B&W Owner's Thread - Page 699 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #20941 of 20952 Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chentecruz View Post

The Room is 26.5' x 18.5'.
The speakers: B&W 802 Diamond Series
The subwoofer: SVS SB13-Ultra (Will be purchasing 2 of these)
Pre-Amp: Marantz AV7702 or 8802 (with the plans of going surround sound later)
Amplifier: Rotel RB-1590
Power Conditioner: Furman IT-REFERENCE 20i
Cables: All Audioquest cables
Turntable: Pro-Ject 2Xperience Classic
My Xbox One will be my cd player for now as well.
I guess this is the shopping list your dealer gave you? Everything looks good except

Amplifier: Rotel RB-1590 <--- I would put budget for the power conditioner and cables into a different amplifier especially if you are doing surround in the future..
Power Conditioner: Furman IT-REFERENCE 20i <--- do you really need a power conditioner??
Cables: All Audioquest cables <--- how much is the cost for all the cables??
chentecruz likes this.

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20942 of 20952 Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Justthinking the power conditioner is a really good deal off a friend who needs to part ways with it fairly quickly so it isn't needed, but also can't pass up on the deal.

As far as the Rotel RB-1590 I like these because of power they have and down the road when I do surround sound I will make sure to take care of powering the other speakers with another source.

As far as the cabling I will not be spending ridiculous amounts for such small variance in sound quality. Any you prefer though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20943 of 20952 Old 06-29-2015, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have B&W 802 mains with a matching center channel and subwoofer. My surround channels are build into the wall and are B&W. I have no desire to defend or belittle B&W. I love music and use my system to listen to music followed by television and movies. I have a great collection of SACDs and of blu-ray music and after listening to many other speakers, can't find any that reproduce music as faithfully as B&W. Folks, that's it for me. Good night.
postrokfan, biggin and chentecruz like this.
post #20944 of 20952 Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Is there any particular reason why you wish to go with the older models over the 685s? Budget reasons? You can get a used pair of 685s for a similar price to the other models you mentioned.
Yeah, pretty much budget reasons. I'm a college student just looking for some good speakers for a decent price.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s that I'm using for my desk set-up, and now I'm looking for some speakers to use in the living room space. I really love the S30s, but I want to go a different route for the living room speakers.

Locally, I found a used pair of DM560s for $120 and the 601 S3s for $225. I haven't seen any 685s pop up for sale, but you think I could get them for similar prices?
post #20945 of 20952 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Th
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline513 View Post
Yeah, pretty much budget reasons. I'm a college student just looking for some good speakers for a decent price.

I have a pair of Cambridge Audio S30s that I'm using for my desk set-up, and now I'm looking for some speakers to use in the living room space. I really love the S30s, but I want to go a different route for the living room speakers.

Locally, I found a used pair of DM560s for $120 and the 601 S3s for $225. I haven't seen any 685s pop up for sale, but you think I could get them for similar prices?
Honestly, all of these are pretty decent options. I would give the edge to the 685 though. Used, they're usually more in the $300 range so out of budget. The DM560s are the largest book shelf speaker of the bunch with 8 in woofers so that would help some with overall output in your living room. Surprisingly they only go down to 65 Hz. They were released in the late eighties. The 601 S3s were released in the late nineties and are more similar to the 685. Both the DM560 and 601 S3 were made in England compared to the newer 600 and CM speakers that are made in China. I would say go ahead and audition and see if you like them. Be sure to pay close attention to their condition. The DM560s are probably over 25 years old.

Last edited by postrokfan; Yesterday at 09:41 AM.
post #20946 of 20952 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Th

Honestly, all of these are pretty decent options. I would give the edge to the 685 though. Used, they're usually more in the $300 range so out of budget. The DM560s are the largest book shelf speaker of the bunch with 8 in woofers so that would help some with overall output in your living room. Surprisingly they only go down to 65 Hz. They were released in the late eighties. The 601 S3s were released in the late nineties and are more similar to the 685. Both the DM560 and 601 S3 were made in England compared to the newer 600 and CM speakers that are made in China. I would say go ahead and audition and see if you like them. Be sure to pay close attention to their condition. The DM560s are probably over 25 years old.
I've heard the DM560s in person, and they sounded pretty decent. Even though they're only rated to go down to 65 Hz I was pretty impressed with the amount of low end they offered. They were in very good condition for how old they were. The 601 S3s are pretty far away from me so I haven't had the chance to hear them yet, but look to be in very good condition also. I think those may be the speakers I go with.

Thank you very much for all of the helpful information!
post #20947 of 20952 Unread Today, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello again,

I posted here a couple years ago about dried up and cracked gray rubber surround on my CM4 towers Kevlar driver, which I ended up replacing with a new OEM driver I ordered from B&W Parts. Now the other one is gone the same way (and rattling), but B&W no longer carries this driver.

I found a business online called "The Speaker Exchange" http://reconingspeakers.com/ that promises to replace rubber surround for about $80 if I ship the driver to them. They won't match the original, of course, and the rubber will be black.
(Previously in this thread I was told that it is in fact this gray rubber used by B&W uniquely on these speakers purely for looks that proved to be defective, and it has much lower lifespan than the black they normally use - I am just SOL :-( )

Should I go for this kind of repair? Will L and R speaker sound mismatch be too pronounced as the result? I don't really care that much about the color mismatch with grills off. (Replacing rubber surrounds of both drivers so they match starts to make less and less sense to me, especially considering that the original aluminum bass drivers gray rubber has stiffened and will probably crack and rattle soon as well - I will just have to suck it up and throw away these speakers...)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150628_111827.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	807122  
post #20948 of 20952 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
If you can swing it the CMC2 S2 is definitely worth it over the smaller center-even if paired with the CM6s.
That's pretty much what I wanted to make sure of. And besides, my room isn't HUGE. Similarly sized but for sure weaker JBL setelite bookshelves have sufficed, so maybe towers ala the CM10 or even CM9 would have been overkill anyway (and I do have a decent sunfire sub to handle the bass already).

So yeah, thanks for at least validating that the CM6S2's would make decently beefy fronts to pair with the CMC2 S2! By all rights THAT certainly stood out as the center I wanted to get, even if the issues on the L/R fronts did seem a little more nebulous.

Now I just gotta find the right receiver and someone local to sell me those damn speakers :P . Hoping I can negotiate a little bit off the price whomever I speak to, not that the S2's have been out all that long yet.
post #20949 of 20952 Unread Today, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
B&w am-1

Hello All,

I was contemplating purchasing the AM-1 for my garage. Would those that own or have heard these speakers let me know what you think?

I heard them in a store along side some of the older model WM-4 and almost thought the WMs sounded better. I wonder how the larger WM6's would sound. Thoughts?

TIA

Andy
post #20950 of 20952 Unread Today, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha M View Post
Hello again,

I posted here a couple years ago about dried up and cracked gray rubber surround on my CM4 towers Kevlar driver, which I ended up replacing with a new OEM driver I ordered from B&W Parts. Now the other one is gone the same way (and rattling), but B&W no longer carries this driver.

I found a business online called "The Speaker Exchange" http://reconingspeakers.com/ that promises to replace rubber surround for about $80 if I ship the driver to them. They won't match the original, of course, and the rubber will be black.
(Previously in this thread I was told that it is in fact this gray rubber used by B&W uniquely on these speakers purely for looks that proved to be defective, and it has much lower lifespan than the black they normally use - I am just SOL :-( )

Should I go for this kind of repair? Will L and R speaker sound mismatch be too pronounced as the result? I don't really care that much about the color mismatch with grills off. (Replacing rubber surrounds of both drivers so they match starts to make less and less sense to me, especially considering that the original aluminum bass drivers gray rubber has stiffened and will probably crack and rattle soon as well - I will just have to suck it up and throw away these speakers...)

Thanks!
If it were me I would replace the rubber surrounds on both speakers. $160 is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new speakers especially if you really enjoy them.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #20951 of 20952 Unread Today, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline513 View Post
I've heard the DM560s in person, and they sounded pretty decent. Even though they're only rated to go down to 65 Hz I was pretty impressed with the amount of low end they offered. They were in very good condition for how old they were. The 601 S3s are pretty far away from me so I haven't had the chance to hear them yet, but look to be in very good condition also. I think those may be the speakers I go with.

Thank you very much for all of the helpful information!
Sounds like a decent plan. Good luck!

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

post #20952 of 20952 Unread Today, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post
That's pretty much what I wanted to make sure of. And besides, my room isn't HUGE. Similarly sized but for sure weaker JBL setelite bookshelves have sufficed, so maybe towers ala the CM10 or even CM9 would have been overkill anyway (and I do have a decent sunfire sub to handle the bass already).

So yeah, thanks for at least validating that the CM6S2's would make decently beefy fronts to pair with the CMC2 S2! By all rights THAT certainly stood out as the center I wanted to get, even if the issues on the L/R fronts did seem a little more nebulous.

Now I just gotta find the right receiver and someone local to sell me those damn speakers :P . Hoping I can negotiate a little bit off the price whomever I speak to, not that the S2's have been out all that long yet.
I saw a pair on Audiogon a while back. They went really fast so you'll need to be on top of it.

Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page