B&W Owner's Thread - Page 812 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 677Likes

post #24331 of 24336 Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I had the chance to listen to the CM10 S2 (in rather poor conditions at Best Buy) and while they didn't have the CM9 in the same room (or even able to demo since that room's speaker distribution system was borked) from memory the CM10 had an edge.

What's really amazed me about the CM9 and the CM10 is the breadth of the soundstage and the clarity of the music - everything just sounds open and detailed, it's hard to explain really.

I need to go to find a dealer with the CM10 and the 805 D3 so I can A/B them. I know the drivers are more advanced in the 805, but losing dedicated midrange and woofer drivers seems like it could be a big drawback.

The 804 D3 I suppose would be the best of both worlds, but at a significant jump in price, and I wonder how much of a difference I'd hear in typical at-home use.

I'd also love to compare them against the Paradigm Prestige 95F speakers that I listened to last week and really loved. Demoing different speakers at different stores makes it hard to really compare the ins-and-outs of each.

Has anyone here compared the Paradigms to the CM10s directly? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24332 of 24336 Old Today, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 551
That's what I love about the dealer I have, @Audio Video Therapy . I could hear every one of them you mentioned in their store, then take them one at a time for a few days to audition in my home. I take it you have no such dealer?
Patrick Butler likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #24333 of 24336 Old Today, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
That's what I love about the dealer I have, @Audio Video Therapy . I could hear every one of them you mentioned in their store, then take them one at a time for a few days to audition in my home. I take it you have no such dealer?
Unfortunately no. One place has Paradigm (still in the running) and Goldenear (probably out of the running, though I'd like to hear the Triton 5s), another has PSB (have yet to audition), another a couple hours away has Vandersteen (have yet to audition), and the local Best Buys had the CM9 and CM10 (though each had only one of the two hooked up) but supposedly the one one city down with a Magnolia Design Center has the 800 series.

Then there's the boutique stuff that I hear raves about like Philharmonic Audio that I have no means of auditioning but still has my interest.

So far the B&W CM10 is my favorite out of the speakers I've listened to.
post #24334 of 24336 Old Today, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi mpauline,

I think three 805D3 would sound wonderful across the front stage of a theater system. A bit limited in how loudly they will play, but I think you know that already. Personally I'd rather have 803D3 and wait to upgrade the center, but that's my particular set of priorities.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauline View Post
Patrick any input?
post #24335 of 24336 Old Today, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Hi magicvinny,

More of a mixed bag. The treble and mid are clearly superior with 805D3, while headroom and low bass would be better with CT-8.4. Because I don't need something that can play as loudly as CT-8.4 and I would be using a sub, I think 805D3 would be the way to go.

Cheers,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
I'm actually having a bit the same question for Patrick. I have now the B&W CT8.4 behind an AT screen but I was wondering if the 805D3 would be an upgrade or more a sidegrade? I would use 3 of them behind my AT screen.
magicvinny likes this.
post #24336 of 24336 Old Today, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I
had the 805d3's and they are VERY nice and powerful with an Arcam A49. That Arcam is a monster with these speakers, it can get super loud with no distortion. But I started to feel like they were too bright even though they sounded superb. But if you like the sound you can't go wrong. I actually downgraded to the cm9's because I really couldn't afford to make the payments on the 805d3 or the Arcam. So now I just have the cm10's, Marantz 6010, and Emotiva xpa3 2nd gen from eBay. I am waiting on my cmc2 s2 from best buy. But I am satisfied right now. But back to your issue, you also need a Subs with the 805d3's in my opinion. I am going with Svs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page