B&W Owner's Thread - Page 703 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21061 of 21064 Old Today, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Perhaps you could audition these alternatives with your speakers. Yamaha makes nice reliable receivers. I would probably go with the newest of the three, the 3900. Are you planning on expanding to a full surround setup? If not, you probably don't need a 7.1 AVR.

I just bought the Yamaha RX-V2700 and so far I love it with the B&W CM5's. Still messing around with it but so far it sounds great. I will not be doing anything else but 2.1 for this room so this should work.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21062 of 21064 Old Today, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavib View Post
Thanks for your reply KaliKid.
I contacted B&W Support in the UK and they said that they stopped all support for the P-series in 2009, ten years after the last ones were manufactured.
They have some crossovers still in stock (£60 each), but no tweeters

Does anyone have any ideas for replacing my P4's tweeters?

Thanks,
Gav.
Does B&W USA have them?
If so, maybe someone in the states can buy them for you and ship them to you.

B&W 802 Diamonds | McIntosh C2500 tube pre-amp | McIntosh MC601 mono block amplifiers (2) | Oppo BDP-105 | Samsung UN60H7150 | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner | Audioquest Cinnamon HMDI, Ethernet, & USB A/B cables | Tributaries Type 6 Speaker Cables | Blue Jeans Cables XLR Interconnects | Acoustimac DMD-422 OC 703 acoustic panels
post #21063 of 21064 Old Today, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by plofstof View Post
Apologies for bumping this question like this, but I do need to figure out which dipole would best complement CM10 S2s & CMC2 S2.
I don't think the DS3 would be it. B&W seems to be relatively sparsely populated in the world of dipoles.

Right now I'm leaning towards Monitor Audio Gold FX
Any better suggestions?

(or alternatively just convince me that dipoles are unnecessary and I'll use CM5 S2s for my Surrounds...)

thanks
Using di-pole or mono-pole depends on where you are going to place the speakers as well as what format you will be listening to

If you are going to listen to multi channel audio such as sacd, dvd-a or blu-ray audio, then mono-pole is what you need

However, if you only listen to music in 2 channel format and only uses multi-channel for tv/movies, then either will work

One thing good about monitor audio's gold surround speakers is they can be set to either di-pole or mono-pole

You might not even have to spend that much on the surround from MA

Take a look at this page http://www.saturdayaudio.com/monitor_specials.htm

They have both the last gen Gold FX (ribbon tweeter for mono-pole and metal dome for di-pole) and GSFX (metal dome tweeter) available at really discounted price

However, I am not sure how well they timbre match the CM S2 series

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth
post #21064 of 21064 Old Today, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddocious View Post
I just bought the Yamaha RX-V2700 and so far I love it with the B&W CM5's. Still messing around with it but so far it sounds great. I will not be doing anything else but 2.1 for this room so this should work.

Thanks for your help!
Very nice. The CM5s are great speakers. Enjoy!

HT: CM10 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel (computer setup): Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Zpre2; Parasound Zampv3; Parasound Zdac; Parasound Zphono; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply Speakers

Tags
B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - cm-1090 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page