B&W Owner's Thread - Page 694 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20791 of 20804 Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Really?

I heard the 2 lines and I used to feel that the older 684/683s were a lot closer in performance to the CM S1 then the 684/683 S2s are to the newer CM S2 line. I was actually really dissatisfied with the 684 S2, as they significantly lacked bass, significantly, and both the 683 and 684 sounded congested. I understand they went to a smaller cabinet for the 684 S2 to improve the WAF of a tower and its the "new" thing to have a diminutive tower, but seriously the bass was not to be found. When we switched to the CM9 S2 the music opened up significantly more. Later I listened to the CM8s S1 and S2 and again I felt the S2 were more transparent and sounded less boxy, the music was freer of the cabinet.

Mind you, I grew up with my dad having 603 S3s and still does... I used to think I was always gonna have 684s, but I went a different route. However I still enjoy B&Ws, but I didn't enjoy the 684 S2 at all.

How would you compare CM9 S2 to Dynaudio X32?

Marantz SR6004, UD5005, CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Sennheiser Momentum Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20792 of 20804 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eye View Post
How would you compare CM9 S2 to Dynaudio X32?
The CM9 will have the advantage of the larger cabinet and larger woofers, so it will move more air. The X32s will sound more transparent, smoother highs. I'd give the mids to the X32s due to the transparency. If you can go to both shops while you're out u would do so.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF2 MK4, Oppo BDP-103,
NaimUniti 2, Marantz SR7007, 55" Panasonic Plasma

Last edited by callas01; Yesterday at 09:43 AM.
post #20793 of 20804 Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLud View Post
The CM10s sound fantastic ... I was leaning toward a pair of CM10s until I auditioned the 804D on a whim, and as solid as the CM10s are it was no contest in my opinion. For me the 804s were a significant, significant upgrade. First time I heard a speaker and thought, "Yeah, that's the one." Unfortunately I won't be able to afford them anytime soon, but that was my audition experience. The CM10s are still great speakers in their own right, but to me the 800 series was on a completely different level.

Mark
Thanks Mark. During our audition, we were able to hear the difference between the CM10 and 804D and my wife actually gave me the green light on the 804D; however, what I'm not sure of, is if the sound difference is worth the significant price difference between them. I've been more than happy with my 804M for the last 16+ years, so I don't want to compromise; however, it's not a $250 - $500 difference between them, as you know, it's much more. That's my own reluctance on pulling the trigger on the 804Ds; however, right now they are at the top of the list.

Curious... are you considering these for HT or audio only?

B&W 804 and HTM | Emotiva ERD-1 | HSU VTF-15H
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Amazon Fire TV with XMBC | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
Mogami and Blue Jeans Cables
ATS and DIY Acoustic Panels
post #20794 of 20804 Old Today, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev View Post
Thanks Mark. During our audition, we were able to hear the difference between the CM10 and 804D and my wife actually gave me the green light on the 804D; however, what I'm not sure of, is if the sound difference is worth the significant price difference between them. I've been more than happy with my 804M for the last 16+ years, so I don't want to compromise; however, it's not a $250 - $500 difference between them, as you know, it's much more. That's my own reluctance on pulling the trigger on the 804Ds; however, right now they are at the top of the list.

Curious... are you considering these for HT or audio only?
Sure, glad to help. I hear ya ... I've pretty much settled on 804Ds after my audition. In strict dollars and cents, is it worth almost twice the cost of CM10s? Probably not, just because we're talking about absurd amounts of money here (at least for me, lol). But I personally know that after hearing the 804Ds I wouldn't be happy with anything less. They blew me away. (And for the record, I had numerous auditions of other speakers ... nothing outside of the 802Ds [that was just an audition for fun] wowed me like the 804Ds, though I haven't heard the 803Ds.)

Here's another thing I took away from my CM10/804D audition (and the helpful staff at a local store) -- one employee told me that if I planned on enjoying these speakers for the next 15-20 years, no matter the model/make/etc., try to purchase one step higher than what I originally thought would be "acceptable." Now I know that may sound like a sales pitch, but keep in mind that I probably could have walked out with the CM10s that day ... and won't be able to afford the 804Ds for a while (and might look in the used market instead). If he wanted the sale, he would have pushed the CM10s on me. It stuck with me, probably because it was the opposite of a pushy salesman. Would I be happy with CM10s? Yeah, probably. But I know I'd LOVE the 804s, so I'm just going to wait (as painful as the wait is, lol).

That mindset was actually reinforced in recent days. Because I'm kinda broke, I stopped by a Magnolia store and checked out the new 685s to see if I could live with them for a year or two while saving up for the 804Ds ... short answer: No. Lol. I'm waiting 'til I can get the ones I really want.

My primary concern is music, but I figure anything that handles music really well should be just fine for home theater.

If you really like the CM10s don't let me talk to you out of them, they're great speakers. But if you hear the difference between 804D and CM10, I say splurge on the better speakers and enjoy them for a long time. That's my plan.

One other note -- the current diamond series came out in 2010 I believe, and there's some speculation that the next one could come out either this year or next ... in that case, there should be some sales on current stock (demos, etc.) from stores ... or, of course, brand-new and improved models from the new stock. Something to think about in the back of your mind ...

Mark
post #20795 of 20804 Unread Today, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Sure, glad to help. I hear ya ... I've pretty much settled on 804Ds after my audition. In strict dollars and cents, is it worth almost twice the cost of CM10s? Probably not, just because we're talking about absurd amounts of money here (at least for me, lol). But I personally know that after hearing the 804Ds I wouldn't be happy with anything less. They blew me away. (And for the record, I had numerous auditions of other speakers ... nothing outside of the 802Ds [that was just an audition for fun] wowed me like the 804Ds, though I haven't heard the 803Ds.)

Here's another thing I took away from my CM10/804D audition (and the helpful staff at a local store) -- one employee told me that if I planned on enjoying these speakers for the next 15-20 years, no matter the model/make/etc., try to purchase one step higher than what I originally thought would be "acceptable."
His advice was spot on. Listen to the 803D's. Such a difference from the 804's. They have the ability to give you amazing rock n roll and just as quickly change to Mahler or Miles Davis. The 804's are a step down from this ability. I have dual SVS SB13 ultras with my 803D's and you will not be disappointed. Jethro Tull or Grover Washington or ZZ Top. All worth the 803D's.
luisev likes this.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #20796 of 20804 Unread Today, 04:12 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
His advice was spot on. Listen to the 803D's. Such a difference from the 804's. They have the ability to give you amazing rock n roll and just as quickly change to Mahler or Miles Davis. The 804's are a step down from this ability. I have dual SVS SB13 ultras with my 803D's and you will not be disappointed. Jethro Tull or Grover Washington or ZZ Top. All worth the 803D's.
Now go try 802 Diamond and you won't look back
luisev likes this.
post #20797 of 20804 Unread Today, 04:17 PM

Aren't bigger model number better so the 803 is better than the 802??? LOL gotta have fun with this serious ans sterile hobby.

post #20798 of 20804 Unread Today, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Here's another thing I took away from my CM10/804D audition (and the helpful staff at a local store) -- one employee told me that if I planned on enjoying these speakers for the next 15-20 years, no matter the model/make/etc., try to purchase one step higher than what I originally thought would be "acceptable." Now I know that may sound like a sales pitch, but keep in mind that I probably could have walked out with the CM10s that day ... and won't be able to afford the 804Ds for a while (and might look in the used market instead). If he wanted the sale, he would have pushed the CM10s on me. It stuck with me, probably because it was the opposite of a pushy salesman. Would I be happy with CM10s? Yeah, probably. But I know I'd LOVE the 804s, so I'm just going to wait (as painful as the wait is, lol).

That mindset was actually reinforced in recent days. Because I'm kinda broke, I stopped by a Magnolia store and checked out the new 685s to see if I could live with them for a year or two while saving up for the 804Ds ... short answer: No. Lol. I'm waiting 'til I can get the ones I really want.

My primary concern is music, but I figure anything that handles music really well should be just fine for home theater.

If you really like the CM10s don't let me talk to you out of them, they're great speakers. But if you hear the difference between 804D and CM10, I say splurge on the better speakers and enjoy them for a long time. That's my plan.

One other note -- the current diamond series came out in 2010 I believe, and there's some speculation that the next one could come out either this year or next ... in that case, there should be some sales on current stock (demos, etc.) from stores ... or, of course, brand-new and improved models from the new stock. Something to think about in the back of your mind ...

Mark

I have either auditioned or owned most of the current B&W range of speakers, and think that the biggest jump in overall sound quality is between the CM10 and 804D. If you can pick up a used pair of current 804's for a similar price as a new pair of CM10's, that's the smart move and you'll likely love them for a long time.

I have owned the 683 S1, and now own the CM9 S2. The two of those speakers, especially since the 683 redesign, are very close. I still think the 683 S2 is probably the biggest bang for the buck in the entire B&W lineup. It's really a great speaker for the money. CMs are definitely a cut above the 600s, but less so than the 800's are from the CM's (I haven't been impressed with the smaller 805 though...to me, $5k for a pair of bookshelves means they better sound D#MN good).

The biggest reason I didn't seriously consider buying the 804D instead of the CM9 S2 (other than the fact that I've had decent cars which cost less money) is that I have a young child, with plans to have more. Accidents will happen, and it's a lot less of a bad day if a $1500 speaker gets dinged vs a $3500 one. In fact, the enclosed tweeter of the CM9 is the reason I chose that over the CM10's decoupled design, as that can make an enticing target for young children as well.

Kids are totally worth whatever sacrifice, and lets get real, its not as if the CM9's suck so it wasn't really THAT much of a sacrifice.

B&W CM9 S2, B&W CMC2 S2, DefTech XTR-20BP, SVS SB-2000, Parasound Halo A21, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Samsung UN55F8000, Apple Mac Mini, Iomega NAS
post #20799 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Given my direct experience in this regard, I'd say don't, but I understand the itch may require scratching...
I agree we have so many itches...
post #20800 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Mark
Hmm... decisions, decisions... buy now or wait to see if new versions come out. I'm certainly in no rush and like I said, my current 804Ms are close to 20 years old and still sound wonderful. I have no issues with the investment, (wife already gave me the ok for the 804D) I just need to justify the expense. But I'm sure if I go with a different brand that my conscious would make me think twice about my decision. Thanks again!

post #20801 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
The store I visited didn't have the 803D on display, but I did hear the 802Ds and wow... those sounded fantastic; however, I won't go there unless I win lotto or obtain an awesome bonus from the office. lol

post #20802 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
I have either auditioned or owned most of the current B&W range of speakers, and think that the biggest jump in overall sound quality is between the CM10 and 804D. If you can pick up a used pair of current 804's for a similar price as a new pair of CM10's, that's the smart move and you'll likely love them for a long time.

I have owned the 683 S1, and now own the CM9 S2. The two of those speakers, especially since the 683 redesign, are very close. I still think the 683 S2 is probably the biggest bang for the buck in the entire B&W lineup. It's really a great speaker for the money. CMs are definitely a cut above the 600s, but less so than the 800's are from the CM's (I haven't been impressed with the smaller 805 though...to me, $5k for a pair of bookshelves means they better sound D#MN good).

The biggest reason I didn't seriously consider buying the 804D instead of the CM9 S2 (other than the fact that I've had decent cars which cost less money) is that I have a young child, with plans to have more. Accidents will happen, and it's a lot less of a bad day if a $1500 speaker gets dinged vs a $3500 one. In fact, the enclosed tweeter of the CM9 is the reason I chose that over the CM10's decoupled design, as that can make an enticing target for young children as well.

Kids are totally worth whatever sacrifice, and lets get real, its not as if the CM9's suck so it wasn't really THAT much of a sacrifice.
My wife and I simply can't remember when we purchased our 804Ms. It was either when our daughter was first born or shortly there after. Since she is 19, they are 16 - 19 years old so I can relate with thinking twice with little ones being around. My grills still have light stains from sticky PB and J fingers.

post #20803 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:43 PM

The 802D's sound great but don't don't rock as well as the 803D's IMO. Although I love classical and jazz, sometime I just gotta have some more cowbell!!!!
luisev likes this.

post #20804 of 20804 Unread Today, 05:43 PM

Another decision... which center channel? If I end up with the CM10s, I would get the matching CMC 2 S2. The store we visited said that if even I go with the 804Ds, that the CMC 2 S2 would be a better option over the HTM 4. I was a little confused, but they said that since the CMC 2 S2 had more drivers and a similar (not the same) midrange as the 804Ds that it would be the better way to go. I understand that my HTM is rather old, but there are times where I feel it strains with certain movie scenes, so their recommendation made somewhat sense to me as the HTM4D is of similar design. Thoughts, opinions?

Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page