B&W Owner's Thread - Page 798 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 599Likes

post #23911 of 23926 Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked45 View Post
What hertz should i set my CM10's and CMC2 S2 to on my AVR? Some say 60hz and others say 80hz?
I would use 60 for the CM10s (or 50 if an option) and 80 for the CMC2.
postrokfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23912 of 23926 Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by advanced101101 View Post
Yes, unless you can/ want use another 805 D3 as your center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Best option if possible....

I prefer the look of a real center channel, is there a downside to using an HTM2 D3 over a 805d3? thanks again .. how about a Nautilus HTM2
post #23913 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Well a lot of movies have pans that frequently go across all 3 speakers. So effects and dialogue are certainly noticeable to me when the speakers aren't well matched.

Front to rear matching is also important, but less so if you're viewing habits tend toward action films. Concerts and films where the score bleeds into the rears it's definitely important IMO.
thanks jeahrens...
I will be addressing the surrounds after i figure out what to do about center channel.. although I really done have space or funds to perfectly match surrounds with my 803 D2 fronts. Probably should have also asked what folks thought would be a good match in a bookshelf size speaker.

thanks again..
post #23914 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any CM10S2 owners have any feelings about how they stack up to the Paradigm Prestige towers? I realize this is a B&W thread but just wondering if anyone who went with CM10s made this comparison. I haven't heard the Paradigm's yet but they have gotten pretty good reviews within the same price category. Just curious.

post #23915 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Wondering if someone could help with this question I have. I purchased the CM Center S2 for my system and it does sound good. With MCACC EQ it's slightly low during dialog parts. If I turn up the volume then the action scenes are too loud. I realize they're meant to be loud but they are even louder than they should be. I'm wondering if a CM Center 2 S2 would help with this given my room size? - and maybe that's the right center vs the smaller CM Center 2 without the mid bass. You can see pictures of my room in the signature link.

==============================
FS: Proficient GL6 Center Channel Speaker

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
post #23916 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Wondering if someone could help with this question I have. I purchased the CM Center S2 for my system and it does sound good. With MCACC EQ it's slightly low during dialog parts. If I turn up the volume then the action scenes are too loud. I realize they're meant to be loud but they are even louder than they should be. I'm wondering if a CM Center 2 S2 would help with this given my room size? - and maybe that's the right center vs the smaller CM Center 2 without the mid bass. You can see pictures of my room in the signature link.
I've had this issue with the YPAO on my Yamaha leaving the center a bit low during some movies. Idk if this is the preferred method but I would try just adding a few db to the level of the center manually so that its volume is boosted in relation to the fronts. Play around with topping off that center level to see how it sounds in different scenes. See if that does anything for you before upgrading.

post #23917 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 11:48 AM

B&W Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post
I've had this issue with the YPAO on my Yamaha leaving the center a bit low during some movies. Idk if this is the preferred method but I would try just adding a few db to the level of the center manually so that its volume is boosted in relation to the fronts. Play around with topping off that center level to see how it sounds in different scenes. See if that does anything for you before upgrading.

Thanks for the response. This works, and it doesn't. It works in that the lower dialogue scenes are clearly audible if I boost center a few decibels. It doesn't work in that during the action scenes or left to right sweeps, it sound unbalanced as the center channel plays louder than it should. Additionally, I believe the MCACC did a good job calibrating the center channels volume compared to the speakers around it. My question is more in relation to whether the extra speaker within the CM Center 2 S2 or its pure size increase will balance out the dialogue volume while keeping the action scenes level with the fronts/front heights.

post #23918 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
Quote:
Thanks for the response. This works, and it doesn't. It works in that the lower dialogue scenes are clearly audible if I boost center a few decibels. It doesn't work in that during the action scenes or left to right sweeps, it sound unbalanced as the center channel plays louder than it should. Additionally, I believe the MCACC did a good job calibrating the center channels volume compared to the speakers around it. My question is more in relation to whether the extra speaker within the CM Center 2 S2 or its pure size increase will balance out the dialogue volume while keeping the action scenes level with the fronts/front heights.
A larger center might be better for that space but it probably won't fix what is likely a calibration issue.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #23919 of 23926 Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
What are the plugs used for on the back of the CM10's? My speakers are placed about 1.5 feet from the wall.
post #23920 of 23926 Old 07-24-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
A larger center might be better for that space but it probably won't fix what is likely a calibration issue.

Got it. Well I have my UMIK-1 coming Wednesday and already got a boom mic stand and long HDMI cord so I'm all set to run REW. I'll see then.

post #23921 of 23926 Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
Quote:
Got it. Well I have my UMIK-1 coming Wednesday and already got a boom mic stand and long HDMI cord so I'm all set to run REW. I'll see then.
Great. Will be interested to hear how it goes.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #23922 of 23926 Old 07-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus87 View Post
Any CM10S2 owners have any feelings about how they stack up to the Paradigm Prestige towers? I realize this is a B&W thread but just wondering if anyone who went with CM10s made this comparison. I haven't heard the Paradigm's yet but they have gotten pretty good reviews within the same price category. Just curious.
I had a very difficult time choosing between the CM10S2 and the Prestige 95F. They both sound very good. I listened to the smaller models of the CM series and the Prestige series at the same local dealer. I ultimately choose the CM10S2 and the matching large CM S2 center. The Prestige are better at home theater duties, but the CM series are better at music. The CMs simply resolve more detail from music. It all depends on what you plan to use the speakers for. Here is a summary list of my finding:

Prestige series:
Better at home theater if you choose the larger models (hard to beat 8" drivers for home theater)
Good imaging
Great build quality, but they do cost more for the better finish.
Mid range not as good as CM series (this is debatable according to personal taste)
More forgiving of different source qualities and Pre/Pro/Amp combinations

CM series:
Better at music, I was blown away on some songs (I was never blown away on the Prestige)
Great imaging when setup correctly
Great build quality with much better internal bracing (crossover quality is a tie)
Great mid range with good clarity.
Great at home theater, but nothing beats displacement.
Less forgiving of poor quality sources and Pre/Pro/Amp combinations. You need good upstream components for them to sound their best.

Again, it depends on your listening goals. I wanted to find the best speaker that I could audition in person (no cross shipping). My original front runners were the Martin Logan Motion 60XT. This all changed when someone at Best Buy setup the CMs in the same room. I could not believe that a dome tweeter in this price range could beat an FMT, but there was no contest. The CMs were better from top to bottom.

I hope this helps.
post #23923 of 23926 Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETPCTECH View Post
I had a very difficult time choosing between the CM10S2 and the Prestige 95F. They both sound very good. I listened to the smaller models of the CM series and the Prestige series at the same local dealer. I ultimately choose the CM10S2 and the matching large CM S2 center. The Prestige are better at home theater duties, but the CM series are better at music. The CMs simply resolve more detail from music. It all depends on what you plan to use the speakers for. Here is a summary list of my finding:

Prestige series:
Better at home theater if you choose the larger models (hard to beat 8" drivers for home theater)
Good imaging
Great build quality, but they do cost more for the better finish.
Mid range not as good as CM series (this is debatable according to personal taste)
More forgiving of different source qualities and Pre/Pro/Amp combinations

CM series:
Better at music, I was blown away on some songs (I was never blown away on the Prestige)
Great imaging when setup correctly
Great build quality with much better internal bracing (crossover quality is a tie)
Great mid range with good clarity.
Great at home theater, but nothing beats displacement.
Less forgiving of poor quality sources and Pre/Pro/Amp combinations. You need good upstream components for them to sound their best.

Again, it depends on your listening goals. I wanted to find the best speaker that I could audition in person (no cross shipping). My original front runners were the Martin Logan Motion 60XT. This all changed when someone at Best Buy setup the CMs in the same room. I could not believe that a dome tweeter in this price range could beat an FMT, but there was no contest. The CMs were better from top to bottom.

I hope this helps.
Much appreciated, encouraging to know that these two are very much in the same league. I will do the CM10s. I will likely be 70% HT/30% Music but I will add a quality SVS or MartinLogan sub to help out on the HT side of things. I think I just loved the look of the Prestige and while I don't dislike the CM10s, the tweeter on top isn't nearly as appealing as on the more rounded 804D3s, which are unfortunately a bridge too far financially. But I can get a better deal on B&W than Paradigm and there is a something about the British brand that I have a fondness for. Thanks for the help.

post #23924 of 23926 Old Today, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi SodomySquirrel,

Have you finished your placement and calibration of your home theatre setup? I'm particularly interested in how your CM6 S2's sound in the rear. Did you bi-wire them for the back as well?

As stated before I was going to go with CM8 S2's but reconsidered it cause the midrange driver would hit my couch and not have a clear line of sound even placed on Auralex Subdudes as well so I've decided to go with CM6 S2's. A bit overkill but I figured they would match my fronts aesthetically as well and it would be nice match as well. As for stands I will buy 28 inch stands and that should be adequate for them to get a clear line of sound. Target Audio stands are the ones I'm looking at right now. I don't think B&W makes 28 inch tall stands.

Anyways, hope you are enjoying your system SodomySquirrel. Any forum members also can chime in as well here too. Anyone own B&W FM-CM S2 stands as well can surely write in and let me know if you use these for your surround speakers. Are these stands optimal for surround speakers in the back? Thanks all.

Audiomanz
Yes i did finish the placement. The CM6 sounds amazing, but tbh are overkill for rears. Like I said before if I could go back in time I'd just pickup CM1s.

I only biwired the LR and Center. I didn't bother to biwire the rear.

By SVS did just die on me. AMP needs to be replaced. Less than 90 days old

Sub - SVS SB13-Ultra w/ AudioQuest Black Lab (REL T9 retired)
AVR - Denon X6200W // TV - 65JS9500 (64F8500 65ZT60 52Z5100 retired)
post #23925 of 23926 Old Today, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 17
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eatre/M-1.html

I hope that these would work as my rears. I have pretty large fronts including Centre 2 S2. I plan to add 9's someday.

I have a flat wall, no shelves and no room for stands. I need wall mounted speakers that can face in towards the MLA, couch on wall. I do move couch out for movies, so they also need to swivel some.

I have read that wall brackets are determined where you buy(?)

Is this true, or do they have to be bought separately?
post #23926 of 23926 Old Today, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodomySquirrel View Post
Yes i did finish the placement. The CM6 sounds amazing, but tbh are overkill for rears. Like I said before if I could go back in time I'd just pickup CM1s.

I only biwired the LR and Center. I didn't bother to biwire the rear.

By SVS did just die on me. AMP needs to be replaced. Less than 90 days old
Hi SodomySquirrel. I received my CM6 S2's as well and have them hooked up as surrounds. I purchased the matching stands to go with them as well. The sound is complete and I'm enjoying an all around front to back surround imaging. They are still in the break in period as they are only a week old but couldn't be happier with them. I am currently experimenting using the port plugs cause they are close to the back wall. I have the set to 80hz crossover. How do you find your Canare 4S11 for your centre channel? I'm considering getting them for my surround speakers and for the centre channel as well.

I think the CM6 S2s look really sharp as surround speakers and I find that when called upon can deliver very satisfying surround effects. Watch Roger Waters The Wall live on blu ray and you will see what I mean. I'm sure when these are fully broken in it will sound even better. So hats off to you SodomySquirrel and try not to regret too much on this decision as I'm sure you are enjoying just as much as I am too. :-)

Audiomanz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090