B&W Owner's Thread - Page 823 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 749Likes

post #24661 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakeplease View Post
Yeah those are killer deals its very tempting. I never heard the q900s so Im considering those.

I'd like to make a slight correction to my description of what I'm looking for after listening to music for the past 3 hours.

It basically comes down to a main thing which is, I do not like vocals in front of the instruments. I'm listening to Tron Legacy, Dubstep and country music right now and it is glorious how real the vocals sound on the monitor audios but I keep finding myself turning up the volume because I want to hear the instruments.

When I meant powerful, it was an ineffective way of describing how I'm feeling when I hear the music coming out of speakers that places vocals primarily in the front because it doesn't sound as strong in my ears. The trumpets, the horns, guitars are all recessed behind the person's singing and that's what I meant.

Listening to dubstep, I would prefer to hear the WWAH WAH WAHHHHH more than the female vocals. So it has a pseudo acoustic feel to me when my main genre is electronic and rock and roll.
If you prefer a more laid back vocal presentation, I would think B&W 600 series will suit your taste better than the KEF Q or Monitor Audio Bronze..

However, if your budget allow, I would strongly recommend audition the KEF R300..

5.2.4 HT - Sony XBR75X850C, Denon X6200W, Monitor Audio GS60, GSLCR, GSFX, 4 x C380LCR and 2 x Martin Logan Descent I
2 Channel - Ascend Sierra Tower w/ RAAL, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Marantz SA-KI-Pearl, Parasound Halo P5/A21, SVS SB13 Ultra and ATS Acoustics room treatments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24662 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 672
I'm thinking the type of "impact" wanted here merits the inclusion of Klipsch "Reference Premier" series RP28-F into the mix. Big sound, huge soundstage, in-your-face looks and relatively cheap to buy.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #24663 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The dreaded upgrade bug has hit again and I'm looking to upgrade my 16:9 dedicated theater to a 2.35 screen. Unfortunately I'm running into somewhat of a horizontal space limitation. Currently my front soundstage consists of B&W CM9 (S1) and a CMC2 (S1). I love the sound of these speakers and won't part with them, however I really need to either tightly corner load them or move to an in-wall solution to fit my desired screen size.

What is typically considered the best B&W in-wall that matches closely to the CM series?

post #24664 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Hi BroUK,

We would recommend the CI700 Series, and the CWM7.3 in particular. Barney Miller's in your area can give you a hand.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdoUK View Post
The dreaded upgrade bug has hit again and I'm looking to upgrade my 16:9 dedicated theater to a 2.35 screen. Unfortunately I'm running into somewhat of a horizontal space limitation. Currently my front soundstage consists of B&W CM9 (S1) and a CMC2 (S1). I love the sound of these speakers and won't part with them, however I really need to either tightly corner load them or move to an in-wall solution to fit my desired screen size.

What is typically considered the best B&W in-wall that matches closely to the CM series?
post #24665 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi BroUK,

We would recommend the CI700 Series, and the CWM7.3 in particular. Barney Miller's in your area can give you a hand.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
Thanks Patrick! Was just in Barney Miller's today looking around .
post #24666 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 118
They are great people. I'm traveling from Boston to Lexington to see them next Thursday. The great bourbon and hospitality makes these trips special!

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdoUK View Post
Thanks Patrick! Was just in Barney Miller's today looking around .
post #24667 of 24671 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
They are great people. I'm traveling from Boston to Lexington to see them next Thursday. The great bourbon and hospitality makes these trips special!

Patrick
Love good small batch Kentucky Bourbon! Sipping some Jefferson's Ocean, Aged At Sea tonight. I have three bottles, each from a different aging trip a-sea.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Sumiko Pearl, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
post #24668 of 24671 Old Today, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am looking at potentially getting Trinnov's Altitude 32 with the 3 LCR B&W 802d3's and was wondering about bi-amping and whether anyone here recommends it? Not sure if 802d3 would support active biamping becuase we'd need to bypass the internal crossover, but even that aside I wonder if Trinnov's ability would help here to improve bi-amping performance.
Does anyone here have experience with that? For amplification I'm looking at Classe at the moment.
post #24669 of 24671 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I'm thinking the type of "impact" wanted here merits the inclusion of Klipsch "Reference Premier" series RP28-F into the mix. Big sound, huge soundstage, in-your-face looks and relatively cheap to buy.
All of my Klipsh speakers , RF 82'S, 63's and 7's were harsh to my ears. They flat put out some power in my bedroom.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
2 S-VHS VCR's B&W CM10 S2's
post #24670 of 24671 Old Today, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousDelicious View Post
I am looking at potentially getting Trinnov's Altitude 32 with the 3 LCR B&W 802d3's and was wondering about bi-amping and whether anyone here recommends it? Not sure if 802d3 would support active biamping becuase we'd need to bypass the internal crossover, but even that aside I wonder if Trinnov's ability would help here to improve bi-amping performance.
Does anyone here have experience with that? For amplification I'm looking at Classe at the moment.
In my opinion I would not waste your money on passive bi-amping.

post #24671 of 24671 Old Today, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I don't want to reawaken the "all amps sound the same argument," which is too reductive, but I have to push back a bit on this meme that there is some mystical property to B&W speakers that requires high power amps. Unless you are sitting very, very far away, providing 100 amps to one of these CM speakers is going to result in absurdly high decibel levels. You will find that at the vast majority of listening levels, the power draw from the amp is no more than 10, maybe 20, maybe 30 amps. A 100-watt amp is going to provide more than enough headroom to to cover momentary spikes in volume. Having a 200-watt or 300-watt amp doesn't make the sound "beefier" or "louder," unless you are actually clipping when playing at high volumes with a lower powered amp; you're just paying extra for unused power.

There can be good reasons to go with separates; peace of mind, bling factor, a huge room that really does require high power to hit reference level, ultra-low-sensitivity speakers that require high power to hit reference level, or some combination of these; but for the vast majority of situations a 100-watt amp is fine.
This is a good point. I just replaced my Proceed AMP5 for my mains and moved it to the Atmos speakers with a Macintosh MC8207. Now i do like the sound across the 7 channels for main and surrounds from the Macintosh BUT I actually was laughing watching the meters on the Macintosh. I couldn't sit in the room at 40 let alone 100 or more. See my sig line for the setup...802's and 805's.

Home Theater: B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One

Last edited by BondDonBond; Today at 12:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090