B&W Owner's Thread - Page 767 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 401Likes

post #22981 of 22985 Old Today, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
I've owned the CM6S2s and now own the CM8S2s. IMO, CM8S2s are a better balanced speaker. Their midbass is so prominent yet extremely nimble, it's a pleasure to listen to. BTW, PV1D is a great sub.
thanks great advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22982 of 22985 Old Today, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi Jon,

800D3 will be released this summer in North America. The design was finished last year, and has been waiting for spare production capacity.

800D2 is still an excellent loudspeaker, more than capable of giving pleasure to whomever owns them. That said, in a reality lacking a perfect loudspeaker, it would be antithetical to who we are as a company to freeze the state of the art in 2010. There is much work to be done.

Best Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
Thanks, Patrick. I suppose that could be a valid argument if ones floor is lumpy. Since I live in Holladay and not a third world country, my basement floor is concrete and flat, not dirt, and is covered with padding and carpet. So, my speakers are level and don't rock. They require a fair amount of effort to move even on the casters. And, since when are the 800D2s "older"? The D3s haven't even been released yet, have they?

Don't mean to rude, but that makes no sense at all. I regard that train of thought as the same as I do many other audiophile theories, ie, flooby dust. If you look at the Stereophile review on these speakers, you'll find that according to the accelerometer readings the cabinets have essentially no resonances and hence no vibrations. Now, if my speakers vibrated like a coffee grinder, you'd have a very good point. The less your speaker cabinets vibrate, the less improvement you'll see by spiking. One must also realize that the only vibrations that could be transmitted through spikes to the floor are those that are present at the plinth. One must demonstrate significant plinth vibrations if one expects to realize any benefit by spiking. Any internal vibrations that do not transmit to the plinth itself will not be affected.

If you and Patrick would like to come on over and lift these 225# speakers so we can spike them, we could do some sighted A-B testing. We could even attach accelerometers to the plinths to take before and after measurements. I still have the spikes in their nice box stored in the turntable cabinet. I'll even buy you guys a drink. Until then, though, I see no need to risk marring my speakers or damaging my carpet for something that is obviously illogical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
Hi Patrick,

Will the replacement 800D3s be released soon? Can't wait to move the current relics down the road. Not.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #22983 of 22985 Old Today, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickering.tim View Post
i have a parasound A21 I use to drive my B&W Cm10s in a five channel (two subs) set up and I am looking for a solid power amp for my center and surrounds. I may add two channels at some point but I dont expect they would be anything bigger than then the CM5s and most likely they would smaller (m1s?). My center is a CMC2 and surrounds are CM5s (all S1 if you want to call them that)

I was considering getting an A31 or A51 from parasound but for the cost in my setup I just cantt justify it given these speakers are only for surround duties. I am considering a ROtel 1555 which i think goes for like 1600 bucks and is A/B which i assume would mate nicely wit hmy A21. Anyone use the 1555 to drive their CM series speakers and have any impressions? Other amps I should be considering?

thanks for the help!
Audio control or Emotiva.
post #22984 of 22985 Old Today, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Jon,

800D3 will be released this summer in North America. The design was finished last year, and has been waiting for spare production capacity.

800D2 is still an excellent loudspeaker, more than capable of giving pleasure to whomever owns them. That said, in a reality lacking a perfect loudspeaker, it would be antithetical to who we are as a company to freeze the state of the art in 2010. There is much work to be done.

Best Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Hi Patrick,

I was just kidding about your referring to the current model as "older" months before the replacement even becomes available. Assuming that B&W continues to improve each generation of the 800 series, and they were excellent in the mid 90s, and the 800D2s are four or five generations later, they should be near perfection. It also stands to reason that the closer each generation approaches perfection, the less room for improvement there is for subsequent generations. I fully expect B&W to keep striving for the perfect loudspeaker, realizing that it will remain out of reach. It's like every other product, each generation is an awesome improvement, only when it's successor comes along do we recognize the limitations of the predecessor.

This is true of all products, everything is always new and improved. I've been shooting a Nikon D300 for almost 8 years, which is Nikon's flagship Pro DX DSLR. Many of us have been eagerly anticipating a D400 for 3-4 years. Nikon, to almost everyone's surprise, recently announced the replacement, which they call the D500. It's an awesome camera by specifications, almost twice the resolution, much better low light performance, faster frame rate, three times the AF points, 4K video, etc. The announcement prompted me to revisit both my D200 and D300. They remain wonderful tools and produce incredibly nice images. Here's a recent one I took at a nearby stream.:

As I look at this photo, I don't see much room for improvement. So, I did what any avid hobbyist would do. I preordered the D500.
post #22985 of 22985 Old Today, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Audio control or Emotiva.
Emotiva doesn't interest me much but I have not experienced their amps personally either. Just going off what I read about them I do not think their amps would blend well with my personal preferences. I do not know anything about Audio Control, can you provide more specifically which of their amps you would recommend?

Anyone have experience with the RMB 1555 driving smaller B&W speakers like CM5s or the like? It seems very reasonably priced and value wise I think it fits the profile of what I am seeking but I was hoping someone might have more hands on experience to share some thoughts.

B&W CM10s, CMC2, CM5s, SVS SB2000 x2, KEF LS50 x2, Infiniti Alpha 50 towers
Marantz SR7009, Marantz UD7007, T-PC50st60, Parasound JC-2 BP Preamp, Parasound Halo A21 Stereo Amplifier, Parasound Halo 2.1 Integrated Amplifier, Benchmark DAC2 DX, Essence HDACC Audio control Center,Marantz SR5009, Oppo DBP 105D, MiniDSP DDRCA-88A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090