B&W Owner's Thread - Page 706 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #21151 of 21180 Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to buy some 802 Diamonds

After auditioning a large number of speakers, I've decided I want to spring for some 802 Diamonds.

Does anyone have advice on how to get a good price? I'm willing to buy used, if circumstances are conducive.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, so there are several dealers within 100 miles. There's a Best Buy w/Magnolia room right around the corner from me, but I'm not a fan of BB, and so far they aren't willing to budge on the price.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21152 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmar View Post
After auditioning a large number of speakers, I've decided I want to spring for some 802 Diamonds.

Does anyone have advice on how to get a good price? I'm willing to buy used, if circumstances are conducive.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, so there are several dealers within 100 miles. There's a Best Buy w/Magnolia room right around the corner from me, but I'm not a fan of BB, and so far they aren't willing to budge on the price.

Thanks,
Mike
The new 800 series is being rolled out September 9th so one should be able to get a discount on the current generation. I could have got 20% off a few years back so I would use that as the minimum.
KaliKid2013 likes this.
post #21153 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
The new 800 series is being rolled out September 9th so one should be able to get a discount on the current generation. I could have got 20% off a few years back so I would use that as the minimum.
Ah, that's good to know - thanks.
post #21154 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Anyone else notice that Daredevil's arch-nemesis Wilson Fisk has a B&W setup in his loft?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BKgtGr.png
Views:	79
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	911538  
post #21155 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmar View Post

Thanks,
Mike

I agree with Jim.

Plus, dealers with display/demo inventory will be looking to sell them off to make room on the selling floor for the new ones. You should be able to get a sweet deal right about now.

BB usually sells at full retail, most dealers offer a discount off list all the time.

Good luck, you will be very happy with them. What are you going to drive them with?

B&W 802 Diamonds | McIntosh C500T tube pre-amp | McIntosh MC601 mono block amplifiers (2) | Oppo BDP-105 | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner
post #21156 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Anyone else notice that Daredevil's arch-nemesis Wilson Fisk has a B&W setup in his loft?
Haha I noticed that too. There is also a pair of cherrywood 803's in Kingsman.

Equipment list:
B&W 803d, Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-2, Oppo 105, Project 2Xperience Classic, Panamax M5300-PM, Panasonic 60ST60
post #21157 of 21180 Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
Good luck, you will be very happy with them. What are you going to drive them with?
Right now, my speakers are Magnepan 3.6R's, which I'm bi-amping with four Class D monoblocks. I have not tried them out on a pair of 802's yet, but I've read from a couple sources that Class D amps don't play well with B&W's.

If that turns out to be the case, I'll look for a used Classe amp or monoblocks.

Last edited by mikenmar; 08-27-2015 at 09:01 PM.
post #21158 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 AM

Liked: 44
I'm waaaaaay out classed here with a pair of 03 vintage 600s3's bookshelf's on stands, and an ASW600 sub to fill out the base. Still sound better than anything my friends of paid WELL more than measly ~$400 I didn't pay. Present for getting into Cal Poly . Subwoofer, which does dual duty for music and theater, I really love because of the sealed design and tight base, and came courtesy of the ******* that the roommates and I picked for me sublet my room to while I was doing an internship. He cut extra keys (not to mention 3/4" drywall anchors in the top corners of my room) and then came back after I moved in and stole my 8" ported BW sub that I regretted buying, a rather crappy but not cheap AVR, some Xbox controllers, and a few select CD's and games on a wall that had ~200. So obvious it hurt. Felony theft (and he was just about to graduate pre-law at one of the best public schools for it, karma's a bitch!) and he had to pay replacement value plus restitution.

But I have worked A LOT of retail gigs. Although no electronics, I did sell a fair amount of high stuff.

In my 8 or so years of doing it a 10% discount was always given when asked for. I learned pretty quickly that this was the limit, and a manager only gave the OK when this specific discount was asked for. You couldn't just ask about a discount it doing something on the price.

I used to be a bike and ski tech in college, and a family of 4 package of higher end skis, boots, bindings, poles can easily take 3-4 hours to fit (on a good day, when people were half set on the performance they wanted) & average out @$1.5k a piece. Really important to get the right gear and the right fit for it to be enjoyable. No commission so I never cared what people paid, or if they paid at all. I always had enough work in the shop to do anyway.

So, even if I spent days on one guy that was looking to spend 3 maybe 4 grand, I didn't care as long as he/she was a nice person. When a nice person like this (or the family) asked the wrong price question I'd come back with 10% off.

If they were real *******s and asked the right price question I'd just walk around the store for 5 minutes, come back and say the manager said no-go. These were usually the folks that needed all new gear for a trip in 2 days thinking all this stuff assembled itself.

So, getting back to brass tacks here, it wasn't a coingetting that 10% being an always yes equaled the employee discount. I believe best buy has even more leeway. Also, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure BB = Magnolia, they just a different uniform, and sometimes not even that. I thought they stuck some brighter staff in there, but that idea was squashed when one of them ran over to kick me of their snazzy system builder I was using to double blind my buddy on CM1s and cheaper but larger lower series. We were gone after the 3rd guy came over to try figuring out how to re set it up. A 4 year old could do it with the custom iPad controller!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting 10%unless you get one of the jokers I've described. If they don't leave then the person that makes the decision never gets asked. It's getting so close to reveal time for the new stuff that you can start saying you can give 15% now, or you can give me 25% on floor models in another 2 days.

Just remember to be nice about it

If you're not getting anywhere walk and find an area manager that can get you the store manager. And don't forget the most important tool of all, "If you can give them to for me for X, I'm paying today and scheduling for delivery."

The idiot sticks might think your wasting their time, even though you definitely are ready to buy.

Also, Retail places like this ALWAYS look at the daily numbers. I don't know the margins they're working with, but if you can find a day when the MOD (manager on duty, acting store manager) isn't the head honcho, they should be jumping at the chance to make a sale of this magnitude as it skyrockets the daily number. Plus they hardly sell high dollar audio in an area where there are so many specialty shops. So it's a double win for the guy that gives you the deal.

Hope all the blathering was useful!

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #21159 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone setup an Atmos setup with B&W as surrounds yet?

I have CM8, CMC, and 685 and 686 for 7.1 at the moment, looking for Atmos height speakers. Wondering what height speakers would be a good match.
post #21160 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Which center is a better match for the 685 S2; HTM61 or HTM62 ?

Powered by a Marantz 7009 in a room with dimensions of 18 x 22.

Thanks.
post #21161 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Shipping 805s.

I have a question about shipping 805s. I bought a pair of 805S speakers and the seller shipped them in the original box and foam. Unfortunately, the speakers did not survive the trip because the tweeter magnet in both speakers popped out of its holder and proceeded to beat the wood cabinet to death during transit. Luckily, I got a full refund from the seller. So, I guess the question I have is....has anybody had any luck shipping 805s without any damage?
post #21162 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman1400 View Post
I have a question about shipping 805s. I bought a pair of 805S speakers and the seller shipped them in the original box and foam. Unfortunately, the speakers did not survive the trip because the tweeter magnet in both speakers popped out of its holder and proceeded to beat the wood cabinet to death during transit. Luckily, I got a full refund from the seller. So, I guess the question I have is....has anybody had any luck shipping 805s without any damage?
Something must have been missing from the original packaging. B&W doesn't hand deliver, and I'm sure takes great pains in the product getting to where it's going unharmed.

I'd send a message to B&W asking about actual factory packaging as well as any specific instructions to the shipper. They may be able to provide you with an internal document that sits on the assembly line, or used for training. Or maybe just the pictures.

Someone here or on the web may have documented the unboxing with many pictures for posterity.

I usually forget LOL.

Steve
post #21163 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Which center is a better match for the 685 S2; HTM61 or HTM62 ?

Powered by a Marantz 7009 in a room with dimensions of 18 x 22.

Thanks.
Have the same speakers and amp. My fronts are the 683 s2, but my surrounds are the 685 s2. I went with the HTM61 S2 and i love it. Its a fantastic center channel

Sansui G9000DB, Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007
Bowers and Wilkins 683 s2, HTM61 s2, 685 s2
Samsung UN65JS9500
post #21164 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Not the answer to your exact question.... but....

I have shipped 804S speakers from Florida to California. They ere only in their original packing and box. They arrived with out issue.

Bill
post #21165 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I absolutely noticed! I'd like to think I'm above such notions, but I liked seeing my chosen brand in popular media.
post #21166 of 21180 Old 08-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I followed what happened with your previous speakers, as I just couldn't believe what happened to them, how could the same thing happen to both?. Nor that the seller would have shipped them like that because who in their right mind e would think the buyer would accept them?

Do you know how exactly they were shipped? IE all ground, or was air involved as well?

I'm a mechanical engineer, and thinking about it more and more to get 2 speakers to fail liked that is extremely unlikely, even for the big 3 shippers.

Something was up, and I believe B&W would pack all of flagship line to take a bit of a beating, with special emphasis given to the tweeter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
Not the answer to your exact question.... but....

I have shipped 804S speakers from Florida to California. They ere only in their original packing and box. They arrived with out issue.

Bill
Do you remember if there was some kind of special treatment given to the protection of the tweeter?

I mean, even if they did fall off a truck and fail I wouldn't think the magnet would be given enough room to flop around and kill the enclosure.

-------------
There is one method of shipping that could replace original packaging or augment it, or augment a piece of a foam that may have gone missing.

NOT CHEAP. It's a method called foam in place.

I looked into it for a small oscilloscope that had nothing fragile to break off. Over 200 bucks as it's a one off, and finding a place specializing in shipping fragile components is harder than it seems.

It's basically spray foam insulation, formulated with a bit more give. The process itself could break fragile components.

What they do is cover the item completely in plastic. Spray some foam in the bottom of the box and place the item in it as the foam is expanding. Or the item is suspended and the foam is allowed to expand up to the item.

Another layer of plastic is laid down to separate the halves of the g foam and then more is sprayed on top. After it's done expanding/solidifies they cut the foam flush with the box.

When done correctly (experience+correct foam) every bit of the item is supported and isn't going anywhere.

I don't even want to speculate on price for this even for some 805s speakers, but it would probably be the best option if complete factory shipping materials weren't available.

There was only one place in orange co California that even offered the service to the public.

Good luck.

Steve
post #21167 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Mine was just the stock b&w foam inside the box. Nothing more or special.
post #21168 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
I followed what happened with your previous speakers, as I just couldn't believe what happened to them, how could the same thing happen to both?. Nor that the seller would have shipped them like that because who in their right mind e would think the buyer would accept them?

Do you know how exactly they were shipped? IE all ground, or was air involved as well?

I'm a mechanical engineer, and thinking about it more and more to get 2 speakers to fail liked that is extremely unlikely, even for the big 3 shippers.

Something was up, and I believe B&W would pack all of flagship line to take a bit of a beating, with special emphasis given to the tweeter.

Do you remember if there was some kind of special treatment given to the protection of the tweeter?

I mean, even if they did fall off a truck and fail I wouldn't think the magnet would be given enough room to flop around and kill the enclosure.

-------------
There is one method of shipping that could replace original packaging or augment it, or augment a piece of a foam that may have gone missing.

NOT CHEAP. It's a method called foam in place.

I looked into it for a small oscilloscope that had nothing fragile to break off. Over 200 bucks as it's a one off, and finding a place specializing in shipping fragile components is harder than it seems.

It's basically spray foam insulation, formulated with a bit more give. The process itself could break fragile components.

What they do is cover the item completely in plastic. Spray some foam in the bottom of the box and place the item in it as the foam is expanding. Or the item is suspended and the foam is allowed to expand up to the item.

Another layer of plastic is laid down to separate the halves of the g foam and then more is sprayed on top. After it's done expanding/solidifies they cut the foam flush with the box.

When done correctly (experience+correct foam) every bit of the item is supported and isn't going anywhere.

I don't even want to speculate on price for this even for some 805s speakers, but it would probably be the best option if complete factory shipping materials weren't available.

There was only one place in orange co California that even offered the service to the public.

Good luck.
I initially accused the seller of fraud because I thought the same thing of how could both tweeters do the same thing. In addition, I had been seeing a lot of damaged tweeters and B&W 805 speakers for sale on Ebay. So, I thought some scammer was trying to collect from insurance. After contacting the seller, he was extremely apologetic and refunded the full amount almost immediately. So, then I was stumped and had to eat a bit of crow since I had already somewhat accused him of fraud. As far as could tell, all the packaging was there.

Perhaps I'll make another attempt on a pair of 805's.
post #21169 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Have the same speakers and amp. My fronts are the 683 s2, but my surrounds are the 685 s2. I went with the HTM61 S2 and i love it. Its a fantastic center channel
That is great to hear about the HTM61 S2 center. During the S1 days the 685 or CMC2 seemed to be the only recommended options. I have three 685S1s in our great room setup (they are hidden). B&W did well here.
post #21170 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eorr23 View Post
Haha I noticed that too. There is also a pair of cherrywood 803's in Kingsman.
Haha! I actually posted a question here asking aboit that. I thought they were b&w's but ijust wasn't sure.
post #21171 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I am picky about dust. I just wipe off my Piano black CM 10-S2's every 2 weeks.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
post #21172 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I would never buy used speakers if they had to be shipped. Best to try to find something local and pickup. I got lucky and found my CM9 S2's 10 miles away and my CM10 s2's 80 miles away and picked them up. I know it can be hard finding stuff local sometimes.
Iceberg86300 likes this.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
Paradigm 490cc
post #21173 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Anyone in SF Bay Area interested in a pair of mint 805 Diamond in piano black with factory stands??

I am considering upgrade to the 802 Diamonds.....

HT Setup - Sony KDS-55A3000, Marantz SR8002, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX & Martin Logan Descent
2 Channel Setup - B&W 805 Diamond, Bluesound Vault, Mapletree Audio Line 2C RM, Aragon 2004 MKII
Alternative 2 Channel Setup - KEF LS50, Marantz SA-15S1, Marantz PM-15S1 & Martin Logan Depth
post #21174 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I initially accused the seller of fraud because I thought the same thing of how could both tweeters do the same thing. In addition, I had been seeing a lot of damaged tweeters and B&W 805 speakers for sale on Ebay. So, I thought some scammer was trying to collect from insurance. After contacting the seller, he was extremely apologetic and refunded the full amount almost immediately. So, then I was stumped and had to eat a bit of crow since I had already somewhat accused him of fraud. As far as could tell, all the packaging was there.

Perhaps I'll make another attempt on a pair of 805's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I would never buy used speakers if they had to be shipped. Best to try to find something local and pickup. I got lucky and found my CM9 S2's 10 miles away and my CM10 s2's 80 miles away and picked them up. I know it can be hard finding stuff local sometimes.

Definitely agree that local is the way to go on used stuff, but if it's not possible I don't mind the shipped stuff myself. Then again, as noted earlier, I've only got some 600s3's & an ASW600. The $ paid acquiring those 15 y/o speakers (and a Klipsch center) when new doesn't even begin to approach HALF the $ for a set of used 805s'.

Don't worry about the accusations. So many bad apples today that unfortunately it's just part of selling/buying online.

Well this was certainly a treat to come across.

http://www.bwgroupusa.com/bwgroup-pa...-complete.html

Spares, but also instructions. Possibly have the seller go over the tweeter and make sure everything is snugged up. Another possibly: see if they will remove the tweeter driver magnet etc, or the entire assembly, for shipping separately. Or have a dealer do it.

I'm sure you found the same, but from a cursory search some people have received brand new speakers with parts fallen off. Things are supposed to be snug, not manhandled tight, so vibrations in transit could cause things to become loose.

It's almost as if B & W should be shipping the tweeter innards separately, with dealers assembling them. It's a very simple process.

Steve

Last edited by Iceberg86300; Yesterday at 02:06 PM.
post #21175 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

How much?

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
Paradigm 490cc
post #21176 of 21180 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

Mission accomplished! And I'm happy to report that my Class D amps work beautifully with these speakers! Will post a new thread for them.
post #21177 of 21180 Old Today, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Probably getting the 803 diamond (getting them at a very cheap price from a friend); what do you recommend to power them (the cheaper the better) but not so cheaper where it diminishes quality
post #21178 of 21180 Old Today, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
Probably getting the 803 diamond (getting them at a very cheap price from a friend); what do you recommend to power them (the cheaper the better) but not so cheaper where it diminishes quality
I have not tried a lot of different amps with these. The stores where I was auditioning them were using McIntosh amps, and they sounded great.

The only amps I've used with them at home so far are the Bel Canto REF500M's. They are a perfect match. They have gobs of power. The bass is big and tight. I see someone has a used pair on audiogon:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sol...t-lake-city-ut

I wouldn't pay $2,500 for them though; you can probably get them for $2k or less.

They are great little amps -- small, light, extremely efficient power-wise, and they never get hot. When I crank them up, you wouldn't believe it's possible that they could generate that much sound!
post #21179 of 21180 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I was thinking of emotiva or outlaw.. but i just don't know enough

I might end up getting 802 diamond, he's got them for sale too but a few thousand more
post #21180 of 21180 Old Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
I was thinking of emotiva or outlaw.. but i just don't know enough

I might end up getting 802 diamond, he's got them for sale too but a few thousand more
Get the better speaker, you can always update amps later. XPA2 minimum for the 802s, although check with JDSmoothie on a Parasound A21.
Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - 802D by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page