where neither you nor I could tell the differences such as they exist.

What you most likely heard was the effect of a sidewall reflection versus no sidewall reflection.

Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Thanks Patrick. Will give your suggestions a try

My question though is slightly different. So I was able to ascertain that the 2 speakers sounded different (in terms of fullness) because of the room dynamics.
I did swap the 2 speakers i.e. moved the one on the left to the right and vice versa.
But I do notice that one speaker's mids/highs sound a tad bit "sweeter". Thats the best way I can describe this. Again, its the teeny tiniest of difference. Not convinced I would even notice the difference in a blind AB test.
My question is, is it fair to assume that no 2 speakers can tonally sound identical (speakers being analog devices)?
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com