B&W Owner's Thread - Page 726 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #21751 of 21753 Old Today, 04:45 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes I bought the Marantz SR5010. My original choice was a Onkyo TX747 glad I switched
Sponsored Links
post #21752 of 21753 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Originally Posted by CSMartins View Post
I am testing a pair of 685's S2 and there is something that's really bothering me and I am not sure if I can get rid of it.

They are currently hooked up to a yamaha rx v379 and what bothers me is the static/hissing I get from them when at higher volumes which in my case starts at around -8dB. Both speakers are set at half as far as their levels go. Problem is I can sorta hear it when playing music

I can listen to it with nothing playing too obviously, by just turning up the receiver's volume.

Any way I can get rid of it? I am using a bare speaker wire, no banana plugs yet.

Is it the receiver's fault? I reckon it's a cheap one compared to the speakers, I just can't make myself keep the speakers while having this issue. It's very annoying.

It could be several things, but it's not the speakers.
Probably the receiver.
Could also be noise from the electrical in your home.
You can get a good surge suppressor / power condition, that will help if it is the power in the house.

B&W 802 Diamonds | McIntosh C500T tube pre-amp | McIntosh MC601 mono block amplifiers (2) | Oppo BDP-105 | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner
post #21753 of 21753 Old Today, 05:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I'm not sure if this has been covered in the 1088pages of this thread, but I'm going to go ahead and post anyway in case it's useful to members.

I recently picked up a cheap CC6 S1 centre speaker to go with my DM602 S1 mains. I know this speaker has critics but it fits the space i have available and should match well with my DM602 S1s. I knew the tweeter wasn't working and that a B&W replacement can't be had anymore but I decided to take a punt that the ferrofluid had dried out (as is a know issue) and the tweeter could be repaired.

So the speaker arrived and I quickly dismantled it. Don't forget to mark on the tweeter which terminal is for the black and which is for the red wire - both plugs are the same size. The tweeter came apart easily and the ferrofluid was indeed dried up. However, the voice coil appeared to be intact. I put a multimeter across the terminals and recorded a resistance of 5.5 ohms so concluded that there was no break in the circuit and there was hope that it hadn't overloaded and burnt out. I cleaned the thickened ferrofluid off the coil with a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol - taking care not to damage the very fine wires that go from the coil to the terminals.

Then I set about cleaning the dried up ferrofluid out oft he gap between the inner and outer magnet. This took plenty of time beacuse it was super dry. I variously used a toothpick, a business card and folded tape. Adding some isopropyl alcohol helped. Eventually it was cleaned out. I ordered a satchel offerrofluid from an Aussie speaker repair place that sells them on eBay. More expensive than parts-express but the free postage made it faster and cheaper than post from the US.

Once it arrived it was simply a matter of trimming the end off the satchel (sized for 1 inch tweeters) and letting the fluid drain out into the gap between the magnets. No need to move the satchel around the edge,the fluid self distributed. Then I put the cone/voice coil assembly back inplace and reassembled the whole speaker. The cone assembly is held firm by the little plate that holds the tweeter in place in the speaker box so no glue or tape required. Easy as.

The tweeter appears to be working fine. the CC6 integrates with my front speakers very well - much better than my old centre. No sign of the muffled sound that some have reported - maybe their ferrofluid was drying out too?

Next I may have to think about re ferrofluiding my 602s as they're probably as old as the CC6 (about 17 years according to the date on the back of the tweeter).

I guess the purpose of this post is to let others know that if your S1 tweeter fails it is very possible to repair it yourself, and dead cheap. If your tweeter has failed you have nothing to lose. I'm fairly handy but I've never delved into speaker repair before.

Unfortunately I don't have enough posts yet to post pics:-(

Last edited by tristanpatt; Today at 05:25 PM.
Reply Speakers

802D , atmos , B W , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090
Gear in this thread - 802D by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page